Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wyoak posted:

where do you live? I'm in Denver and it seems like people have been doing a decent job since that run on liquor stores a few weeks back.

Anecdotes don't mean anything on the larger scale obviously but certain areas are definitely more "in" than others

Georgia. I commute from Bremen (actually an even smaller town outside that one) to Atlanta every day and honestly, other than randomly seeing a pedestrian commit suicide-by-truck last week, nothing has changed all that much.

I mean, the dry-cleaners I use for my office attire clothes is open tomorrow (only going to collect my clothes from last week and start using my new "stay the gently caress home" time to wash and iron them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

More air.

Turns out it was a combination of exhaustion (my wife has been quite ill and still working from home so I've been doing childcare & teaching them & working my normal jobs) and hyperventilation from coughing jags.

Im glad it was just that im sorry your wife is so sick man thats horrible I hope she gets better soon

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
the UFC has decided to acquire a private island so that it can still produce events during the pandemic

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/mma-ufc/dana-white-says-ufc-close-to-securing-private-island-for-events-2001218/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lamech posted:

the UFC has decided to acquire a private island so that it can still produce events during the pandemic

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/mma-ufc/dana-white-says-ufc-close-to-securing-private-island-for-events-2001218/

how long will it take for that island to be full of corona?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lamech posted:

Cool!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

comin' at you live from the civil defense shack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRlse3yycOg

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

anatomi posted:

My sister got me a mask with FFP2 classification (I think that's equivalent to N95?). It's one of those cloth masks for use in an environment with dust and vapours, so I assume it doesn't filter air going out.

Is it possible to clean a mask like that and reuse it?

Clean? No. Eventually it will fill with dust particles and there's nothing you can do about that. If it gets oily it's done, there's no way to clean off oil without destroying the structure. Soap and water will destroy the filtering capacity of the mask.

You can disinfect a basically clean mask though.
1. Bake in a 168F oven for 30 minutes
2. Expose it to hot steam for 10 minutes.
3. If you have a UVC light that'll do it.
4. Just put it away for 4 days at room temperature.

https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing-medical-masks-for-reuse-coronavirus.html

quote:

Referring to a paper published in the journal Annals of Occupational Hygiene in 2009, among others, the researchers compared and contrasted these different methods for sterilizing N95 masks, many of which were ineffective:

Heat in an oven for 30 minutes at 158 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius)
Use ultraviolet light for 30 minutes
Soak the mask in 75% ethyl alcohol, then let it dry
Clean the mask with liquid or vapor hydrogen peroxide
Clean the mask with bleach

Steam the mask with hot vapor from boiling water
Microwave the mask
Use extreme heat in an oven or autoclave
Soak in soap and water

"To be useful, a decontamination method must eliminate the viral threat, be harmless to end-users and retain respirator integrity," they wrote.

All of the methods used were believed effective for destroying coronaviruses, they wrote, but not all of them were good ideas.

"DO NOT use alcohol and chlorine [bleach]-based disinfection methods," they wrote. "These will remove the static charge in the microfibers in N95 facial masks, reducing filtration efficiency. In addition, chlorine also retains gas after de-contamination, and these fumes may be harmful."

Microwaves tended to melt the masks and render them useless.

Hydrogen peroxide and ultraviolet radiation appeared to be at least somewhat more effective, they wrote, "but it is not known if they would retain filtration, material strength and airflow integrity with repeated use."

Autoclaves, 320 F [160 C] ovens, and soap and water soaking, all appeared ineffective, they wrote.

However, they wrote, "70 C / 158 F heating in a kitchen-type of oven for 30 min, or hot water vapor from boiling water for 10 min, are additional effective decontamination methods."

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 7, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
A mask with a reduced filtering capacity is still a viable mask.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm still having to come into the office, and today I'm supposed to be training multiple people from outside on how to use a mobile phone app ie they need to stand close enough to me to see what I'm doing on a phone screen.

Weekends cannot come fast enough.

Microsoft teams meeting cast the phone to teams. If people are too dumb to teams cast to a laptop hooked to a projector or big screen. Don’t kiss eachother to show a drat app.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boar guy posted:

"In one of the most iron-fisted containment methods of any state, Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered all California residents to “shelter in place” on Thursday, to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

What that means:

everyone is still violating this order, gathering in parks and having cocktail hours 'where we stay six feet apart' in their neighborhoods

i got in a fight with someone i've know for almost 20 years when i called them a dipshit for going to starbucks 4 times a day in their pajamas and they just couldn't understand why i couldn't take a joke

in my part of LA the parks are not crowded and people are [i]generally
pretty good about keeping distance on the street. but the idea that there is any kind of "iron fisted containment" going on is a joke. however at least all the beaches are closed

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shaocaholica posted:

A mask with a reduced filtering capacity is still a viable mask.

True. If it gets significantly clogged with dirt you'll know because it will get harder and harder to breath. If the structure is damaged making the holes bigger it will get easier to breathe. But either way if you aren't in a hospital performing aerosol generating procedures an N95 mask is probably massive overkill, and even a damaged mask will help muffle your coughs and reduce inhaled aerosols.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The cops fly an helicopter over our beach every other day, it's annoying

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine saying the virus was a hoax only to get it and have your life saved by a chinese made ventilator.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

in my part of LA the parks are not crowded and people are generally pretty good about keeping distance on the street. but the idea that there is any kind of "iron fisted containment" going on is a joke. however at least all the beaches are closed

yeah down here no one in OC cares either

it's not Australia levels of 'leaving your house for any reason is illegal', at least from my understanding, and as such, no one is taking it seriously

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Lamech posted:

Are they gonna rape kids there too?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Even *if* it is a medically valid practice (which is absolutely a stretch), applying that to coronavirus in any way, shape or form is completely improper.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Trump’s antics re hydroxychloroquine may have caused the reintroduction of malaria to the United States.

Travellers to areas where malaria is endemic take antimalarials like hydroxychloroquine. If they are bitten by an infected mosquito, the hydroxychloroquine in their body is toxic to the parasite and will help take care of it.

The drug has to be taken for weeks after leaving malaria‐infested areas. Many Americans were repatriated from such areas in March, including the entire Peace Corps. They have been unable to get hydroxychloroquine due to the run on it as an alleged miracle cure for CoViD.

Without the drug in their systems, any malarial parasites that entered their bodies while they were oversees could reproduce. Species of mosquitos capable of acting as vectors are present in much of the contiguous United States. If one of these travellers is bitten by a mosquito, malaria could take flight once again.

The U.S. has had quite a few limited outbreaks in the last sixty years, infecting people who have never left the country. These outbreaks have been investigated and stamped out by the CDC, which was at one time entirely dedicated to the control of malaria.

Never before have their been this many travellers returning from the tropics, and never before has there been a shortage of antimalarial drugs.

This is absolutely hilarious and do you have a source I can look at or some more reading?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
every time someone spams a bunch of links at once its a sure sign they google them without reading. i looked at the first link. the study and control groups saw similar results. so use mouthwash and put your brain back together

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
someone posted a good non-sewing origami mask tutorial in here, can anyone relink please?

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Trump’s antics re hydroxychloroquine may have caused the reintroduction of malaria to the United States.

Travellers to areas where malaria is endemic take antimalarials like hydroxychloroquine. If they are bitten by an infected mosquito, the hydroxychloroquine in their body is toxic to the parasite and will help take care of it.

The drug has to be taken for weeks after leaving malaria‐infested areas. Many Americans were repatriated from such areas in March, including the entire Peace Corps. They have been unable to get hydroxychloroquine due to the run on it as an alleged miracle cure for CoViD.

Without the drug in their systems, any malarial parasites that entered their bodies while they were oversees could reproduce. Species of mosquitos capable of acting as vectors are present in much of the contiguous United States. If one of these travellers is bitten by a mosquito, malaria could take flight once again.

The U.S. has had quite a few limited outbreaks in the last sixty years, infecting people who have never left the country. These outbreaks have been investigated and stamped out by the CDC, which was at one time entirely dedicated to the control of malaria.

Never before have their been this many travellers returning from the tropics, and never before has there been a shortage of antimalarial drugs.

Capitalism works!!!1

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just let the mega churches and Alex Jones mix some hydroxychloroquine with silver shavings and sell it to their listeners for $5000 a bottle. I'm OK with this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

The Walrus posted:

someone posted a good non-sewing origami mask tutorial in here, can anyone relink please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QYaMTKxBQ

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boar guy posted:

yeah down here no one in OC cares either

it's not Australia levels of 'leaving your house for any reason is illegal', at least from my understanding, and as such, no one is taking it seriously

LA county officials announced yesterday that this week people should avoid even going to the grocery store if possible.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

Just let the mega churches and Alex Jones mix some hydroxychloroquine with silver shavings and sell it to their listeners for $5000 a bottle. I'm OK with this.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine saying the virus was a hoax only to get it and have your life saved by a chinese made ventilator.

would someone who thinks its totally fake really blame china in the first place though

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Speaking of using UVC for decontamination, is there a minimum time at a minimum intensity required?

Like if I just had a UVGI lamp on a battery, duct taped to my hat, would I need a mask, or could I say that virus particles are going to be reliably neutralized before they get to me? UVC lamps can cause skin burns and retinal damage, so having one operating on your person at all times seems like it would be a good way to enforce social distancing.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
who was that goon who was going to fill their bathroom with dangerous levels of ozone to decontaminate things or something a few weeks ago are they uhhh ok

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dana White is an absolute maniac but I love it. Makes sense to offer up live ppv somehow as I bet more people than usual will buy it due to being stuck in.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

LA county officials announced yesterday that this week people should avoid even going to the grocery store if possible.

far too many people take "should" as a challenge

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/...D551%23lastpost

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

It's useful as a mouthwash.

Why don't you suggest using mouthwash to treat coronavirus? Because it's dumb as gently caress.

None of this says anything to support the crux of your assertion, which is apparently "oral health is tied to overall health". And that's being *really really kind*, because even if that were to be true "overall health" is incredibly vague and not something you should use as a basis to LITERALLY BE RECOMMENDING TREATMENTS TO SYMPTOMATIC COVID19 PATIENTS

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Earwicker posted:

Isn't that the whole point? You don't go out to hang at the grocery store, you only go if you're running out of food.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that the whole point? You don't go out to hang at the grocery store, you only go if you're running out of food.

i think it's like 'if you need sustenance, go ahead and go to the store, but the ginger you need for the perfect fried rice can wait'

again, though, none of it carries the force of law. the local donut place, the dry cleaner, etc.- all still open

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilmucche posted:

well yes of course but the official line from county and city authorities so far was simply "you can go to the grocery store" so now they are trying to emphasize that if you currently have enough food to get through the next couple weeks, just dont go at all. many people already know to behave like this naturally but it hadnt been said at an official level yet.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lol my neighbors are just going about their business like nothing is happening last week there was a cable line down blocking the road and a cop saw my neighbor coming come with mulch and they shook hands and the cop didn't seem to give a poo poo at all. We are some of the younger people in the neighborhood and all of these grandparents are having kids and grandkids over constantly, friends over etc.

The one house with a bunch of young dudes down the street just having random rear end people over constantly lol. poo poo is going to be so hosed soon i feel like I'm going to be hearing ambulances all day.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
You should put a UV lamp next to their house. It won't get rid of the crowd today but if I'm reading the literature right it will stop them from coming back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
dont even put that idea out there

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking of using UVC for decontamination, is there a minimum time at a minimum intensity required?

Like if I just had a UVGI lamp on a battery, duct taped to my hat, would I need a mask, or could I say that virus particles are going to be reliably neutralized before they get to me? UVC lamps can cause skin burns and retinal damage, so having one operating on your person at all times seems like it would be a good way to enforce social distancing.

This is a bad idea. Do not gently caress around with UVC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
where is this?