Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

LastGoodBoy posted:

I also predict Izu will become bad for an episode or two for whatever reason, ala Poppy.

If that means Izu becomes a Rider, then I am all for it. Then we can have two female riders that don't get any upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

LastGoodBoy posted:

It's going to be the vice president.
Clearly it will be Wazu, back from the grave.

Blockhouse posted:

Ain't no material that says Naki is a woman btw
I think there's a little misinformation related to Naki and her actress, Nakayama. Nakayama uses female pronouns for herself, and a cursory google search shows she officially refers to herself as a ジェンダーレス女子 (Genderless Girl, just searching the term causes her to appear most prominently) which according to the Japanese LGBT community is someone who doesn't bother with the concept of what determines gender, which is separate from agender (アジェンダー), which to them is someone who explicitly has no gender.
She's even namedropped in the first article.

Rainbow Life on Nakayama posted:

人気テレビ番組「深イイ話」の出演でも話題になった中山咲月さんはジェンダーレス女子でモデルとしても活躍。ツイッターでも「カッコイイ」と大人気の彼女。

Mr./Ms. Satsuki Nakayama is a Genderless Girl who became quite a hot topic after appearing in the popular TV show "Shin Ii Story," and is also a model.
And here's the differentiation on Genderless and Agender in the second article:

Rainbow Life on Genderless and Agender posted:

・アジェンダー(エイジェンダーとも。Agender)
 ジェンダーがないというジェンダー(性自認)の人のこと。
Agender: A genderless person with no gender or gender identity.
・ジェンダーレス(Genderless)
 ジェンダーという感覚や概念自体がそもそもない人。
Genderless: A person with no sense or concept of gender in the first place.
tl;dr, Nakayama is a girl, she just does not give a poo poo about gender roles and rocks whatever looks she wants.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Saw something really great. Kamen Rider Zeronos made a rallying cry on Twitter for Tokusatsu heroes to post and cheer up the kids and fans of toku amidst the Corona Virus pandemic.

You can follow along with the hashtag here.

https://tinyurl.com/tfne2jo

There's posts from OOO, KickHopper/Go-On Gold, TOQ #2, Kyoryu Black, Kamen Rider Saga, Kamen Rider Dark Kiva, Time Yellow.

Go through if you have some time. It's great!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-T7KCYScQY

Kamen Rider+Ultraman X Pop Team Epic

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I have a feeling the big villain is gonna be like

Jin tries to resleeve Naki into a new body, and ARK goes "nah lol" and uploads itself into the body instead. Then we have like Kamen Rider ARK running around and giving grandiose speeches about how disgusting human civilization is, etc.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I have a feeling the big villain is gonna be like

Jin tries to resleeve Naki into a new body, and ARK goes "nah lol" and uploads itself into the body instead. Then we have like Kamen Rider ARK running around and giving grandiose speeches about how disgusting human civilization is, etc.

It does feel a lot like something more is going to happen with Jin. Horobi doesn't seem to fully trust him. He's a new kind of Humagear complete free from outside influences.

Maybe we'll see humagear Aruto dad show up as a bad guy. It could fit with the whole angle Metsuboujinrai has going. Daybreak town failed because of the human(s), but the humagears got the blame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think they are going to do an extended use of any of the old model humagears because they are very clearly all sharing the same pair of commercial headphones.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I could totally see Aruto's dad, possessed or brainwashed by the Ark, as the final villain. Then Aruto's grandpa shows up in some capacity as a bad dude helping him out too. Both are hilarious Ohmori cliches, so it's very possible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Zero-One just does not work no matter what it tries, and the new arc is not exactly impressing me from day one. Aruto's "I fought humans and HumaGears!" spiel falls flat because he had no issues murdering a crapton of the latter but had to be forced to fight the former several times, and after he did they were never left even slightly wounded unless the Ark was in control of his body. The stakes were never the same for Magia and Raiders, Raiders are never killed and are rarely even hurt.

Jin and Fuwa are still great but everything else in this episode didn't work at all. As per usual.

Also I feel Aruto just becoming Zero-One again nbd is a big wasted opportunity. If the series really wanted to make him prove how serious he was, why not have Jin throw him a ForceRiser? Have 001 appear here. Using that Driver is horrendously painful for him but also has no restrictions, it'd be an excellent way to show just how serious he is and for Jin to test him, before moving on to Metal Cluster Hopper since of course he will. That would've been a great scene and a good way to show a Rider that won't ever reappear otherwise, but no, why bother, just have Izu fix everything before it has consequences, as always. Sigh.

It's a good thing the other weekly toku is as good as it is though! Kiramager keeps dazzling me every episode, with excellent character writing that contrasts the mediocre seasons that came before it. I expected this episode to be "Tametomo's mad that he's not leader so he's a jerk to everyone" but instead we get a much more interesting setup where it's Shovellow that wants him to be leader, while Tametomo does genuinely want the place and proves that he's absolutely worth it, but at the same time has fully accepted Juuru is the best choice for it regardless of his own wishes, and instead shines on as the team's expert tactician. The whole act to make Shovellow accept Juuru was insane and it's the first time in my life "professional esports player" actually sounds like a badass title. The extra Machines were cute too, I like how they're clearly still babies, the series is completely consistent with itself in that they really were not ready to be made into Machines and sent into combat but nonetheless they're a big help.

Kiramager's focus on all the team with specific episodes for each, with Juuru serving as a supporting character every time, reminds me heavily of Zyuohger in a very good way. This is the best way to write a Sentai in my opinion, Red isn't sidelined but he's not the focus at all times either, and the rest of the characters get plenty of time to show why this is not a one-man show. After several series that horrendously failed at it, it's genuinely great to see, and if it keeps this up Kiramager may be the salvation Sentai desperately needed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Kiramager is good. REVOLUTION!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kiramager is good. REVOLUTION!

WORKING CLASS MECHA RISE UP!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Dan Masamune ruled.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Did something happen with Eternal's actor? I've been watching those, and one of the major running gags is Eternal getting arrested.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Dan Masamune was definitely shoehorned in but also having a villain that's a corporate scumbag profiteering off of human life get kicked in the loving face a whole lot was very cathartic so I don't care.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Masamune was fabulous and funny as hell, but he was a far less compelling and believable villain compared to Kuroto and Parad. That was most of the problem with Ex-Aid's endgame, but I still enjoyed the final arc because of the excellent cast (especially Kuroto and Parad!) and Hyper Muteki.

Also really hoping that Gai doesn't redeem himself and work with Aruto and friends against the ultimate bad guy because he is a terrible loving person and deserves nothing except being kicked in the face repeatedly. He has zero decent qualities, unlike the typical early Rider antagonist.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 8, 2020

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Dan Masamune was definitely shoehorned in but also having a villain that's a corporate scumbag profiteering off of human life get kicked in the loving face a whole lot was very cathartic so I don't care.

Agreed. Plus while he was the same rough level of competence as Gai, he lost constantly as a result, and really only stayed in the game as long as he did because he had so many resources to burn one at a time.

Plus his actor was so entertainingly hammy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe we'll see humagear Aruto dad show up as a bad guy. It could fit with the whole angle Metsuboujinrai has going. Daybreak town failed because of the human(s), but the humagears got the blame.

Reiwa: The First Generation spoilers (BTW it's dope and good and actually progresses Aruto a bit)
Unless you mean his biological, presumed dead dad I doubt it. The Humagear dad played both sides in the movie but ultimately fought for Aruto's vision and tested Aruto's resolve. Biological grandpa was more of a dumbass in a " why didn't I think the robots would want the humans to also do things for them in return?" way.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 8, 2020

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Justin_Brett posted:

Dan Masamune ruled.

I wouldn't know, they never explored his character.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LastGoodBoy posted:

I wouldn't know, they never explored his character.

Nah they did. He was fun.

Dan "Bobby Kotick" Masamune was a good piece of poo poo villain and it's fine if he wasn't an incredibly well rounded person, cause he diffidently didn't need to be and the story would only hurt to stop and try and humanize him instead of using him as a means to humanize the previous enemies.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah they did. He was fun.

Dan "Bobby Kotick" Masamune was a good piece of poo poo villain and it's fine if he wasn't an incredibly well rounded person, cause he diffidently didn't need to be and the story would only hurt to stop and try and humanize him instead of using him as a means to humanize the previous enemies.

They really didn't, but Ex-Aid was still a fun series regardless. Kind of on the border of good and alright on more the good side, but definitely well into the fun territory.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The man called M posted:

Did something happen with Eternal's actor? I've been watching those, and one of the major running gags is Eternal getting arrested.

That's just a Poptepipic meme redol really liked
https://youtu.be/EgoglbhO7IE

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Masamune's character wasn't explored so much as it was exploited. He had an extremely good presence in two episodes, episodes 32 and 39. In both, he was a cunning, charismatic, and loving ruthless monster. His debut set up something that the writing nor most of the directors (Sans Kamihoriuchi, the director of those two episodes) could consistently handle, and in episode 39 he just loving tortures Parad and revels in it, even if he wasn't a large part of the episode. But due to that aforementioned inability to handle, they just kept the most basic little details apparent and let the suit work/action take over, leaving him as more a glorified repeated boss-fight, right down to him nearly saying "This isn't even my final form!"
His character does get actually explored in the V-Cinexts and Mighty Novel X and it's honestly nothing worth keeping a fixation on. Masamune blames Kuroto for the death of Kuroto's mother/Masamune's wife, and thus loathes him, and refuses to acknowledge it's truly his fault in the long run for being the one who helped fund Bugster research with Kiyonaga Hojo (Using Kiyonaga's son Emu as the guinea pig) for his own benefits.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/protagkun/status/1247930989390823430?s=20

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I shouldn't have to view spin off media to get what I should have got in the show proper. Dan Masamune was just too generic for my taste, and none of the arguments I've heard so far have convinced me otherwise, and trust me, I do want to be convinced because it's one of Ex-Aid's few smudges in my opinion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LastGoodBoy posted:

I shouldn't have to view spin off media to get what I should have got in the show proper. Dan Masamune was just too generic for my taste, and none of the arguments I've heard so far have convinced me otherwise, and trust me, I do want to be convinced because it's one of Ex-Aid's few smudges in my opinion.

None of that poo poo really matters to the plot nor to any of the characters in the show as written though. Like I said, there was no need nor point to stopping and flesh him out more than they did. He was the apotheosis of the bad aspects of both Dan Kuroto and The bugsters at large, a beast of human sacrifice in the form of pure capitalistic greed, something that often fucks over everything from, say, video games to medical research and treatment. You don't need to go "Also he hates his son for a second more personal reason and it's a bit tragic, anyway here's that tragic man teasing the fallen hero with brief glimpses of the woman he loves alive again."

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Nah it's just he was a bit boring. S' all, some people are gonna like him more, some people aren't. I'm never against a capitalistic greed monster who just wants power for power since those exist in the treal this one in particular just didn't work for me for whatever reason. I think because I would have liked more focus on him as 'horrible ceo using kamen rider stuff to amass money via these life or death games' rather than like, personally being quite so megalomaniacal.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dan Masaume referred to people by their Gashat name and that's all I really needed.

Also that hashtag is full of amazingly cool stuff, I love the Toku cast and fandom.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of that poo poo really matters to the plot nor to any of the characters in the show as written though. Like I said, there was no need nor point to stopping and flesh him out more than they did. He was the apotheosis of the bad aspects of both Dan Kuroto and The bugsters at large, a beast of human sacrifice in the form of pure capitalistic greed, something that often fucks over everything from, say, video games to medical research and treatment. You don't need to go "Also he hates his son for a second more personal reason and it's a bit tragic, anyway here's that tragic man teasing the fallen hero with brief glimpses of the woman he loves alive again."

I disagree. He was a flat character with confusing actions vs motivation and was pretty much just the "Mwahahaha! I'm the bad guy!" character. We don't need a tragic backstory, but I would like a basic "He is X and is doing Y because of Z". They don't do that competently with him. He hates Dan so he wants to kill all humanity? Alright? That makes no sense, gonna elaborate on that, writers? What, we're out of episodes? Okay.

And to clarify, I don't care if others like him and I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone for liking him. I'm not trying to come off as making GBS threads on anyone debating with me, I'm just having fun debating this.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Dan Masaume referred to people by their Gashat name and that's all I really needed.

This is the one thing I really enjoyed about him. That was a clever quirk.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

This is too... cute? Funny? Neat? Heartwarming? Not sure what to call it...

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Junpei posted:

This is too... cute? Funny? Neat? Heartwarming? Not sure what to call it...

I get the gist of it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Holy moly, the Gaim actors threw down the gauntlet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-v2LfrHtvi/

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also really hoping that Gai doesn't redeem himself and work with Aruto and friends against the ultimate bad guy because he is a terrible loving person and deserves nothing except being kicked in the face repeatedly. He has zero decent qualities, unlike the typical early Rider antagonist.

Micchy's redemption over the course of the series/movies was done fairly well but really tugged at my need for him to get his comeuppance.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Closest thing Gai should get to redemption is shared enemy, like Aruto and Jin have right now. Then 1000% gently caress off back to Zaia or its remnants.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's so weird how Is singularity has been handled. You'd think they'd make a big deal out of it. Like have her temporarily switch sides to Metsubojinrai as she tries to find het true self. Instead it's basically, business as usual for her

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

V-Men posted:

Micchy's redemption over the course of the series/movies was done fairly well but really tugged at my need for him to get his comeuppance.
Micchi was not blindfolded and tied to a stake so that each person he had ever wronged could take a turn smashing him in the balls with a baseball bat. He did not get his comeuppance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bad things happened to other people and micchi got sad about it. that's the extent of the consequences he faced.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Micchi did showed some redeeming qualities before he devolved into a supervillain and is acting as the sole hero after Gaim went back to his home planet. It wasn’t a particularly good redemption arc, but the focus was more on Kouta attempting to save his old friend rather than Micchi becoming something decent.

Gai has none of those things. He has no tragic past, no time a a friend to anyone, and not a single redeeming quality. He’s not even charming or impressive as a villain since his opponents just keep falling for the same trick every time. He should be ground into the dust and forgotten the moment the new villain comes up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was only the sole hero because everyone else who still had a belt had already been beaten and their belts destroyed. micchi was similarly ineffectual, he just did so slightly later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Watched a few first episodes of random shows on the new Toei Tokusatsu channel. Some thoughts:

Suki Suki Majou-Sensei: I was really curious about the early live-action magical girl shows because no one really talks about them. This one is in the Sally the Witch mold of a magical alien coming to the human world to solve/cause problems with her powers. It's definitely aimed at boys, though, with kid characters talking about how hot the titular witch teacher is and a brief gratuitous cleavage-gawking scene. The primary conflict of the episode revolves around the teacher refusing to scold a bully, instead coaching the bullied kid to fight back, arranging a fight between the two and using her powers to prevent the principal from finding out what's going on. I'm sure the subversion there was intentional for comedy's sake, but that's still one hell of a message to be sending. Truly wild stuff.

Poitrine: Now this, on the other hand, is charming. Despite "poitrine" being French for "chest", the show hasn't been creeping on its main character (...so far). It's a comedy that revels in the absurdity of its own premise, and the first episode revolves around Poitrine catching a hilariously petty "video game thief" who is just an old man in a creepy mask, sneaking into people's houses to play and steal their video games. The episode got a few genuine laughs out of me, and I'm tempted to check out more of it.

Gavan: Gavan needs no introduction, of course. I had never checked it out despite loving its aesthetic from cultural osmosis, and the first episode did not disappoint. About 90% of it is composed of fight choregraphy and special effects, to the point where fairly important character scenes setting up the series' status quo are relegated to a 30-second voice-over montage at the end. That's so stupid, I love it.

Any more obscure stuff on that channel worth checking out, either as a hidden gem, or out of morbid curiosity?

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 9, 2020