Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah there will still be minis, it's an extra option for people who want to do the standees instead, I suppose for aesthetic consistency. And yeah, all new summons are getting standees too which is a great addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

So no plastic miniatures?

There's apparently like a half dozen people who prefer standee versions of the characters and we try not to judge that sick filth.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

They get to bring all of their gear to each scenario, and decide what they're actually using after setup. Who do you think carries all of that?

A couple of donkeys/skeletons pulling a cart? I don't know, I just don't want employees. It's a big responsibility.

Hey, didn't someone post every character card from levels 1 to 9? All I can find are the level 1 cards posted from PAX, and I've been wanting to see if the drifter could do a full bow build.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Friend and I limped past the finish line on scenario 1 by the slimmest margin possible.

I (scoundrel) exhausted out in the last room, literally using my dying breath to throw a knife to kill the last bandit archer, when I drew the null curse that we had gotten on the road to the dungeon. Friend(mindthief) was in melee and also using his very last cards to try to finish her off, but got a -1 roll and could only put the archer at 1 hp. We almost scooped up the board shamefully before I realized that he could lose his augment to do one final short rest.

Neither of us could abide leaving like 6 coins and the treasure chest behind, so we're going to run the scenario again and get revenge.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

A couple of donkeys/skeletons pulling a cart? I don't know, I just don't want employees. It's a big responsibility.

Hey, didn't someone post every character card from levels 1 to 9? All I can find are the level 1 cards posted from PAX, and I've been wanting to see if the drifter could do a full bow build.

Isaac posted a drive folder of all of the cards for JOTL and Frosthaven released so far:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x9S6AJhDr2ZV_156Fa1AJ36_F3h5yT1S

But I don't think there are level 9 cards there

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 9, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Scoss posted:

Friend and I limped past the finish line on scenario 1 by the slimmest margin possible.

I (scoundrel) exhausted out in the last room, literally using my dying breath to throw a knife to kill the last bandit archer, when I drew the null curse that we had gotten on the road to the dungeon. Friend(mindthief) was in melee and also using his very last cards to try to finish her off, but got a -1 roll and could only put the archer at 1 hp. We almost scooped up the board shamefully before I realized that he could lose his augment to do one final short rest.

Neither of us could abide leaving like 6 coins and the treasure chest behind, so we're going to run the scenario again and get revenge.

That's awesome.

Scenario 1 teaches harsh lessons. You will do better next time you try it. Just remember - if you are a Scoundrel, do not use loss cards until the final room. No, not even that one. Or that one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I like that there will be standees for summons but my group is still probably going to continue to use painted minis from other games.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

That's awesome.

Scenario 1 teaches harsh lessons. You will do better next time you try it. Just remember - if you are a Scoundrel, do not use loss cards until the final room. No, not even that one. Or that one.

This was definitely my big takeaway, along with peeking immediately at the enemy stats to plan around their likely threat ranges. In our first try, I definitely popped smoke bomb in room 2 where I probably could have taken some hits instead, and a big backstabby move to secure my Dynamo overkill goal in a way that was unnecessary. I also had popped the active effect for Single Out and forgot about it for half the dungeon.

I had sort of been thinking of Lost cards as like D&D once per day moves, but it did not fully dawn on me that I was effectively lopping off a major portion of the "candle wick" each time, and the snowballing nature of having to rest more frequently the more cards you lose.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Having the exhaust 12 times personal quest as Sun has been kind of funny, it's a good excuse to bring more cards with loss effects. Sometimes a scenario just goes too smoothly and I need to burn down the deck faster

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Has anyone else tried out the new JotL and Frosthaven classes? I feel like I'm the only one who has posted about them.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Knobb Manwich posted:

Haven't looked at it but someone attempted a deck handler for remote play.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven...tm_source=share

Coming in several weeks late because I didn't bookmark the thread, but thanks for this. It looks new enough that it didn't come up during my earlier pass for digital solutions. It's not perfect but I think it'll work pretty well.

For the person who wanted the google drive info, I will PM you.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Has anyone else tried out the new JotL and Frosthaven classes? I feel like I'm the only one who has posted about them.

I tried out Necromancer on tabletop simulator. The scenario was pretty unfavorable to it, but it still seemed a little weak. The repeatable summons are cool but at level 1 they take a third of your health to summon, and the self-healing options aren't great. You're gonna want healing potions asap, at least at low levels. The fact that you're so frail also makes it incredibly risky to tank for your summons. I'm gonna stick with it once Frosthaven comes out but it seems like it's going to be real tricky.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
One more rules question. We had a cragheart join us for scenario 2.

He placed an obstacle in the doorway to trap the zombies (1), which seemed like a galaxy brain move until we realized the scenario goal was to kill the boss and all revealed enemies, presumably including them. We ultimately had him jump into the room and kill them all at the end, but it occurred to us that if we didn't have jumping moves or enough ranged firepower to kill them through the doorway, it might be a game over scenario if the zombie AI can't path out and we can't really get at them. Did we figure this properly?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Scoss posted:

He placed an obstacle in the doorway to trap the zombies (1), which seemed like a galaxy brain move until we realized the scenario goal was to kill the boss and all revealed enemies, presumably including them. We ultimately had him jump into the room and kill them all at the end, but it occurred to us that if we didn't have jumping moves or enough ranged firepower to kill them through the doorway, it might be a game over scenario if the zombie AI can't path out and we can't really get at them. Did we figure this properly?

yep, enemies without a path to a hex they can attack from will just stand still forever (and yes they count as revealed enemies)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

We’ve tried three of the JotL characters in the new mini-campaign and Frosthaven demo.

Voidwarden seems really great: very support oriented, has healing, blessing, and curses, and can make enemies fight each other though mostly through loss cards. Mild element management involved, especially Dark.

Demolitionist relies on there being obstacles (so Blacksmith and Bear 1 was awful), has multiple decent attacks that can situationally boost. Feels a bit to me like a cross between Scoundrel and Cragheart, in terms of overall style.

Red Guard is a fighting type using lots of fire and light, with most attacks being range 2. Extremely fast init cards, lots of pull. Seems quite effective thus far but is weirdly vulnerable to short rest issues because there’s a lot of element set-up and pay-off combos. Doesn’t get penalty-free heavy armor, and has limited self-heal, so you need a healthy mix of positioning to get along.

Scoss posted:

It is an illegal placement. Pg 14 of the rules: “It is possible for certain characters to create or move obstacles. When doing so, players can never completely cut off one area of the scenario map from another, such that the area cannot be moved into without going through the obstacles.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 10, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

yep, enemies without a path to a hex they can attack from will just stand still forever (and yes they count as revealed enemies)

While that's true, obstacles cannot be placed in a way that would cause hexes to become inaccessible. So that door couldn't be blocked

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

While that's true, obstacles cannot be placed in a way that would cause hexes to become inaccessible. So that door couldn't be blocked

Although IIRC through a weird rules quirk you can put two obstacles down in the adjacent hexes before the door opens, because until then it's a wall.

Bounded Empire
Apr 26, 2010
Official FAQ says:

Per the rules, obstacles cannot be created/placed such that they block off an area of the map. How does this work with doors that may be opened or closed in a future turn?
Obstacles cannot block any current or future section of the map. Players need to evaluate the current state of the board as well as if all doors are open and the placement of the obstacle must be legal in both cases

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Scenario 74 (the one with the sinking ship), Music Note and Scoundrel.

Neat scenario design. Found it much easier than expected but that was possibly due to party makeup and 2P scaling. Scoundrel got water 3 times, I did it once. Deep terrors are one of my favourite enemies because of how they make positioning matter. Did have to check whether traps could be placed on doors when one of the Archers decided to do something really stupid.

Got Spacewoman's Scoundrel's solo scenario next, then maybe the finale of the Voice, then we're done on scenarios in campaign mode (unless we get a good event very soon).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

QuarkJets posted:

oh huh, didn't know this one

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The zombies could have moved to that tile anyway

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Eraflure posted:

The zombies could have moved to that tile anyway

that's a wall

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, adding that to the pile of things we did wrong in our campaign :v:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Today's Frosthaven update has an event design competition, with a free copy of Frosthaven as a prize if your event ends up being used: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2405724/frosthaven-event-design-competition-has-begun

I'm making my own little event chain, but coming up with flavor text is difficult.

Semi-related: class-specific bonuses in events are being removed, instead each character has a few traits that will basically function the same way but be a little bit more generic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Debating shaving my beard into one of those silly cavalier style mustache and soul-patch things just to play Music Note tomorrow.

Dumb idea, hilarious or yes?

(The quarantine might be getting to me.)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kalli posted:

There's apparently like a half dozen people who prefer standee versions of the characters and we try not to judge that sick filth.

I feel personally aggrieved! I asked Isaac about character standees during Gaming Rules' livestream preview a few days before the Kickstarter and he said it wouldn't happen, but now it has. I like to think I tipped him over the edge.

My copy of Gloomhaven is the standee version from the original KS so I'm glad I now will have standees for the new characters and I don't have to bring in ugly plastic miniatures I will never paint.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Uggg. We are bouncing extremely hard off Forgotten Circles first scenario (96) and it's not at all fun, in fact it's extremely frustrating. Mind you we are trying this 2p at level 1 with the Three Spears and Diviner. Is this poo poo even winnable? Are we doing something wrong? Please help end our suffering.

The Diviner is just too drat slow. Hooray, a movement juggling scenario across an expansive map with these drat portals acting as speed bumps. This is surely a great first taste for a new character who loving sucks balls at moving. And the first room has 4 demons in it with flying shield retaliate gimmicks which are hard to effectively kill at level 1. The Diviner surely can't kill them and I don't know how to support Three Spears to effectively kill them as well. Oh and you better hurry because we're going to start spawning a new demon every turn in very short order. I also managed to get effectively trapped in one of the dimensions because demons were blocking the portal, I have no jump movement options, and teleport doesn't work across the portals. Just balls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can't dig up the post but I'm pretty sure Marcel recommended starting FC at level 5 or 7 or something.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I can't dig up the post but I'm pretty sure Marcel recommended starting FC at level 5 or 7 or something.

Forgotten Circles is pretty clearly designed with the intention that you're playing your winning characters from the regular campaign, so Level 7+ with lots of items and possibly enhancements, too. And at least some of the scenarios seem designed to provide challenge for the kinds of folks who post online about their super min-maxed party and how they have to play Level + 3 to get a challenge.

My regular group of three had to replay perhaps five scenarios total in Gloomhaven due to loss. We had to replay about 50% of the FC scenarios, and we played the finale once, lost, did a little math, and said "screw this" and quit.

I'd suggest the following:
1. Play at L5 to start with.
2. Give yourself more gold for starting items than L5 dictates (maybe L7, depends on how many expensive items you have unlocked). Any experienced group going on from Gloomhaven is going to have every item slot filled, so FC is balanced for that.
3. With only 2 players, the Diviner has to concentrate on Rift cards at level-up.
4. Definitely play at -1 level at least until you both have the hang of your characters. If you're more on the casual play end of things and don't love replaying scenarios, stick at -1 for the whole expansion. It'll make a few scenarios a little too easy, but the balance is all over the place in FC anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Found some of the posts

(On what level to start FC)

Marcel posted:

Level 3 is a good starting point if you play on normal, 4 or 5 for hard and 6 for very hard
(We reset Gloomhaven but now want to start FC)

Marcel posted:

A good baseline is probably prosperity 5, 2 legacy perks for each player [etc]

Marcel posted:

I recommended either a minimum level of 4 for the characters or a lower difficulty modulation (such as normal or easy) if you are playing a low level party

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cocks Cable posted:

Uggg. We are bouncing extremely hard off Forgotten Circles first scenario (96) and it's not at all fun, in fact it's extremely frustrating. Mind you we are trying this 2p at level 1 with the Three Spears and Diviner. Is this poo poo even winnable? Are we doing something wrong? Please help end our suffering.

The Diviner is just too drat slow. Hooray, a movement juggling scenario across an expansive map with these drat portals acting as speed bumps. This is surely a great first taste for a new character who loving sucks balls at moving. And the first room has 4 demons in it with flying shield retaliate gimmicks which are hard to effectively kill at level 1. The Diviner surely can't kill them and I don't know how to support Three Spears to effectively kill them as well. Oh and you better hurry because we're going to start spawning a new demon every turn in very short order. I also managed to get effectively trapped in one of the dimensions because demons were blocking the portal, I have no jump movement options, and teleport doesn't work across the portals. Just balls.

This will be almost impossible at level 1. It's hard even at level 5 if you don't IMMEDIATELY understand the goal, which is to have the Diviner close at least two, preferably three, of the portals and IMMEDIATELY work towards it to the exclusion of essentially everything else.

It's also super wonkily written in regards to the portals and what counts as adjacent to them and how.

And, warning for the long term: an awful lot of FC is about the Diviner and her specific capabilities, so you frequently either simply cannot progress a scenario without her and only her doing something very specific, or you will need one of her special abilities or someone else who can do something very similar, to get through. Overall the design of FC is not...great... and I'm not sure my group will actually finish it out if Frosthaven gets here before we can meet in person again.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I won't say that no-one likes the FC campaign but I will say that when I see someone who does, it's noteworthy.

Someone other than Marcel, I mean.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

FC definitely feels like someone let Marcel run hog wild to the detriment of the expansion as a whole. His scenarios are already the ones I like the least in the main campaign, because they usually both a) hinge on a single mechanic and b) require you to set up for that mechanic in such a way that you can't just jump into them with whatever party you happen to have, which means that they're specifically puzzles rather than a strategy game. (My first group had to delay someone's retirement because another party member wasn't specced for the scenario where you each have to reach the end of a path solo - they were an engineer without much jump.)

FC then compounds that by making everything ten times more fiddly. The player running the diviner had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to even work her, and the idea of jumping back and forth in the scenario book to prevent spoilers is kinda interesting - I played the gold box D+D games, too - but in practice we found it really slowed things down at the table having to go fuss over finding the right page rather than have everything in one spot.

This poo poo's been said before in this thread, I'm sure, but I'm thinking about it all over again because my quarantine group just did Temple of the Eclipse and the spellweaver had the shittiest time imaginable, then the boss spent six turns in a row invisible after the nightshroud exhausted out.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Frosthaven is doing the whole "split scenarios into multiple book sections" thing too; I'm not sure whether they've confirmed whether they'll be scattered throughout the book again or if they'll just all be in one place this time, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Frosthaven is doing the whole "split scenarios into multiple book sections" thing too; I'm not sure whether they've confirmed whether they'll be scattered throughout the book again or if they'll just all be in one place this time, though.

I think Isaac said the setup stuff will all be together and the hidden stuff will be on the next pages, which is a huge improvement.

Scenario Viewer is fantastic for FC since it collates all the info into one place.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think Isaac said the setup stuff will all be together and the hidden stuff will be on the next pages, which is a huge improvement.

To be fair, FC's book does have the 'setup' diagrams which help a little on that front. I guess I should just grab the TTS preview and take a look.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
There's a standalone scenario book sample for Frosthaven that's set up the way Doctor Spaceman describes; sounds like they are planning to keep that structure for the full thing, which is good.

Naturally this has spoilers for FH's first scenario and presumably a couple of later ones.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Elephant Ambush posted:

We've played a few games on TTS with the frosthaven demo package.

Banner Spear: I'm playing this one. I'm enjoying it, feels like high damage for level 1 but it absolutely slows down the game in the planning stage since I need to know the exact spaces my allies plan to move to. The heal on At All Costs can be bonkers, just played the frosthaven intro scenario with 4 friendly guards and being able to heal them all up from the far side of the map made it trivial. Question about that though, the 'suffer 1 damage for each ally whose hit points increases from this' - is that 4 individual points of damage or a 4-point hit for the purposes of throwing cards to avoid damage?

Getting a permanent shield, an attack 5, lots of fast cards, and lots of move 4s at level 1 made it feel pretty broken. The cards that move allies around are your best friends.

Drifter: looked really good, the player enjoyed it too. Very effective at murdering whatever was required, didn't seem to provide anything apart from that from my end.
Necromancer: the player of this is really hating it and going to swap it out. He's ending up behind on zombies too fast.
Deathwalker: didn't get much feedback on this one, the community campaign mission 1 is a really odd mission to test it.
Hatchet: the player really enjoyed this one over the deathwalker.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We played the hell out some Gloomhaven today, a solid 9 hours. Jesus.

We also found an absolutely sick interaction between Sun and Cthulhuface : I was doing a strategy that gave out curses like they were party favors, with that permanent effect that damages monsters when they draw curses. The Sun was being, you know, the Sun and wanted people to hit her. After like three rounds we noticed the obvious synergy here and just started going to town. Sun already makes enemies just melt, and now not only do they hit less often, they frequently hurt themselves even more.

It didn't seem game-breaking or anything but it's loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's truly busted when you have Sun, Cthulhu Face and Music Note. Disadvantage song, curses from mUsic Note and Plague Herald and Sunkeeper with high shield and retaliate. We had that and Lightning Bolts for awhile and it made a joke of nearly everything.