Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Isn't Stephen King pretty much solely to blame for at "magic negro" trope becoming a trope?

IIRC, Green Mile was one of the two big trope-namers there (the other was The Legend of Bagger Vance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StonecutterJoe posted:

IIRC, Green Mile was one of the two big trope-namers there (the other was The Legend of Bagger Vance.)

Plus Mother Abagail in The Stand.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I got an update from Amazon today that Baru 3 release is now in August. Was this a case of the initial pre-order date being wildly off and is now being corrected or did something else happen with the publication process? (e.g. final editing got slowed down because of COVID-19 etc.) Anyway hope things are doing well for General Butts.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

anyone have a book rec about a faster than light drive being built ?

I’m trying to find a book I read a while ago.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Selachian posted:

Plus Mother Abagail in The Stand.

detta walker cruisin into the thread like WHATUP HONKEY MAFAS

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

detta walker cruisin into the thread like WHATUP HONKEY MAFAS

To be fair, that whole persona is explicitly constructed by Odetta’s subconscious from stereotypes; Eddie straight up says that no one actually talks the way “Detta” does.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, that whole persona is explicitly constructed by Odetta’s subconscious from stereotypes; Eddie straight up says that no one actually talks the way “Detta” does.

Odetta was a perfectly reasonable woman, although she came off as much older than she developed to. This may have been a similar facade persona to her Detta one, with "ultra-respectable civil rights activist" replacing the "hood rat stereotype" feed. What little we see of them before she got pushed is more normal still.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xtanstic posted:

I got an update from Amazon today that Baru 3 release is now in August. Was this a case of the initial pre-order date being wildly off and is now being corrected or did something else happen with the publication process? (e.g. final editing got slowed down because of COVID-19 etc.) Anyway hope things are doing well for General Butts.

Neither, the manuscript is final. They're just delaying the book because they think the pandemic is going to make the launch suck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PawParole posted:

There’s one called The Founder half the book is about building a ship to escape the solar system as it collapses

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's a short story that was expanded into a novella about an engineer/scientist figuring out an Alcubierre drive. It involved a side character with savant syndrome. That's all I remember. Dijkstra is associated with it in my head but Google isn't helping
Edit: It was a good and fun read but this is a lovely recommendation since I can't think of the title.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PawParole posted:

Not quite recommendations, though I can recall 3 different books about building a ftl drive off the top of my head plus a few pulp fiction Randall Garrett/Mack Reynolds short stories which I can't remember the names of.

pulp fiction era: Skylark of Space/EE Smith
Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers/harry harrison (A parody of the Skylark series/EE Smith's plots....story has dated references in it but is still hilarious)
cosmonaut keep/ken macleod (very tankie with 2 dueling narrations, infinitely fresher than MacLeod's Corporation War series)

On a totally different note, social isolating cabin fever has confirmation biased me into a "everyone with a goatee is a douchebag, especially authors, most especially SciFi/Fantasy authors" viewpoint. And I say this as a person whose two favorite authors (Harrison H + Harrison MJ) rocked goatees for 97% of their career

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Neither, the manuscript is final. They're just delaying the book because they think the pandemic is going to make the launch suck.

That's dumb, people are stuck at home with nothing to do.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

buffalo all day posted:

I'm a pretty fast reader but Memory called empire was a total slog for me. The main character does basically nothing for the entire book. I think someone else in the thread pointed out - she's completely passive. I loved the plot hook - diplomat investigating her predecessor's death under mysterious circumstances - but it all just ends up being so drat boring.

You're not wrong. It's certainly nothing I'd push to get an award.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think King's racism is a pretty standard subconscious Maine attitude - having zero contact with black people even in the most fleeting sense during his formative years meant he only knew them from film and TV and came to think of them as a funny old folk with their own weird talk and customs, but who aren't "real" Americans in the sense that he probably thinks of them.

While I'm playing armchair psychologist though, I also noticed that in the section introducing Randall Flagg he's wearing all kinds of flag pins, reading all sorts of radical literature from the far right to the far left, is said to make his way around college campuses etc. Which is obviously a product of the 1970s body politic, but also made me think that good old all-American working class high school graduate Stephen King had a deep suspicion of any questioning of the American status quo and maybe a vague inferiority complex about all those drat college kids and their radical ideas. Then I looked it up and he does actually have a BA from the University of Maine, so what do I know?

It's occurred to me I've read like 20 of his books without knowing much about the author or his life path, and it's interesting to try to glean it from his writing, particularly the way The Stand leaves his typical confines of Maine and rambles all over the USA. Obviously he knows much of New England back to front, though he seems far more familiar with New York City than Boston. He also seems to have spent a bit of time in California as well. A lot of the other scenes are written with a bit less confidence; less of a distinct sense of place.

I have a firmly-held opinion that, while nobody would ever call him America's greatest writer, he is America's most American writer; his prose is littered with pop culture and snatches of song lyrics and and even references to commercial jingles in a way that just seems fundamentally mid-to-late century American; utterly unique to its time and place. Apart from his fantasy or science fiction stuff, I think he's written a grand total of two scenes, in all his millions of words, that took place outside America: a short story set in London and a brief part of Salem's Lot in Mexico.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

freebooter posted:

I think King's racism is a pretty standard subconscious Maine attitude - having zero contact with black people even in the most fleeting sense during his formative years meant he only knew them from film and TV and came to think of them as a funny old folk with their own weird talk and customs, but who aren't "real" Americans in the sense that he probably thinks of them.

While I'm playing armchair psychologist though, I also noticed that in the section introducing Randall Flagg he's wearing all kinds of flag pins, reading all sorts of radical literature from the far right to the far left, is said to make his way around college campuses etc. Which is obviously a product of the 1970s body politic, but also made me think that good old all-American working class high school graduate Stephen King had a deep suspicion of any questioning of the American status quo and maybe a vague inferiority complex about all those drat college kids and their radical ideas. Then I looked it up and he does actually have a BA from the University of Maine, so what do I know?

It's occurred to me I've read like 20 of his books without knowing much about the author or his life path, and it's interesting to try to glean it from his writing, particularly the way The Stand leaves his typical confines of Maine and rambles all over the USA. Obviously he knows much of New England back to front, though he seems far more familiar with New York City than Boston. He also seems to have spent a bit of time in California as well. A lot of the other scenes are written with a bit less confidence; less of a distinct sense of place.

I have a firmly-held opinion that, while nobody would ever call him America's greatest writer, he is America's most American writer; his prose is littered with pop culture and snatches of song lyrics and and even references to commercial jingles in a way that just seems fundamentally mid-to-late century American; utterly unique to its time and place. Apart from his fantasy or science fiction stuff, I think he's written a grand total of two scenes, in all his millions of words, that took place outside America: a short story set in London and a brief part of Salem's Lot in Mexico.

I believe he lived in Colorado while writing The Shining and The Stand, which might be why all of the former and a good deal of the latter take place there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I really liked the one with the shitweasel that they kind of ruined for a movie.

Edit- Dreamcatcher. There was stuff that was kinda clunky and weird in it but it was mostly cool.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PawParole posted:

If you can remember any other details you might have better luck in the book identification thread

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Surreptitious Muffin, I hope you didn't pay anything for this "advice"...

The "prestigious" sf awards are mostly voted for; the lesser known ones tend to be juried and have more exciting lists. It's that simple.

Well, I suppose it's good to know that these things are just totally compromised marketing vehicles that should be ignored.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I thought you would have ignored them anyway!

Poldarn posted:

You may have noticed that there's a massive worldwide health crisis happening...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A human heart posted:

Well, I suppose it's good to know that these things are just totally compromised marketing vehicles that should be ignored.

Popular vote awarded to things that are popular. Stop the presses, clearly speculative fiction is unredeemable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Popular vote awarded to things that are popular. Stop the presses, clearly speculative fiction is unredeemable.

It just seems like making the most prominent award for a particular type of book akin to one of those online polls where harry potter wins best novel ever because it's very famous might not be conducive to literary quality. Why not simply report the sci fi book that sold the most and skip the award ceremony? That would be more or less the same thing as far as I can tell.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Poldarn posted:

And lots of those people are really short on spare money right now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A human heart posted:

It just seems like making the most prominent award for a particular type of book akin to one of those online polls where harry potter wins best novel ever because it's very famous might not be conducive to literary quality. Why not simply report the sci fi book that sold the most and skip the award ceremony? That would be more or less the same thing as far as I can tell.

I think you're looking for the Nebulas, where the professional org known as the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Of America nominates and votes on what they believe to be the best SF/F works published that year.

As opposed to something like the Hugos, where a self-identified (via purchasing WorldCon membership) collective of SF/F fans, writers, and industry folks tell you what they think is good, plus or minus a few years where bad actors attempted to run a slate and stuff the ballot box because they were offended that women, minorities, and LGBTQ people exist and write stories with characters they can relate to.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 10, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

A human heart posted:

The Hugos suck, but they do suck differently than a bestseller list (for example, fantasy novels don’t get Hugos much, whereas they consistently outsell SF). The Hugos are more of a popularity contest than a sales race, especially in the categories with small voting pools.

The Nebulas are a popularity contest too but for a different scene.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Khizan posted:

And lots of those people are really short on spare money right now.

Yeah, a lot of stuff is getting cancelled and delayed right now and I figure the powers that be are calculating that a massive amount of layoffs and pending recession is a bigger factor than people having way more spare time.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

The Pale Dreamer (Bone Season novella) by Samantha Shannon - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JADTUYE

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

A human heart posted:

popularity with the hugo voters isn't the same as overall sales though :confused: if you made a list of "best selling" SF novels of the last 25 years probably the only one that won a hugo was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. None of the other HP books won. Ready Player One wasn't nominated (not that it's any good, but it's gotta be the sci fi book that sold the most).

it basically judges popularity of a book among people who take SF seriously, which is at least interesting to know

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

buffalo all day posted:

it basically judges popularity of a book among people who take SF seriously, which is at least interesting to know

That's the theory, but the practical was shown to be something different by the Puppies fiasco. In practice, it's decided by however many people decide to lay out the cash (what is it, $25 I think?) for the membership. There's no way to test for "people who take SF seriously". Pay your money, get your vote, and if you can get together enough people to pay and vote the way you want, you can buy one or more awards.

Paying the membership fee doesn't make your anymore serious about SF than paying for an account here on SA makes you serious about posting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

buffalo all day posted:

popularity with the hugo voters isn't the same as overall sales though :confused: if you made a list of "best selling" SF novels of the last 25 years probably the only one that won a hugo was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. None of the other HP books won. Ready Player One wasn't nominated (not that it's any good, but it's gotta be the sci fi book that sold the most).

Huh, is there not a YA Hugo? I feel like basically all the HP books were the best YA SF/F of their year. Say what you want, those books were compelling to young me.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

jng2058 posted:

That's the theory, but the practical was shown to be something different by the Puppies fiasco. In practice, it's decided by however many people decide to lay out the cash (what is it, $25 I think?) for the membership. There's no way to test for "people who take SF seriously". Pay your money, get your vote, and if you can get together enough people to pay and vote the way you want, you can buy one or more awards.

Paying the membership fee doesn't make your anymore serious about SF than paying for an account here on SA makes you serious about posting.

That just shows that smaller organizations are especially vulnerable to group strategic voting. It's still true that people who pay the money to join are generally more interested in scifi/fantasy than your average person.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Honestly at this point Hugo/Nebula/other rewards have about as much weight as random "top 10 book" lists on tor or wherever. Which is to say they're useful for looking through to see if there's anything I missed, but if something dumb wins who cares.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the membership form:

[ ] Check here to indicate that you take S.F. seriously.

Bing bong so simple.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Huh, is there not a YA Hugo? I feel like basically all the HP books were the best YA SF/F of their year. Say what you want, those books were compelling to young me.

There was a lot of fighting in the WSFS back in the early 2010s over adding a YA category to the Hugos, driven by the success of Potter and The Hunger Games, among others. It was finally settled by creating a separate award, the Lodestar, which is only open to YA books. The Lodestar has only been awarded since 2018, though.

(If you're curious, this year's nominees for the Lodestar:

Naomi Kritzer, Catfishing on CatNet
Frances Hardinge, Deeplight
Yoon Ha Lee, Dragon Pearl
T. Kingfisher, Minor Mage
Fran Wilde, Riverland
Holly Black, The Cruel King)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

withak posted:

In the membership form:

[ ] Check here to indicate that you take S.F. seriously.

Bing bong so simple.

if you pay $25 to cast a vote for something, you probably give a poo poo about it. is that always true, no. and giving a poo poo about SF doesn't mean you have good taste, obviously. it's just a data point.

jo walton's "among others" is like the dictionary definition of a book with unique appeal to hugo voters.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Selachian posted:

holy poo poo

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Selachian posted:

just thinking about a dog typing in a dark room quietly woofing to himself as the letters CATNET glow on the screen

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's a sequel to Cat Pictures Please. Both are fun reads.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Catfishing on Catnet is definitely a YA book and it's also a wonderful one. Dragon Pearl was good too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

if you pay $25 to cast a vote for something, you probably give a poo poo about it.
Yeah, the trouble is that what you give a poo poo about doesn't necessarily have to be what the others who paid for it give a poo poo about.
Puppies gave a poo poo about pushing their lovely views, for example.

e: Post brought to you by the word "poo poo".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
say one thing for the puppies, at least they proved pretty conclusively that there wasn't a pre-existing secret cabal fixing the hugo nominations