Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

Funi's app is garbage. A friend and I fought against it trying to watch Nichijou subbed without it being black border subs and gave up and just watched the dub

I tried using Funi's browser player the other day and literally couldn't figure out how to turn subtitles on, after it took me ten minutes to figure out how to make it play in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/sao_anime/status/1248521099379343367?s=20

SAO has been delayed till July

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KyoAni's also suspending all activities for the next month, including the Violet Evergarden movie being delayed. They'd also hired and started training some new people but that's obviously going on the backburner too.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'd like to thank whatever eccentric billionaire or mafia money-laundering scheme decided to comission a new series of Jashin-chan Dropkick and then release it all at once.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think it was crowdfunded!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Hard to say. Jashin-chan is primarily an Amazon show and in the past year and a half has had a variety of connections through advertisements with Prime, sports teams, merch collabs, towns, etc.

In ~December '18 the show asked via Twitter for 2000 disc sales from fans and that would guarantee a second season. This kind of proposal is essentially unheard of though many suspected it had to do with Amazon being zealous and pumping in money where we aren't seeing it.

What you may have heard as crowdfunding is that the unreleased episode of Jashin-chan S2 is a cross-promotion for the Hokkaido city of Chitose where the main character's voice actor was born (said episode also features a new character who is voiced by another girl from Chitose). And basically, there's a system in Japan where you can donate to a rural city or project and receive tax cuts in return. It's effectively like choosing that some of your taxes go there. So the anime asked last December for 20 million yen from this tax program and what they raised was 180 million. lol

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

sakura wars 1 on sega saturn is a game that's framed like a stage play where you defeat a racism wizard with a spirit bomb and it's played entirely straight

That's only the first half of the game, it's the second half that goes places, the last boss is literally Satan though this has been retconned because really where can you go from there?

The Shin Sakura translation looks to be terrible from the trailers I've seen if nothing else because they've managed to come up with this lovely "Imperial Combat Revue" term when the Troop / Troupe pun is right there in English.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Combat Revue has been the translation for a good while. It's based on the Takarazuka Kagekidan, or the Takarazuka Revue. There's no pun intended.

You also don't refer to a group of soldiers as "Troop" in the singular.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 10, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In good news the Kimetsu film has been delayed to October 10th, rather than indefinitely.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Waffleman_ posted:

F Troop says hello, also most paramilitary kids' groups like Boy Scouts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Fugou Keiji Balance - UNLIMITED seems like it might take a little inspiration from the old Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar radio serial with the expenses incurred as a framing device.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh my god if that's the case it's shooting straight to the top of my pile.

What service is it on???

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
More anime. MORE ANIME

Kakushigoto episode 2 - I liked episode 1, but this series is already wearing itself out. They just keep hitting the same couple of jokes. I wanted this one to be good. It's got Rie Takahashi (Megumin) doing the voice of the daughter, and you know she can do comedy, but they just aren't giving her much of anything to work with.

Tower of God episode 2 - I wasn't sure about this after episode 1. The artstyle has this weird busted look where it's like they forgot to smooth out their lines on all the closeups. Also the protagonist was just Mary-Suing his way past every obstacle. Actually he's still doing that, but there's so much other stuff going on that I don't care. Great mix of action and comedy here, fabulous animation, and a huge cast of weirdos. I like sleepy guy the best.

Balance Unlimited - If I heard someone describe episode 1, beat by beat, I'd think it was the best thing ever. Somehow I just didn't like any of it though. The deadpan humor isn't working for me.

Listeners episode 2 - I really can't stand these new villains. Just like the mayor in episode 1, you're going to hear them ramble on about their personal philosophy for quite some time. You, the audience, are meant to sit there and find it all disagreeable. This show might be bad.

Wave, Listen to me episode 2 - Still going strong. Lots of great visual gags. I like the subtle changes in the backgrounds as the narrative switches between reality and imagination. Place your bets, this is a good one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not completely sure the sisters in Listeners are villains. We saw in the last moments that they were employing illusions, and they'd treated Echo nicely when he passed out. They might just be a trio of overdramatic dorks who are trying to teach our duo an important lesson about their chosen career, and are failing miserably because they're overdramatic dorks who can't give a straight answer to save their lives.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

Wave, Listen to me episode 2 - Still going strong. Lots of great visual gags. I like the subtle changes in the backgrounds as the narrative switches between reality and imagination. Place your bets, this is a good one.

You know this is a show for adults, because the first thing the protagonist does after being offered a job as a radio host is googling "Radio host salary". :allears:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 11, 2020

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Maxwell Adams posted:

Tower of God episode 2 - I wasn't sure about this after episode 1. The artstyle has this weird busted look where it's like they forgot to smooth out their lines on all the closeups. Also the protagonist was just Mary-Suing his way past every obstacle. Actually he's still doing that, but there's so much other stuff going on that I don't care. Great mix of action and comedy here, fabulous animation, and a huge cast of weirdos. I like sleepy guy the best.
Rak is a mix of Caiman and Inosuke, so as long as he's in the show I'm in.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Second episode of Wave was also good, but the weird dark eye circles are distracting.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Thread for Bakatarina:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919866

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I finally got around to watching the last couple episodes of Babylon and holy poo poo, I can't even remember the last time I've seen the main character of a show lose that loving hard. I mean he probably prevented the suicide law from being accepted but goddamn he gets destroyed, Magase Ai just gets away with everything and then presumably kills his wife and steals his kid? Just to alpha-dog his corpse or something? Goddamn thats evil!

I mean It was schlocky as balls but that kind of raw madness made it all worthwhile.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Getting extreme Eureka 7 vibes from "Listeners"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Getting extreme Eureka 7 vibes from "Listeners"

same writer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doesn't help that Justin Briner doing Echo's dub voice sounds a lot like Johnny Young Bosch doing Renton Thurston's.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

:siren:Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta...
Silver Link. | Keisuke Inoue | Megumi Shimizu | Comedy, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, School | Light Novel | Apr 5, 2020
Wealthy heiress Katarina Claes is hit in the head with a rock and recovers the memories of her past life. It turns out the world she lives in is the world of the game Fortune Lover, an otome game she was obsessed with in her past life... but she's been cast as the villain character who tries to foil the protagonist's romances! The best ending the game has for Katarina is exile, and the worst, death! She'll have to find a way to avoid triggering the flags of doom, and make her own happy future!
PV
Thread

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

This is Goof Troop erasure

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're goofs for a reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CXgTJp8EeM

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Gal and Dino live action segment this week was some wild stuff.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Summary of my thoughts on the return of Kaguya-Sama
https://twitter.com/SpiritusNox15/status/1249065473305649157

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/dearcrowns/status/1249116361353199617?s=20

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dzhay posted:

I'd like to thank whatever eccentric billionaire or mafia money-laundering scheme decided to comission a new series of Jashin-chan Dropkick and then release it all at once.
I watched four episodes of the first season today, but I don't feel like I really get the show. It the premise mainly to present a character so unlikable that you don't feel bad when she is murdered every episode?

I also watched the first episode of Appare-Ranman today. Seems promising. I can't help but think that the main character looks like some sort of weird clown with herpes sores though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Filthy Monkey posted:

I watched four episodes of the first season today, but I don't feel like I really get the show. It the premise mainly to present a character so unlikable that you don't feel bad when she is murdered every episode?

I remember a lot of people were comparing it to Dokuro-chan when the first season aired, which if you're familiar with that....yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KMMv7lBn0

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Second ep of Tamayomi wasn't much of an improvement over the first, but it was enough for me to stick around to see what an actual game will be like because I've been watching a lot of Jomboy and SBNation over the past year. The CG when they were practicing catching looked rough though.

The preview art made me hope for something like Hanebado, which this definitely isn't. I've been chasing that high for the past couple of seasons but it seems like that show was more of an outlier. I'm also not a fan of the "creepy lesbian that doesn't understand boundaries" archetype that seems to be in every hobby show I've watched in the past year.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 12, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Julias posted:

I remember a lot of people were comparing it to Dokuro-chan when the first season aired, which if you're familiar with that....yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KMMv7lBn0

Is there even a possibility that a better OP could be produced?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't help that Justin Briner doing Echo's dub voice sounds a lot like Johnny Young Bosch doing Renton Thurston's.

Wait holy drat I just realized that he's a Sonic Youth reference.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

almost all the people and places are references!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

2reachmu posted:

Is there even a possibility that a better OP could be produced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCmvKDZnVoc

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Shame abut Tenjho Tenge's everything else

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Kaguya-Sama's second season is still.... cute :smuggo:

Balance: Unlimited's alright. I did like that each episode will apparently end with a running total of the amount of money spent over the course of it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, Gleipnir adaptation has my respect for taking what was already incredibly clear symbolism and running with it past "obvious" and "ridiculous" into the realm of pure comedy. It also leans very heavily into the feel of being basically Evangelion with fursuit. And the production values continues to be stellar. So far it improved on every aspect of the manga and to be honest, I'm kinda digging it.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The fight animation in Gleipnir 2 was really good. As was the big reveal.