Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
can someone tell me how to make some face protection out of the stuff i have? ive got some rubber bands, a stapler, an n95 mask, tea bags, cotton balls, some ankle socks, and glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dixville posted:

Actually i just remembered I'm pretty sure I got tested for the flu once when I was in college and I don't remember it being *that* bad. Definitely not as bad as a pap smear. I've had my nose pierced though so maybe I just have a higher tolerance for discomfort than some.

What kind of nose piercing? A septum piercing really isn't anymore painful than an earlobe piercing. Come to think of it, nipples (male) wasn't really painful either. I've never had cartlage pierced though.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
I hand-sewed two fabric masks today and it was surprisingly easy, except the pleating which just made me feel like an idiot child until I got the hang of it. They’re really just to throw on when I go to my oncologist appointments and better than nothing.

Apparently there is talk of reopening schools here in Florida, because Florida.

Sirotan posted:

I dunno if you're reading this thread 50s girl groupon, and saying this is probably cliche and dumb, but I am sending good thoughts your way. :unsmith:

:unsmith: thank you

I have this thread and a couple others bookmarked to keep up with goons who are sick either with covid or just super sick during a pandemic because I’m fond of these dead forums and you horrible goons and I want to see everyone feel better/recover and whatever

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

gary oldmans diary posted:

can someone tell me how to make some face protection out of the stuff i have? ive got some rubber bands, a stapler, an n95 mask, tea bags, cotton balls, some ankle socks, and glue

Sniff the glue, obviously.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gary oldmans diary posted:

Stuff the cotton balls up your nose, then staple your lips shut.

Or do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YLXEhSjVsw

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

Don't use ginger ale, use ginger beer. It's legit better

They both have their place.

I've been thinking that maybe Walmart or Target ought to switch to a pickup only model. They're already limiting the number of people inside and mandating one-way traffic, why not remove the chaotic element completely?

The only drawback is that it fucks over people without internet or credit cards. Maybe have a station with a register and tablet?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Telemaze posted:

Sniff the glue, obviously.
its working!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Seeing reports from the west coast of Canada that ferries between Vancouver Island and the mainland were filled to capacity. Good job, guys.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Facebook Aunt posted:

I know mask chat is old and busted, but this is the best DIY mask I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3T98GXjwPM

I'm no wire wizard, but it seems like keeping the cord under tension and tied in knots might not be good for it? Maybe it's for people who got a new phone with no headphone jack, so they have a bunch of useless old headphones just lying around? I dunno. No nose wire to seal around the nose either.

I’ll see you and raise you

https://twitter.com/MilesKlee/status/1248790685689319424

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Somewhat alarming account of Covid from someone with a mild case week one that took a worse turn week two https://twitter.com/skeleton_hugs/status/1248866631683473414?s=21 are there other diseases that vary in severity over their course like this? I can’t think of any.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

goethe.cx posted:

still, i bet if people are staying indoors that'll reduce mosquito-borne illnesses too

Yeah, someone was careless and left a window or door open at my home during the night. It only takes one stupid mosquito to get something like that.

I ended up going to ER in a private clinic. You could notice all the doctors and nurses were dead nervous about if the next patient will have covid-19. I ended up in an isolated room until I got my checked, they were actually relieved once they realized my illness.

It's also the second time i get this poo poo. Talk about bad luck. :smith:

*it's 4 am and i just woke up for taking my meds. Grammar might be poo poo, sorry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Look, things seem bad but it could be a lot worse. At least Krakatoa isn't erupting or anything :v:

UPDATE: we regret to inform you that Krakatoa is currently erupting
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/infamous-volcano-krakatoa-erupts-near-indonesia

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Pick posted:

Wait, so now only 60k people in the usa are thought to be going to die? That seems low to me.

wishful thinking/loudly declaring The Worst Is Over!!! which is going to backfire

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

look, this is gonna be it, doomsday 4/20

everyone goes off blaming each other and then the nukes start flying, but at least we'll all die high

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Galaxy Brain mask usage from a picture on a local news site...

I saw two N95 masks at the store today. One was being worn by an EXTREMELY fat man and he had it kind of perched on/under his chin at kind of a 45 angle outward so it was like he had a scoop under his mouth.

The other was on a slightly less fat but still very fat dude and it was just like over his nose, partly over his eyes and the bottom over his mouth as he was gasping for air from under it.

At that point I'm pretty sure the masks are doing more harm than possible good.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e nvm

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

First off how?

Second off stop saying that.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

First off how?

Second off stop saying that.

I think he was talking about the two fatties, otherwise it would be a very stupid thing to say.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

I think he was talking about the two fatties, otherwise it would be a very stupid thing to say.

I guess.

Even an improperly worn mask does something.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MarcusSA posted:

I guess.

Even an improperly worn mask does something.

Not when it's not actually filtering your air intake.

The first guy had his at a 45 degree angle under his chin like a scoop, the second guy had his raised over his mouth as he was breathing through his mouth. I'm not a doctor but I fail to see what good they're possibly doing.

At that point the masks are just giving you a false sense of security and maybe making you not take other precautions, and because you're gasping for air, if you end up in a compromised situation you're breathing in a lot more than you normally would be.

In a normal "mask worn improperly" situation like "the seal isn't perfect" they're of course helping with droplets etc.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

During the H1N1 influenza pandemic in 2009, secondary bacterial infections were also common.

https://www.healio.com/pediatrics/n...on-with-viruses

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5481322/

Secondary infections real loving bad yo

Good stuff, but the original post you were referencing was talking about people testing positive for corona for a second time after having seemingly cleared the virus. That's what seems to be kind of unclear--are people getting infected for a second time or are these just testing errors

Not those poor souls who get a secondary infection in addition to the coronavirus, which is a very real thing absolutely

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

nunsexmonkrock posted:

What kind of nose piercing? A septum piercing really isn't anymore painful than an earlobe piercing. Come to think of it, nipples (male) wasn't really painful either. I've never had cartlage pierced though.

Nostril. I've had it done twice. It makes your eye water but it ain't that bad really. I've also had my conches pierced (only one remains rip lefty) and that's pretty thick cartilage. I've had good piercers that really helped me calm and breathe through it. Getting my tattoo was much more difficult for me becuase it takes so long. Didn't hurt as much though but the length of time of the pain is much worse. Worth it though

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
hey guys i thought alot about it and came to the conclusion if you can contract this through your mucosa peoples eyes are a major point of entry. eyeslids just swipe across the eyes and push debree towards mucosal tear ducts. pretty big flaw imo. also if ur circumsized ur dick head is mucosal so you should probably be wearing a condom when out in public.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Der Shovel posted:

I saw two N95 masks at the store today. One was being worn by an EXTREMELY fat man and he had it kind of perched on/under his chin at kind of a 45 angle outward so it was like he had a scoop under his mouth.

The other was on a slightly less fat but still very fat dude and it was just like over his nose, partly over his eyes and the bottom over his mouth as he was gasping for air from under it.

Yeah this is a real concern, n95 are one-size-fits-most but there's gonna be millions of Americans who are unable to get an adequate seal no matter how they position it.'

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

EA Sports posted:

hey guys i thought alot about it and came to the conclusion if you can contract this through your mucosa peoples eyes are a major point of entry. eyeslids just swipe across the eyes and push debree towards mucosal tear ducts. pretty big flaw imo. also if ur circumsized ur dick head is mucosal so you should probably be wearing a condom when out in public.
Alright, I've taped a condom over each eye as instructed but I'm having trouble finding my way around now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yeah this is a real concern, n95 are one-size-fits-most but there's gonna be millions of Americans who are unable to get an adequate seal no matter how they position it.'

Introducing N95+ for the body positive crowd out there

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

Introducing N95+ for the body positive crowd out there

I'm pretty sure they won't need any protection. They can just take their amazing delusions over other diseases affected by their weight and turn it around to corona. In fact if you listen very carefully you can probably hear the pitter patter of hippopotamus hooves somewhere writing an article about how being 400+lbs is protective against covid.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Why/how do you have an n95 mask

Im safety manager for a construction company and have had a box of these put back for emergency work for about a year.

Burt Sexual posted:

The last place I’d want to go is a Walmart

Unfortunately my mother has to have her medication and Walmart pharmacy is the only option here. I'd rather risk that and get her anti seizure and heart medication than have her go get it you know, being higher risk and all.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Yeah, luckily we were doing some cleaning and I just happen to have 3 n95 masks and gloves

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Here in Nova-Scotia they decided that fishing is a go so there will be 4-5 guys working together on small boats for most of the day who then go home to their families at the end of the day. Also, a lot of workers live in different parts of the province and live in coastal communities just for fishing season, so lots of people are going to be moving around.

Basically, social distancing is no longer a thing for a huge chunk of our province.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
My hospital in a large metropolitan area has calculated social distancing to be about 40-60%. At that rate we won't see a true flattening of the curve until December. Major spikes coming in July and possibly again in October. Nobody will take this serious until you see someone you love suffocate to death. The reality is coming down to an effective vaccine or an affordable treatment. All of which are many months away. I will gladly be on the front lines at work for everyone as a computer dork, but I took this position and stand behind it and have done it for 20 years. I cannot work from home with what I do. Stay safe my goons.

SUPER EDIT: This is just calculations for my city and surrounding cities.

drunkb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 11, 2020

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Der Shovel posted:

At that point the masks are just giving you a false sense of security and maybe making you not take other precautions, and because you're gasping for air, if you end up in a compromised situation you're breathing in a lot more than you normally would be.

There are 2 types of face covering, loose fitting (no seal) and tight fitting (nearly airtight seal).

There are 2 airborne vectors that I know of, droplets and aerosols. Droplets can be blocked by any covering, even a sneeze guard or plastic face shield.

Aerosols follow the airflow and a loose fitting mask doesn’t stop those because they flow through the gaps in the sides. Even if you wrap your whole head in a loose scarf, if there is no difficulty breathing, aerosols find the gaps and don’t get filtered. Only a N95 or similar tight-fitting face covering worn properly blocks with aerosols, and you know it’s working by the resistance to breathing.

Almost nothing in a grocery store is filtering aerosols (this is where the initial “masks do nothing” BS came from) but almost everything people put on their face is blocking droplets, reducing their risk. People said “false sense of security” about seat belts and bike helmets, but it’s good to do something. If someone is so fat they are wheezing around a mask they probably wheeze just from walking anyway. Everyone, just cover your faces.

I am a chemist who wears respirators, not a doctor, so if anyone knows otherwise about respiratory transmission please correct me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Good stuff, but the original post you were referencing was talking about people testing positive for corona for a second time after having seemingly cleared the virus. That's what seems to be kind of unclear--are people getting infected for a second time or are these just testing errors

Not those poor souls who get a secondary infection in addition to the coronavirus, which is a very real thing absolutely

Many people may already be aware of the handful of cases that became symptomatic, tested positive, recovered, tested negative, then later tested positive again but without symptoms:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive
These are possibly just testing errors or the result of the virus lingering around while getting slowly purged from your system.

But there is also a lot of uncertainty regarding the antibody response. For instance here's a preprint study that checked recovered patients' blood for antibodies, and while most individuals had them in a handful of cases there were too few to be detectable. It might not just be a testing kit issue, some individuals may also just have trouble gaining immunity during their first infection. But reports suggest that re-infected individuals are very often not developing symptoms, which is at least better than the alternative. This would also be not-good news for vaccine development.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.30.20047365v1

This Bloomberg article mentions that patients have died during the second "round" of detected infection but doesn't cite them, and I'm having trouble finding more information on them.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Still waiting on my covid test result. I've been having some really weird symptoms.

- Past two nights, I've slept for what felt like hours, only to find out it had been 20-30 minutes. Every. Single. Time. I started screenshotting my phone's time, because I just couldn't believe it. It's true, woke up every 20-30 minutes for the last 8 hours.

- I usually have pretty visual dreams that follow a linear narrative. Last two days, all my dreams have just been moving shapes and flashes of light

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

Still waiting on my covid test result. I've been having some really weird symptoms.

- Past two nights, I've slept for what felt like hours, only to find out it had been 20-30 minutes. Every. Single. Time. I started screenshotting my phone's time, because I just couldn't believe it. It's true, woke up every 20-30 minutes for the last 8 hours.

- I usually have pretty visual dreams that follow a linear narrative. Last two days, all my dreams have just been moving shapes and flashes of light

Are you sure the acid isn't just kicking in?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m feeling better this morning in a way that has me cautiously optimistic this isn’t just another false alarm. No fever, which has been pretty normal in the morning, but I’m coughing up tons of lung butter in a way that has my breathing feeling waaaay better when I’m done. Hopefully I’m not like “gently caress!” around lunchtime when everything goes downhill again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Regarding aerosol transmission, the jury is kind of still out. Groups have found that the virus can survive in an aerosol, and people produce some aerosols just by talking and breathing. But it's not clear that these aerosols contain infectious viral particles when produced by infectious individuals. So the belief is that the virus normally spreads via larger droplets but that hasn't been definitively proven. This study was unable to detect viral RNA in air collected 10 cm from patients' mouths, with or without a mask, while they were breathing and speaking. That doesn't rule out airborne transmission but it gives hope that it isn't.
https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2020.58

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

thomawesome posted:

Are you sure the acid isn't just kicking in?

I was thinking about the similarities between what I'm going through and acid kicking in. The 2 differences are I'm not dreaming of fractals, just like a series of overlapping squares or a single triangle with a dot in it. Also, I have no problem falling asleep, I drop right off.

Other than that, yeah, it's the beginning of an acid trip.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Drunk Nerds posted:

Alcohol withdrawal? What is your temperature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m feeling better this morning in a way that has me cautiously optimistic this isn’t just another false alarm. No fever, which has been pretty normal in the morning, but I’m coughing up tons of lung butter in a way that has my breathing feeling waaaay better when I’m done. Hopefully I’m not like “gently caress!” around lunchtime when everything goes downhill again.

Good luck brother.