Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Littering is a scummy thing to do but hearing people get bent out of shape over a cigarette butt under a porch has me feeling like I live in a god drat bubble. Like that is so low on the totem pole of bad habits a laborer can have.

That being said holy poo poo did Zipperelli. dunk on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

PureEvil6_13 posted:

That's a pretty extreme assumption to come up with from me throwing a cigarette butt into an empty porch. I could have thrown out on the ground, or in his house, but if you're the kind of fancy lad that's going to walk all the way around the house to throw something like that in the dumpster, see how long you stay employed in construction.

Also, our work was considered some of the best around. We didn't cut corners or do lazy poo poo like cutting the face off of one brick and slapping it on the side of another for the corners when we capped a window well.

I'm curious, what's the most labor intensive job YOU'VE had?

Road construction doing concrete and asphalt. I'll never forget the time one of my rear end in a top hat coworkers threw his lunch trash in between the gravel and asphalt pour of a trail and we had to spend an entire day ripping out and redoing it. He thought he did really good work too.
Or how about the aircraft that had three enginges flame out because the fuelies didn't bother to clean out the tanks. They insisted they were great mechanics. Aerospace engineers hate that poo poo because we see it kill people all the time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's totally minor, but you're just burning goodwill with the client every time they have to ignore some (to them) unpleasant behaviour. There's no need for it, and a supervisor that lets people do it is damaging their business. Fine if you never want any repeat or referral business from that customer, but it's just careless.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I think we're getting away from the point of how anal retentive the guy was. There were 5 of us on that crew and we all smoked and it was about 25 years ago. Yeah it's lovely throwing your butts wherever but you have to remember, the porch was somewhere that we typically used as an ashtray because it got filled in. No one had ever cleared everything out of one before so it was sort of reflex to throw a cigarette into it. It wasn't malicious or or spiteful to the guy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I think we're getting away from the point of how anal retentive the guy was. There were 5 of us on that crew and we all smoked and it was about 25 years ago. Yeah it's lovely throwing your butts wherever but you have to remember, the porch was somewhere that we typically used as an ashtray because it got filled in. No one had ever cleared everything out of one before so it was sort of reflex to throw a cigarette into it. It wasn't malicious or or spiteful to the guy.

I totally get that, and while it may make no functional difference (and I'm not immediately jumping to "you do lovely work" like the other poster), you gotta remember that while it's just a project to you, you just threw garbage into the guy's foundation. Something he's paying you to build and something he's going to live with for potentially decades.

Will he get over it? Very likely. But it's still somewhat thoughtlessly rude to treat the hidden parts of someone's home like a municipal landfill.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I totally get that, and while it may make no functional difference (and I'm not immediately jumping to "you do lovely work" like the other poster), you gotta remember that while it's just a project to you, you just threw garbage into the guy's foundation. Something he's paying you to build and something he's going to live with for potentially decades.

Will he get over it? Very likely. But it's still somewhat thoughtlessly rude to treat the hidden parts of someone's home like a municipal landfill.

Oh yeah, I get that. When I was a dumb teenage kid I didn't.

How about I move along to roofing where there is no littering involved?

Was replacing a large, flat rubber top roof of a radiator factory one summer. The rubber sheet comes in a roll, I think 100 ft long by 50 ft wide. The rubber is covered with a layer of white rock to prevent hail from puncturing the rubber. All of this rock has to be shoveled to the side to be able to tear out the rubber.
We have this machine that's kind of like a big rotor tiller but up front it has a big brush. It's used to sweep all the pebbles and dirt off the rubber before it's removed. One of the guys on the crew had the bright idea to use the brush to move the rock instead of shoveling it. He is marginally successful as the brush simply pushed more and more rocks in front of it, eventually wearing out some very important internal mechanisms. You know, because that's not what that machine was built to do. One of the bosses lost his tits when they had to pay thousands of dollars to repair it. He tried to get someone to fess up, but that guy didn't say anything and I ain't no narc.

After tearing the rubber off you have to remove the 2 inch thick sheets of insulation that's underneath. Lots of times the insulation would be soaking wet and crumbly. You had to wear long sleeves so you wouldn't be getting fiberglass all up in your skin when it's 105 degrees.
Underneath the insulation we had to cut out any of the metal that was rusted out. There were some spots where it looked fine on top but was rusted out underneath.
I found one of these spots by falling through it one day. I stopped with the roof being at my waist. I looked down and had landed right on the middle of an air duct. Underneath that was nothing but conveyor chains with hooks hanging from them moving along. A foot or two to the left or right and I would have fallen into all of that instead.
They told me to go get a tetanus shot and come back in the morning.

I worked for my best friends dad roofing one summer. We were replacing the sheeting on a roof and I slipped and started sliding off. On the way down my boss goes "You're fired!"
I slid off the roof, landed on the ground, rolled once, and got up on my feet (it was only 8 ft from the roof to the ground). My boss asked me, "Are you ok?" I said I was fine and he said, "Ok, you're hired again".

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I worked for my best friends dad roofing one summer. We were replacing the sheeting on a roof and I slipped and started sliding off. On the way down my boss goes "You're fired!"
I slid off the roof, landed on the ground, rolled once, and got up on my feet (it was only 8 ft from the roof to the ground). My boss asked me, "Are you ok?" I said I was fine and he said, "Ok, you're hired again".

Was he messing with you, or was he serious so that you were “not an employee” when injured?

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Orvin posted:

Was he messing with you, or was he serious so that you were “not an employee” when injured?

I think he was 85% messing with me and 15% serious.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Orvin posted:

I think that 100% depended on whether OP got injured.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

At summer camp I mixed Tang into my water bottle, then pumped it all through a fancy camping water filter. The water came out clear and I broke the filter.

I'm glad you didn't fall through the roof and die in the void of steel hooks, friend.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I've spent too much time around lawyers because that reads like part of a law school hypothetical to me...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's a common joke among my heavy construction crews, "if you fall, you're fired before you hit the ground".

The lesson is, wear your drat fall protection, kids.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Also if you drop a tool from height you have to beat it down and catch it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I find a cigarette butt under my porch I'd better also see a corpse down there because the only good smoker is a dead smoker :smugbert:

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I find a cigarette butt under my porch I'd better also see a corpse down there because the only good smoker is a dead smoker :smugbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNY3ky5kTA&t=153s

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We'd all get along just fine if smokers followed the advice of renowned smoker John Arnold

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anyone can quit smoking it takes a real man to fight cancer

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

:psyduck:

:wtf:

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 14, 2020

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Someone hit the trifecta.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is that a gas line, electricity meter, and gutter downspout all within about 6" of each other? :psyduck:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is that a gas line, electricity meter, and gutter downspout all within about 6" of each other? :psyduck:

Looks to me like they're trying to cross the streams.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What bothers me the most is the poorly placed down spout can be fixed with a hacksaw and one of those cheap plastic flex pieces.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

couldcareless posted:

What bothers me the most is the poorly placed down spout can be fixed with a hacksaw and one of those cheap plastic flex pieces.

Or one elbow and a few feet of downspout.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

At first I was like "yikes I doubt that old pipe bodged into the downspout will stop the meter getting soaked" Then I realized its the :gas:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon about Farmer Brown, who has a burning airline, a derailing freight train, and an earthquake all converging on his house. His eye twitches involuntarily.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 14, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon about Farmer Brown, who has a burning airline, a derailing freight train, and an earthquake all converging on his house. His eye twitches involuntarily.

While he's working on striking a match, unaware that his stove has been leaking gas into his kitchen.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I assumed the downspout was being used as a cover for the gas pipe going vertically up the house. It hadn't occurred to me it would be an actual functioning downspout and I feel ashamed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the electrical thread:

wolrah posted:

https://i.imgur.com/FMyXDoW.mp4

Sound not related but definitely relevant.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

kid sinister posted:

From the electrical thread:

which electrical thread is this? seems like there's some magical things in there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The blue smoke is excited it is about to be freed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Beldantazar posted:

which electrical thread is this? seems like there's some magical things in there.

Please don't burn your house down

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Beldantazar posted:

The one stickied in this subforum. Also, you know that you can click the "such-and-such posted" links in quotes, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/tHWmIzn.gifv

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If I were that wall I’d collapse just out of humiliation.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m quite sure it will do exactly that.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That is the antithesis of the mesmerizing expert bricklayer video.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Doing his job correctly does not involve smushing the mortar with his hand, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zipperelli. posted:

drat, came here to post this.

Seriously, what kind of brainworms leads to someone thinking carpet in a bathroom is a good idea?

The 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zereth posted:

... Doing his job correctly does not involve smushing the mortar with his hand, right?

If you can call 'pool of mud at the site' as mortar, sure