Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I've been following Drudge's take on the pandemic, and he's been hyping it up as a huge deal since the beginning, putting up dozens of links every day to every little sensational snippet that comes out along with big red text headlines like :siren:MILLIONS DEAD? 75% OF WORLD INFECTED?:siren: and poo poo like that. It's been interesting how seemingly every other RWM outlet has been downplaying or denying everything instead. Looking at Drudge's page right now, he is outright calling Trump a failure. I thought Drudge had a huge influence among RWM and supported Trump for years so it's weird seeing him break ranks so openly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A few libertarian types went completely the other way from the GOP line of "just the flu, back to work", I guess Drudge is one of them. Shrek from Liberty Hangout is another
https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1247230158026801152

although he's still turbo racist in how he expresses it

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1249031897163890694

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The funniest thing about Hugh Hewitt becoming a Trump sycophant is he's the one who did the interview of Trump early on where the big wet boy thought Hewitt was asking about the Kurds when he brought up the Quds Force because Trump had never heard of it before.

Star Man posted:

I don't know how any of you stand to hate watch Fox News. I can't go ten seconds without wanting to hit these people in the head with a hammer.

When I watched the Oliver segment on OANN I skipped over every clip he showed.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Flesh Forge posted:

A few libertarian types went completely the other way from the GOP line of "just the flu, back to work", I guess Drudge is one of them. Shrek from Liberty Hangout is another

He's probably cooped up with Gun Girl and doesn't want the quarantine to end.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I used to like this dude, James Lileks, who writes some of the funniest poo poo about Americana. I even have his books, Interior Desecrations (should be a vintage indoor companion piece to McMansion Hell) and The Gallery of Regrettable Food, and while I have to kill the author on those to enjoy them, they’re still loving fantastic.

The problem is, Lileks lost his mind post-9/11. His blog, appropriately named The Bleat, went well off the rails in the early 00s. I check back on his site maybe every 5 years or so in hopes that he’s pulled up, but nope, still a screeching MAGA CHUD. I dunno why I bother, but his comedy writing is STILL consistently great, so the cognitive dissonance is real.

Anyway, he’s like besties with Hugh Hewitt. I remember following a link to Hewitt’s blog early on when Lileks was getting reactional-ized and thinking, “why would you associate with this loon?” And that was around 2002 or so.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ague Proof posted:

He's probably cooped up with Gun Girl and doesn't want the quarantine to end.
Lol the only thing he's doing is dropping off TP and diapers to Shitgirl's front door. She's god a hot stud husband to shelter with.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
[quote="Dirt Road Junglist" post="504050992"]
Interior Desecrations (should be a vintage indoor companion piece to McMansion Hell) and The Gallery of Regrettable Food, and while I have to kill the author on those to enjoy them, they’re still loving fantastic.

Wait did they ever release a book for McMansion Hell?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I tried to find the article, but I am not digging through the C-spam Trump thread or my history from a week ago to find it, but it talked about how RWM painting Covid-19 as a Big City problem has caused cases in smaller rural areas to spike. These communities have no hospitals, few doctors, and almost entirely elderly populations in some cases. People were interviewed who said that even if they had it they wouldn't travel to a city hospital because they're afraid of dying from something else. Anyways, President Trump will fix it.

It was bleak because it suggested some places could be entirely depopulated, towns having so many deaths that no one wants to keep living there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

PJOmega posted:

Wait did they ever release a book for McMansion Hell?

Not that I'm aware of, but if there is in the future, it's going on the bookshelf next to Lileks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I tried to find the article, but I am not digging through the C-spam Trump thread or my history from a week ago to find it, but it talked about how RWM painting Covid-19 as a Big City problem has caused cases in smaller rural areas to spike. These communities have no hospitals, few doctors, and almost entirely elderly populations in some cases. People were interviewed who said that even if they had it they wouldn't travel to a city hospital because they're afraid of dying from something else. Anyways, President Trump will fix it.

It was bleak because it suggested some places could be entirely depopulated, towns having so many deaths that no one wants to keep living there.

"Bleak" isn't strong enough its going to burn through places like that like wildfire. There's a huge number of 5-10k sized areas with little access to institutional healthcare in the best of times and it's not like there's going to be airlifts running like Berlin 1948 to get sick people out and bring supplies and goods in to people's homes. There's going to be bodies found in houses that died days/weeks/months ago in these areas as the only way anyone will know they died is a welfare check that an 8 person police department isn't going to be doing in the midst of pandemic madness.

The deep red areas where people are still going to church, having their massive family dinners, going out shopping and socializing are going to see a massive local spike that barely scratches the national news unless Trump starts screaming about saving real Americans this time.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

pentyne posted:

"Bleak" isn't strong enough its going to burn through places like that like wildfire. There's a huge number of 5-10k sized areas with little access to institutional healthcare in the best of times and it's not like there's going to be airlifts running like Berlin 1948 to get sick people out and bring supplies and goods in to people's homes. There's going to be bodies found in houses that died days/weeks/months ago in these areas as the only way anyone will know they died is a welfare check that an 8 person police department isn't going to be doing in the midst of pandemic madness.

The deep red areas where people are still going to church, having their massive family dinners, going out shopping and socializing are going to see a massive local spike that barely scratches the national news unless Trump starts screaming about saving real Americans this time.

I mean, two weeks ago the husband of a friend-of-a-friend in Colorado died, presumably COVID and pneumonia, and no one will come to collect his body. The county authorities were too afraid to get near a COVID-infected corpse. I never followed up because I'm too horrified to ask for more details, but that's already happening.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, two weeks ago the husband of a friend-of-a-friend in Colorado died, presumably COVID and pneumonia, and no one will come to collect his body. The county authorities were too afraid to get near a COVID-infected corpse. I never followed up because I'm too horrified to ask for more details, but that's already happening.

That's honestly horrible and my sympathies to that family. There's going to be a lot of stories like that in the coming months.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pentyne posted:

Yea, and they're so insulated that they will keep buying the idea that this is no big deal, or only a city (read non white) problem and carry on life like nothing is happening. All the while noticing that less and less of their neighbors are around, and the local wal-mart is now closed. But That Mr Trump says everything is okay, so there's nothing to worry about right?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Same as in italy and everywhere else, people who die at home aren't counted.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, and they're so insulated that they will keep buying the idea that this is no big deal, or only a city (read non white) problem and carry on life like nothing is happening. All the while noticing that less and less of their neighbors are around, and the local wal-mart is now closed. But That Mr Trump says everything is okay, so there's nothing to worry about right?

Really die hard evangelical and baptists community will lose a double digit % amount of their members by the end of the year and still act like its some unknowable part of god's plan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pentyne posted:

Really die hard evangelical and baptists community will lose a double digit % amount of their members by the end of the year and still act like its some unknowable part of god's plan.

I can't wait for Trumps bail out of mega churches.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pentyne posted:

Some will throw up their hands and praise the lord for their deaths. Generally though I don't think that's fasc-y enough for the right wing of this country. Anger and suffering are useful political tools when you have a populace pre-disposed to redirecting them at whatever out-group is useful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pentyne posted:

There’s a common Christian joke/story that goes around that covers this:

christians posted:

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?”

And they tell it and joke and laugh, and the ones insisting on meeting up in all of this consistently fail to realize that they are the dude on the roof.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Our CEO is sending out more batshit videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjjybyJ59Lw

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
^^ lol email guy

Anyway, have some astounding projection:
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1249867873310224384

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Flesh Forge posted:

although he's still turbo racist in how he expresses it

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1249031897163890694

https://twitter.com/libertyhangout/status/1227264277180014594

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1227264848444248065

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

I should be shocked. But I'm not. I don't know how I haven't realized that the right-wing wet dream is feudalism.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Even Karl Marx supported the right to personal property.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

D34THROW posted:

I should be shocked. But I'm not. I don't know how I haven't realized that the right-wing wet dream is feudalism.

End-game objectivism is pretty much feudalism.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Baron of the Swamp trying to explain prima nocta to Gun Girl.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Given that most right wing and dark enlightenment types know as little about how feudalism was practised as they do about any other form of government it probably would be inaccurate to call the fantasy they call "feudalism", feudalism. Their fantasy probably does include prima nocta for one...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There actually are some prominent libertarian intellectuals who have reached the logical culmination of their philosophy and come to endorse something clearly approximating feudalism as the ultimate form of "private" government, since the state literally becomes a piece of property belonging to the sovereign. Hans-Herman Hoppe is probably the most notorious example of this but he's not exactly an obscure figure in the movement and he's won plenty of awards and accolades from his fellow libertarians. Other prominent theorists like Nozick openly support the notion that in a libertarian society you could sell yourself into perpetual slavery, which would again is pretty explicitly closer to a feudal conception of property rights than the modern liberal sense of human rights, which are inalienable and impossible to voluntarily rid yourself of.

As a general rule liberals of all stripes want a public state and accompanying set of stable instituitons that are organized in a generally meritocratic fashion and which administers universally recognized and inalienable rights to a population of citizens. Liberals differ over the size and scope of the state, the role of the market, the extent to which human rights should be recognized, the definition of a citizen, or even whether the state should be run democratically, but as a philosophy that emerged in direct contrast to and critical of the ancien regime they are distinctly anti-feudal. Libertarians who progress past the smoking-dope-and-watching-South-Park phase and actually start thinking through the implications of a libertarian society do tend to end up reinventing some kind of feudal order assuming they don't simply morph into fascists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, uh, holy poo poo. Trump cuts all US funding to the WHO.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

All my idiot conservative acquaintances are cheering this move because "ThE WHO iS iN bEd WiTh ChiNa" and they're conflating the CDC, which admittedly has been showing their rear end lately, with the WHO which does amazing work.

gently caress Trump.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I have serious issues with the WHO as far as how it's used as an apparatus for foreign policy (see: debt trapping post-colonial nations), but it's a complex organization and as far as its ability to perform scientific studies, there's no reasonable justification for doubting the conclusions it publishes about a worldwide pandemic.

The CDC is if anything way more hamstrung by US political objectives than most people would believe, so while it's justified to be skeptical of the CDC more than the WHO, this really just smacks of the "shadowy Jewish cabal" conspiracy theory of globalism more than anything else. Like the IRS, the CDC has had its funding cut repeatedly while political appointees are handcuffed to run it, for better and mostly worse.

Anyway, the idea that the WHO is "in bed" with China is pretty lol especially when you consider the origin of the narrative. Did anyone ask your conservative friends why they trust big government telling them the WHO is compromised? Hell, let alone the CDC, at that.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

Did anyone ask your conservative friends why they trust big government telling them the WHO is compromised? Hell, let alone the CDC, at that.
I can answer that without even having to ask: because big daddy trunip said so :colbert:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

I can answer that without even having to ask: because big daddy trunip said so :colbert:

And mama Alex Jones.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

So Trump isn't the government now, as the head of state?

Can't he get anything done without the people he's appointed to run these organizations hamstringing him at every turn? Who knows! Now didn't y'all know, China's running the country? Ain't that a sumbitch.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

So Trump isn't the government now, as the head of state?

Can't he get anything done without the people he's appointed to run these organizations hamstringing him at every turn? Who knows! Now didn't y'all know, China's running the country? Ain't that a sumbitch.

Save yourself years if not decades of trying to understand the logical patterns that allow people to hold seemingly opposite thoughts. They aren't logical. Pointing out the hypocrisy does nothing except make you feel like you're losing your mind.

The adoration and reinforcement of Trump is no different than followers of a cult. No better, no worse. What he says goes, and his "inner circle," in this case the right wing media circus, exist to parrot him and reinforce how correct he is. To seek information outside of the circle is to betray the group. There is one group, and then there are The Others. They are wrong, the group is right. If someone in the group thinks otherwise, they are betrayers and are The Other infiltrating and must be ejected. If someone in the group questions things they are compromised and The Other and must be ejected and vilified.

The Other seeks to take our guns. Even if The Other says they have no intention to do so they are lying, because they are The Other. If our leader says explicitly that he seeks to take our guns then it is strength and we should surrender our guns because he knows best and can do no wrong. Do this because he is strong and we choose to obey him. We know that if we choose to disobey him we will be punished and so we rationalize that we enjoy obeying and do so because we enjoy, because to admit we fear the punishment is to show weakness.

Strict Father Mentality is a hell of a drug.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yeah, I'm aware. Sadly. Jabbing with Zip there.

Just imagine I posted the :umberto: umberto eco quote here instead.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yeah, I'm aware. Sadly. Jabbing with Zip there.

Just imagine I posted the :umberto: umberto eco quote here instead.

Yeah, thanks for giving me a steam vent. Family members back east hopped onto the OAN train recently and I've all but given up on that half of my family.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Our CEO is sending out more batshit videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjjybyJ59Lw

I'm about halfway through and about to close it anyway but the number of times dude's brought up that apparently HIV doesn't cause AIDS is ridiculous. He's clearly got a bigger axe to grind than the current pandemic of concern.

and he just said "because this is, again, a flu-type virus" who gave this guy a medical license

/e no one, Ph.D. from MIT in biological engineering/systems biology

"So when scurvy came around, remember scurvy, when people's teeth would fall out and they had bleeding gums? 'Well it must be a virus!' Well it was deficiency in vitamin C, a hundred years later, when even people on the ground knew it."

lol yes long before the discovery of viruses people were insisting that scurvy was caused by a virus, obviously

how much does this guy have invested in vitamin C supplements

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 15, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

I'm about halfway through and about to close it anyway but the number of times dude's brought up that apparently HIV doesn't cause AIDS is ridiculous. He's clearly got a bigger axe to grind than the current pandemic of concern.

and he just said "because this is, again, a flu-type virus" who gave this guy a medical license

Not sure on the license but it says right there he got his Ph.D from MIT. Yet somehow despite having this Ph.D in "biological engineering" he's mostly used it to bullshit things like the stuff in the video above and to make false claims about GMO food (like for example, that they have formaldehyde in them). Also he thinks COVID-19 was patented by the Pirbright Institute in India but that was for the Avian Flu which is not the same. Once again a Ph.D does not proof of intelligence make. As far as I can tell he's only a doctor in that he has the Ph.D, rather than any sort of medical discipline or profession.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

I have serious issues with the WHO as far as how it's used as an apparatus for foreign policy (see: debt trapping post-colonial nations), but it's a complex organization and as far as its ability to perform scientific studies, there's no reasonable justification for doubting the conclusions it publishes about a worldwide pandemic.

The CDC is if anything way more hamstrung by US political objectives than most people would believe, so while it's justified to be skeptical of the CDC more than the WHO, this really just smacks of the "shadowy Jewish cabal" conspiracy theory of globalism more than anything else. Like the IRS, the CDC has had its funding cut repeatedly while political appointees are handcuffed to run it, for better and mostly worse.

Anyway, the idea that the WHO is "in bed" with China is pretty lol especially when you consider the origin of the narrative. Did anyone ask your conservative friends why they trust big government telling them the WHO is compromised? Hell, let alone the CDC, at that.

Plenty of people in the Covid threads fully bought into that narrative. They aren't even trumpheads.

Taiwan did a stellar job using their recent interactions with the WHO to highlight their really awkward international diplomatic status which has led some liberals to fully buy into the "WHO is a Chinese stooge" thing.

Of course if the EU continues to be at various loggerheads with itself and the US continues to withdraw funding to the UN institutions bit by bit and stops cooperating with them; then of course these institutions will end up being dominated by the remaining superpower in play. Same as the UN was and is dominated by the US since the Soviet Union fell over.

Munin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Munin posted:

Plenty of people in the Covid threads fully bought into that narrative. They aren't even trumpheads.

Taiwan did a stellar job using their recent interactions with the WHO to highlight their really awkward international diplomatic status which has led liberals to fully buy into the "WHO is a Chinese stooge" thing.

Of course if the EU continues to be at various loggerheads with itself and the US continues to withdraw funding to the UN institutions bit by bit and stops cooperating with them then of course these institutions will end up being dominated by the remaining superpower in play. Same as the UN was and is dominated by the US since the Soviet Union fell over.

A lot of the internet has gone batshit crazy these past few days.