Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah. Grateful Dead, Beqch Boy is pretty much as close as you get to a consensus as to best Stand fight, as it's almost in everyones top 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I don't know where exactly, but I know for sure that my top 3 includes Vitamin C. Body horror at its best, incredible flashback, a ton of involved characters, a very cool and nasty stand, and there is DAMO TAMAKI

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Grateful Dead/Beach Boy, Mandom, Vitamin C, Tatoo You!, D4C Love Train.

I couldn't pick between any of these.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Agreed on the ending of the DIO fight. I accept the various explanations for why it happened, but I still think it would've been way better if throughout part 3, Joseph had been trying to teach Jotaro how to use Hamon, maybe with some resistance or reluctance from Jotaro at first. Would've had some good opportunities for bonding scenes between the two jojos, and would've tied nicely in with the general jojo themes of family, inheriting someone's will, etc. Plus the entire DIO fight could basically go exactly the same except when the World gets punched in the shin, Jotaro/SP could inject some Hamon (the Justice fight already shows us that Star Platinum breathes :haw:), wrapping up the fight cleanly and also serving as a good closing character development beat.

bing bong so simple

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 13, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sugar Mountain/Tattoo You might be my favorite "arc" in the series. Other than that, probably Highway Star and Grateful Dead/Beach Boy, yeah.

e: it was between Grateful Dead and White Album but I think I have to dock the latter points because Giorno is involved, even if only marginally, lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

Sugar Mountain/Tattoo You might be my favorite "arc" in the series.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Civil War in first place with Grateful Dead/Beach Boy in a close second

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Best fights discussion rule cause there's some fights like Beach Boy/Grateful Dead that just stick and then someone brings up a fight you forgot about and you remember that fight is sick as hell.

I love JoJo's.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Grateful Dead & Beach Boy is just one of the most well written and executed fights in the whole shonen genre. Araki really was firing on all cylinders for that arc: excellent plotting, excellent character writing, a huge amount of back and forth between the protagonists & antagonists, just a fantastic fight with two great villains built around a strong setpiece.

My personal favourite would have to be the sequence from D4C: Love Train through to Break My Heart, Break Your Heart just for the fantastic character writing, Ball Breaker and TUSK ACT 4

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

My only problem with GD&BB is the pseudo-scientific reason Araki gave for Grateful Dead not affecting Trish as much as the guys.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Technowolf posted:

My only problem with GD&BB is the pseudo-scientific reason Araki gave for Grateful Dead not affecting Trish as much as the guys.

Well it's true but the difference is super miniscule. But that miniscule difference was just what Grateful Dead was using for targeting, as he did not want to kill Trish. Presumably if he just wanted to kill everyone on the train he would have targeted everyone no matter the slight difference in heat.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

D'arby the Gambler, Highway Star, Scary Monsters.

Honorary mentions to Bites the Dust, High Voltage and Pet Shop of Horus.

It was really hard to not just write down every fight involving Rohan and Kira but I somehow did it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Technowolf posted:

Pseudoscience factoids blown way out of proportion and exaggerated to the point of absurdity are key elements of like half of all the stand battles in the series though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't really think of a fight in jojo that was so bad that it didn't have at least 1 redeeming factor to it.

Also, this isn't related to JJBA at all but I watched this vid about this bad movie about mermaids and the ending was very much so something that felt right out of a JJBA fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKBSVk2E9p8

Ending spoiler if you don't wanna watch the vid: It is established that mermaids can control water. There's 1 bad guy and a lot of non-bad people and a mermaid is gonna hit the bad guy with a big wave in order to get rid of him but he points out that that would kill everyone else and asked if she's really going to kill all these people just to kill him. Then the young girl steps in and is like "I've got a better idea" and says that humans are made of 60% water so she uses her water powers to remove all of the water from him so the only thing left is a pile of clothes.

Like, I'm legit surprised that hasn't come up in JJBA before. It seems like exactly the kind of thing Araki would do.

Also semi-related, I know that "rich person is kind to poor person" is hardly a new thing but is there any chance that the George/Dario ring exchange was inspired by Les Miserables? Les Miserables was a few years before Phantom Blood and I feel like the ring conversation is similar enough to the candlestick conversation that I wouldn't be surprised if Araki lifted that bit as a way of establishing that the Joestar aristocracy is a kind and charitable one unlike other members of the aristocracy of the time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

D'arby the Gambler, Highway Star, Scary Monsters.

Honorary mentions to Bites the Dust, High Voltage and Pet Shop of Horus.

It was really hard to not just write down every fight involving Rohan and Kira but I somehow did it.

gently caress I forgot about D'arby the Gambler AND Highway Star.

As for bizarre scientific logic being used to win fights, my favourite might be Araki clearly stumbling upon decompression sickness on wikipedia, writing the Ozone Baby fight, then teaching the world how to cure the bends using household chemicals.

Or how Josuke's Plan A for beating Angelo's step 1 is "eat a rubber glove".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love everything everyone has posted already, so I'll put my generally unpopular opinion: I love the second Darby fight. It's not as good as the first one, but I like that it's shown from the perspective of Darby trying to figure out how the hell Jotaro is beating his mind reading. And the final solution is super simple yet clever and surprising.

Bites the Dust has been mentioned but I love it because it's one of the few fights where a non-stand user is involved. I feel like this is an area that Araki could explore more - the way you beat most stands is by outsmarting the user and the stand's rules, and that's something anyone can do.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ooh yeah the second D'arby fight is great. When I was watching it I'd expected the twist to be that because Jotaro had never played before, that his intent was true re: what he meant to pitch, but he just couldn't do it because he was unfamiliar with the controls. The actual conclusion was pretty great too but I kind of liked the version I came up with better.

D'arby the gambler is probably my #1 in the series because it's just so... I dunno, pure, for lack of a better word. There are cooler fights, and more thrilling fights, but the poker game is still my favorite of the series.

Another of my favorite fights was Joseph vs. Straizo. Joseph busting out the tommy gun sold me instantly lol

And if we're going with oddball picks, I actually really enjoyed Dragon's Dream. I was actually kinda confused when I saw all the memes about how nobody understands Dragon's Dream and people hated it. It was really loving weird, sure, but that's Jojo. It was a really pretty fight, too, and I loved the stand's personality, as well as its barely-contained disdain for its piss-drinking user.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 13, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

FirstAidKite posted:

Also semi-related, I know that "rich person is kind to poor person" is hardly a new thing but is there any chance that the George/Dario ring exchange was inspired by Les Miserables? Les Miserables was a few years before Phantom Blood and I feel like the ring conversation is similar enough to the candlestick conversation that I wouldn't be surprised if Araki lifted that bit as a way of establishing that the Joestar aristocracy is a kind and charitable one unlike other members of the aristocracy of the time.

It definitely is because Dario also had a tavern like Mr. Thernadier, stole from dead people like Mr. Thernadier, and Mr. Thernadier meets Marius' dad the exact same way Dario meets George, and THAT'S why Marius' feels like he's indebted to the Thernadiers (iirc, it's been awhile). Les Miz is also Giorno's favorite story (both the book and musical, I'm assuming), and he's definitely this mix of Colette and Enjolras. There's even a copy of the book that shows up in Dead Man's Questions.

And it's really hard for me to choose fights but uhhh gonna have to give it up for D'arby The Gambler, RPS Kid and Civil War.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Araki actually read all of Les Miserables and is completely ignorant to the existence of the musical.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Civil War definitely deserves a mention just for being such a huge character moment for Johnny who is easily one of the deepest and most interesting characters in all ofJoJos.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't really think of a fight in jojo that was so bad that it didn't have at least 1 redeeming factor to it.

Also, this isn't related to JJBA at all but I watched this vid about this bad movie about mermaids and the ending was very much so something that felt right out of a JJBA fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKBSVk2E9p8

Ending spoiler if you don't wanna watch the vid: It is established that mermaids can control water. There's 1 bad guy and a lot of non-bad people and a mermaid is gonna hit the bad guy with a big wave in order to get rid of him but he points out that that would kill everyone else and asked if she's really going to kill all these people just to kill him. Then the young girl steps in and is like "I've got a better idea" and says that humans are made of 60% water so she uses her water powers to remove all of the water from him so the only thing left is a pile of clothes.

Like, I'm legit surprised that hasn't come up in JJBA before. It seems like exactly the kind of thing Araki would do.
Blackmore touches on water manipulation and even though his fight is criminally too short it's a stupidly powerful stand ability provided it's raining outside.

Also holy poo poo that video, did not expect that kind of resolution and that's in a word; brutal. Araki would 100% write a character to use that one-liner

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

How about Bohemian Rhapsody? It was pretty ridiculous and grotesque.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Brought To You By posted:

Blackmore touches on water manipulation and even though his fight is criminally too short it's a stupidly powerful stand ability provided it's raining outside.

Also holy poo poo that video, did not expect that kind of resolution and that's in a word; brutal. Araki would 100% write a character to use that one-liner

N'Doul? Angelo? Does N'Doul count or is his stand just made of water?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BaDandy posted:

His stand is just made of water.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

BaDandy posted:

I forgot about Angelo but there was no excuse to forget about N'Doul. :(:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned but I also have a soft spot for Doppio's fight against Metallica. I think that was the fight that really sold me on Part 5 as a whole and just the straight up violence of it sticks with me.

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki actually read all of Les Miserables and is completely ignorant to the existence of the musical.

What musical. :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oooh yeah doppio v metallica was loving dope, i legit did not see the end coming and as soon as i saw Aerosmith Lil Bomber i was like OH poo poo out loud

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I like the really large-scale fights in part 6: Bohemian Rapsody, C-Moon, Underworld and the whole bullshit with the snails.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Things I can't wait to see animated in Part 6:

C-Moon where you see gravity start to shift.
Green Baby
Time gradually going faster and faster
Spider Man

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

BaDandy posted:

Spider Man

I’m gonna be the one to shake his hand! It’s Strange Rope Hero! I found him first!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

I’m gonna be the one to shake his hand! It’s Strange Rope Hero! I found him first!

God, translating the Bohemian Rhapsody part is going to be hell, isn't it?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pigbuster posted:

I’m gonna be the one to shake her hand! It’s Froppy! I found her first!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just replace all the western media characters with their non-union anime equivalents

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Green Baby
Spider Man

Totally. I love how Araki just decided to gently caress up the whole universe somewhere along the way and made some of the most insane stands. They're really good too, and don't just feel like weird bullshit that's resolved in a half-assed way.
Honestly, aside from Dragon's Dream I can't remember a single bad fight in Part 6. It's just real loving good weird poo poo all the way

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My top 3 fights are Vanilla Ice, D'Arby the Gambler, and True Man's World. The latter two are very simple but in a series with as much outlandish poo poo as JoJo the fights like those tends to stand out. With Ice, though, no other Stand battle has quite matched what I felt from the very start of that fight all the way to the conclusion. I was invested in that poo poo. Other very very high ranking fights in no particular order are DIO's World, Bites The Dust/Crazy Diamond Is Unbreakable, Survivor, Emperor & Hanged Man, and BB&GD. Also special shout out to the "Who Shot Johnny?" arc for not really being a "fight" per se but still being cool as hell, albeit very confusing.

Also as of posting this I just a few minutes ago finished part 7 for the first time. It was pretty ok.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

BaDandy posted:

Green Baby
Spider Man

Spiral Staircase, Rhinoceros Beetle

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Archenteron posted:

Spiral Staircase, Rhinoceros Beetle

I know Part 4 differed but did David keep the video game VAs on for part 5? I really like their Pucci

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm pretty sure Part 5 got mostly recast (Diavolo is no longer Sephiroth, at least.)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Part 3 had some pretty bad fights in it, but thinking about it some more, it also had some loving incredible ones. Many were mentioned here, but it also had the best comedy characters. You had Hol Horse, Oingo Boingo, Enya... Oingo Boingo in particular is one of my favorite episodes, and I'm super happy Araki just spoils the punchline right at the start so that the focus can be on all the other hosed up poo poo happening in that chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vookatos posted:

So we've talked about the worst stand fight, but how about the best?

Sky High