Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I. M. Gei posted:

One of my 4x4s is stuck to the wall. Somehow two of the lag screws holding it up broke inside of it, they’re both buried too deep for me to pull them out, and the wood is too close to the wall for me to be able to get at them with bolt cutters or a saw.

I need to get this wood down one way or another, and I’d strongly prefer not to cut the entire board to pieces if I can possibly avoid it.

The only solution I can think of is to core out the screws with a drill and a bit capable of going through metal.

Is there a better idea I’m missing here?

Sawzall and an 18" demo blade works like a champ. You can bend the blade a shocking amount and still get it to cut good. They're basically jobsite fuckup erasers for anything held together with nails or screws. You can work the blade between just about anything if you rock it back and forth while cutting.

Or you can use a wonder-bar or other nail removing prybar to remove them. Dig the prybar under the screw head to put tension on it, then just back the screw out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Crowbar would be my go-to if you don't have a sawzall, yeah. If you don't have access to the screw head, you can still just muscle the entire 4x4 off. Stick a piece of scrap wood next to the 4x4 to give the crowbar something to pivot against that isn't your wall -- the scrap will distribute force enough to avoid damaging the wall.

But why do you need to take it down? Wasn't sticking the 4x4s to the wall the point of this exercise?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Crowbar would be my go-to if you don't have a sawzall, yeah. If you don't have access to the screw head, you can still just muscle the entire 4x4 off. Stick a piece of scrap wood next to the 4x4 to give the crowbar something to pivot against that isn't your wall -- the scrap will distribute force enough to avoid damaging the wall.

But why do you need to take it down? Wasn't sticking the 4x4s to the wall the point of this exercise?
Calling it now - They were off by an eighth of an inch over forty feet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hole saw centered over the broken screw (without the centre guiding bit) unless you can pry the whole thing off with a crowbar.

Slugworth posted:

Fucken lol.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hole saw centered over the broken screw (without the centre guiding bit) unless you can pry the whole thing off with a crowbar.

The hole saws I'm familiar with have a depth of cut of maybe 1", so they can't cut through even a 2x4 without having to approach the cut from both sides of the board. There's no way they'll be able to drill around a screw in a 4x4. Are there hole saws with vastly larger depths of cut?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Slugworth posted:

If only that was all that was wrong...

No, I have to move it a whole foot down, or else the entire frame won’t fit on the wall at all because it turns out I forgot to measure where my roof overhang was when I drew up my plans. :haw:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So, protip for next time: before you go cutting things or sticking things to the wall, use a 2x4 or other stick to lay out your plan in situ. Just kind of hold it up about where you're planning to put the real thing, and do that for as much of the project as you can before you start the "real" work. Plans rarely survive contact with the work site unaltered, so this helps you figure out what you need to change before changing it becomes a massive pain.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are there hole saws with vastly larger depths of cut?

Yeah. But I think what cakesmith meant was to just take out enough material where he can get on the head of the sunken bolt. I think a regular bit going round the edge of the lag bolt head would also do this, while removing less material.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
This is one of the few good uses for oscillating multi-tools as well, if there's no gap to slip even a recip blade through the multi-tool can just cut its own small slot on its way to cutting the screw/nail while leaving most the piece intact. Not that I'd expect you to have one laying around or this to justify buying one.

I'd be a little worried about prying it out honestly if we're really talking lags into the structure of the house, I'd say just drill them out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just bear in mind two things when it comes to drills

1 drilling bolts is hard work and I'd personally aim to remove wood rather than metal
2 if you are cutting away the wood then a drill is the wrong tool for anything except drilling holes. The flutes on the side look sharp but they're for clearing chips, not cutting, and putting side load on the drill bit can damage the bearings in your drill.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
You know even outside the contiguous 48 a regular ol 4x4 is only like like $12 at the local Home Depot, maybe just call it a loss and cut it up instead of risk damaging the side of your house, ruining a drill bit, or buying new tools?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I. M. Gei posted:

One of my 4x4s is stuck to the wall. Somehow two of the lag screws holding it up broke inside of it, they’re both buried too deep for me to pull them out, and the wood is too close to the wall for me to be able to get at them with bolt cutters or a saw.

I need to get this wood down one way or another, and I’d strongly prefer not to cut the entire board to pieces if I can possibly avoid it.

The only solution I can think of is to core out the screws with a drill and a bit capable of going through metal.

I might be missing something here, but can you remove the other screws, remove the 4x4 and then just get a pair of pliers on whats left of the broken screws?
If the threads from the broken screws are holding the 4x4 in place, just drill down beside the broken screws to open up the hole. After some fiddling, you should have the holes big enough that the screw threads won't hold it in place any more.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

So, protip for next time: before you go cutting things or sticking things to the wall, use a 2x4 or other stick to lay out your plan in situ. Just kind of hold it up about where you're planning to put the real thing, and do that for as much of the project as you can before you start the "real" work. Plans rarely survive contact with the work site unaltered, so this helps you figure out what you need to change before changing it becomes a massive pain.

This is good advice and has been good advice for several millennia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storey_pole

quote:

A storey pole (or story pole, storey rod,[1] story stick,[2] jury stick,[3] scantling,[4] scantillon[5]) is a length of narrow board usually cut to the height of one storey.[6] It is used as a layout tool for any kind of repeated work in carpentry including stair-building, framing, timber framing, siding, brickwork, and setting tiles. The pole is marked for the heights from (usually) the floor platform of a building for dimensions such as window sill heights, window top heights (or headers), exterior door heights (or headers), interior door heights, wall gas jet heights (for gas lamps) and the level of the next storey joists. It makes for quick, repeatable measurements without the need of otherwise calibrated measuring devices or workers skilled in using them.

Craftsmen use them to mark clapboard and brick courses so that, for example, a course ends neatly below a window sill or at a door's architrave. They are used in remodelling so that, for example, the new coursing of exterior siding on a wing will match the existing.[7]

There is evidence of 'boning-rods' being used in building Egypt's Great Pyramid as counterparts of modern storey poles.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Elem7 posted:

You know even outside the contiguous 48 a regular ol 4x4 is only like like $12 at the local Home Depot, maybe just call it a loss and cut it up instead of risk damaging the side of your house, ruining a drill bit, or buying new tools?

Have you read anything this poster previously posted?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

I. M. Gei posted:

No great options, but hole saw around the lag screw?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Carefully disassemble the house from the other side to access the back of the lag bolt.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DreadLlama posted:

I’ll keep this in mind for the future. Thanks!

Elem7 posted:

They’re not even that much around here. They’re more like $7. And I even have my own circ saw now, so I can cut it to size myself this time.

I was really hoping to reuse the wood and not have to buy more, but it looks like cutting it up may be the best option at this point. It’s not like it’ll be a ton of effort to replace it anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I was really hoping to reuse the wood and not have to buy more, but it looks like cutting it up may be the best option at this point. It’s not like it’ll be a ton of effort to replace it anyway.

Squirrel it away and you'll find a use for it somewhere I imagine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you don't have a big ol' pile of scraps waiting for a purpose, then you're probably one of those people who has regular bonfires. (don't burn pressure-treated wood, finished/painted wood, or plywood)

Another protip: you're always going to gently caress something up. Buy more supplies than you need, and save the excess for a rainy day. Eventually you'll find that you'll be able to do the occasional odd job without having to go to the hardware store at all!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have entire bins of scraps waiting for a good time to do a bonfire.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Doesn't the UK have an entire night dedicated to that sort of thing?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Same.

Also, it's never a bad idea to get some extra, standard dimensional lumber while you're at the hardware store (and have a truck/large car handy.) A couple 2x4s, 4x4s, 1x2/1x3 furring strips, and maybe some plywood. If you have a basement, you can store the long stuff in the joist bay of the floor above. Besides the plywood, the basic stuff shouldn't cost you more than $30, and can save you time in running to the store.

My backup supply has been getting hit hard as I've been working on random projects during this lockdown.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Doesn't the UK have an entire night dedicated to that sort of thing?

It's true, but last november my garden was in such a state I would've burned down half the street if I'd tried it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's true, but last november my garden was in such a state I would've burned down half the street if I'd tried it.

Isn't that the point of that dedicated night?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Doesn't the UK have an entire night dedicated to 5G towers for that sort of thing?

Thaaat's better.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Isn't that the point of that dedicated night?

Only in the way that the 4th of July is intended for accidentally shooting your neighbours.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
HD has the Ryobi 4 1/2in brushless cordless angle grinder with two batteries for $100 today. In the near future I need to change out the strut towers on my truck which are riveted to the frame with some pretty hefty rivets. Guessing they're about a 1/2 in diameter. Would it be up to the task of cutting the heads off those? Or will I just blow through batteries and should spend the same money or a little less on a Metabo or Bosch corded model.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Get a corded one. Cordless is for when you've already got a couple grinders.

Although get it if you want the batteries and buy a cheap harbor freight corded model to go along with it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sanchez posted:

HD has the Ryobi 4 1/2in brushless cordless angle grinder with two batteries for $100 today. In the near future I need to change out the strut towers on my truck which are riveted to the frame with some pretty hefty rivets. Guessing they're about a 1/2 in diameter. Would it be up to the task of cutting the heads off those? Or will I just blow through batteries and should spend the same money or a little less on a Metabo or Bosch corded model.

Got a link? I can't find that. They're probably 2v batteries, but if even 3v, I'd jump on it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

coathat posted:

Get a corded one. Cordless is for when you've already got a couple grinders.

This. The angle grinder is my only cordless tool that chews through multiple batteries in one use.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Got a link? I can't find that. They're probably 2v batteries, but if even 3v, I'd jump on it.

Looks like 3Ah batteries:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-P423/311807642

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Thank you chaps, corded it is!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Out of stock, lmao.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just a reminder that these are the best got drat utility knives out there. I've had mine for years and picked up a second one because who doesn't need like 2-3 of these in random places.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-18mm-11-Blade-Folding-Utility-Knife/1001592028

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

tater_salad posted:

Just a reminder that these are the best got drat utility knives out there. I've had mine for years and picked up a second one because who doesn't need like 2-3 of these in random places.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-18mm-11-Blade-Folding-Utility-Knife/1001592028

Agreed. When I figured out the part under the blade could be used to scrape drywall edges my mind was blown, chews right through it for those tight fit cuts. I have had it for something like 10y, says patent pending on it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have similar ones under the brand Rolson

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WDXMYG

And yeah, I've got 3 of them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Today I learned Husky no longer makes the best utility knife ever, their quick change one. It was fantastic, you put 5 blades in at once, and when one dulled, you'd press a button, pull the blade out, and then retract the knife, and when you extended it back out, there was a new blade on. Made demo jobs where you were cutting a bunch of carpet and drywall a breeze.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a bin dedicated just to plane shavings to use as fire starters. It's magical

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does anyone know if anyone makes something like this that isn’t $500?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DEZO8/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Lol at trying to buy something right now with both ‘face shield’ and ‘respirator’ in the description, and I have one I can borrow for the job at hand (turning pressure treated Pine), but I’d like to have something similar on hand. My normal half face respirator keeps the dust out of my lungs, but it pushes my safety glasses up enough that they let some dust into my eyes. 3m seems to make full face respirators/gas mask things, but that seems a little overkill since all I need to keep out is relatively coarse dust.

Any solutions appreciated!

People have replied, but I thought I should throw the Dräger mask into the ring. I’ve got a half mask which I like, but they make full masks too.
https://www.draeger.com/en_uk/Products/X-plore-5500
The present state of affairs makes searching on Amazon difficult, but I think the X-plore range is what you want.
One point to keep in mind is that while the separate perspex face shields posted are good for impact protection they don’t help with floating dust. It’s not much of an issue normally, but if you’re sanding something like toxic tropical hardwood the dust is very fine and bad news to get in your eyes even floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DreadLlama posted:

There is evidence of 'boning-rods' being used in building Egypt's Great Pyramid as counterparts of modern storey poles.

THis is why we need a Beavis and Butthead sitting on the couch giggling smiley thing.