Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Archer666 posted:

I'd still rather have this than the 50 foot Asuka in high heels from ANIMA.

That sounds terrible is it terrible?

Yeah that looks pretty terrible. But is it really as bad as it looks?

an Eva Wiki posted:

Asuka, who's 17 in ANIMA, has fully recovered from her mental trauma she suffered during the end of the anime. She's now very cheerful and cares a lot for Shinji and even for Rei, something that would have been unbelievable 3 years ago. She still pilots Unit-02 which is later modified into the Evangelion Unit-02 Type II.

When Asuka (piloting her Eva-02 Allegorica) got infected by some unknown ancient living organisms during her fight against Armaros on the Moon, she somehow merged with her Eva, resulting in the creation of a Human-Evangelion Synthesis.

The best description for her would be that of a giant woman with Evangelion-like details throughout her body than an Eva per se. She sports an all-red armor, despite the fact that Asuka was using the silver-armored Eva-02 Allegorica at the time of her infection. She still uses the Allegorica but the unit is now part of her own body, being her "hair". That means that she is now able to fly whenever she wants. She also still has an Entry Plug, even though it is virtually useless.

The main problem for this entity is her behavior. She has more or less the mentality of a baby, toying with tanks and having next to no knowledge about the world.

She was nicknamed "Crimson A1" by NERV JAPAN, much to Hikari's dismay. The latter told the others to call her "Asuka" in order to return her to her former human self. After a failed attempt to bring back Asuka to her normal self, she was absorbed into another dimension.

She would later come back as an enemy as the Torwartα1'. The latter has virtually the same appearance as Crimson A1 but with a black and a much darker red color scheme.

I see. ANIMA strikes me as basically fully-sanctioned fanfic designed to extract money from Eva fans through new models Evas with even dumber names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I got about 15 'episodes' in and realized it was Cargo Cult Eva without any of the charm of the original. poo poo like "Rei.Quattro then psychically reaches out to Rei Prime and the combined power of their AT Field causes the Eva 0.æon to deactivate and be retrieved by the Eva 00-Fulltype on the moon before the Sphere of Longinus..."

Finally something that makes Eva-R seem good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i have kinder feelings towards fanfiction than most goons probably, but the problem with Evangelion fanfiction in particular is that it's only possible to write good Evangelion if you desperately want NOT to be Shinji, Asuka, Misato, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

now if you had obsessive projected feelings about Yui as a character and wanted to rewrite the setting to express them, you could probably pull it off

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

that just looks like a heavily armored Unit 02 with some little unit 01 shoulder things? 8+2 was the split down the middle one from the preview at the end of 333 which means it will never be seen again or get redesigned.

its from the most recent trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffbBbB9cA8

That looks delightfully bonkers. I'm hopeful that this will be even crazier than EoE and I hope that it is.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like 3.0+1.0 is officially post-poned until TBA

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/04/17/evangelion-3010-anime-film-delayed-from-june-release-due-to-coronavirus

Though at least we get a visual to keep us content.

Bye bye all of evangelion until the next weird crossover merch.

DC Murderverse posted:

That sounds terrible is it terrible?

Yeah that looks pretty terrible. But is it really as bad as it looks?

I see. ANIMA strikes me as basically fully-sanctioned fanfic designed to extract money from Eva fans through new models Evas with even dumber names

Its basically really dumb fan-fiction yes. It also got an official English release six months ago if you're feeling masochistic, which I'm not (yet).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The TV series used dream sequences where Shinji was waiting on a train as the medium for him to have conversations with with mother before her identity was explicitly revealed. An empty railroad track echoes that, although it's not really anything new relative to all the hints in Rebuild 3 that she's been gone from Unit-01 (if not gone period) for quite some time.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Okay I'm blind, thanks. I thought I'd long since seen that trailer (barely remember) and didn't even parse the image being part of it because of rotation.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time

Surprised they broke with the You Can (Not) naming scheme. Even despite all the other unexpected nonsense, I mean.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pretty good posted:

Surprised they broke with the You Can (Not) naming scheme. Even despite all the other unexpected nonsense, I mean.

I'm really sad they broke with the poster scheme they had going for the first 2 movies. It'd be neat to see 4 versions of it next to each other.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat the delay sucks. The new art and trailer are dope though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pretty good posted:

Broke with the naming scheme. Broke with the numbering scheme. Poster prominently features a track that splits from the main line... :thunk:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ATP_Power posted:

about 4s into the trailer.

Awesome avatar/text my nonconscious poster entity

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

now if you had obsessive projected feelings about Yui as a character and wanted to rewrite the setting to express them, you could probably pull it off

I dunno, it didn't work too well when Gendo tried it.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

FilthyImp posted:

Broke with the naming scheme. Broke with the numbering scheme. Poster prominently features a track that splits from the main line... :thunk:

Trolly-problem Shinji is going to multitrack drift this timeline out of existence.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I always said that 2.22 went notably off the rails so it will be interesting if that idiom holds and that key visual relates. I'd like to see the loop theory addressed, "This time" and whatnot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I dunno, it didn't work too well when Gendo tried it.

but it did produce a working evangelion :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

2reachmu posted:

Trolly-problem Shinji is going to multitrack drift this timeline out of existence.

Aoba announces danger to manifold while Maya vomits everywhere

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Awesome avatar/text my nonconscious poster entity

NGE broadcast is what finally triggered the scramblers to come clobber us. It was 2deep4them.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aoba announces danger to manifold while Maya vomits everywhere

This leads to a plug suit vomit inflation fetish.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Something on the more interesting/weird doujin side of EVA related ephemera.
https://twitter.com/MSX68060/status/1251178341446500357

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

2reachmu posted:

Shinji, if you don't get in the robot, everyone dies, but if you get in the robot, you kill your dad and five random people.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

2reachmu posted:

I thought Antarctica was destroyed when Second Impact happened.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Khara threw the Rebuilds up on Youtube if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM4FwhxLYLHlOSPnfxmxSQw

No English subs (I think? Youtube's stupid) but I'm still glad to see it cuz I don't like Netflix!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Khara threw the Rebuilds up on Youtube if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM4FwhxLYLHlOSPnfxmxSQw

No English subs (I think? Youtube's stupid) but I'm still glad to see it cuz I don't like Netflix!

Youtube can auto-translate Japanese subs, with amazing results:

In other news, Japan's having an Evangelion megapoll. Preliminary results:

Favorite Evangelion Characters

4th place: Shinji Ikari
5th place: Misato Katsuragi
6th place: Mari Makinami Illustrious
7th place: Ryoji Kaji
8th place: Pen Pen
9th place: Gendo Ikari
10th place: Maya Ibuki

Favorite Evangelion Lines

11th place: "Father! I'm the Eva-01 pilot, Shinji Ikari!" - Shinji Ikari, Evangelion: 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance
15th place: "It's fun. I was born to meet you." - Kaworu Nagisa, Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
18th place: "Bathing is the laundry of life." - Misato Katsuragi, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone

:meowth:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If the 1st place line isn't "Congratulations!" we've hosed up as a society.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

how tf is penpen not #1

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How did Kaji beat Pen Pen!?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

wtf people actually like Mari? She's like... barely anything

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Maaya Sakamoto Factor most not be underestimated.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

mari is the only one that has a good time piloting and is in most of the dopest scenes in rebuild. also her evas look cool.

might be based on a sega saturn game character which is pretty funny.

Mayumi_Yamagishi

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

mari is the only one that has a good time piloting and is in most of the dopest scenes in rebuild. also her evas look cool.

might be based on a sega saturn game character which is pretty funny.

Mayumi_Yamagishi

I think you'll find that Mana Kirishima from Girlfriend of Steel is best girl

(also this isn't Yui its Mana :tinfoil:)

(L-R: Shinji, Mana, Kensuke, Asuka)

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought Antarctica was destroyed when Second Impact happened.

It's a prequel to: 'PEN PEN: ONSEN NIGHTMARE IF...'

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah, Rebuild 2.22, which has some of my favorite music to come from Evangelion, especially during the Zeruel fight

2EM31_0948 ''In My Spirit'' (Zeruel appears)
2EM32_0910 ''Keep Your Head Above The Mayhem'' (Mari joins the fight)
2EM33_0902 ''The Final Decision We All Must Take'' (02 Beast Mode)
2EM36_16 & Sin From Genesis (2EM36) (which lacks the main melody at 0:21 in _16) (01's Arousal)

The children's choirs for Bardiel and Near Third Impact were a nice touch too

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

2reachmu posted:

a few weeks ago someone on my twitter was tweeting about how there are no Big Robot fighting games and mentioned that a game where you can fight as all of the Eva units and (most of the) angels would be really cool, and I realized that I think we missed out on a late-era SNES sprite-based fighting game for Eva that would go along with all of the other anime fighters from that period, just really bad and only made with the first 13 episodes in mind so all the weird non-canonical arcade mode endings are hilarious in retrospect and they somehow came up with a moveset for Ramiel who is randomly the same size as all the Evas

someone should make that in the same engine they used to make that Gundam game that got repurposed into a Power Rangers game, that's exactly what level of quality I'm talking about.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 22, 2020

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/foompi/status/1231660883291582464

Might as well include the video that demos all the characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zkt2oNERA

YamataNoOrochi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 22, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have this for the PSP. It's delightful.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

For a second there I thought P1 was Lilith

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tech Romancer kicked rear end and is one of my favorite Dreamcast games. All of the fighters were mechs that were very obvious homages to existing media properties from super robots like Mazinger to real robots like Macross. One of them was pretty clearly an Eva, and I remember it having a progressive knife as an item, as well as a lance of Longinus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XMNsmnHOtU

lol, the pilot is even a blue haired woman named Kei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Zeruel posted:

(also this isn't Yui its Mana :tinfoil:)

(L-R: Shinji, Mana, Kensuke, Asuka)
I've loved this image for a long time because it's incredible theory bait.

My idea on this one is: Red glasses on the right is Asuka's mom, and Mari is cloned from her.

I don't know of any information that says otherwise as to who that even is. The latter part is pure :tinfoil: though. The idea comes from Mari being able to pilot 02 in a pinch for the same kind of reason that Rei can pilot 01.