Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Baronash posted:

Bummer, though I see what you mean about reglazing in place. From removing the glass, it seems simple enough: putty on the inside and some clip in beading facing out. Is there any reason I shouldn't consider replacing it myself?

I can't see a reason. I reglazed one of mine in place, as the glass had been replaced by a previous owner with cracked and faded lexan. It's a 130 year old window, so it wasn't perfectly square. I was able to shave the wood bevel a bit more square, and put a double glazed insert cut for me by a glass shop in. I put glazing triangles around the edge, and puttied it in.

I'm actually planning to reglaze the rest and want to router out the frames a bit deeper and more square, but like you, I want to take them apart to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

They're somewhat expensive but their stuff is great: https://www.rockler.com/

Thanks for the rec, time to run their stuff by the head honcho of home decor/design now :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Managed to get a good bit of work in today clearing out my garage.

My girlfriend has been away since Feb and a lot of her stuff was in there, but today I finally managed to move the rest into my back porch.

Just have to get rid of my old stove, and I'll finally be able to drive my truck all the way through again (provided I cut down the drat basketball hoop in the way on my back patio area) so I can easily fill up my raised beds with soil (assuming I can still get sol from the garden center...I think garden centers are open for curbside pickup, and it's not like bulk dirt can be anything BUT curbside.)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yes, the current draw from those bulbs will be tiny, well within the socket spec. Buy those, do that, post pics.
Once I decide to bite the bullet on the few hundred dollars worth of equipment for landscape lighting, I'll do this. Thanks for the confirmation.

I saw people talking about garage lighting a few pages ago. I just grabbed two of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKRXDB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and while I only just put them in a few minutes ago, they seem great. Supposedly 6000 lumens each, and I already had the light bulb sockets installed, so it's a great way to covert existing, standard sockets into some serious light output. Otherwise I'd have had to disconnect the existing sockets and install a new type of hardware. For a grand total of $36, I'm pleased.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Once I decide to bite the bullet on the few hundred dollars worth of equipment for landscape lighting, I'll do this. Thanks for the confirmation.

I saw people talking about garage lighting a few pages ago. I just grabbed two of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKRXDB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and while I only just put them in a few minutes ago, they seem great. Supposedly 6000 lumens each, and I already had the light bulb sockets installed, so it's a great way to covert existing, standard sockets into some serious light output. Otherwise I'd have had to disconnect the existing sockets and install a new type of hardware. For a grand total of $36, I'm pleased.

Thanks. Impulse bought this as a stop gap until I can install proper lighting in my garage-- because my ceiling drywall needs a lot of repairs. :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Another question about our new vinyl windows, but a different issue.

When the guys who sold us the windows were evaluating our existing ones, and noticed we had a window air conditioner unit in one room, they cautioned us that we need some kind of... sleeve? cushion? blanket? to inhibit vibrations or else it might break the windows. Problem is we're trying to find such a thing now and we really have no idea what the hell he was telling us to buy. Is this a real thing? I see slipcovers designed to block air, but they don't look like enough to stop vibrations. I also see weather foam, but I'm not sure that's what he meant either. I think we assumed it would be easy to Google so we didn't ask him to get really specific...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Another question about our new vinyl windows, but a different issue.

When the guys who sold us the windows were evaluating our existing ones, and noticed we had a window air conditioner unit in one room, they cautioned us that we need some kind of... sleeve? cushion? blanket? to inhibit vibrations or else it might break the windows. Problem is we're trying to find such a thing now and we really have no idea what the hell he was telling us to buy. Is this a real thing? I see slipcovers designed to block air, but they don't look like enough to stop vibrations. I also see weather foam, but I'm not sure that's what he meant either. I think we assumed it would be easy to Google so we didn't ask him to get really specific...

Give him a call maybe?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Good lord, these are $135 a piece on the Canadian site.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mr.belowaverage posted:

Good lord, these are $135 a piece on the Canadian site.

Shipping may be slower but there's a lot of them on ebay for $10-20. If they look the same they're almost certainly made in the same factory.
example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Garage...4oAAOSwR-9d-iIm

Canadian ebay:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10000LM-E27-High-Bright-LED-Garage-Light-Deformable-Ceiling-Light-Workshop-Lamp/372901307097

There's tons of sellers so those are just example links.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Am I allowed to post here if I live in a condo *ducks*

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Am I allowed to post here if I live in a condo *ducks*

Based on the one condo I rented for a few years you would be more at home with this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I havent had any problems. The person upstairs left some water running when she was gone for a month and the whole place had to be torn apart due to mold. But nothing got into my unit presumably because of all the concrete.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

actionjackson posted:

I havent had any problems. The person upstairs left some water running when she was gone for a month and the whole place had to be torn apart due to mold. But nothing got into my unit presumably because of all the concrete.

This happened in our old building. They shut off water to do some maintenance, and someone must have tried to turn it on in the morning and forgotten to turn it off, causing the sink to overflow all day and completely flood the floor below.

Total nightmare fuel.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Trick question all of our homes belong in that thread! (Yes, :justpost: )

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Trick question all of our homes belong in that thread! (Yes, :justpost: )

In that case, I've owned a small condo since 2011. I'm into modern design and generally not having a lot of stuff, which is why my entry area in the pic has pretty much always been empty (it doesn't get any natural light which is why I don't have my computer there). I just had the carpet replaced with a medium oak laminate which looks really nice. I'm still waiting for my rugs to be delivered. I have stuff on the wall related to dogs, maps, and MC Escher.

Also a question - I'm having my bathroom repainted, as it has some humidity damage. Due to that damage and the fact that painting bathrooms kind of sucks (I've done other painting in the entry which was pretty easy), I got these estimates today from a professional painter - do they seem reasonable cost-wise?

quote:

-Option #1: Wash mildew, prime where mildew was, patch, sand and 2 coat paint the walls. Touch up the ceiling where previous paint from the walls got on the ceiling. This ceiling touch up will not blend in perfectly....$750.00

-Option #2: Same as option #1, except we will plastic off the walls and floor and spray paint the ceiling in full. This will ensure uniformity in the color of the ceiling....$900.00

Our price above includes all labor and materials included in completing our scope of work. We will also clean up, as best we can, the old paint color that got on the tub and other surrounding areas.

They charge a base rate of about $500/day, so the first option would be 1.5 days (they charge based on time and materials, not square footage). I originally had a super dark brown paint in there so I didn't notice all the humidity damage until someone pointed it out to me (I never used the fan as much as I should have).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I own a condo (condex but whatever) and I post in this thread and no one is the wiser. I can't be the only one.

actionjackson posted:

Also a question - I'm having my bathroom repainted, as it has some humidity damage. Due to that damage and the fact that painting bathrooms kind of sucks (I've done other painting in the entry which was pretty easy), I got these estimates today from a professional painter - do they seem reasonable cost-wise?

It doesn't seem unreasonable but it's really hard to say and I'm sure there's a lot of regional variation. If you're worried about it get another couple of estimates, which isn't a bad idea anyway. To get *just* the walls when I moved into this place (e.g. no trim) I think the painter charged me around $225 a "full" room (kitchen, livingroom, bedrooms, etc) for two coats of a single color (not including paint). It's not really comparable but time-wise that seems to be in the same ballpark.

Have you figured out what the humidity damage is from? If your bathroom needs better ventilation or something like that and you don't address it first you'll just be paying them a bunch of money to put on paint that is going to get hosed again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I didn't use my fan during showering like an idiot. And I never noticed because of how dark the wall was.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 21, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

guess how many square feet this house is

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Would be ~1700 in a lower income neighborhood but the brick in the yard and my vibe on the property is telling me it's closer 2500.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I should give a little more info to help - not saying the above is right or wrong, but this is in very nice area - it's on a road that borders the Mississippi on one side, in St. Paul MN. I bike or walk over here often as it's just a mile or so from me. A typical home on this road (this is not a typical one) would be a 2500-3k square foot colonial, valued at around 600-900K. There are also several complete loving palaces that are close to 5K square feet and valued between 1-2 million (but not many).

Yes our housing prices are really that low.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm saying 5618 for *checks notes* 80 Mississippi River Boulevard.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Geez do you guys really have to spoil things immediately like that? ugh

anyway I have no idea how that number is possible but here's the house. It has a huge basement but still.

You would never think it's even half the actual square footage, nor that it looks how it does inside.

https://www.remax.com/mn/saint-paul/home-details/80-mississippi-river-blvd-n-saint-paul-mn-55104/17891400993991960096/M00000345/5287437

so yeah that house is bigger than this

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mn/saint-paul/208-mississippi-river-blvd-s/pid_35405735/

and this

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mn/saint-paul/322-mississippi-river-blvd-n/pid_34667875/

somehow

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 22, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I guess I was right about it looking pricey but wow yeah that's a lot of square footage stuffed in there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

I guess I was right about it looking pricey but wow yeah that's a lot of square footage stuffed in there.

it only has two levels too, I guess it just goes pretty far back.

but lol at 900K and you get a lovely 1970s Ikea catalog kitchen

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

It looks like 1200 then I notice how small the front door actually looks.... That's a comfy floorplan tho

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I love floorplans but I hate that floorplan.

Something is very wrong with the kitchen, either it's tiny irl or if the dimensions are correct, it's drawn way wrong. There's no island and no pantry?! The oven isn't in the kitchen???? The music room is just a bullshit hallway. The wet bar is right next to the kitchen. Laundry appears to be jammed in one of the tiny bathrooms (I guess second laundry, presumably because it's such a loving schlep to the basement laundry room). It's in Minnesota and there's no mud room and if you enter through the garage, you have to traipse through half the house!! There's almost no closets/storage??

Obviously I'm not saying that pantries and walk-in closets are necessary for life, but in a house of that size, those are some unhappy priorities

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yup, it's a bad layout that probably was created from a very outdated house that was remodeled but not in a way people would like today.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

actionjackson posted:

anyway I have no idea how that number is possible but here's the house. It has a huge basement but still.

You would never think it's even half the actual square footage, nor that it looks how it does inside.

https://www.remax.com/mn/saint-paul/home-details/80-mississippi-river-blvd-n-saint-paul-mn-55104/17891400993991960096/M00000345/5287437

so yeah that house is bigger than this

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mn/saint-paul/208-mississippi-river-blvd-s/pid_35405735/

and this

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mn/saint-paul/322-mississippi-river-blvd-n/pid_34667875/

somehow

I can't tell if I love or hate that kitchen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I love floorplans but I hate that floorplan.

Something is very wrong with the kitchen, either it's tiny irl or if the dimensions are correct, it's drawn way wrong. There's no island and no pantry?! The oven isn't in the kitchen???? The music room is just a bullshit hallway. The wet bar is right next to the kitchen. Laundry appears to be jammed in one of the tiny bathrooms (I guess second laundry, presumably because it's such a loving schlep to the basement laundry room). It's in Minnesota and there's no mud room and if you enter through the garage, you have to traipse through half the house!! There's almost no closets/storage??

Obviously I'm not saying that pantries and walk-in closets are necessary for life, but in a house of that size, those are some unhappy priorities

Did you look at the full listing photos, everything is gorgeous and perfect and huge. Unf it's really good with original built-ins and huge but practical windows.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

soz, the cat was out of the bag

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The kitchen is definitely disproportionately small and narrow

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

100 feet of riverfront? I don't usually think of riverfront properties as having (what looks like) a major road between the property and the river

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wait, that's in Minnesota? Show me the heating bill for that monster.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

peanut posted:

Did you look at the full listing photos, everything is gorgeous and perfect and huge. Unf it's really good with original built-ins and huge but practical windows.
Huge rooms and a nonsensical layout is how you get McMansions :colbert: it doesn't matter how much woodwork there is if you can't fit two people in the kitchen and you're always having to go get dressed in the basement

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Steve French posted:

100 feet of riverfront? I don't usually think of riverfront properties as having (what looks like) a major road between the property and the river

Yeah that's kind of deceiving - there aren't any homes actually on the Mississippi because it's quite a bit lower in elevation than anything else. And yes there's a road there. However many of the most expensive single family in the Twin Cities on this road, or it's equivalent on the other side of the river, the most notable being the mill district which is on the northern edge of downtown Minneapolis. In either case, living on that road tends to be very desirable as it's very quiet.

I suppose someone with two much money that really loved 1970s everything might appreciate the house. But god drat those peach, pink and yellow walls just offend every bone in my modernist body.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 23, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops forget attachment. Summit Avenue also has tons of old, very expensive homes (very expensive for this area is 1-2m)

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
Recently went through the trouble of lugging my old desk down the stairs and replacing it with two cheapo build’em’up Office Depot desks (one standard, one L-shaped). Wanted to make a little corner nook for my wife and my computers, yeah? Well, I sort of miscalculated the sizes and now have a very ugly and cramped office space clogging the corner of our room.

To make a long story short, would it be worth it to DIY a $300 L-shaped desk into a better-fitting frankendesk? The basic woodwork shouldn’t be too hard, as it’d just be removing one side’s legs and replacing them with the corner cabinet instead. The wife is begging me to just sell them and get a better sized two-person desk.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

actionjackson posted:

A typical home on this road (this is not a typical one) would be a 2500-3k square foot colonial, valued at around 600-900K. There are also several complete loving palaces that are close to 5K square feet and valued between 1-2 million (but not many).

Yes our housing prices are really that low.

That house would be around 300-400k here in NE TN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

And $17.2K a year in taxes. I never would've thought of MN as a high-tax locale.

They probably should've spent less money on expanding the size and more on updating from the 60s-style, well, everything.