Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Aggro posted:

Quick question about focus:

Let's say I open a door and take a step back, and there are two melee monsters in the room. Both monsters have say, move 2/attack 2. On the monsters' turn, the first one steps into the doorway and attacks.

The second monster now has no viable spaces to attack from. Does he just stand there like a doofus?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Aggro posted:

Let's say I open a door and take a step back, and there are two melee monsters in the room. Both monsters have say, move 2/attack 2. On the monsters' turn, the first one steps into the doorway and attacks.

The second monster now has no viable spaces to attack from. Does he just stand there like a doofus?
Yes, assuming they:

• Don't have Fly
  • Don't have Jump this round
  • Are making a Melee attack without reach, or are just moving without an attack, or are disarmed

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Abusing the dumb enemy AI is a huge part of the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kylaer posted:

Got into this recently because of the pandemic lockdown, playing with one other person, we're about twelve missions in so far. Overall I like the game a lot, although there are a couple of design decisions I don't like (the big one being that you have to use cards to move even when you've cleared out a room and are moving towards the door to the next room - I understand why they designed it this way, but I don't like it, I want to be able to consolidate up to the next door without wasting cards). The mission clock imposed by the relatively small hand size and ongoing card loss is kind of brutal and stressful, too.

A question involving some spoilers about a fairly early branch in the campaign. We unlocked mission 8 and an alternate, went with the alternate, and apparently have locked ourselves out of mission 8 because we got The Dead Invade. Mission 8 is apparently necessary to unlock mission 7. I really, really don't want to miss out on any missions, particularly since I'm hunting for forest imps to complete my personal quest and I haven't seen a single one in any of the missions so far, and as I was flipping pages in the mission book I did incidentally see that mission 7 has forest imps. I read in the rule book about Campaign Mode versus Casual Mode, and we did re-run a couple of missions on Casual Mode already to pick up treasure chests we missed the first time, but can we unlock mission 7 by running mission 8 in casual mode?. If we can't we're probably going to say gently caress the police and do it anyway because I want to complete that quest :rolldice:

IIRC you can play any unlocked scenario in casual mode, but you can't unlock new scenarios in casual mode

There's nothing stopping you from just playing whatever scenarios you want out of the scenario book, but you might consider holding off on that until you finish the campaign, like a "let's see what we missed out on" adventure. Part of the fun is the branching logical progression and how the world changes as you make progress, and that's going to necessitate a small number of missions getting locked out.

Unfortunately, your personal quest is kind of crummy imo; those enemies aren't very common. Some groups house-rule a "level 10" retirement, basically you can retire anytime once you have enough xp to have reached a hypothetical level 10, you could always do that if you're not able to make progress on your personal quest. I believe random dungeons are also an eligible path for finding the monsters you need

If you don't mind spoiling yourself, someone wrote up a guide for every personal quest with logical scenario routes for finishing them as fast as possible:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1932120/personal-quest-guide

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Aggro posted:

If it's like you describe, then the second monster may actually move forward. You said that you back up, and the first monster is standing on the doorway. The second one may have a path to reach you, since it can move through its ally. This is true even if you have a trap next to you, since it's still a viable path. If there's an obstacle or another player by the doorway, then it's a different story and it probably won't move.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah focus is determined as though the monster has infinite movement, keep that in mind; don't take their current range of movement into account, just whether there's a hex that they could hypothetically reach that would allow them to make an attack

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Question about road events:

If we decide to travel to a scenario, resolve a road event, then open up the scenario page and see that we don't meet the requirements for the scenario for whatever reason, are we supposed to do another road event to "travel" somewhere else, or do we just pick a different scenario and pretend we went there instead?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did the second mission again solo with the basic card deck. Yep it's harder, but not so much that I didn't get through it with one character (brute) against a level 1, 2 player scenario. As long as you move fast and merrily dole out your lose the card attacks it's still doable. Plenty of tools available to minimise your incoming attacks or damage as well as dole out a single killing round. Used the jump 2 damage and then that big 6 damage attack on the boss and took him down after throwing a knife at him as I came in. Used my potion and boots, had two cards left and 2hp.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Phelddagrif posted:

If it's like you describe, then the second monster may actually move forward. You said that you back up, and the first monster is standing on the doorway. The second one may have a path to reach you, since it can move through its ally. This is true even if you have a trap next to you, since it's still a viable path. If there's an obstacle or another player by the doorway, then it's a different story and it probably won't move.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah focus is determined as though the monster has infinite movement, keep that in mind; don't take their current range of movement into account, just whether there's a hex that they could hypothetically reach that would allow them to make an attack

Ah man, I thought I had it right. So in my example, the second monster is 3 squares away from me — an empty hex and a square occupied by his buddy are the first two — and he only has 2 movement. However, if he hypothetically had more movement, he would be able to get to another square adjacent to me. In that case, he would move 1 square.

Or more succinctly, if there are any viable squares from which a character can be attacked, then the monster can find focus and will move toward that focus if it has available movement.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Scoss posted:

If we decide to travel to a scenario, resolve a road event, then open up the scenario page and see that we don't meet the requirements for the scenario for whatever reason, are we supposed to do another road event to "travel" somewhere else, or do we just pick a different scenario and pretend we went there instead?

I would just pick another scenario and say the road event applied to that one.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Jabor posted:

You can continue to use the rest of your movement after opening the door. You are correct about the other things - you finish your turn entirely (including your second action card), then any monsters with initiatives before yours will take their turns, then regular initiative order resumes.

gently caress me, I've been playing a year ending all movement when hitting a door (still doing the other card if applicable). I just checked the rules and the "revealing a room" section doesn't mention at all whether to continue movement, but the "doors" entry in the terrain section states that, you're right, closed doors don't impede movement.

That's Gloomhaven.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Almost

Aggro posted:

Or more succinctly, if there are any viable squares from which a character can be attacked and has a movement path to (no obstacles or enemies in the way, unless the monster is flying), then the monster can find focus and will move toward that focus if it has available movement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Reddit AMA with Isaac.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Scoss posted:

Pretty sure the intention is that you should read the requirements on the scenario pages before choosing which scenario to travel to so the question should never come up. For now, yeah, the latter; you shouldn't be doing more than one road event per scenario.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aggro posted:

Ah man, I thought I had it right. So in my example, the second monster is 3 squares away from me — an empty hex and a square occupied by his buddy are the first two — and he only has 2 movement. However, if he hypothetically had more movement, he would be able to get to another square adjacent to me. In that case, he would move 1 square.

Or more succinctly, if there are any viable squares from which a character can be attacked, then the monster can find focus and will move toward that focus if it has available movement.

Refer to this flowchart:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/144945/gloomhaven-enemy-focus-and-movement-flowchart

In your example, the monster would move 1 hex closer, trying to reach the hex adjacent to you. Assuming no one else moves that round, and then the next round the monster pulls another Move 2 Attack 2, the monster would then move through its buddy into the hex next to you and attack you.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC you can play any unlocked scenario in casual mode, but you can't unlock new scenarios in casual mode

There's nothing stopping you from just playing whatever scenarios you want out of the scenario book, but you might consider holding off on that until you finish the campaign, like a "let's see what we missed out on" adventure. Part of the fun is the branching logical progression and how the world changes as you make progress, and that's going to necessitate a small number of missions getting locked out.

Unfortunately, your personal quest is kind of crummy imo; those enemies aren't very common. Some groups house-rule a "level 10" retirement, basically you can retire anytime once you have enough xp to have reached a hypothetical level 10, you could always do that if you're not able to make progress on your personal quest. I believe random dungeons are also an eligible path for finding the monsters you need

If you don't mind spoiling yourself, someone wrote up a guide for every personal quest with logical scenario routes for finishing them as fast as possible:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1932120/personal-quest-guide

Keep in mind that you can replay scenarios in casual mode and count those kills toward a personal quest. I wouldn't recommend doing that with every PQ that can be satisfied that way, but the forest imp one should definitely get completed that way after finding a scenario with forest imps. That's allowable under the rules.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Scoss posted:

You need to read the header of the scenario to know if the scenario links to Gloomhaven or other scenarios anyway, otherwise you don't know if you need a road event in the first place.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

One house rule for PQs you are stuck on or that require replaying scenarios you don't want to replay is to do a themed random dungeon. Doesn't work for all PQs but it's an option.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha we played the second scenario over lunch. My partner was like "why don't we just turn invisible and run into the main bit and kill the boss guy". I obviously said fine and then on turn two a crystal lady and furious rat Shanghai'd the dungeon boss, crippled the elite archer, stole some treasure and only then blew everything up with fire and brain bullets.

It felt sudden and violent and weird. The PCs all being really loving weird makes me happy.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

Keep in mind that you can replay scenarios in casual mode and count those kills toward a personal quest. I wouldn't recommend doing that with every PQ that can be satisfied that way, but the forest imp one should definitely get completed that way after finding a scenario with forest imps. That's allowable under the rules.

Yep, though people should note that this only works for "kill N enemies" and similar quests. If a quest is something like "complete N scenarios in [place]" those need to be N different scenarios, not the same one multiple times.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Our personal quests are helping hand and the one to get four augmentations lol. I assume these will take forever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JBP posted:

Our personal quests are helping hand and the one to get four augmentations lol. I assume these will take forever.

That second one isn't too bad, just remember that prosperity limits the number of cards that you can enhance but you can enhance the same card multiple times so long as there are open pips on it. So it's really just a matter of saving enough gold to get it done, which is a common theme for the easier retirement goals

But in a 2P group that first one is real bad. But never hesitate to house-rule; some of the personal quests are clearly designed with 4-player groups in mind and really should have their requirements adjusted if you're in a 2P group. If you just get sick of a level 9 character and you feel like you've met the spirit of the quest then just retire

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

That second one isn't too bad, just remember that prosperity limits the number of cards that you can enhance but you can enhance the same card multiple times so long as there are open pips on it. So it's really just a matter of saving enough gold to get it done, which is a common theme for the easier retirement goals

But in a 2P group that first one is real bad. But never hesitate to house-rule; some of the personal quests are clearly designed with 4-player groups in mind and really should have their requirements adjusted if you're in a 2P group. If you just get sick of a level 9 character and you feel like you've met the spirit of the quest then just retire

Yeah I think we are just going to make it tied to my goal because we will 100% be ready for new dudes by then. Plus our rat boy and orchid are fast friends who disrespect everyone. It makes sense that the spellweaver would want to see rat become some almighty abomination before they ride off into the sunset.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah the Prosperity limit is the main problem (and honestly I'm not convinced it's a great rule).

At least for Mindthief there are a lot of cheap, good enhancements you can do (+1 Move to Scurry, +1 Range to Perverse Edge and Strengthen or Bless to Empathetic Assault is 110G total).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah the Prosperity limit is the main problem (and honestly I'm not convinced it's a great rule).

At least for Mindthief there are a lot of cheap, good enhancements you can do (+1 Move to Scurry, +1 Range to Perverse Edge and Strengthen or Bless to Empathetic Assault is 110G total).

Yeah from glancing at the thing I figured getting a couple of move boosts and maybe adding the dark element to something might be cool. I want to get to level 9 so I can unleash instant kill mode.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

We completed our trial run of the Diviner and Three Spears to speed level to 4 before starting Forgotten Circles proper. I have enjoyed played the Diviner thus far in these normal scenarios.

FC Scenario 96. So trying this again with us at level 4 and playing at normal difficulty, this went surprisingly much much better! Monsters were higher level compared to our initial attempts at level 1, but this time we had a lot more tricks and items up our sleeves. This proved crucial in giving us that much needed wiggle room to strafe around the monster and absorb hits. We also split up. Three Spears killed the fire altar himself while the Diviner went for the earth one. Then coming back to the main room, Three Spears distracted monsters while the Diviner dashed to take out the last altar. I felt quite clever in using the Diviner to dump not just 1, but 2, ice demons behind the table and boulder in the corner, effectively removing them from the game. We also abused the dark portal special rules to temporarily block two earth demons. And we used summoning items as diversions. Overall, we only killed 2 monsters and looted zero coins and won on round 8.

So the scenario ultimately proved very doable, just not at level 1 I guess. But as a first taste of Forgotten Circles, I still think it does a piss poor job of introducing the Diviner and is just generally annoying. Similarly designed scenarios in Gloomhaven proper were never my favorite.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I've never played this but it sounds interesting. It seems like I can get gloomhaven through the frost haven kickstarter, would that be wise or would I be better off just getting frosthaven and waiting for that?

Also are the stickers something I'm going to want?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

I've never played this but it sounds interesting. It seems like I can get gloomhaven through the frost haven kickstarter, would that be wise or would I be better off just getting frosthaven and waiting for that?

If you have the money I recommend getting everything because Gloomhaven has 17 classes to play and if you only get Frosthaven you won't have those.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CODChimera posted:

There is SO MUCH game here. GH alone is a few hundred hours (as the thread title mentions) and Frosthaven promises to be at least as much. I think you'd be fine just getting GH for the time being, and getting FH later if it sparks your interest. FH looks quite a bit more complex, and you'd be waiting quite a while for it.

I personally could care less about the removable stickers - basically nobody resets their game state, and if I did I'd just buy a new copy - so the ones that come with the game are more than sufficient.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dwarf74 posted:

I personally could care less about the removable stickers - basically nobody resets their game state, and if I did I'd just buy a new copy - so the ones that come with the game are more than sufficient.

It's not a bad thing to have if your friends are flakey or if you think you might move. I'm playing in a group that's using them, and we're the second ones through the start (not that the guy who owns it had to backtrack too much), but his first group kinda bailed on him after a few sessions and then he moved accross the country.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It may have been a hedge against the possibility of players using casual scenarios to generate an arbitrary amount of gold. We played a lot of scenarios with a lot of characters and I didn't see very many occasions where we were pushing the Prosperity limit very hard, except maybe at the point our first characters were retiring.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

A cheap easy alternative to the stickers is to print out the enhancements on regular paper and tape them to a card sleeve. I sleeve all the cards of the current class I am playing because of how much they get fingered and man-handled over the course of their career.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
So we just got our first set of unlocks in our 2P Spellweaver / Brute game at level 5.

My friend retired his Brute and unlocked Circles(?)

It was the Summoner, and after taking a look at the Summoner's kit we were both a bit disappointed. I honestly couldn't tell whether it seemed good or not, or if it would be poorly suited to pair with another squishy caster, but it seemed very fiddly and my friend opted to just create a new Cragheart instead, until we can unlock some more options.

I'm a few missions from retiring and opening up Triforce, and we're at 7 rep so Sun is close too. I don't have much of an idea of what those two classes will be but hopefully between all those choices we'll be able to keep an effective duo going.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Scoss posted:

So we just got our first set of unlocks in our 2P Spellweaver / Brute game at level 5.

My friend retired his Brute and unlocked Circles(?)

It was the Summoner, and after taking a look at the Summoner's kit we were both a bit disappointed. I honestly couldn't tell whether it seemed good or not, or if it would be poorly suited to pair with another squishy caster, but it seemed very fiddly and my friend opted to just create a new Cragheart instead, until we can unlock some more options.

I'm a few missions from retiring and opening up Triforce, and we're at 7 rep so Sun is close too. I don't have much of an idea of what those two classes will be but hopefully between all those choices we'll be able to keep an effective duo going.

Circles is actually one of the strongest characters in the game in a 2P party. Summons don't scale with the party size, so fewer enemies means the summons last longer and concentrate their attacks more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We both have a day off today so we are looking forward to bashing out 3-4 scenarios :)

We modified the help two players retire thing to just be help me do my thing and also assigned donating money to the shrine to my partner so she's got an active goal that isn't just letting me Hoover up money to get bonuses.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For 2P Isaac said you should feel free to double Envelope B progress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For 2P Isaac said you should feel free to double Envelope B progress.

Nice! It doesn't seem like a massive load of cash required but we are also going to want to buy items and poo poo because we are both magpies. I got the advantage goggles and I can't wait to pop them on the glorious fearsome blade into perverse edge "I can only do this trick once" turn.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Nice! It doesn't seem like a massive load of cash required but we are also going to want to buy items and poo poo because we are both magpies. I got the advantage goggles and I can't wait to pop them on the glorious fearsome blade into perverse edge "I can only do this trick once" turn.

The goggles only work for one of those attacks, not both.

Still good though. Probably best used with a Frigid Apparition.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zurai posted:

Circles is actually one of the strongest characters in the game in a 2P party. Summons don't scale with the party size, so fewer enemies means the summons last longer and concentrate their attacks more.

Also, at least at higher levels, circles is solidly powerful. After expecting it to be the worst I was pleasantly surprised with how ours worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

The goggles only work for one of those attacks, not both.

Still good though. Probably best used with a Frigid Apparition.

Yeah that's fine I'd use them on the second once the poison is applied so I get the good damage, plus poison, plus advantage plus the extra damage for a debuff and bring some pain.