Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have a favorite app for making timelapses on Mac from photos? I just tried out GlueMotion but it crashes every other time on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Someone doublecheck me here? I was watching a few youtubes about these Continuous LED Light tubes:

https://nanliteus.com/collections/light-panels/products/nanlite-pavotube-30c-4-ft-rgbw-led-tube-with-internal-battery-4-light-kit

and they looked kind of fun... Now looking at the page there it states that:

"the 4 tubes in this kit produce 2369Lux @ 1m 5600K when combined"

Googling a bit more and this table states

http://www.ndavidking.com/Tech%20Articles/EV%20to%20Lux%20conversion%20tables.pdf

2369Lux is a little less than 10EV, and the bottom chart reads off that for 10EV to shoot at 100ISO you will get 1/15sec at F8 (or a more useable 1/125sec/F8 at ISO800)

That doesn't seem like a lot of light for four big tubes at only 1meter from the subject, is continuous really that underpowered compared to what a strobe can put out?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That doesn't seem like a lot of light for four big tubes at only 1meter from the subject, is continuous really that underpowered compared to what a strobe can put out?

Yes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
To elaborate on Torgeaux's 100% correct answer, a strobe pumps out all of its light in a tiny fraction of second - when expressed in equivalent terms to shutter speed, something faster than 1/10000, or faster than most cameras can open and close a shutter. Imagine that 2369LUX compressed into a fraction of a second - effectively, multiply that by 10000. Going the other direction, take the however-much light a typical strobe flashes, and divide the light out to spread it over a full second. It would be a barely visible glow.

There's a good reason studio lights for video work are so big and hot and expensive. To get light equivalent to an overcast, cloudy day you need to pump shitloads of electricity through your giant-rear end lights.

EDIT: also, that 1/125 F/8 ISO 800 result is based on that light array being the only light involved - otherwise complete darkness. That much boost on top of, say, typical indoor lighting at night in a typical house (e.g. taking pictures of your kids doing something silly just before bedtime) might get you some quite reasonable camera settings.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 19, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

To elaborate on Torgeaux's 100% correct answer, a strobe pumps out all of its light in a tiny fraction of second - when expressed in equivalent terms to shutter speed, something faster than 1/10000, or faster than most cameras can open and close a shutter. Imagine that 2369LUX compressed into a fraction of a second - effectively, multiply that by 10000. Going the other direction, take the however-much light a typical strobe flashes, and divide the light out to spread it over a full second. It would be a barely visible glow.

There's a good reason studio lights for video work are so big and hot and expensive. To get light equivalent to an overcast, cloudy day you need to pump shitloads of electricity through your giant-rear end lights.

EDIT: also, that 1/125 F/8 ISO 800 result is based on that light array being the only light involved - otherwise complete darkness. That much boost on top of, say, typical indoor lighting at night in a typical house (e.g. taking pictures of your kids doing something silly just before bedtime) might get you some quite reasonable camera settings.

Yeah, the "additional light" piece is important. They will bring a room light up to useable levels. Christmas morning pictures, that kind of thing they can be a real help.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

e: never mind, posted in more appropriate thread.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 21, 2020

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
When I wanted to start taking pictures/video and invested in a Canon EOS 60D (bought 2013) and a Panasonic HC-V750 (bought 2014). Fast forward to today, I have two children, a wife, and a ton of stuff I need to carry all the time. I love my 60D and definitely am not hindered by it. Same goes for the V750. However, carrying everything each time I go out is a huge pain. For example, holding my daughter pressed against my body, plus the 60D in one hand, and the camcorder in the other is a bit much. Plus, being a little older, the weight is starting to get to me. So much so, I usually opt for taking my cell phone as opposed to my equipment.

Is there anything that is smaller/lighter than a 60D that would let me take excellent photographs today? My use cases are all ranges. I bring it to the zoo, I use it to take portraits, I use it for landscapes, the beach, forests, vacations, museums, vacations, etc.

I tried researching everything myself, but there are so many options and variations, I am a little overwhelmed. Likewise, are there any better camcorders today? I am assuming technology has gotten better in 6 years, but I'm not sure. 4K doesn't matter as much to me as quality. That is to say, I rather have an excellent 1080P image rather than a 4K on paper image, if that makes any sense. For example, I have a galaxy note 10+. It takes 4K, but when you blow it up on a tv, it actually looks worse than the 1080P option. I don't want 4K for the sake of 4K. I just want quality. Lastly, I was hoping for around $1K on the camera and $500 for the camcorder. I don't know if that is realistic but I'm happy to adjust if I'm totally clueless.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

crotchgobbler posted:

When I wanted to start taking pictures/video and invested in a Canon EOS 60D (bought 2013) and a Panasonic HC-V750 (bought 2014). Fast forward to today, I have two children, a wife, and a ton of stuff I need to carry all the time. I love my 60D and definitely am not hindered by it. Same goes for the V750. However, carrying everything each time I go out is a huge pain. For example, holding my daughter pressed against my body, plus the 60D in one hand, and the camcorder in the other is a bit much. Plus, being a little older, the weight is starting to get to me. So much so, I usually opt for taking my cell phone as opposed to my equipment.

Is there anything that is smaller/lighter than a 60D that would let me take excellent photographs today? My use cases are all ranges. I bring it to the zoo, I use it to take portraits, I use it for landscapes, the beach, forests, vacations, museums, vacations, etc.

I tried researching everything myself, but there are so many options and variations, I am a little overwhelmed. Likewise, are there any better camcorders today? I am assuming technology has gotten better in 6 years, but I'm not sure. 4K doesn't matter as much to me as quality. That is to say, I rather have an excellent 1080P image rather than a 4K on paper image, if that makes any sense. For example, I have a galaxy note 10+. It takes 4K, but when you blow it up on a tv, it actually looks worse than the 1080P option. I don't want 4K for the sake of 4K. I just want quality. Lastly, I was hoping for around $1K on the camera and $500 for the camcorder. I don't know if that is realistic but I'm happy to adjust if I'm totally clueless.

The 60D is fairly light for a DSLR already honestly - you'd need a mirrorless like a Sony Alpha a6000-6600 series to get lighter. The Sony A7II is also lighter than the 60D but not by a huge amount.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I just pulled my 60D out for the first time in a while recently and it feels massive compared to my Fuji X-T20. Take a look at Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic (Lumix) mirrorless cameras.

If it’s for family stuff and you value size, you don’t need a full-frame mirrorless. That way money pits lie.

If it’s just for family stuff, options for the above brands should be able to replace both the camera and camcorder with one device. The quality of video (including 1080p and 4K for most all) is also incredible and very usable, much more so than the 60D had.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your primary goal should be to ditch the camcorder, it's gonna cut the amount of crap you have to lug immediately. I don't know what the video capabilities of the 60D are but modern prosumer cameras are good enough at video that camcorders should be obsolete.

I think the Panasonic GH5 is the golden child of video making right now and is also pretty good for stills (unless you're printing stuff wall sized). It's a pretty big market.. there's a lot of options out there. But going micro 4/3 (which describes the sensor size) will instantly save you a lot of weight because the lenses are a lot lighter.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol

harperdc posted:

If it’s just for family stuff, options for the above brands should be able to replace both the camera and camcorder with one device. The quality of video (including 1080p and 4K for most all) is also incredible and very usable, much more so than the 60D had.

xzzy posted:

Your primary goal should be to ditch the camcorder, it's gonna cut the amount of crap you have to lug immediately. I don't know what the video capabilities of the 60D are but modern prosumer cameras are good enough at video that camcorders should be obsolete.

I can get on board with m43, but can cameras let you walk around with a stabilized image and easy zooming? Is it realistic to walk around with a (for example) 55-250mm lens attached, bring it up to your face, zoom, and use AF? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I get the impression no one really does that. I get that if you keep the camera still, use a tripod, have a handheld attachment, etc, it will make things easier. But, a lot of times, I may be taking a picture of my daughter, and then I want to switch to video, as she starts to run around the park. Normally I use the camera and then whip out the handycam. The stabilization and zoom can be very useful. Am I going to lose or miss that flexibility?

Also, does anyone know if consumer reports is useful at all? The testing they do is not very informative... For example, a camera will be ranked "high" for image quality while another is "very high." Are those specific values close to each other? is a "very high" worth twice the cost compared to a "high?" They heavily weight their scores towards "ease of use," which is in itself a seemingly subjective standard. And there seems to be somewhat nonsensical results. How does a Panasonic GH4 have worse image stabilization than a G7? Don't they both rely on lens stabilization?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, no, you won't have all that but be aware you're asking for every feature in the world: a good price, focal length options, great stablization, quality stills, and light weight. Getting all that for under $1500 is an impossible ask so you're going to have to decide what features are critical and make decisions from there.

Consumer reports is garbage. Your best bet for research is here and looking up gear reviews on youtube.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah don't look at consumer reports for any of this, DPReview is probably the best resource for reviews and between everyone here you can probably ask someone with firsthand experience about any of the cameras you'd be looking at.

crotchgobbler posted:

Is it realistic to walk around with a (for example) 55-250mm lens attached, bring it up to your face, zoom, and use AF?

An Olympus 12-100 f4 is about $1k used and a used Olympus EM5ii is about $500. You'll have dual IS, a 35mm equivalent fov of 24-200mm, and it will be very light. The video will be fine and oly AF is pretty good. 16 mp is plenty, I've printed 16 mp crops up to 24"x36" with different kit and it looks good.

The 4k video is good quality too, I've edited a bunch of it from one of my coworkers who shoots on oly, but be very aware that you're not going to be able to edit for poo poo with 4k unless you have a workstation desktop made for it. 1080p is plenty and you probably don't need 4k video for any reason.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

crotchgobbler posted:

Also, does anyone know if consumer reports is useful at all?

Consumer Reports can be useful for things that are widely used (e.g. Appliances, home products, etc) but is completely useless for anything niche. If you just want "What's a good X?" for any X that you don't really care that much about they can be useful, but for anything where details matter you're better off doing your own research.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

For D60 guy there is also the option of... canon apsc mirrorless. If keeping the lenses is important. An M5 or M50 are both pretty cheap these days. The native zooms suck though; with the exception of like one or two fixed-focal-length lenses the EOS M lens lineup is dogshit. You’d be buying an adapter and using existing D60 lenses for the most part, but the camera itself will be tiny.

If you want a compact as hell zoom with considerable reach and a stabilized view in the finder then micro 4/3 is the answer, as others have noted.

I’d suggest an E-M10 mark iii with a 40-150mm and one nice lens like the 17mm. Or splurge and get the 12-100 plus a 45mm.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
Awesome advice from everyone! Thank you!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

For D60 guy there is also the option of... canon apsc mirrorless. If keeping the lenses is important. An M5 or M50 are both pretty cheap these days. The native zooms suck though; with the exception of like one or two fixed-focal-length lenses the EOS M lens lineup is dogshit. You’d be buying an adapter and using existing D60 lenses for the most part, but the camera itself will be tiny.

D60 ain’t a Canon :ninja:

The one thing to keep in mind is that mirrorless cameras are built 100% around the live view mode — even the ones with viewfinders, those are small screens instead of looking through the physical lens. That means generally “what you see is what you get” — and it’s also much, much faster to respond than the 60D in its Live View mode is.

Also helps that video modes kick rear end on the newer models too. Just a simple turn of the dial to video mode and you can shoot very easily. It’ll be different from what you’ve grown used to, but a M43 or Fuji could easily replace your current tools.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
There was a Canon D60. It predated the 10D. Definitely a weird bit of nomenclature.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

crotchgobbler posted:

I can get on board with m43, but can cameras let you walk around with a stabilized image and easy zooming? Is it realistic to walk around with a (for example) 55-250mm lens attached, bring it up to your face, zoom, and use AF?

Yeah, sometimes I crave owning a fixed lens prosumer camcorder instead of my GH5.
But with your constraints, I'd jump on the bandwagon and say that you should only carry one device.

While image stabilization has become a standard for most modern micro 4/3 cams, the autofocus is merely okay.

If you like camcorders for their smooth servo zooms, you could buy one of these four lenses:

Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens (this one lets you choose between using a proper manual zoom or the servo zoom)
Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ lens
Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 PZ lens
Panasonic 45-175mm f4.0-5.6 PZ lens

If you like camcorders for their range and can live with a lens that relies on you zooming manually:
Olympus 12-200mm f3.5-6.3.
Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 II
Olympus 14-150mm f4.0-5.6

For fixed aperture lenses your options are Panasonic's 12-35mm f2.8, the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8, the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8, or the aforementioned (heavier) Olympus 12-100mm f4.

I used to own a E-M10 II and while I love the design and the colors its jpgs, the E-M10s only have a tilting screen, lack a microphone port and don't have weather-sealed bodies (which need to be combined with a weather-sealed lens).

Consider the E-M5 III for $1000. It has a fully articulated screen, a weather-resistant body and its autofocus is supposed to be superior to the one found on the GH5.
Add a weather-sealed 14-140/150mm and the Olympus 25mm f1.8 for low-light situations and you're set.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread, but the relevant links in the OP had fallen into archives.

I've been gifted a Rebel XT and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 EF lens from a friend getting rid of old equipment.

Any recommendations or advice on starting out on a limited budget with out of date gear? Any pitfalls I should be wary of using a ~15 year old camera?

Thanks for any help!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread, but the relevant links in the OP had fallen into archives.

I've been gifted a Rebel XT and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 EF lens from a friend getting rid of old equipment.

Any recommendations or advice on starting out on a limited budget with out of date gear? Any pitfalls I should be wary of using a ~15 year old camera?

Thanks for any help!

Check the batteries, make sure they're holding a charge, take some test photos to see that exposure is on/shutter is correct. Open a lense wide open and take a.picture of a white board to check for excessive dirt on the sensor.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You'll be missing modern conveniences and running into extra annoyances, as long as you don't let it turn you off photography you can learn.

Specific to old cameras sometimes you need smaller/older compact flash cards to work with older cameras. The jpg output on old cameras isn't too great, you'll probably be happier with the results if you shoot raw and developing them yourself. A 50mm on a crop sensor is more of a portrait focal length, you'll want to go wider eventually. There is a 24mm 2.8. Or a million cheap kit lenses.

torgeaux posted:

Check the batteries, make sure they're holding a charge, take some test photos to see that exposure is on/shutter is correct. Open a lense wide open and take a.picture of a white board to check for excessive dirt on the sensor.

You need to stop the lens down (very small f number, like f/16) to check for sensor dirt. It won't appear at f/1.8

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I think the lens needs to be stopped down fully if you want to see dust on the sensor.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

theHUNGERian posted:

I think the lens needs to be stopped down fully if you want to see dust on the sensor.

Yeah, I said it backwards. F/16 or above. I know better, but me speak bad.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Battery is holding a charge well, and I have a back up one. Will need to upgrade the CF card from the 64 mb one that's in there presently so I can take more than 20 photos at a time.

Took a walk, took some shots of the dog to test it out.

Some are turning out completely washed out, some look fine or a little dark. I am guessing this is my fault, and not that of the camera.

For comparison:

Very different experience from the point and shoot that I'm used to, but in a pleasurable way.

Any good books or websites on theory so I can get better on both the composition and technical aspects?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Composition is a lifetime journey type thing and all the rules people will try to hit you with are pretty much garbage. But for the technical parts buy 'Understanding Exposure" book.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Composition is a lifetime journey type thing and all the rules people will try to hit you with are pretty much garbage. But for the technical parts buy 'Understanding Exposure" book.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

look at lots of photographs and internalize the good ones

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

"The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos" is a good read for composition, not because you have to follow the rules at all times, but because it's better to know the rules before you decide to break them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Phone posting, so apologies if I have the wrong thread. Are there any reputable sites for browsing/buying prints? Staying at home during coronavirus has my family working through home improvement projects, and one thing I’d like to do is get a big print for an empty wall space.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

harperdc posted:

D60 ain’t a Canon :ninja:

Holy poo poo :pwn:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Holy poo poo :pwn:

Ah, I see now they released a D60 in 2002. But that was the predecessor to the 10D and then Nikon named one of their entry DSLRs the D60, so its not exactly a commonly thought of Canon.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

Phone posting, so apologies if I have the wrong thread. Are there any reputable sites for browsing/buying prints? Staying at home during coronavirus has my family working through home improvement projects, and one thing I’d like to do is get a big print for an empty wall space.

Redbubble is probably the best option - as in widest selection, ease of browsing, and security. Etsy will have people selling wall art of various kinds too.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Helen Highwater posted:

Redbubble is probably the best option - as in widest selection, ease of browsing, and security. Etsy will have people selling wall art of various kinds too.

Do a little digging when you find a print you like, though, because redbubble is notorious for hosting folks who blatantly rip off designs from other people.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Just do this, lots. Black fur is one of the hardest things to take a decently-exposed picture of, so borrow your neighbour's dog if you're going to be shooting lots of dog pics while learning your camera. Or do up-close doggy portraits, and focus on nailing the focus on the eye. It's good practice, because your dog won't care but if you try to practice portraits on a person they'll inevitably want to see (probably right away, before you've had a chance to think about your settings or whatever).

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im decorating my daughters room (5, princess and unicorn crazy) and was thinking of painting a few more elaborate pictures on her wall. Im not an artist nor in possession of any kind of creativity or steady hands, so i'd have to draw from some sort of template.
Is the easiest way to do this to use a projector and project the image i want to copy to the wall, then draw the outlines?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Find someone giving away an old overhead projector and buy some cellulose acetate paper. I did this once like 18 years ago for a school mural. Otherwise just borrow a proper video projector from someone.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

harperdc posted:

Ah, I see now they released a D60 in 2002. But that was the predecessor to the 10D and then Nikon named one of their entry DSLRs the D60, so its not exactly a commonly thought of Canon.

Yeah, that was a self own on my part. I just transposed the D in my brain I guess. No one remembers the early Canon “D-SLR” series, I though he was talking about a 60D.

Edit: this also sent me down a little bit of a rabbit hole researching and browsing the output of older DSLRs. Some of the stuff from the original 5D and even the very first 6MP digital rebel hold up pretty well in the color rendition department and aren’t really noticeably deficient in detail when viewing on a basic platform like Flickr. Same with the D700 and D3 for Nikon. But it’s weird with Nikon; it seems like there was kind of a dip in the overall quality of color (when viewing a random sample of masses of images on Flickr for each camera, presumably including a lot of OOC JPEGs) with a lot of the DX and mid-2010s FX Nikon’s. I guess it was a change in sensor provider, but don’t really know. Either way it seems they’ve gotten better again in the last couple of years.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 1, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any recommendations on a NAS solution? I’d like to move away from separate external hard drives to one unit. I typically use sessions through Capture One, so speed of loading raw files wirelessly is a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Synology and Qnap are the go-to. Both can be hooked directly up to a USB wifi dongle, or you can attach it to a larger wifi router of your choice. I suggest synology but everyone has their preference. I have their DS418 but you can go smaller or larger. Some pricier models have expansion unit capability.