Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Banana bread guy again. I want to add a slight citrus taste to my banana bread. Will grapefruit juice work or will it gently caress up other parts of the baking process? And how much should I add for one loaf so that it is noticeable but not overpowering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just a bunch but I feel like zesting the peel into it might make for better results. Probably around 2-3 tsp at least.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

theHUNGERian posted:

Banana bread guy again. I want to add a slight citrus taste to my banana bread. Will grapefruit juice work or will it gently caress up other parts of the baking process? And how much should I add for one loaf so that it is noticeable but not overpowering?
Do you have grapefruit on hand? If so, I'd try using some zested grapefruit rind instead of juice if I just wanted to add a hint of grapefruit to a baked good.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

SubG posted:

Do you have grapefruit on hand? If so, I'd try using some zested grapefruit rind instead of juice if I just wanted to add a hint of grapefruit to a baked good.

Yeah, I have a grapefruit tree 5 steps away from my front door. But I also have a lemon tree ~5 steps from the grapefruit tree. I'll try zested rind. Thanks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

theHUNGERian posted:

I'd add a tbsp or so of finely grated lemon zest to start with.

Semi-related, my favorite banana nut bread recipe has crushed pineapple in it and it is subtle and delicious:

Dry:
3 c flour
2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet:
6 big bananas, mashed
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained
3 eggs
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c chopped nuts
1/2 c chopped coconut
2 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Beat eggs, add mashed banana and remaining wet ingredients. Add in dry ingredients and mix well.

Put in 2 greased loaf pans, filling 3/4 way to top.

Bake at 350 F for 1 hr and 15 minutes, variable.

Makes 2 loaves.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd add a tbsp or so of finely grated lemon zest to start with.

Semi-related, my favorite banana nut bread recipe has crushed pineapple in it and it is subtle and delicious:

Dry:
3 c flour
2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet:
6 big bananas, mashed
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained
3 eggs
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c chopped nuts
1/2 c chopped coconut
2 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Beat eggs, add mashed banana and remaining wet ingredients. Add in dry ingredients and mix well.

Put in 2 greased loaf pans, filling 3/4 way to top.

Bake at 350 F for 1 hr and 15 minutes, variable.

Makes 2 loaves.

Thanks. I'll be sure to add pineapple in a future iteration. It sounds amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've been digging out of a 25lb bag of AP hotel and restaurant flour and it's been just fine. I feel like I'm cosplaying a baker though.

Don't worry, if you're just using one bag, you're nowhere near it.

When you get to 55 gallon rolling tupperware full, then you're in baker cosplay zone. :D

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't worry, if you're just using one bag, you're nowhere near it.

When you get to 55 gallon rolling tupperware full, then you're in baker cosplay zone. :D

I feel personally attacked

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can anyone recommend a decent vegetarian meatball recipe? Not necessarily vegan, just no meat products. I'm looking specifically for larger meatballs to go with pasta.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent vegetarian meatball recipe? Not necessarily vegan, just no meat products. I'm looking specifically for larger meatballs to go with pasta.

Just spitballing here, but I use this carne de soya stuff as a meat substitute.

I do just rehydrate it and use it as ground meat, but maybe you can mix it with eggs and breadcrumbs to make it stick together into balls.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made some tofu crumbles recently for tacos that were a shockingly good ground beef analogue. Crumbled tofu, soy sauce, oil and spices, browned and dried in the oven. The recipe I used has you heat it up with salsa after that and drat if it doesn't taste like crappy taco meat, but in the best way. As long as you don't dry them out too much you could probably use that with the right binders to make meat balls.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Keep a little jar in the fridge and fill it up from the freezer when empty.
Vaccuum seal it in between if you have the option but that doesn't really matter much.

A packet of yeast is 1/4 oz if you're using a recipe that measures the yeast amount in packets.

Yeah, they've got that printed on the package, and I have a decent digital kitchen scale. I was more concerned about storage.

SubG posted:

Assuming it's instant and not dry active, yeah. Get a mason jar or something, put the yeast in it, keep it in the freezer. You can use instant yeast straight from the freezer (assuming you're hitting your target dough temperature). Yeast will keep in the freezer more or less indefinitely. As in this is a good idea all the time, not just when you're doing your apocalypse baking with food service-sized packages of yeast.

Awesome, thanks. I have plenty of mason jars. I think I'll start by splitting it into a few smaller jars.

That will make it easier to share.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made some tofu crumbles recently for tacos that were a shockingly good ground beef analogue. Crumbled tofu, soy sauce, oil and spices, browned and dried in the oven. The recipe I used has you heat it up with salsa after that and drat if it doesn't taste like crappy taco meat, but in the best way. As long as you don't dry them out too much you could probably use that with the right binders to make meat balls.

You can make super yummy "ground beef" from tofu/tofu crumbles, but it requires some effort. TVP is just hot water and some seasoning, boom done.

It might be Stockholm syndrome from having lived with a vegetarian, but I really like TVP.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’m going to be making some Mexican rice, but using jasmine rice. Anything I should alter with that sub? Drop the moisture down a little?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For anyone working with texturized vegetable protein, be aware that they love to soak the hell up out of anything liquid, so be ready to adjust your recipe on the fly depending on how much they suck up out of your sauces

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Manager Hoyden posted:

What are your feelings on Beyond/Impossible meat? You can treat that pretty much exactly like real raw beef. You could also try googling "Seitan Meatballs". Seitan has a nice chewy texture that I think would translate well to meatballs. This one looks pretty good https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-italian-seitan-meatballs/.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fried tvp is better than most fried beef

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wow your guys' palates must've been ruined by all the tvp in processed food. How is tvp better than quality fresh ground beef? :psyduck:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

spankmeister posted:

Wow your guys' palates must've been ruined by all the tvp in processed food. How is tvp better than quality fresh ground beef? :psyduck:

I guess one metric you could measure it by would be that it doesn’t come from a dead animal, which for a vegetarian would definitely make it ‘better’.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Also a lot of us are probably not getting the best freshest beef.

One thing I do like about flyover-land is easy access to quality beef. The ranchers all compete with each other and I am the winner.

That said, TVP can be absolutely delicious and in some cases quite preferable to beef. (I like it in sloppy Joes especially.)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tvp also has the twin advantages of being inexpensive and shelf-stable

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is this the right thread (or forum) for consumer mini fridge/beverage center/wine cooler advice? I'm trying to help my parents pick one out, and I'm having trouble finding good information on the rest of the "net."

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m interested as well.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
TVP is what they served us in prison for at least 15/21 meals in a week.

Just seeing that bag gives me PTSD.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

My sources tell me Emart sells sour cream reliably. If Busan is your local big city there is also a legit as hell Mexican restaurant in Masan, if you're out in that direction. When I lived in Ulsan we had like a rotation among my friends and whoever went to Costco got a big package to split among everybody.

Yeah, I was able to find it there. But we also found out about EMart Traders, which is EMart's response to Costco (it's even next to the Costco), but you don't need a membership. We got like 6 different kinds of cheeses.

re:Mexican place: We live North of Busan, not West, but if we ever head out that way, I might check it out, thanks! The one in Seoul is not bad. And they have horchata!

I was finally able to successfully make my blintzes:

Here's one plated with the traditional Jewish sides of bacon and sausage:

All-in-all, a very successful breakfast!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Can I throw frozen soybeans straight into the pan when making fried rice like I do with frozen peas? Or do I need to boil them in water first separately?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

[...]

3 eggs
If I were to halve this recipe, should I use 1 egg or 2? Or 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any favorite canned salmon recipes? Salmon cakes seem to be the only thing worth using it for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's good as an onigiri filling or on ochazuke.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rabbit Hill posted:

If I were to halve this recipe, should I use 1 egg or 2? Or 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk?

1 hen’s egg, two quail’s eggs

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 23, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rabbit Hill posted:

With baking, as close as possible to the math answer. In this case I'd whisk three eggs, measure out half for the recipe, then refrigerate the remainder for breakfast tomorrow.

Banana bread is more forgivable than most though if you want a simpler method

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm sure I've made it with 1 egg or 2 or 1.5 when I've halved it. I can't remember which I thought worked better, but I don't remember any disasters either. I would say more egg is safer than less? It's pretty moist from all the oil, so I think it's okay with 1 egg too?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is this the right thread (or forum) for consumer mini fridge/beverage center/wine cooler advice? I'm trying to help my parents pick one out, and I'm having trouble finding good information on the rest of the "net."

i'm not an expert but since no one else has answered: consumer reports says this https://www.homedepot.com/p/VINOTEM...Uki2CYXNz01hSo0 is the best wine chiller that's currently available. none of the models they tested received particularly high scores though

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It's good as an onigiri filling or on ochazuke.

Or since forming onigiri takes work. Prep some spicy tuna filling and then just top a bowl of rice with it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

What's a decent seasoning/easy prep method for chicken breast tenders? I'm cleaning out the freezer and these are up. They're super thin so I was just gonna do em in the pan, but for some reason my chicken is always bland when I pan sear it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Probably a marinade of some kind with some fat in it to help keep them from drying out?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Hawkperson posted:

What's a decent seasoning/easy prep method for chicken breast tenders? I'm cleaning out the freezer and these are up. They're super thin so I was just gonna do em in the pan, but for some reason my chicken is always bland when I pan sear it.

Too much trouble to brine them? That would ensure they are seasoned all the way through and would let you roast them and have them still come out juicy

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Make a stir fry.
Cut them into chunks, marinade for about 10 mins with soy/shaoxing/oyster sauce/ fish sauce, take your pick of at least 3 or all of them, (the marinade only needs to be about 2 tbsp worth just so it coats the meat) chop up some aromats, take your pick from garlic ginger chilli or all 3 and some veg.
Fry the chicken to brown it, take it out then fry the aromats for a minute then add the veg. When the veg has softened put the chicken back in and add a bit more of the sauces you used to marinade (again just a couple of tbsps all together just to coat everything ) stir fry for 2 or 3 minutes until the chicken is done. Eat with rice.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably a marinade of some kind with some fat in it to help keep them from drying out?
Or something like oyakodon for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hello!

I got a large pork belly from a local butcher, and it has visible black stubble still attached (say 3mm long). Is there a good way to remove those other than individually plucking them? I don't think I have the patience for that, but I think my family will find the stubble to be offputting. I'm planning porchetta so I'd really prefer to have the skin still on, but life will go on if it's not.