Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Subjunctive posted:

Hello!

I got a large pork belly from a local butcher, and it has visible black stubble still attached (say 3mm long). Is there a good way to remove those other than individually plucking them? I don't think I have the patience for that, but I think my family will find the stubble to be offputting. I'm planning porchetta so I'd really prefer to have the skin still on, but life will go on if it's not.

Use a blowtorch to burn it all off (hold it with a hook or tongs or something). When it's all charred, scrub the pork under water with steel wool or something until you get off just about all the black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Gonna be making some cookies with white chocolate and cranberries. Most recipes call for dried but I have frozen to use up. Will this be an acceptable substitute and should they be defrosted before adding to the dough?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Spalec posted:

Gonna be making some cookies with white chocolate and cranberries. Most recipes call for dried but I have frozen to use up. Will this be an acceptable substitute and should they be defrosted before adding to the dough?

Phone posting.

Not a good idea imo. Frozen will put off a ton of moisture and you’ll get raw gooey spots all over. By the time the cranberries are cooked enough to eat,, the cookie is gonna be way over.

You’re better off doing a bread with them like cranberry orange loaf.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think using the frozen ones would be a mistake for two reasons. Firstly is that dried cranberries are typically also sweetened, and frozen cranberries are generally "raw." Your looking at something that would be mouth puckeringly tart. The second is that the amount of water in a frozen cranberry could easily turn your cookie into a mushy mess.

If you're looking for something to do with the frozen cranberries, I'd look more toward muffins, since the moisture issue will be much less of a problem.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Could you take the frozen berries and put them on a sheet pan/narrow rack in a low oven for a few hours, maybe toss with some sugar first? I've never tried it but if someone had a gun to my head to make cookies that's probably the direction I would go.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Muffins look like they'd work better with frozen cranberries, thanks guys :)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Spalec posted:

I can't remember the name, but there's a style of cookies that have a depression in the middle which gets filled with jelly or something similar.

You could make your frozen cranberries into something like that on the stovetop and, if doesn't pan out, you just have oddly shaped cookies or an opportunity to fill them with something else.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

poeticoddity posted:

I can't remember the name, but there's a style of cookies that have a depression in the middle which gets filled with jelly or something similar.

You could make your frozen cranberries into something like that on the stovetop and, if doesn't pan out, you just have oddly shaped cookies or an opportunity to fill them with something else.
Call those Thumbdrop cookies here. I should make some! So delicious and gooey.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Use a blowtorch to burn it all off (hold it with a hook or tongs or something). When it's all charred, scrub the pork under water with steel wool or something until you get off just about all the black.

Hmm. I have a small torch with a Searzall attached, so I could use that. Not sure where I’ll be able to submerge it, but I guess I can fit much of it in the sink and I can just mop after.

Thanks for the advice!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Identify a fish for me

quote:

We ordered 6lb of Wild Golden Pompano... but instead was given this.. my mom and I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what fish this is. Anyone have any idea what they are so we can figure out how to cook it? >__<

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Looks like a Jack to me

Edit: A quick google suggests it’s a Crevalle or Common Jack

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 24, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Looks like it's just another variety of pompano, like a Paloma maybe. Either way they're tasty fried!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

Looks like a Jack to me

Yeah, my guess would be blue runner, which is a kind of jack. Crevalle have a head that's more square, less pointy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Scientastic posted:

Looks like a Jack to me

I'm gonna second this guess; the Wild Golden (or Florida) pompano has a much "deeper" body and I don't see any with those black spots on the gill covers. That super skinny caudal peduncle (the bit between the body and the tail-fin) is a tell, too.

Source: not a fishmonger, but I'm a big old fish nerd, so I love a ID'ing and learning about them. Nice looking fish, though!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 24, 2020

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DasNeonLicht posted:

Too much trouble to brine them? That would ensure they are seasoned all the way through and would let you roast them and have them still come out juicy

For some reason I had it in my head that you could only brine whole chickens? Anyway I've never actually tried brining things so it seemed like it was time. Kitchn article suggested that the best brine is 1/4 cup kosher salt, 4 cups warm water, and then whatever whole spices I might have, so the tenders are sitting in some rosemary, black peppercorns, and mustard seeds because why not.

edit: Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Oyakodon googling led me to a recipe for katsu chicken that I might try next

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Hawkperson posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that you could only brine whole chickens? Anyway I've never actually tried brining things so it seemed like it was time. Kitchn article suggested that the best brine is 1/4 cup kosher salt, 4 cups warm water, and then whatever whole spices I might have, so the tenders are sitting in some rosemary, black peppercorns, and mustard seeds because why not.

edit: Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Oyakodon googling led me to a recipe for katsu chicken that I might try next

If you want to go the distance, to fully season your brine, I would simmer your desired seasonings along with the salt (and sugar if you choose) in water for a few minutes to fully extract the flavor of the herbs and spices and then pour the solution over ice to cool it down before submerging your chicken in it.

Also, I'm not sure what the Kitchn article recommended, but I think good food-safe practice if you're just doing a salt and sugar brine (two tbsp. of sugar for every 1/4 cup salt) would be to use tap-cold water and stick the meat and brine in the fridge while it's doing its thing.

Brining is such a quick and easy (imo) way to season lean meat that has a reputation for being tough, bland, and dry like chicken breasts and pork chops and make it more resilient to grilling, searing, and roasting by raising its water content and relaxing its proteins.

Hope the chicken turned out well

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DasNeonLicht posted:

If you want to go the distance, to fully season your brine, I would simmer your desired seasonings along with the salt (and sugar if you choose) in water for a few minutes to fully extract the flavor of the herbs and spices and then pour the solution over ice to cool it down before submerging your chicken in it.

Also, I'm not sure what the Kitchn article recommended, but I think good food-safe practice if you're just doing a salt and sugar brine (two tbsp. of sugar for every 1/4 cup salt) would be to use tap-cold water and stick the meat and brine in the fridge while it's doing its thing.

Brining is such a quick and easy (imo) way to season lean meat that has a reputation for being tough, bland, and dry like chicken breasts and pork chops and make it more resilient to grilling, searing, and roasting by raising its water content and relaxing its proteins.

Hope the chicken turned out well

It did! And man I got a whole pan fond thing going but I've apparently forgotten how to make a pan sauce and burned the gently caress out of it throwing a bit of vinegar in there lol. It was still medium-salvageable so I sauteed some chard in there and now I'm munching down quite happily. Couple of pieces I still didn't get a good sear on (I'm too impatient for this cooking thing, I never wait for the pan to get hot enough) so I'm going to dice them up and add them to a beet salad I was making anyway.

Kitchn article recommended using warm water so I did it on the counter, but only for about an hour in sliiiiightly warm water so I think I'm ok safety-wise. It also said brining for more than two hours wouldn't be good, is that incorrect?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
The more you leave meat to brine, the looser it will get, and you can definitely overdo it, but my experience has been you can brine something up to eight hours in the fridge and it will turn out fine

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Spalec posted:

Muffins look like they'd work better with frozen cranberries, thanks guys :)

Frozen cranberries work fine in muffins straight. My fave was frozen cranberries, cinnamon, and a little orange oil.

Used it as the muffin of the day from the time the snow started through christmas.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dry brine crew checking in

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Dry brine crew checking in

You mean salting?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean people do call it dry brining to distinguish that you leave it for 1-8 hours, not just that you're seasoning before cooking

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a cheap, manual Crock Pot. I'm moving and thinking of replacing it with something like an Instant Pot, just for the flexibility/automation of cooking a few different things (not rice) .

I'm looking for something in the 6qt range. Any ideas? Or is it a waste of money to 'upgrade'?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
an instant pot is a better tool imo but my understanding is that the slow cooker function on them is generally not as good as a dedicated slow cooker. if i had to pick one over the other IP wins easily but i decided to keep my old slow cooker after getting an IP, even though i havent used it in years.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Dumb question...

I'm making a basic risotto as a side, something I've made dozens of times before. Except, I don't have a white onion (just a red). It's not worth it to go out just for this right now, but would the risotto taste bad if I omitted the onion?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Onion powder could also suffice

I honestly can't differentiate between a white and a red onion if I'm not looking at them though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Slow sauteethe minced red onion separate in butter, top the risotto with it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My local farm is selling duck eggs. A quick googling says that duck eggs are generally larger and richer-tasting than chicken eggs, but might not work in baked goods designed for chicken eggs. Anything else should I know? Worth trying?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Duck eggs are good. I never tried to use them in baking, just ate them as eggs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
eat the duck eggs smashmouth

They are delicious and rich. Cook them over easy and hit them with some vinegar hot sauce, you'll thank me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a cheap, manual Crock Pot. I'm moving and thinking of replacing it with something like an Instant Pot, just for the flexibility/automation of cooking a few different things (not rice) .

I'm looking for something in the 6qt range. Any ideas? Or is it a waste of money to 'upgrade'?

When my current crockpot fails finally, I'm getting an instant pot

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson posted:

My local farm is selling duck eggs. A quick googling says that duck eggs are generally larger and richer-tasting than chicken eggs, but might not work in baked goods designed for chicken eggs. Anything else should I know? Worth trying?

Saying duck eggs "won't work in baked goods" is a filthy lie.

Duck eggs are the BEST baking egg I've ever used, period. Cakes, cookies, souffles, etc. I miss not having ducks anymore just because they're tough to come by relative to chicken eggs.

A chocolate cake made with duck eggs is the most delightful thing known to man.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When my current crockpot fails finally, I'm getting an instant pot

One of us. One of us. ONE OF US

The joke being that a crock pot will never die, it's just a heating element and some ceramic. Archeologists a thousand years from now will be pulling working harvest yellow ones from the nuculear paved landfil that will be the record of our existance.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
CAn I sub active dry yeast for instant yeast in Ken Forkish's Overnight white bread?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Weltlich posted:

Saying duck eggs "won't work in baked goods" is a filthy lie.

Duck eggs are the BEST baking egg I've ever used, period. Cakes, cookies, souffles, etc. I miss not having ducks anymore just because they're tough to come by relative to chicken eggs.

A chocolate cake made with duck eggs is the most delightful thing known to man.

Sweet. I'm gonna do it then. Should I change the amount since they're apparently bigger?

Thanks all, I'm excited to eat delicious duck eggs

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, it's not that they don't work like they have different chemical properties, it's just they're bigger so baking recipes may be thrown off.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson posted:

Sweet. I'm gonna do it then. Should I change the amount since they're apparently bigger?

Thanks all, I'm excited to eat delicious duck eggs

The average duck egg isn't much larger. If it's a multi-egg recipe, maybe use 5 duck eggs for every 6 chicken eggs.

edit: I always just do 1 for 1, and have never had any issues.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
The Crock-Pot setting on my 6qt Instant Pot is not the equal of my Crock-Pot. For one, you can't put a roast in there with minimal liquid, or none. It will read BURN and beep angrily. (I like to cook beef, onions, paprika together, no added liquid, super tasty!). Even with liquids, it doesn't seem to distribute the heat as well and you get hotspots, and I end up scrubbing way more. I love it for rice, frozen meats, yogurt, oatmeal, but the Crock-Pot stays!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, it's not that they don't work like they have different chemical properties, it's just they're bigger so baking recipes may be thrown off.

Only scrubs don't weigh their eggs anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

barkbell posted:

CAn I sub active dry yeast for instant yeast in Ken Forkish's Overnight white bread?

Same thing. Use the same.