Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
although even if that's the case this has been a problem for a while and i havent addressed it and that hsould have been the first thing to address so you're completely right and i need to address it now, better late than never. i'm not sure i can do anything about it right this second since all the gyms are closed anyway but once they reopen i'll see what i can do about it. at least i'm not paying for it right now, that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Do you have an emergency fund? This is step 1.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I did, then I had a bunch of emergencies which wiped that all out. Probably shouldn’t refer to that as “wiggle room” but that’s what I was talking about

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It sounds like your emergency fund worked as intended, but I am curious what you've defined as emergencies. I have noticed that people with budgeting problems tend to have... expansive definitions of emergencies. Also, tell me about how your expenses increased.

step 1: figure out where the money is going
step 2: cancel that personal trainer, even if you have to pay money to get out of it, as long as that money is less than the total cost of the contract. it's covid time, there are no rules, and you don't want to be going and spending time with a trainer anyway

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
kyoon griffey has a good question, what were your emergencies, ,(and I'd ask how come it all happened at once but that's just me being nosy.)
I've in the past had emergencies that were, basically, stuff I should have budgeted for, before spending everything else I had on non essential (like a personal trainer). If your budget is incomplete like mine was it is just setting up problems down the road.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

drat Bananas posted:

I took my March monthly data from Mint and put it into my Google sheet that I use to track income and expenses. I noticed we spent less in March than we have any other month since June 2017! And before that, only Sept/Oct 2016. And we only started social distancing around the half-month mark. I'm very curious to see how April goes and if we can hit a "high score."

$1000 in emergency vet bills later, whoops I jinxed myself. Stupid dog. Love him.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This may have been covered elsewhere. Feel free to just link an article or something in response. But: Why hasn't the market crashed? Are we still waiting for the other shoe to drop? Surely when q2 results come out it'll look terrible and everyone will panic. But doesn't the market take everything into account? How is it still so high? I really don't get it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

redreader posted:

This may have been covered elsewhere. Feel free to just link an article or something in response. But: Why hasn't the market crashed? Are we still waiting for the other shoe to drop? Surely when q2 results come out it'll look terrible and everyone will panic. But doesn't the market take everything into account? How is it still so high? I really don't get it.
In short: there's nothing else to put money into that's worth as much as stocks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Personal finance alert :frogsiren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/g5hvm5/annualcreditreportcom_is_now_offering_free_weekly/

Check your credit, all 3 services for free, as much as weekly!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

pmchem posted:

Personal finance alert :frogsiren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/g5hvm5/annualcreditreportcom_is_now_offering_free_weekly/

Check your credit, all 3 services for free, as much as weekly!
Holy poo poo this is nice.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
What does this offer over say Creditkarma?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

drainpipe posted:

Phrased better: what does CreditKarma offer over AnnualCreditReport.com?

Because one service is giving you this information directly from the agencies, the other is holding on to a copy for marketing/data mining purposes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

redreader posted:

It did crash. In February it dropped the most it has ever dropped in one day. By mid March it had erased all the gains since Jan 2017. As it stands today it’s at the same level it was in Jan 2018 or Feb 2019. This is with unprecedented levels of stimulus and low interest rates by the Fed trying to prop up the economy to weather the worst of the storm.

Stock prices are partially a function of the economic outlook but they are largely a function of interest rates. As a hoodwinker said, stocks are the best of many bad options for where to put your money right now. Bear markets are weird. People say stocks are looking ahead but often in these conditions they are lagging indicators. We call 2008 the 2008 financial crisis even though it started in 2007 and the DOW’s lowest point was March 2009.

This video about past bear markets and recoveries gives you a flavor of how different things can be every time and how long the weirdness can go on.

https://youtu.be/Jh9Gn58r9Fw

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drainpipe posted:

CreditKarma has emailed me withing SECONDS of a hard pull happening, which I don't believe you'll get from that site.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AnnualCreditReport.com is not a credit monitoring service. It's just a site that will let you pull your credit report directly from the three credit reporting bureaus. Credit Karma only pulls data from two of them (TransUnion and Equifax). It's good practice to pull your credit report from each agency at least once a year just to make sure they are all consistent. You'll also be able to see additional info that Credit Karma wont tell you, like what addresses and contact info is on file for you, dates accounts were opened and closed, soft inquiries, comments on accounts, etc. If you find anything that is incorrect it could be a mistake, or it could be a sign of identity theft. Either way you'll want to get it corrected ASAP.

Edit: I use Credit Karma too (along with another paid service, thanks to the OPM!) and appreciate the alerts, but I don't consider it a substitute for checking my full credit report(s) regularly.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Notifications are not enough to keep yourself from financial ruin, you must also regularly check these lovely services you have no way to opt out of.

Don't forget about the secret telecom consumer credit service either, they are really good at loving poor people who don't understand abusive contracts. You need to check that as well as FICO.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How does your credit score result in financial ruin again?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Both Transunion and Experian tell me I have to call them up to get my credit report and they said that last year too and I just skipped it because it seemed super annoying but I probably shouldn't let it go this time...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

How does your credit score result in financial ruin again?

Litigation while you're tied up in identity theft.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Happiness Commando posted:

Both Transunion and Experian tell me I have to call them up to get my credit report and they said that last year too and I just skipped it because it seemed super annoying but I probably shouldn't let it go this time...

Yea I have to mail them poo poo I guess, probably because I was an authorized user on an account of my Dad's and he died last year so I'm sure its causing them to lose their poo poo.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

spwrozek posted:

My general spending is down, my eating out is up though. We are on one income but can afford to support our favorite local spots. We agreed to 2 dinners, 1 lunch, and 2 breakfasts a week. So it is kind of strange but feel good about it.

Here in Singapore, eating out is actually cheaper than home cooking as long as one sticks to low-cost fare. Guess that's one of those advantages of having a super high population density.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Woof. Just finished writing $4000 worth of checks for my appendectomy back in March.

But hey, I was able to transfer all that money from my HSA and am thus wholly unconcerned :toot:

It feels really good. I would not have been able to do this even three years ago.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
While I'm eating a lot of shite food, it's Tesco shite food and therefore cheaper than takeaway. Closing KFC McDonald and my local Chinese has been a very good thing for my Wallet

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Considering starting a nonprofit or NGO thread here in BFC since it's not quite corporate work but not quite not corporate work generally. Does something like that already exist, though?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I couldn’t really find a fitting thread for an online banking question since I don’t really frequent this subforum, so feel free to redirect me if you know a better thread

I’m trying to deposit some checks online and my bank’s website has a pdf that says write one set of things on the back, and the app says to write a different set of things. I called customer service twice and got two different answers (follow the app, follow the pdf). Also some checks have a checkbox for mobile deposit (neither CSR could give me an answer on whether or not to use that). I know this is bank-specific, so I guess how do I get a solid answer out of my bank? Do I not bother and try depositing one check with each set of instructions and see which gets accepted and which gets rejected? And why are the backs of checks all different?? I just want my money 😭

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jazz Marimba posted:

I couldn’t really find a fitting thread for an online banking question since I don’t really frequent this subforum, so feel free to redirect me if you know a better thread

I’m trying to deposit some checks online and my bank’s website has a pdf that says write one set of things on the back, and the app says to write a different set of things. I called customer service twice and got two different answers (follow the app, follow the pdf). Also some checks have a checkbox for mobile deposit (neither CSR could give me an answer on whether or not to use that). I know this is bank-specific, so I guess how do I get a solid answer out of my bank? Do I not bother and try depositing one check with each set of instructions and see which gets accepted and which gets rejected? And why are the backs of checks all different?? I just want my money 😭

I have never followed chase or Ally's directions. Just sign. Put for deposit only and scanned it in. Never had a problem.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

App errors.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 10, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So many app errors

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 10, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

App errors.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 10, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^ lol

Yeah I've always just signed and scanned, never filled out the memo field either.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sirotan posted:

^^^ lol

Yeah I've always just signed and scanned, never filled out the memo field either.

I was fired up! It just never went past the posting spinning wheel and then there was 4!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’ve just signed and scanned before and it got rejected, so I just kept going to the branch that‘s a 5sec detour home from work to deposit them since it’s faster and I get the money immediately insteada waiting a couple days, but that’s not an option rn. it’s a local credit union if that matters?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

I’ve just signed and scanned before and it got rejected, so I just kept going to the branch that‘s a 5sec detour home from work to deposit them since it’s faster and I get the money immediately insteada waiting a couple days, but that’s not an option rn. it’s a local credit union if that matters?

Call and ask explicitly why that check was rejected then open an ally banking checking account and just use that. I have always just scrawled on the back and deposited it. I don't write words or check boxes or anything. The only time I've had to write words were depositing checks for my minor child. I had one rejected because I scrawled something slightly wrong when depositing a check for my wife. This is across Citi, Ally, Capital One 360, and Fidelity.

Don't play games with them. Say you followed the onscreen directions and if they're wrong they need to fix their app. Don't look at a PDF just insist you will follow the on screen directions at the time of deposit because those are obviously the most up to date.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My credit union is super annoying about this. I always have to write "For mobile deposit only" on the back of my check. At least they were super responsive when it first happened and told me within 30 minutes of trying to deposit a check for the first time that way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My credit union is super annoying about this. I always have to write "For mobile deposit only" on the back of my check. At least they were super responsive when it first happened and told me within 30 minutes of trying to deposit a check for the first time that way.

If they are consistent and it says right on the upload check image screen you need this, fine. Otherwise they can eat the support hours.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Doc Fission posted:

Considering starting a nonprofit or NGO thread here in BFC since it's not quite corporate work but not quite not corporate work generally. Does something like that already exist, though?

I have no idea myself, but I'd be interested in a thread like that whenever/wherever it shows up.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

update: following the instructions on the pdf with the multiple things having to be written got the check accepted, but with a long delay. following the steps in the app (“mobile deposit only” and nothing else) had a short delay. thanks y’all

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wow. Ally dropping interest by 1/4 point.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wow. Ally dropping interest by 1/4 point.

Rates are basically 0% so not a surprise at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Marcus is at 1.55% right now, we’ll see how long Goldman’s largesse lasts.