Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Save the effort and skip one arm and the head imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use a toothpick, it makes tiny fiddly stickers much easier to apply.
the xacto knife method works much better than toothpicks since it can get the sticker off and attached to the tip from the get-go, and fits into crevices better. I managed to get all the stickers without any of them getting mangled in but it took some extremely careful doing, since you have to precisely slot them into a crevice, half of which are angled.

Bill Posters posted:

For real. Just jam some enamel paint in there and clean up with lighter fluid and some cotton swabs. It's going to be a million times easier and look far better than applying those stickers.
I don't paint anything anymore for...reasons. so it's stickers or nothing, really.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I just used an enamel wash paint for mg heavyarms custom for the blue/green lines on the shoulders and the skirt armor, but man bandai cheaped out on this, considering the lines in the chest are a separate piece.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And that is the weapons and accessories for the Nu Gundam RG done. Suddenly glad I did not go for the double fin funnel set (So many undergates...). Going to hold off on decals because gently caress That. Well, maybe the major ones at least. Eventually.

All in all, a really awesome kit.

That said, between the shield and the stowed bazooka and funnels I am worried that it is too top heavy for longevity.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Monaghan posted:

Yeah I just used an enamel wash paint for mg heavyarms custom for the blue/green lines on the shoulders and the skirt armor, but man bandai cheaped out on this, considering the lines in the chest are a separate piece.

I have the ancient 1/100 HG Heavyarms Custom where every one of those goddamn lines is a sticker. I never applied any of them because "I'm going to paint it someday.."

Currently it's sitting on the shelf with the Zero Custom and Deatscythe Hell Custom that I am also "going paint someday."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
finished the HAC! unfortunately there was a single small piece, you can see which one I mean on the right foot of the heavyarms custom, where it seems to have broken off the sprue in the factory before being sealed in the bag because the piece is outright missing and not in the bag the sprue came in either. just a really unfortunate fluke, but luckily there's a regular color duplicate on one of the sprues for the heavyarms kai, so now it just has mismatched feet that I'll probably at some point swap out the other spare for so they're not mismatched. I'd give more of a poo poo if it was something crucial like a major joint piece or something but eh.

if you can get the custom for around retail price like midjack did me a solid for, go for it, it's a fantastic kit. probably not for the prices it goes on ebay, but if nothing else, the heavyarms kai kit is also fantastic and readily available. only complaint for that one is it doesn't have a specific hand to hold the chaingun in, so unless the chaingun is braced on something or held specifically under its arm, it will fall right out of its hands. the double chainguns in the heavyarms custom kit I was a bit worried would not be very fun to assemble, but they were simple and quick to build, look great, and thankfully are surprisingly light so it can very easily hold both of them up for the iconic "all guns blazing" pose from the movie.

edit: oh and another complaint is the lack of multiple hands, instead opting for multiple interchangeable finger pose pieces. I would rather have a bag of spare complete hands from each kit than have to worry about getting a tiny-rear end hand bit in and out every time I want to give it a different hand pose. and the clown mask has to be glued in place, so it stays off because I don't really care for it that much anyways.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 28, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh, I just finished the arms on the MSN-06S-2 Sinanju Stein.

There's one tricky bit on the forearm where I broke one of two posts on each arm. Fortunately that part is held in place by other bits sufficiently to not worry about it (or need glue).

What really terrified me were the one-piece hands. I was so sure I was going to break something while rotating the fingers into place. Amazingly, the worst that happened was one finger popped out of joint, but it popped back in just fine. These things are marvels of model kit engineering, I have no idea how you injection mold a ball and socket joint, must be 3D printed.

I'll give them a lot of credit for including both stickers and decals in the kit. Covering both options was very nice.

Having only built and stickered the head, torso, and arms I'm going to give it a good rating as a quality kit - despite the assembly issues on the forearms - but beware ! This is a hard kit with a shitton of sprues.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I believe the advanced joint hands like all the advanced frames in all the early RG kits are two different plastic types, inject the one that has the higher melting point first, then when it cools they inject the lower melting point plastic.

As the lower one can't reach the higher temp, it doesn't deform or bind to the higher temp plastic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mllaneza posted:

What really terrified me were the one-piece hands. I was so sure I was going to break something while rotating the fingers into place. Amazingly, the worst that happened was one finger popped out of joint, but it popped back in just fine. These things are marvels of model kit engineering, I have no idea how you injection mold a ball and socket joint, must be 3D printed.

It's a 2 stage process using 2 different polymers, ABS and PP in Bandai's case. They mold one frame of the more internal parts, then move those parts to a second mold where the other type of plastic is injected around it. As the two plastics don't stick together and can form ball and hinge joints that are otherwise impossible. Unfortunately for some reason on RGs they break the ABS frame off at the factory which can leave some nasty marks.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm pretty sure I'm in the the minority, but I despise the pre-molded hands. There's like a 30 nubs each hand and having to sand every single one is just so aggravating. I'll take the swappable fingers please.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Monaghan posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm in the the minority, but I despise the pre-molded hands. There's like a 30 nubs each hand and having to sand every single one is just so aggravating. I'll take the swappable fingers please.

I hear that. But I've found the folding latch to be really cool and secures weapons a lot better than the swappable hands.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Best of both worlds is swappable hands with the slot or tab.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I like the prebuilt pieces because of the mad engineering that went into them, but on the other I don't because it is prebuilt mad engineering which to me sort of takes away some of the appeal of building. For now I will just settle with respect.

Speaking of Mad Engineering, are there any good models that do transformations? The only one I have is the RG Zeta and...*Thousand Yard Stare*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

finished the HAC! unfortunately there was a single small piece, you can see which one I mean on the right foot of the heavyarms custom, where it seems to have broken off the sprue in the factory before being sealed in the bag because the piece is outright missing and not in the bag the sprue came in either. just a really unfortunate fluke, but luckily there's a regular color duplicate on one of the sprues for the heavyarms kai, so now it just has mismatched feet that I'll probably at some point swap out the other spare for so they're not mismatched. I'd give more of a poo poo if it was something crucial like a major joint piece or something but eh.

if you can get the custom for around retail price like midjack did me a solid for, go for it, it's a fantastic kit. probably not for the prices it goes on ebay, but if nothing else, the heavyarms kai kit is also fantastic and readily available. only complaint for that one is it doesn't have a specific hand to hold the chaingun in, so unless the chaingun is braced on something or held specifically under its arm, it will fall right out of its hands. the double chainguns in the heavyarms custom kit I was a bit worried would not be very fun to assemble, but they were simple and quick to build, look great, and thankfully are surprisingly light so it can very easily hold both of them up for the iconic "all guns blazing" pose from the movie.

edit: oh and another complaint is the lack of multiple hands, instead opting for multiple interchangeable finger pose pieces. I would rather have a bag of spare complete hands from each kit than have to worry about getting a tiny-rear end hand bit in and out every time I want to give it a different hand pose. and the clown mask has to be glued in place, so it stays off because I don't really care for it that much anyways.

Awesome dude and it looks great side by side with the first Heavyarms! I’m glad you enjoyed it, and sorry about the missing piece. :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

On the one hand I like the prebuilt pieces because of the mad engineering that went into them, but on the other I don't because it is prebuilt mad engineering which to me sort of takes away some of the appeal of building. For now I will just settle with respect.

Speaking of Mad Engineering, are there any good models that do transformations? The only one I have is the RG Zeta and...*Thousand Yard Stare*

The RG Unicorns fo pretty awesome transformations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Been a long long while since I posted any of my gunpla stuff, but this situation (along with a general 2020 decision to get back into it) has meant I've put together about 4 new kits, with a 5th and 6th in line.

My MG Freedom and Wing KA were in a previous thread somewhere.

First up was that new hotness in the MG 1/100 Gundam Barbatos from IBO. It's an amazing kit, I really hope they work to build more kits out of the frame or apply it to other ones because it's great.

I loved everything about this kit, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone whether you've seen IBO or not.

The next kit I did was the MG 1/100 Aile Strike Gundam ver RM kit. I think the Strike is a great design with the flight backpack and it doesn't hurt that the model comes with a cool launcher action base.

This is a very good kit too. After the barbatos it seemed really low on details, but I think that's just the SEED OG designs, its a lot of smooth surfaces. I'm sure some scribing would add some extra depth to it.

I paused on the MG line up for just a moment to do a P-Bandai RG. The RG 1/144 Tallgeese 3. I custom colored the blue pieces and made the frame silver. I gave it the nickname "Silver Wing" to go with the Preventer Wind thing.

I'll be honest the 1/144 scale is just hard for my big hands. I think it's a good kit (outside of the arms those joints are poo poo), but the size provides some obvious limitations. The mostly preassembled frame seems good until you put too much pressure on any part of it. The right arm basically can only hold that angle, and the left isn't much better.

Then before I wanted to start a fully custom colored kit for my next one (what I'm currently working on) I tried out a few things on this ancient kit because it was so cheap. MG 1/100 G Gundam.

The kit shows it's age the moment you open the box. Since a lot of the detail is just molded into the kit, unlike more modern ones you gotta color and paint a signficant volume of pieces for it to resemble the finished box product. I obviously didn't stick with the color scheme, but that didn't stop the detailing being more difficult than on more modern kits with more pieces that layer.

I'll update y'all with my next one which is going to be a custom Epyon. These kits I've done up exclusively with the Gundam Markers (ive got 5 different set i think?) and I can def provide a review of those if there is any interest.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 30, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Unlucky7 posted:

The prebuilt mad engineering hands take enough care to get everything rotated just right without breaking that I feel invested in them.

For transforming kits, Bandai's Macross series has some excellent kits,

http://cjinsblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/172-vf-25f-messiah-review.html

This is an excellent kit, somewhere between HG and MG in difficulty and detail, and a really beautiful design. Just be prepared to put on a LOT of stickers. I'd ahve mine finally completed if I hadn't, err, mislaid some parts.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The transforming Macross kits are engineering marvels, but if you're going to use the waterslides, you must decide before you start whether you want them to be Battroid, GERWALK, or fighter mode and then apply the decals. They tear at the edges WAY easily.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot:

https://imgur.com/a/jVrRrJi

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
The Dynames is a good robot!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

the face of "I have a giant forehead and all the other mechs made fun of me in mech school for it"

Midjack posted:

Awesome dude and it looks great side by side with the first Heavyarms! I’m glad you enjoyed it, and sorry about the missing piece. :(
the sprue was like that out of the bag, so it was bandai's fault, not yours, no worries. I kinda like the dark grey being there rather than solid white so I'll swap out the white one for the dark grey one eventually.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I tried to make the actual verniers look like they sorta did something to make them stand out against the frame.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Aw jeez that looks super good and I usually dont like the feathery looking suits

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Oh sweet goddamn hell yes!!!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Queadlunn posted:

Oh sweet goddamn hell yes!!!

Why isn't the box colored?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

Why isn't the box colored?

P-Bandai kits don't get color.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

^^^^The Tallgeese 3 box is all blue.

Marx Headroom posted:

Aw jeez that looks super good and I usually dont like the feathery looking suits

I have come to the startling conclusion that I appreciate suits with wings or bigass backpacks. Barbatos is the only one that doesn't have something like that in my collection for now.

I like how he turned out, it's close to the box color scheme but a little brighter. It would be way more white out of the box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Notorious ZSB posted:

^^^^The Tallgeese 3 box is all blue.

I have come to the startling conclusion that I appreciate suits with wings or bigass backpacks. Barbatos is the only one that doesn't have something like that in my collection for now.

I like how he turned out, it's close to the box color scheme but a little brighter. It would be way more white out of the box.

I have a real soft spot for oversized backpack robots too :allears:. It goes with my love of mecha with stupid amounts of weaponry and missiles crammed into them (See; most of the Gunpla I own, and my Alto 30MM entry).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aoshima's releasing another Gunbuster but now with arms folded parts.

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1255733198803197952?s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Aoshima's releasing another Gunbuster but now with arms folded parts.

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1255733198803197952?s=19

God. Dammit. :stwoon:

Maybe they'll take the time to redo the unnecessarily-stickered parts in colour and fix some of the part tolerances while they're at it. Getting the shoulder pods on is a bitch.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Got the TR-6 Haze'n-Thley II done! It's a ridiculous mobile suit but I love the Advance of Zeta designs. Shown with the Hrududu II add-on kit I got last year and the standard TR-6 Woundwort. The Haze'n-Thley is ~240mm tall, probably the biggest 1/144 Gundam kit I've assembled now.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I feel the same way. Easily 75% of my collection is composed of suits with giants wings and things. I have four different versions of Wing Zero Custom alone, and three of Deathscythe Hell Custom. Then there's all of the SEED and 00 suits.. it's getting really hard to display all these things in my little apartment when they all have giant backpacks bumping into each other. :shobon:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Queadlunn posted:

Got the TR-6 Haze'n-Thley II done! It's a ridiculous mobile suit but I love the Advance of Zeta designs. Shown with the Hrududu II add-on kit I got last year and the standard TR-6 Woundwort. The Haze'n-Thley is ~240mm tall, probably the biggest 1/144 Gundam kit I've assembled now.

They've done really well with the HG-AoZ line and not shying away from the ridiculously oversized and complex designs like this one. Hopefully we'll get a TR-5 Fiver some day.

Inspired by your post I went through the parts of my TR-6 Haze'n-Thley II Rah and interestingly they've now started to separately mark parts that aren't used in the model but can be assembled into complete components. Instead of the X of why am I spending money on parts that I have to throw away doom, these parts now have a triangle.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They're finally doing another Figure-Rise Standard of a Gundam character. And it's a character from an older series, which is a good sign that maybe they'll eventually do a Char or a Sayla

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

They're finally doing another Figure-Rise Standard of a Gundam character. And it's a character from an older series, which is a good sign that maybe they'll eventually do a Char or a Sayla

Lol no; It's a sign they're pandering to the Otaku market for easy money.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Bees on Wheat posted:

I feel the same way. Easily 75% of my collection is composed of suits with giants wings and things. I have four different versions of Wing Zero Custom alone, and three of Deathscythe Hell Custom. Then there's all of the SEED and 00 suits.. it's getting really hard to display all these things in my little apartment when they all have giant backpacks bumping into each other. :shobon:

Maybe it's just because Wing was my Gundam gateway drug, but I still think it has some of the best unit designs of any series and I would buy every version of the Wing Gundam if I weren't settled on trying to do different models. I suspect the Wing/Wing Zero play a big role in my love of wings and huge backpacks.

Honestly a lot of the classic Gramps variations look kinda like they're missing something or are light to me sometimes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol no; It's a sign they're pandering to the Otaku market for easy money.

That's what I said

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Remember when it looked like she was going to be the protagonist and then it turned out is was lame rear end kung fu guy and she became haram fodder?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Azubah posted:

Remember when it looked like she was going to be the protagonist and then it turned out is was lame rear end kung fu guy and she became haram fodder?

What really kills me is that her arc is great, and is shown in her Gunpla in really well. Fumina is alone so she builds the GM Cardigan, a total all-rounder that can fight at any range and deal with any situation. But then she gets teammates and is so happy to be part of a team she builds the Winning Gundam, which exists just to support her teammates. It literally sacrifices herself to make her teammates better. But then she realizes that's bad, she shouldn't do that, so she makes the Star Winning Gundam. Which takes all those booster parts and puts them on herself, turning her Gundam into a Super Robot that should be the "Star" of the show. She's not alone anymore so she doesn't have to do everything by herself, and her team is reliable enough that she doesn't have to sacrifice herself for them. Her goal of building a Gunpla team has been firmly accomplished and she can stand on top of it as the Star Winning Gunpla Fighter

Written down that sounds great, but in the actual show it's almost completely eclipsed by the black hole that is Sekai. All characters revolve around Sekai. Other characters can't even have resonant, interesting arcs because if they did it would distract from Sekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gripweed posted:

Oof, that looks bad. They did Hoshino Fumina dirty :mad: