Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm on the Penguin release of ISoLT Vol. 2, where Marcel meets the author Bergotte and has his mental image of him shattered. He had the author built up in his mind as a sagely, bearded old man and in reality he was quite young with a black goatee and kind of tubby, and Marcel spends a good deal of time reconciling that with himself. It mirrors an earlier scene in which he attends a play starring the actress La Berma, who he has built up as someone whose every performance is a transcendent tap into the highest realms of raw poetry in motion, but sees the play and finds himself completely unmoved by it. In contrast to Bergotte, who he eventually grows to appreciate in spite of his incongruity with his expectations, he tries repeatedly to revise his experience with La Berma based on the testimony of others who claimed the play really was an exceptional one by convincing himself that actually, it was good, and he just either wasn't able to appreciate it properly or didn't have a proper frame of reference to see how she was really reaching back through time to channel the greatest of the Greek tragedists with every sweep of the hand.

I'm not super clear on the time frame that this one takes place in - I think Marcel is supposed to be about 17-20, but has an emotional immaturity. It's difficult for me to parse out how much of it is really that or how much of it is due to the culture, since so much of the intricacies of late 19th century French aristocratic social navigation are lost on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m working from home and listening to free audiobooks from LibriVox and have decided to stop being a loving child and read (well, listen to) literature.

Should I just use some normal list of greatest literary classics and go down it? Or is there some goon approved reading list of public domain stuff floating around?

Also most literature lists seem to focus on novels, but are there any great classic history books and things like that?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Heath posted:

It's difficult for me to parse out how much of it is really that or how much of it is due to the culture, since so much of the intricacies of late 19th century French aristocratic social navigation are lost on me.

I know what you mean but the narrator is pointedly not moving in aristocratic circles until he meets Saint-Loup. It's going to become a really important distinction in later novels with the eventual twilight of the Guermantes' circle and the rise of bourgeois salons.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I’m working from home and listening to free audiobooks from LibriVox and have decided to stop being a loving child and read (well, listen to) literature.

Should I just use some normal list of greatest literary classics and go down it? Or is there some goon approved reading list of public domain stuff floating around?

Also most literature lists seem to focus on novels, but are there any great classic history books and things like that?

You shouldn't listen to great novels(especially not while doing something else), you should read them.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

A human heart posted:

You shouldn't listen to great novels(especially not while doing something else), you should read them.

Aww man don’t gatekeep me. I promise to pay close attention and my job is basically mindless data entry at the moment.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

you should almost certainly not just work thru a list of classics because thats bound to have a load of things that are boring or poo poo but notable in some way. what interests you?

in terms of classic history books: histories by herodotus obvs & decline and fall by gibbon are 2 that are like canonical works of literature

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

lost in postation posted:

I know what you mean but the narrator is pointedly not moving in aristocratic circles until he meets Saint-Loup. It's going to become a really important distinction in later novels with the eventual twilight of the Guermantes' circle and the rise of bourgeois salons.

Yeah, the social castes are completely lost on me, especially because he speaks of the Swanns in such reverent tones that you would think everyone is immensely wealthy and prestigious (which is kind of the point, of course.) There are so many layers to society that were probably implicit among the audience of his day.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

CestMoi posted:

you should almost certainly not just work thru a list of classics because thats bound to have a load of things that are boring or poo poo but notable in some way. what interests you?

in terms of classic history books: histories by herodotus obvs & decline and fall by gibbon are 2 that are like canonical works of literature

Thanks for the history recommendations, I'll see if I can find those.

As for things that interest me, I think I'm usually drawn to stories about families or groups rather than stories about individuals. I'm not interested in a single guy thinking about how much he loves a girl, or struggling with his inner demons, or thinking about the state of the world or things like that. I'd much rather read about groups or families and how their interactions with each other and the world outside shape them. I like stories where I can see how each new occurrence shapes everyone and changes the dynamic of the group. Even in genre fiction I usually get more out of stories about families or groups or teams rather than one hero's journey.

I also like stories that take me in-depth into a type of life I'm not familiar with, so I really feel like I'm experiencing a whole new lifestyle through the characters.

I really haven't read too much outside of genre fiction, but of the few bits of literature I've read I really enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath since it was a great story about a family, and Les Miserables (full disclosure I've only experienced it as a musical) because I felt like it was a story about the connections between the characters and how they were shaped by those connections. I'd love more stuff like either of those.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Jeremy irons did a drat good narration of Lolita

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Getsuya posted:

Thanks for the history recommendations, I'll see if I can find those.

As for things that interest me, I think I'm usually drawn to stories about families or groups rather than stories about individuals. I'm not interested in a single guy thinking about how much he loves a girl, or struggling with his inner demons, or thinking about the state of the world or things like that. I'd much rather read about groups or families and how their interactions with each other and the world outside shape them. I like stories where I can see how each new occurrence shapes everyone and changes the dynamic of the group. Even in genre fiction I usually get more out of stories about families or groups or teams rather than one hero's journey.

I also like stories that take me in-depth into a type of life I'm not familiar with, so I really feel like I'm experiencing a whole new lifestyle through the characters.

I really haven't read too much outside of genre fiction, but of the few bits of literature I've read I really enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath since it was a great story about a family, and Les Miserables (full disclosure I've only experienced it as a musical) because I felt like it was a story about the connections between the characters and how they were shaped by those connections. I'd love more stuff like either of those.

that is still a pretty wide net

like how many of these did you read/like in your journey up through english classes

east of eden
100 years of solitude
middlesex
the good earth
pride and prejudice
brothers karamazov

also if mel recommends black water i will do him harm

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
None of those.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird (liked), The Grapes of Wrath (loved), The Great Gatsby (hated)
I do like the Pride and Prejudice BBC show! (Yes I realize that doesn’t count for anything)

Uh... I like the Divine Comedy! Mostly for the horror elements sorry.

You’re dealing with a literature newbie here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What turned you off about Gatsby?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The dialogue didn’t feel like how real people communicated with each other and I couldn’t identify with any of the emotions of the characters. My wife, an English teacher, has suggested I might like it more as an adult but I’ve never felt a reason to revisit it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tree Goat posted:

also if mel recommends black water i will do him harm
Hm. Never took him for a Joyce Carol Oates fan.

Edit:

Getsuya posted:

Manhattan Transfer, John Dos Passos.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 3, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

100 Years of Solitude seems like it'd be up your alley and also owns

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Heath posted:

I'm on the Penguin release of ISoLT Vol. 2, where Marcel meets the author Bergotte and has his mental image of him shattered. He had the author built up in his mind as a sagely, bearded old man and in reality he was quite young with a black goatee and kind of tubby, and Marcel spends a good deal of time reconciling that with himself. It mirrors an earlier scene in which he attends a play starring the actress La Berma, who he has built up as someone whose every performance is a transcendent tap into the highest realms of raw poetry in motion, but sees the play and finds himself completely unmoved by it. In contrast to Bergotte, who he eventually grows to appreciate in spite of his incongruity with his expectations, he tries repeatedly to revise his experience with La Berma based on the testimony of others who claimed the play really was an exceptional one by convincing himself that actually, it was good, and he just either wasn't able to appreciate it properly or didn't have a proper frame of reference to see how she was really reaching back through time to channel the greatest of the Greek tragedists with every sweep of the hand.

I'm not super clear on the time frame that this one takes place in - I think Marcel is supposed to be about 17-20, but has an emotional immaturity. It's difficult for me to parse out how much of it is really that or how much of it is due to the culture, since so much of the intricacies of late 19th century French aristocratic social navigation are lost on me.

Proust is just so loving good. Keep posting about him

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Getsuya posted:

If you want to go after the white whale, someone earlier in the thread posted the celeb (including John Waters!) Moby Dick audiobook, which is free (the link looks scary) http://www.mobydickbigread.com/

Sir David Attenborough's chapter, naturally, beats the pants off of all the rest: http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapter-105-does-the-whales-magnitude-diminish/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Aww man don’t gatekeep me. I promise to pay close attention and my job is basically mindless data entry at the moment.

You won't get the same experience from listening to those books that you would from reading them.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
True! But this is sort of a 'better than nothing' situation, since there's really no other way I'm ever going to have time to really focus on these books otherwise.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Don't listen to these nerds bro, audiobooks got me into literature for the same reason. Used to drive about 3 hours a day

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Heath posted:

Don't forget the disappointment of the church at Balbec. I think you'll find that is one of the most commonly recurring themes of the work.
And his age at any point is definitely a common confusion. When I first read it I imagined him about 17-20 during volume 3.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gilberte is 15 at the start, and he's a little bit older than she is, I think?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Getsuya posted:

Read Natalia Ginzburg's Family Lexicon

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Getsuya posted:

None of those.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird (liked), The Grapes of Wrath (loved), The Great Gatsby (hated)
I do like the Pride and Prejudice BBC show! (Yes I realize that doesn’t count for anything)

Uh... I like the Divine Comedy! Mostly for the horror elements sorry.

You’re dealing with a literature newbie here.

In your case I'd pick a nice chunky victorian novel, possibly something like The Mill on the Floss.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Getsuya posted:

The Iliad and the Odyssey, audiobooks are more authentic.

Also, Colin Firth in a wet shirt is not nothing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks folks, looks like I have a pretty good playlist for now. I’ll report back with my experience with this stuff and see how that leads me to more suggestions.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Heath posted:

Yeah, the social castes are completely lost on me, especially because he speaks of the Swanns in such reverent tones that you would think everyone is immensely wealthy and prestigious (which is kind of the point, of course.) There are so many layers to society that were probably implicit among the audience of his day.

The naivety of the narrator makes it maybe a little more obscure than it really is, but the big categories to keep in mind are the Gentile bourgeois (the narrator and his family), the Jews (Swann and Bloch, who represent a kind of dichotomy between integration and pride in one's heritage), and the nobility (Guermantes, Saint-Loup, Charlus, etc.). The nobility still has a degree of prestige (especially in the eyes of a fairly impressionable teenager), but their star is rapidly fading after several decades of the Third Republic and an increasing sense that the Ancien Régime will never return.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Getsuya posted:

Thanks folks, looks like I have a pretty good playlist for now. I’ll report back with my experience with this stuff and see how that leads me to more suggestions.

Oh by the way, if you listen to Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, remember that from a historical perspective a lot of it is out of date, since it was written in 1776. One of the big ones is his perspective on the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire (many contemporary historians prefer the latter term) and it's status as the successor state/continuation of the Roman Empire. He also is writing as a 1770s dude, so he's not the best on other religions.

The broad strokes will be fine, though, and it's still an important work. I read an abridged version as a kid and that got me into ancient history.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The North Tower posted:

If you want to go after the white whale, someone earlier in the thread posted the celeb (including John Waters!) Moby Dick audiobook, which is free (the link looks scary) http://www.mobydickbigread.com/

Sir David Attenborough's chapter, naturally, beats the pants off of all the rest: http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapter-105-does-the-whales-magnitude-diminish/

How did he not draw Cetology?

e. was at the hall named for him at Cambridge that has a giant fuckign whale skeleton hanging in it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Idaholy Roller posted:

Talking about Mishima, what’s the best book about him? I assume there must be a few biographies out there.

The Life and Death of Yukio Mishima by Henry Scott Stokes was surprisingly good i thought, a lot of interesting anecdotes and he even attended a bunch of tatenokai meetings

theres a whole body of research in japanese of course but that hasnt been translated for the most part. ive been watching some of the movies mishima starred in along with akihiro miwa like kurotokage, theyre actually quite good

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

We've all had those nights where we get really drunk, make stupid decisions, and only wake up in the morning to realize what the gently caress we've done. Well, Saturday night I agreed to join an Infinite Jest book club. I even went ahead and ordered a copy so it's already in the mail.

What have I done?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TrixRabbi posted:

We've all had those nights where we get really drunk, make stupid decisions, and only wake up in the morning to realize what the gently caress we've done. Well, Saturday night I agreed to join an Infinite Jest book club. I even went ahead and ordered a copy so it's already in the mail.

What have I done?

:sickos:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
after the first chapter you are gonna have a question and you are gonna read the whole book for an answer to that question and I am telling you right now there is not an answer to that question

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

after the first chapter you are gonna have a question and you are gonna read the whole book for an answer to that question and I am telling you right now there is not an answer to that question

Yes there is.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
and but so

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

w/r/t

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mdemone posted:

Yes there is.

this is a lie it is absolutely never revealed why hal's mother, a die hard grammatical prescriptivist, misuses the word ambivalent

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

this is a lie it is absolutely never revealed why hal's mother, a die hard grammatical prescriptivist, misuses the word ambivalent

or why otis lord, a "calculus phenom," would fundamentally misunderstand the mean value theorem"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tree Goat posted:

or why otis lord, a "calculus phenom," would fundamentally misunderstand the mean value theorem"

Hal is the narrator in both of these parts, and we know that his memory is not perfect (despite what he may think) and some of his recollections are unreliable.

Edit: I'm trying to be a good sport here, it's pretty clear from DFW's book on infinity that he had the same misunderstanding of central limit theorem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

mdemone posted:

Hal is the narrator in both of these parts, and we know that his memory is not perfect (despite what he may think) and some of his recollections are unreliable.

Edit: I'm trying to be a good sport here, it's pretty clear from DFW's book on infinity that he had the same misunderstanding of central limit theorem

oh was it the clt? i remembered it as him misunderstanding the mvt