Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Are we sure that it was a mistake? This is what they normally do for taped shows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok I think I've seen just about everything on the Dragon Gate network. Is NOAH up on the DDT Universe or do they only have new shows going forward?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

noah is up on ddt, but the content is just this year

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/BJWOfficial/status/1256066619287076864?s=19

BJW is crowd funding to survive. From what I've heard they're unlikely to make it through June if they don't start doing live shows again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

BJW is crowd funding to survive. From what I've heard they're unlikely to make it through June if they don't start doing live shows again.

those WWE rumors really screwed them up

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

even if they would do empty arena shows they'd be hurt, they can't run with crowds right?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KungFu Grip posted:

even if they would do empty arena shows they'd be hurt, they can't run with crowds right?

I think they had some small crowds during the Strong Climb shows last month but that came to an end & the finals were a no fans show.

It'd be really bad if Big Japan dies. Obviously the leading death match group in the world, the Strong division is usually worth a watch, their dojo has put out some quality talent like Nomura. And it's also one of the longest existing active wrestling companies in Japan, after AJPW, NJPW, & Michinoku Pro.

Combine that with Wrestle-1 shuttering a month ago, the rumours around All Japan, it's not a healthy time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Yeah, they need crowds. They're already running empty arena shows for Samurai TV.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If anybody wants to donate their money to BJW, here is the link

https://camp-fire.jp/projects/266085/preview?token=260gyy5b

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wanna hang out with Kenoh but I don't wanna spike his anxiety. Dude is the coolest anxiety maniac in wrestling.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

can someone give me some dragon gate show recommendations? thinking about getting into it now that i have almost nothing to do but watch wrestling and send wrestling gifs to my friends

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Any of the Dead or Alive shows are a great watch if you're new to DG, but 2014, 2016, and 2019 are probably the best of the bunch to start with (2014 was my introduction to Dragon Gate, and is a total blast). Kobe World from last year was also a great watch, but you'll want to watch DoA 2019 first for the setup to that show if you go that route.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When I had the service I made it a point to watch PAC's 2019 run via the Infinity shows.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_BigEventsFeature

The Dead or Alive's of the past decade are all free right now. 2014 was my first Dragon Gate show and it's an all timer show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Larry Dallas and his pet nerd are pretty good on commentary too. Not quite the easy comaraderie that NJPW has going on but they do a great job explaining the action and don't get in the way. Just for the love of god, don't interact with Larry Dallas on social media.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

Larry Dallas and his pet nerd are pretty good on commentary too. Not quite the easy comaraderie that NJPW has going on but they do a great job explaining the action and don't get in the way. Just for the love of god, don't interact with Larry Dallas on social media.

jae is amazing. Genuinely the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to western fans of the Dragon system, all the way back to Toryumon

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

coconono posted:

Larry Dallas and his pet nerd are pretty good on commentary too.

lol that's is certainly one way to describe someone that probably did the most encompassing fan site turned official english dg comms

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dallas spends a pretty good portion of the undercard quizzing Jae(whom I can never remember his name), which leads to some pretty funny/awkward moments.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jae superfanned his way into being an official announcer for Dragon Gate, something I think we can all agree is very cool.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dimebags Brain posted:

Jae superfanned his way into being an official announcer for Dragon Gate, something I think we can all agree is very cool.

I agree totally. I wasn't trying to call him a lovely weasal or anything.

Exploring DDT universe now. Its streaming service is a lot better than when it first debuted but I haven't tried live yet. English support is decentish. Not really built for binge watching tho.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just hope DDT can split matches into their own videos because that's what makes watching easy for me

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They really need subtitling. Stuff like this Imanari solo show is just some weird music with no pants to me.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I just hope DDT can split matches into their own videos because that's what makes watching easy for me

They do this sometimes. The smaller tour shows will almost always be uploaded split into individual matches but the big livestream shows only sometimes get this treatment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I need to get back in the habit of watching wrestling again and I guess tomorrow's All Japan headlined by a tag title clash between Violent Giants vs YoshiKen is as good as any.

Time: 6:00AM East, 3:00AM Pacific, 11:00AM British, 7:00PM Japan

Can Kento go 0/3 in 3 consecutive title matches, following on from last weeks loss in the All Asia Tag match? Probably not?

I'm kind of done with empty arena shows but if there's a title match I'll make an exception. But it's not ideal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Put on the DDT TV show and absolutely bewildered but loving the loving weird manga energy if Dieno vs Akito. Dramatic DDT doesn't do the description for how out there this is.

This is how you do cinematic wrestling.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate has announced that King of Gate will be going ahead this month in a series of empty arena shows.

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1257664161443528706

Dragon Gate posted:

King of Gate 2020 will take place exclusively on the Dragon Gate Network in the month of May. All matches will be held in empty arenas.
This year will be contested under a tournament format, with 24 competitors split into 3 blocks. The winner from each block will advance to the semifinals. The final semifinal spot will be decided via a special battle royal where a participant who was defeated in tournament play will have the chance to gain entry back in.
The current broadcast schedule is as follows. Dates for the second round and beyond will be announced at a later date.

May 15th, 2020 (Friday 12:00 JST)
〈King of Gate 2020 A Block 1st Round〉
Kzy vs. H・Y・O
YAMATO vs. Ryo Saito
Dragon Kid vs. Diamante
Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Susumu Yokosuka

May 16th, 2020 (Saturday 12:00 JST)
〈King of Gate 2020 B Block 1st Round〉
Kaito Ishida vs. Jason Lee
BxB Hulk vs. Keisuke Okuda
Genki Horiguchi vs. KAI
Big R Shimizu vs. Naruki Doi

May 16th, 2020 (Sunday 12:00 JST)
〈King of Gate 2020 C Block 1st Round〉
Kagetora vs. Ben-K
Strong Machine J vs. Eita
Kazma Sakamoto vs. Masaaki Mochizuki
Dragon Dia vs. Takashi Yoshida

Subscribe today at dragongate.live!

I don't know who Dragon Dia pissed off to get put in a singles match against Cyber Kong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crap, they are really early shows.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I dunno, watching a show at 10:00pm rather than 3:00am is really nice for me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

No point having a later show if no crowd. Probably better for talent and everyone

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

You know, this is an excellent reason to subscribe to the network, cause that's 8 PM my time and I'm sure they can use the money.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
There is a better than zero percent chance that there will be English commentary post live for those who are interested

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

I dunno, watching a show at 10:00pm rather than 3:00am is really nice for me.

Think it is a 4am start for me. Far too early but suppose I don't need to catch it live

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So far got to say that the warehouse nature of 2AW Square works out pretty well for an empty arena show. During the JIN vs Ashino and X tag match in particular it almost sounds like there's an audience between how loud the wrestlers in ring are combined with those at ringside.

Seen a few shows from there now and I think it's probably the best suited for no fan shows just because of how small it is.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

im not sure if any of you saw, but someone uploaded the weekly pro wrestling bridge of dreams show to youtube. 6 hours. 13 promotions. every group in japan sent a main event match (except war sorry tenryu) to fill a card. legendary show, not available until now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttH0S2s5Zww

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

im not sure if any of you saw, but someone uploaded the weekly pro wrestling bridge of dreams show to youtube. 6 hours. 13 promotions. every group in japan sent a main event match (except war sorry tenryu) to fill a card. legendary show, not available until now

We have a Pacific Rim episode on this show I need to listen too and just watching the All Japan 6 man tag and while the video/audio is very much VHS 90's level I get why people said this was a great match god drat

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tomorrow's DDT TV show looks really good, we're finally getting the Masato Tanaka vs. Yukio Sakaguchi title match and Chris Brookes gets a hardcore match with Shunma Katsumata as revenge for getting him banned from Twitter last year.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Also Jun Akiyama is also going to be there; and he'll be a guest coach with DDT as well apparently.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

looks like tv asahi pulled it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

KungFu Grip posted:

looks like tv asahi pulled it

he reuploaded each match individually except for hashimoto vs chono which is why it got pulled probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

If you, like me, are staring at your computer screen on a Sunday morning, you can watch NOAH on Abema TV for free right now

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1259423459626622976?s=20

Main event of Muta & Marufuji vs Sakuraba & Mochizuki which is some team. Also a Jr Tag Title match of HAYATA & Ogawa vs YO-HEY & Tadasuke & I'm confused as to why Hayata & Ogawa are tagging now, making it clear I have fallen behind on my NOAH since Ogawa was attacked by Kotaro Suzuki way back at the show with Shiozaki vs Fujita.