Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

William Gibson's Desert Island Discs interview is online, and you should be able to listen to it wherever you are. Even if you're not, check out his choice of luxury for a desert island.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00941v7

E: Snype bonus: Here's a funny article about Hugo ceremony disasters: http://www.jophan.org/mimosa/m14/glyer.htm

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Safety Biscuits posted:

William Gibson's Desert Island Discs interview is online, and you should be able to listen to it wherever you are. Even if you're not, check out his choice of luxury for a desert island.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00941v7

To save people the trouble: he wanted a junkyard.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jedit posted:

I get you don't like Sanderson's writing, but he volunteered to give his book away and Tor aren't even replacing their regular Book Club drop with it. Was there any particular need to be a prick about this?

Are you really stupid enough to think he’s not doing it to make money? He’s doing it so people read the first book then buy the rest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pseudanonymous posted:

Are you really stupid enough to think he’s not doing it to make money? He’s doing it so people read the first book then buy the rest.

That doesn't detract from how nice it is to give away a free book, come on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Did anybody catch the podcast interview between Neil Gaiman and N. K. Jemisin last night?

I missed it and now I'm sad.

Oh wait here it is. https://youtu.be/bnpLSwqcdW4

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 3, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

Canada needs to be green there too. There’s a reason I can do metric/imperial conversions in my head and it’s because of so many different loving recipes where no standards exist. And also why the gently caress do I have measuring tapes with only inches on them? Where the gently caress did these even come from?

The recipes are probably because we get a lot of our recipes and recipe books from the US; a significant majority of the recipe books on my shelves are US-published and of course they don't bother with unit conversions. This is probably also why ~all of the measuring tools in my kitchen are dual-labeled.

No idea what the gently caress is up with your measuring tapes, though, all of mine are in cm...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

If his books were as bad as you make out there would be no danger of people buying the others. You're having a "nobody is allowed to like this thing I don't like" moment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished A Memeory Called Empire. I enjoyed it, overall and is a pretty good first novel.

as excellently articulated in the thread, things happen to Mahit and she barely does anything of her own accord except replace the imago machine and confront Ninteen Adaze with the information about the giant alien spaceship. Also the giant alien space ship is the least interesting part of the setting but hopefully she goes somewhere interesting for the sequel.

Most importantly her voice was very fresh and I am glad I got to read something by a non straight white male author.

Now the question is what next, this thread recommended the Fifth Season so I might order that. Part of me also wants to return after 20 years to Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Edit: quote not edit

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

algebra testes posted:

Most importantly her voice was very fresh and I am glad I got to read something by a non straight white male author.

Now the question is what next, this thread recommended the Fifth Season so I might order that. Part of me also wants to return after 20 years to Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon.

Counterpoint: the setting was standard Foundation/giant bureaucracy with Aztec words. Gods of Jade and Shadow, which is just set in 1920s Mexico, is way more interesting and fresh (and also by a female POC).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

algebra testes posted:

Part of me also wants to return after 20 years to Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon.

I was doing some housework and randomly picked up Shadow of a Dark Queen from my bookshelf for the first time in probably ten years just to flip through it. Feist's later stuff suffered bad from diminishing returns (which was already happening in the back half of the serpentwar saga, so I can only imagine his last couple series weren't much better in that regard), and his early stuff is painfully influenced by derivitive tabletop gaming, but credit where it's due: it doesnt take more than a paragraph to get back into his world. His style is impossibly readable. I ended up blasting through SoaDQ in about three days. If you do get back to A Darkness at Sethanon, can you post a trip report? I remember the battle for Armengar being a blast. :haw:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

He does have a weird, powerfully readable quality. That said, Rise of a Merchant Prince made me never want to read Feist again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

If his books were as bad as you make out there would be no danger of people buying the others. You're having a "nobody is allowed to like this thing I don't like" moment.
Patrick Rothfuss sells. It's perfectly possibly for books to be horrible and people would still buy their sequels. And say what you will about Sanderson, he's not as bad as Rothfuss.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

Counterpoint: the setting was standard Foundation/giant bureaucracy with Aztec words. Gods of Jade and Shadow, which is just set in 1920s Mexico, is way more interesting and fresh (and also by a female POC).

i feel like the Aztec thing is heavily overstated just because of the naming system and the obvious bit about blood sacrifice.

but the main political scenario that informs everything is directly drawn from her academic background in studying Armenia in the 11th century and its relationship as a technically-independent nation that was still effectively a client state of Byzantium. also the poetry and high court culture that they spend a lot of time on in Memory is pretty much directly lifted from the Byzantine system at that time.

it's definitely wrapped in a skin of Aztec stuff but i feel like it's a lot more than that

E: also while i was googling what i remembered about this i found Arkady Martine describing it herself:

https://www.torforgeblog.com/2018/12/05/six-things-i-borrowed-wholesale-from-history-for-a-memory-called-empire/ posted:

Six Things I Borrowed Wholesale From History for A Memory Called Empire

- In the year 1044 AD, the Byzantine Empire annexed the small Armenian kingdom of Ani. The empire was able to do this for a lot of reasons – political, historical, military – but the precipitating incident involved the Catholicos of the Armenian Apostolic Church, a man named Petros Getadarj, who was determined to prevent the forced conversion of the Armenians to the Byzantine form of Christianity. He did this by trading the physical sovereignty of Ani to the Byzantine emperor in exchange for promises of spiritual sovereignty. When I started writing this book, my inciting question was: what’s it like to be that guy? To betray your culture’s freedom in order to save your culture? Except, y’know, in space.

- The number-noun naming system of Teixcalaan is a direct reference to the naming practices of the Mixtec people of Oaxaca, who, like many Mesoamerican peoples, were named for the day in the 260-day cycle of the year on which they were born: a cycle of thirteen numbers and twenty signs (animals, plants, and natural phenomena).

- Extemporaneous and extremely political court poetry contests like the one Mahit attends in the City were a centerpiece of Byzantine political life during the Middle Byzantine Period (approximately 900-1204 CE), and were used in much the same way as I’ve used them: to prove an orator’s intelligence and cultural competence, and also to make political arguments. Sometimes both at once. ‘Fifteen-syllable political verse’ is a direct lift from Byzantine literature.

- The acclimation by the legions of some general to emperorship – or the threat thereof – was a constant problem in the late Roman empire and into Byzantium, as imperial legitimacy was so tightly linked to military prowess, success, and the celebration of triumphs. Teixcalaan has similar issues.

- Blood sacrifice for luck, promises, and the preservation of society is common in many cultures, but I specifically built Teixcalaanli religion in reference to the practices of the Mexica … and in reference to the idea of summer kings, the king being linked to the land, and whose sacrifice might be the only thing sufficient to redeem that land, which is common in European pre-Christian cultures.

- Ixhui dumplings are 100% Turkish/Ottoman manti. They’re my favorite food that I can’t make to save my life, so of course I used them.

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 3, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

i feel like the Aztec thing is heavily overstated just because of the naming system and the obvious bit about blood sacrifice.

but the main political scenario that informs everything is directly drawn from her academic background in studying Amenia in the 11th century and its relationship as a technically-independent nation that was effectively a client state of Byzantium, and that parallel plays out way more heavily than anything Aztec. also the poetry and high court culture that they spend a lot of time on in Memory is pretty much directly lifted from the Byzantine system at that time.

What book are you talking about? It's not clear.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you click the "buffalo all day posted:" link in the quote, it'll take you to the original post.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

i was replying to people discussing memory called empire

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

i was replying to people discussing memory called empire

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was Gods of Jade and Shadow or Memory Called Empire. I should probably read both, they both sound cool.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

A Memory Called Empire.

And honestly I wish she’d just set the book in Byzantium.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was Gods of Jade and Shadow or Memory Called Empire. I should probably read both, they both sound cool.

yeah! i started Gods of Jade and Shadow but never got into it, i'm going to give it another shot

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

eke out posted:

yeah! i started Gods of Jade and Shadow but never got into it, i'm going to give it another shot

There’s a side of it that feels like a standard faery story complete with humble scullerymaid meeting a dark, brooding handsome prince but it has a really cool mix of post-revolutionary Mexico mixed with pre-Christian mythology.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

buffalo all day posted:

A Memory Called Empire.

And honestly I wish she’d just set the book in Byzantium.

It's a little odd to me to take aspects of two very different cultures and then put them together. Thing's dont evolve in a vacumn. If the Mayans had a naming system based on a 260 day cycle there were probably other interrelated elements.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

eke out posted:

but the main political scenario that informs everything is directly drawn from her academic background in studying Armenia in the 11th century and its relationship as a technically-independent nation that was still effectively a client state of Byzantium. also the poetry and high court culture that they spend a lot of time on in Memory is pretty much directly lifted from the Byzantine system at that time.

it's definitely wrapped in a skin of Aztec stuff but i feel like it's a lot more than that

E: also while i was googling what i remembered about this i found Arkady Martine describing it herself:

describing it as fantasy client state Armenia makes me want to go back to this book.

E: rip actually investigating my ereader shows that I already finished this and forgot ><

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudanonymous posted:

What a loving monster

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I’m subbed to several SF/fantasy magazines but it’s driving me nuts that at least one of these (usually more) turns up in every single issue:

- Robots, but they inexplicably have emotions and personalities. And they’re an obvious stand-in for minorities. And everyone is a raging robot racist.
- A girl but she’s turning into a monster or a plant or an alien or energy or whatever. It’s an obvious metaphor for puberty.
- Same as above, but it’s a grown woman and it’s a metaphor for how, like, women and men can’t truly relate to each other, or a relationship breakdown, something along those lines
- Same as above, but it’s (usually) a man and it’s an obvious metaphor for depression
- Twist ending: the story took place in a simulation!
- Heaven exists but it’s in a machine just like black mirror whoaaah

I’m guessing it’s because this is most of what’s being submitted? The editors must be bored out of their skulls

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's almost as if writing wasn't just about ideas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I’m subbed to several SF/fantasy magazines but it’s driving me nuts that at least one of these (usually more) turns up in every single issue:

- Robots, but they inexplicably have emotions and personalities. And they’re an obvious stand-in for minorities. And everyone is a raging robot racist.

We've read Murderbot, you know.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jedit posted:

We've read Murderbot, you know.
When Murderbot starts turning up in every single issue, I'm subscribing to whatever it is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

sebmojo posted:

What a loving monster

There's nothing wrong with that motivation, but the post was arguing he was some kind of altruist for giving something away that he expects to make him money. Also, his post on Reddit or email or whatever about it (Sanderson's) had the same implicit lie: I want to give away Way of Kings so you have something to read because I'm a nice person.

False.

Like a lot of businesses, he's giving away something for free so you will buy more later. Most anyone who was going to read his trash has already paid for it and read it. He's hoping to rope in people who are unwilling to pay for it but might get into it and buy the rest.

Like if he was really an altruist, he'd pay Tor so you could download a good e-book for free.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Do you have the same antipathy toward every book giveaway program, or do you think Sanderson is just so uniquely terrible that it's worth multiple posts railing against his temerity to promote his own work?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

Do you have the same antipathy toward every book giveaway program, or do you think Sanderson is just so uniquely terrible that it's worth multiple posts railing against his temerity to promote his own work?

The latter, big time. I thought the Murderbot giveaway was a wonderful thing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

There's nothing wrong with that motivation, but the post was arguing he was some kind of altruist for giving something away that he expects to make him money. Also, his post on Reddit or email or whatever about it (Sanderson's) had the same implicit lie: I want to give away Way of Kings so you have something to read because I'm a nice person.

False.

Like a lot of businesses, he's giving away something for free so you will buy more later. Most anyone who was going to read his trash has already paid for it and read it. He's hoping to rope in people who are unwilling to pay for it but might get into it and buy the rest.

Like if he was really an altruist, he'd pay Tor so you could download a good e-book for free.

You know that you don't have to buy more later? :psyduck:
Just because you start a series doesn't mean that you have to finish it.
There is literally no way that Sanderson can force you to read the rest of the series.
People buying the rest of the series based on a free book have apparently found it enjoyable enough to continue.

And btw I bought and read Way of Kings, found it ok but not what I enjoy in terms of fantasy and quit the series at that point.
So in this case I would have paid for one less book in my life.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the temerity of these so-called authors, giving away books for "Free" when they actually hope you will enjoy them and purchase their other books later

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

pseudanonymous, If you don't like how TOR manages their TOR eBook of the Month Club, then contact TOR about it and stop making GBS threads up this thread with your passive aggressive posting about Sanderson.

Given how many free ebook offerings TOR has cycled through the past 30 days, it might be more accurate to rename it the TOR eBook of the Month Week Club.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I mean, there's a whole Sanderson thread to poo poo in with passive-aggressive posting...

Tangentially related: thanks to the giveaway I have finally managed to read Murderbot 3 and 4 and can't wait for the novel provided it will be priced as a novel. Murderbot is an outright adorable protagonist in a genre seriously lacking in those.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I mean, there's a whole Sanderson thread to poo poo in with passive-aggressive posting...

Tangentially related: thanks to the giveaway I have finally managed to read Murderbot 3 and 4 and can't wait for the novel provided it will be priced as a novel. Murderbot is an outright adorable protagonist in a genre seriously lacking in those.

I preordered it then saw it is about the length of two of the novellas, then canceled because I'm in a state where I want to read really long poo poo. I hope it goes on sale some day.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there an action-fantasy series that would be great reading for a Dark Souls fan? (and yeah, I'm reading Berserk, so it doesn't count)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there an action-fantasy series that would be great reading for a Dark Souls fan? (and yeah, I'm reading Berserk, so it doesn't count)

i always thought the gameplay was the appeal of dark souls, what is it that you're looking for in a book?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Which ones do you read? I'm going to subscribe to Interzone now I realise they do ebook subscriptions. You might also find this amusing, it's Strange Horizon's old list of stuff they don't want to see again: http://strangehorizons.com/submit/fiction-submission-guidelines/stories-weve-seen-too-often/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

What elements of the Dark Souls series do you enjoy?
Clarifying this will help refine the recommendations you receive.

And for pseudanonymous, why do you loathe Sanderson so much? The writing style? The Asimovian output? Sanderson debasing a favorite Intellectual Property? etc?