Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I can't believe how nobody wants this Senate seat
nooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I was born in Massachusetts, but my uncles from Odessa dunked me in a bucket of West Texas dirt to "baptize" me a Texan.

I was baptized in the murky waters of the Hockomock, Masshole 4 lyfe

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, we still have birthright citizenship.

The first thing you have to teach her is how to ask other children where they were born. If they say anything other than Texas, teach her to shake her head, laugh and call them a transplant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hId4gosmTo&hd=1

this is a serious matter

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RepDennisBonnen/status/1257343019147239437?s=20

Dennis Bonnen (CPUSA-25)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My 62 year old mother sent me a photo of her and her 70 year old husband at a restaurant having margaritas last night. Said she was happy to finally no longer be cooped up. (She did say the restaurant was mostly empty and they avoided people, but c'mon...)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My recovered cancer patient mother in law, whose brother is nearly dead from this, was out shopping Friday and Saturday for home decor

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao what in the world

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

that's not even the best part

https://twitter.com/RepDennisBonnen/status/1257343022402097152

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's true that under the texas constitution big box stores are the enforcement agency for state laws, and thus this is wholly on them.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Having lunch at a Brick House Tavern+Tap patio as I post.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Svanja posted:

Congratulations! My grandson is 9 months old now and I'm a bit tickled pink that we were both born in San Antonio.

How is her mom? Were you able to be there?

It was a >9lb birth so the mom is now walking with a cane. Everything went pretty smoothly though. They wanted to do the labor with an N95 mask but lol no. They let me in to the hospital (and only me) but there was no capacity to leave and re-enter. Rules were basically one guest for the entire stay and that's it. They were great though, and took all due COVID precautions.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Disnesquick posted:

It was a >9lb birth so the mom is now walking with a cane. Everything went pretty smoothly though. They wanted to do the labor with an N95 mask but lol no. They let me in to the hospital (and only me) but there was no capacity to leave and re-enter. Rules were basically one guest for the entire stay and that's it. They were great though, and took all due COVID precautions.

My wife just had our second baby in San Antonio a few weeks ago. They gave her a procedure mask but told her she didn't have to wear it during labor, though I was told to wear mine for the duration of our stay. I can't imagine having to wear an N95 mask during labor, I wore one while ripping out some moldy cabinets several months ago and was gasping for air during the more strenuous parts.

I was the only visitor allowed but I was surprised to find that I was able to leave and return once we got out of the L&D unit and to the postpartum unit. Most of the staff were wearing procedure masks rather than N95s; the anesthesiologist (who was the only actual M.D. we saw during the delivery) was the only one I recall with a N95. The hospital was a good bit quieter than when we delivered my first kid a couple of years ago, because they'd already halted all non-essential procedures, and (at least as of three weeks ago) they were diverting any known COVID patients across town to a different hospital in the same system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/1257376233169526786

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

I can't imagine having to wear an N95 mask during labor, I wore one while ripping out some moldy cabinets several months ago and was gasping for air during the more strenuous parts.

My parents gave me an old N95 my dad used for sanding projects since it can't be donated after use and I was already struggling to breathe just standing in line for 30 minutes at the grocery store. I was wondering if I was wearing it wrong or if it's supposed to do that but I guess it's the filter.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

My wife just had our second baby in San Antonio a few weeks ago. They gave her a procedure mask but told her she didn't have to wear it during labor, though I was told to wear mine for the duration of our stay. I can't imagine having to wear an N95 mask during labor, I wore one while ripping out some moldy cabinets several months ago and was gasping for air during the more strenuous parts.

I was the only visitor allowed but I was surprised to find that I was able to leave and return once we got out of the L&D unit and to the postpartum unit. Most of the staff were wearing procedure masks rather than N95s; the anesthesiologist (who was the only actual M.D. we saw during the delivery) was the only one I recall with a N95. The hospital was a good bit quieter than when we delivered my first kid a couple of years ago, because they'd already halted all non-essential procedures, and (at least as of three weeks ago) they were diverting any known COVID patients across town to a different hospital in the same system.

Congratulations, fellow plague-baby-haver. Yeah, the N95s are pretty suffocating (which makes sense if they're filtering to that level). She did try it to begin with but was apparently absolutely horrendous. They ended up giving her air and then oxygen through a mask and I kinda wonder why that wasn't just the first option.

ReindeerF posted:

The rest of it is just window dressing. Whatever negative stereotypes come from other people, I would be just as concerned about the urban and suburban and exurban areas, and the transplants, as I would about the rural racism. It tends to kind of mimic the northern / southern divide when it comes to racism against blacks.

There's always a "they" by the way, I have lived as a they in another country for the last 14 years. I wouldn't concern yourself with being offended by pronouns. if we didn't have a they, we wouldn't be able to politely address people who want to be called they without being gendered :-)

Ahhh, the "they" wasn't an implication other than in response to another post saying I can teach the kid some Texan secret gestures. Obviously I can't because as a non-Texan interloper, I have no knowledge of them myself.
We are in a pure-white neighbourhood, and so haven't encountered even casual racism (or xenophobia, given my British origin and general beatnik appearance) from the old folks. Everyone seems pretty stoked there's another baby on the street. I'm sure all that bad stuff is out there but so far things here are far better than the UK (where my wife was pushed out of a couple of jobs by small-minded idiots for, basically, being too brown).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

yellowyams posted:

My parents gave me an old N95 my dad used for sanding projects since it can't be donated after use and I was already struggling to breathe just standing in line for 30 minutes at the grocery store. I was wondering if I was wearing it wrong or if it's supposed to do that but I guess it's the filter.

Yeah I recall waiting tables back in college and trying to do that in a facemask and gloves - just No. Especially patio service in the heat. When I worked patio shifts at Chuys I would take five minute breaks just standing in the walk-in

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There’s no gesture, it’s just a joke about in crowds.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Things are super hosed up in the Panhandle and basically no local businesses actually opened up last week. Almost everything remains closed, or open in very limited capacity.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 4, 2020

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, I know there's no secret gesture that the Illuminated Brethren of Texas will transmit, I was just playing along with a cute idea. The loss of tone in forum posts claims another victim :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yellowyams posted:

They also get much more difficult to breathe through as they get used. Yours is probably pretty gunked up with fine dust from sanding, that stuff clogs filters like you wouldn't believe.

Also my wife's OB has said that St David's in Austin isn't requiring masks for delivery, but they are testing at admission. I'm not sure if they are testing both the mother and their guest, but I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

Yeah, I know there's no secret gesture that the Illuminated Brethren of Texas will transmit, I was just playing along with a cute idea. The loss of tone in forum posts claims another victim :(

Alright fellas, the Brit bought it. *complicated hand gesture for solidarity*

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Captain Monkey posted:

Don't be silly, of course there's a gesture, it just depends on what university the little one is destined to attend. You can learn gig em, horns up (or down I suppose) or guns up, and those are understood symbols statewide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/darlacameron/status/1257394147545223171

Daily testing increase is a huge metric because it's one of the reasons we're seeing case growth, and we've seen the infection rate decline from 10% at the start of this to about 4-5% now. It's been really hard to find that delta short of looking at Evan Smith's daily test posts and doing math but keep an eye on that figure. If infection rate continues to decrease that's a good sign.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

saintonan posted:

Don't be silly, of course there's a gesture, it just depends on what university the little one is destined to attend. You can learn gig em, horns up (or down I suppose) or guns up, and those are understood symbols statewide.

Don't forget the Shocker Shasta Paw.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Dameius posted:

Don't forget the Shocker Shasta Paw.

On days that we acknowledge that UH exists, sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sic em Bears and whatever TCU's hosed up peace sign is, too

Also A&M has four separate whoops

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A&M is a cult.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

saintonan posted:

On days that we acknowledge that UH exists, sure.

i paid alot for that degree goddammit

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sir Tonk posted:

i paid alot for that degree goddammit

But less than the gas commuting there

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

Sic em Bears and whatever TCU's hosed up peace sign is, too

Also A&M has four separate whoops

There is but one whoop and two ways to whoop it. Underclassmem only get the AAAAs.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

And the sophomore one is the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of course Ted Cruz is a loving trot

https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1257517519423909889

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

saintonan posted:

They tried telling us at UNT that what you're supposed to do is make a lil' eagle claw and go "Caw!" at people.

Never saw a single person do it outside of orientation.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
St. Edward's has goat horns, which is hook em' horns but bent.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I always knew there was something I disliked about his ideology.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I keep telling you guys SA is garbage

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1257543076228337670?s=20

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

i was headed to a delivery for a customer and I drove past the Santikos in Cibolo -- I just quietly said, "oh my god." The Santikos is god-awful here....I watch movies at the EVO literally a block away from it in Schertz.

Our EVO I think had set up an outdoor drive-in a couple times, which is actually cool.

Just completely stunned at people's willful ignorance during this whole thing. I feel like an awful person when I get that knee-jerk "won't feel bad for them when they get sick" feeling, because their collateral damage could be my parents. My parents are Trumpers and in their 70s. They've actually surprised me by being upset with the reopening and they've stayed home much more than I thought they would.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Svanja posted:

Just completely stunned at people's willful ignorance during this whole thing. I feel like an awful person when I get that knee-jerk "won't feel bad for them when they get sick" feeling, because their collateral damage could be my parents. My parents are Trumpers and in their 70s. They've actually surprised me by being upset with the reopening and they've stayed home much more than I thought they would.

Yeah, I can't let myself follow through with that vengeance of them getting sick thought because they'll take out so many other folks. My folks are also Trumpers, almost 70, but they're also shut-in prepper Mormons and apparently allergy season already kept my Dad from leaving the house. And we come from a family with health care workers (Grandma was health department nurse, surgeon uncle, general practitioner cousin, surgeon brother, hospital nurse brother), so I don't think Fox News can overcome all that...hopefully. My nurse brother who lives nearby buys all their groceries and really pushes them about staying in, but it doesn't sound like it's been a big fight.

It's always been bizarre to me that Republican lawmakers are anti-vaxx or at least neutral on vaccines in Texas as a given. In Austin, it's not a partisan issue...I see all kinds of folks who go anti-vaxx. But I was raised in an extremely pro-vaccine Republican family and got told stories about people my Mom knew with polio in the 1950s. Like, if my Grandma had been lucid in the 2000s and 2010s, she probably would've lost her poo poo at the anti-vaxx movement. She got the vaccine program started in her local health department. So the animosity towards any Republicans in txlege who are pro-vaccines by other Republicans is surreal.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Sardonik posted:

St. Edward's

Who???? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Franklins' bbq