Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
UTD is pretty much a dab.

whats smu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nothing much, what’s smu with you?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Mimicking doing a line of cocaine.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arcella posted:

Mimicking doing a line of cocaine.

Make sure you cut it with daddy's credit card.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 7, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

It's always been bizarre to me that Republican lawmakers are anti-vaxx or at least neutral on vaccines in Texas as a given. In Austin, it's not a partisan issue...I see all kinds of folks who go anti-vaxx. But I was raised in an extremely pro-vaccine Republican family and got told stories about people my Mom knew with polio in the 1950s. Like, if my Grandma had been lucid in the 2000s and 2010s, she probably would've lost her poo poo at the anti-vaxx movement. She got the vaccine program started in her local health department. So the animosity towards any Republicans in txlege who are pro-vaccines by other Republicans is surreal.

There are a lot of issues that seem like they should be entirely nonpolitical and based on unchallenged facts, but the Republicans have come out against them. They built their way up to it by being anti-science on evolution and global warming, and it dovetails nicely with the opposition they developed to healthcare as a social good. It doesn't directly endanger the profit of the big businesses they're trying to court, and insane conspiracy theorists are an important part of the current Republican base.

And this bizarre state of things is sort of a recent development in the last 10 years after the previously dominant factions within the party lost steam after W's abysmal failures left the party shattered and confused until the more radical and crazy and more explicitly racist factions took control, with the survivors outside those factions left to frantically pander to the new base that they still only vaguely understand.

And the confusing sub-party machinations are the natural result of the US's ironclad two-party system, because that's so many people under one umbrella that it's hard for a party to keep a coherent platform, and if anyone wants to add something new to the platform, they need to do some kind of weird subversive takeover from within.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

Nominally Catholic liberal arts school on South Congress. Nicknamed the Hilltoppers (personified by a mountain goat) because the school sits on the tallest hill in the city.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1257683119827832833

I wonder whose fault it's going to be when this all blows up in Abbott's face

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

the libs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

Find some way to blame it on Houston's or Austin's government

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I knew it!!!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The big city demmy-crats.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

The people who aren't praying hard enough for the virus to go away, duh.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

I mean there's an increase but I don't think I'd call it a spike. At least not yet. May 15 data is what I'm waiting for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

I mean there's an increase but I don't think I'd call it a spike. At least not yet. May 15 data is what I'm waiting for.

It's certainly not a trend line where you should start easing distancing measures

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
only god can defeat coronavius and the big city liberals made us get rid of god can you believe that!

share if you agree

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GrooganFox26/status/1257707377589194753

It seems important that hair and nail salons are the centerpiece businesses for outrage on the right, but I can't quite put it in words

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1257724266902106113

Aw, they also ruled that Briscoe Cain's mustache makes it look like he has poo poo on his lip

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 5, 2020

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Just a reminder to everyone, and let me start this by saying that this is my own experience at the hospital I work at so I don't know if other hospitals are following the same plan (I'm sure they are though, as this has to be distributor-based), but we are currently receiving ALL our major PPE supplies on monthly allocation base. If we use our supplies before the next month, and if we don't have a alternate source of supply, tough poo poo!

Before we restricted the supplies to call-down requests, we used a standard month's worth of N95 masks in 10 days (in March). Now we don't stock ANY masks or gowns in standard supply rooms, as I said they are by request only and each delivery is recorded and noted by our Director who delivers daily supply notes to his superior to keep track of total supply use at every hospital within our network. Bouffant/surgeon caps and shoe/boot covers are issued out one box per floor, again, normally each supply room is stocked with them.

Cleaning supplies are a whole other subject. Lysol? I haven't seen a single can of that since March. Alchol-based wipes and germicidal bleach wipes? We get calls from the ICUs and the ER (ER stocks EIGHTEEN bottles of total wipes on the daily) regularly for 5 to 6 bottles a call -- we can deliver ONE bottle IF we are lucky to have a couple on a shelf to last a day.

This was before the easing of restrictions last Friday.

Buckle up boys and girls!

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 5, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1257732646391578628

Enjoy your 2:30 presser bud :thumbsup:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This one has a more damning quote

https://twitter.com/OliviaMesser/status/1257761195899133953

quote:

“Listen, the fact of the matter is pretty much every scientific and medical report shows that whenever you have a reopening—whether you want to call it a reopening of businesses or of just a reopening of society—in the aftermath of something like this, it actually will lead to an increase and spread. It’s almost ipso facto.”

“The more that you have people out there, the greater the possibility is for transmission,” Abbott said on the call, which a spokesperson confirmed was authentic on Tuesday. “The goal never has been to get transmission down to zero.”

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Salons opening Friday :suicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lmao he's going to permit tanning salons, barbers and stylists to open on Friday.

Since this seems to be the chief grievance of the moron caucus, maybe they'll shut the gently caress up now

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/CBS11Andrea/status/1257769797812736008

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I assume this is the one who had armed terrorists outside daring anyone to try to close her down?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

I assume this is the one who had armed terrorists outside daring anyone to try to close her down?

I can't imagine she was the only one, but yes, that was her.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ReidRansom posted:

Whoever invented guns must feel really stupid that you can't shoot jail time or fines in the head.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ReidRansom posted:

Initially the sentence seemed wildly disproportionate, but now I'm on board.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Help me understand because I don't get why this is supposed to be damning

Bending the curve meant that you slowed it down so the hospitals weren't overwhelmed. Whenever you reopened, whether it was May or December or some time in 2021, you were definitionally going to see an uptick in cases because you didn't actually reduce the total number that were going to happen, you just spread them out over a longer period of time. I'm not saying right now is the time to reopen but isn't Abbott totally correct here?

The important thing is that when you do reopen, that the uptick isn't so big it overwhelms the hospital system like you were trying to prevent in the first place.

e: to be clear that's my understanding of how bending the curve etc was supposed to work so if that's wrong please explain

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 6, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Help me understand because I don't get why this is supposed to be damning

Bending the curve meant that you slowed it down so the hospitals weren't overwhelmed. Whenever you reopened, whether it was May or December or some time in 2021, you were definitionally going to see an uptick in cases because you didn't actually reduce the total number that were going to happen, you just spread them out over a longer period of time. I'm not saying right now is the time to reopen but isn't Abbott totally correct here?

The important thing is that when you do reopen, that the uptick isn't so big it overwhelms the hospital system like you were trying to prevent in the first place.

The bolded part is the problem. We don't have the testing and contract tracing infrastructure in place to detect upticks before they become waves and overwhelm the hospital system. We're going off of second-order data, such as number of hospitalizations, but those tend to be lagging indicators, e.g. by the time you notice an uptick in hospitalizations, even if you lock things down fully then and there, it will be too late.

Another way to think about this is that just because the curve has been bent does not mean it can't get "un-bent". For it to remain bent, things need to remain shut down.

The other thing people haven't fully grasped yet is that once you reopen things, it will be much, much harder, both economically and politically, to shut them down again a few months later. A lot of states, including Texas, will understand this sometime between July and September.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Oh I see I wasn't thinking about it in terms of detection ability. Thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1257832828705878017

Dan Patrick come get your mans

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
loving lol gyms at 25% capacity and showers and locker rooms to remain closed on may 18th

I cant wait to go back and have to deal with stinky-rear end parents angry they couldnt get a shower and had to keep all their poo poo in their car picking up their kids

at least there by definition can't be that many of them

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It also doesn't matter to the state government if people die so long as the survivors aren't angered enough to vote in a way that would shift the political balance of power.

Which I guess seems to be the republican attitude to any disaster.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fast cars loose anus posted:

loving lol gyms at 25% capacity and showers and locker rooms to remain closed on may 18th

I cant wait to go back and have to deal with stinky-rear end parents angry they couldnt get a shower and had to keep all their poo poo in their car picking up their kids

at least there by definition can't be that many of them

There's a powerlifting gym in Austin which has been getting increasingly crazy in their posts about how gyms need to be essential. There's no way they stick to the 25% rule.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
25 percent capacity is like during a week day afternoon for a gym. Not sure how they pull this off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TropicalCoke posted:

25 percent capacity is like during a week day afternoon for a gym. Not sure how they pull this off.

I continue to be really unclear what exactly the "capacity" is referring to. If it is referring to fire code capacity the whole thing is even more of a joke.

What is especially frustrating is that the incubation time for the disease is such that we really need to wait the better part of a month to see the effects of any particular change. We have almost zero way to know what effect allowing restaurants to open their dining areas has had but gently caress that full speed ahead!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

TropicalCoke posted:

To be honest I'm not even sure mine will open the child center (the part I actually work in) at that capacity but they might and limit it to like a couple dozen kids. Let me tell you if you think enforcing social distancing is hard for ornery adult Texans,

e: actually I'm glad I work in the child center though because I'm used to deep cleaning stuff; I'm sure the trainers and all those others who work there will react fine when they're told "no you can't just rely on ops to do it any more, you have to clean your surfaces after every single client uses them"

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 6, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

LLSix posted:

Initially the sentence seemed wildly disproportionate, but now I'm on board.

Her GoFundMe is up to $135k

I'd do a week in jail for a lot less than that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if rent were free, i'd probably do it for 2k a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
What's the over/under on bars opening 5/18? Wasn't that the day?

Like Shifty Pony said, we haven't even see what effects the first bit had. And with Trump being like "gently caress it, we're on to something else" and Abbott saying that he knows people will die but who cares about them... I mean, it's getting real weird and we're only like 50 days in.

I might be an alarmist, but I'm fully ready to spend the rest of the year at home.