Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Palpatine had it good. He got to kill the Jedi Order TWICE over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vinylshadow posted:

Palpatine had it good. He got to kill the Jedi Order TWICE over.

Killed off all those accursed Skywalkers, possessed a new young body, and stole their name as an ironic joke. Sheev has truly lived the dream

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rey-Sheev is going to singlehandedly rebuild the jedi and the republic again, just so s/he can destroy them again. If only we could all be so committed to a bit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I can’t imagine how bored and depressed Palpatine must have been in the post-Republic pre-Rebellion era. I think orchestrating the Clone Wars and corrupting and destroying the Jedi had have been more about the journey than the destination for him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah dooku in AOTC and kylo in TFA are really the two times where someone is just stoked to a sparring partner at first

Obi Wan is super thrilled about fighting Grievous in episode 3 as well

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

I can’t imagine how bored and depressed Palpatine must have been in the post-Republic pre-Rebellion era. I think orchestrating the Clone Wars and corrupting and destroying the Jedi had have been more about the journey than the destination for him.

Snoke was just his half-finished novel/old car he tinkered around with between trilogies. Just like how anakin had threepio, another animated skeleton covered in gold

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:yeshaha:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Snoke was just his half-finished novel/old car he tinkered around with between trilogies. Just like how anakin had threepio, another animated skeleton covered in gold

Snoke was him challenging himself. "Alright, I destroyed the Jedi order by posing as a charming, helpful senator with access to all of the Republic's resources... but can I do it as a creepy skeletal man in a tacky robe who comes out of nowhere and has a stupid name?"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
"poo poo, gently caress! It was even easier this time!"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:tviv:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

2house2fly posted:

Obi Wan is super thrilled about fighting Grievous in episode 3 as well
I just rewatched Episode 3, and it reads a lot better seeing it as the culmination of a lot of stuff from Clone Wars. After all the moves and countermoves, confrontations and narrow escapes, Obi-Wan really wants to settle it. And beat a lightsaber algorithm.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I was all prepared to write a response to the wall of text, but he’s just calling me a queer for criticizing decorated war hero Leia Organa. Lol

:chloe:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

She was decorated until an animatronic ET doll robbed her corpse to fulfill a decades-old proto-meme I guess

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

General Dog posted:

The Zillo Beast 2-parter of Clone Wars really shows Palpatine indulging himself in shameless, joyous evil. It's a terrific episode, not just for that but for being a good homage to King Kong.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

You missed him cackling and having the time of his life around a bubbling cauldron chanting spells then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The Zillo Beast 2-parter of Clone Wars really shows Palpatine indulging himself in shameless, joyous evil. It's a terrific episode, not just for that but for being a good homage to King Kong.

Not to mention Godzilla. They even uncover the Zillo beast when they're testing out a new type of bomb.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And it's the last of its kind, impervious to basically everything, and can sense that Palpatine is a Sith Lord

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do Tatooine locals think Luke murdered his aunt and uncle? It would seem awfully suspicious that they were murdered right before he ran away with a religious zealot and blew up an a military installation.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I assume they’d just blame the s*** p*****

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
nerf herder

you can't say that word. that's OUR word.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I should have waited to watch Rise of Skywalker. Now I'm going to watch it just to have something to watch with family and I'm going to have watched it twice

After I heard that there was an EU comic with a lot of flying Palpatine clones that was terrible, I had gotten the impression that at least the existence of that meant at least Disney wouldn't be trying anything with Palpatine clones. The movie would've been better if they had used a different villain in place of Palpatine, but they'd have had to have set that up in an earlier movie. I'd say that's what happens when your stories are written by three separate groups of people without coordination in a "passing around the campfire story continuation staff" improv kind of way, but I think there are TV shows that have done a lot better with that situation.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 8, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

galenanorth posted:

I should have waited to watch Rise of Skywalker. Now I'm going to watch it just to have something to watch with family and I'm going to have watched it twice

After I heard that there was an EU comic with a lot of flying Palpatine clones that was terrible, I had gotten the impression that at least the existence of that meant at least Disney wouldn't be trying anything with Palpatine clones. The movie would've been better if they had used a different villain in place of Palpatine, but they'd have had to have set that up in an earlier movie. I'd say that's what happens when your stories are written by three separate groups of people without coordination in a "passing around the campfire story continuation staff" improv kind of way, but I think there are TV shows that have done a lot better with that situation.

I completely agree with your take. Although I would point out that they already had a villain set up for the final film: Kylo Ren. It's sad because he was the dang Skywalker of this younger generation and thus should have had that much weight in the conclusion to the "Skywalker Saga" (god I hate that phrase). Lucasfilm under Disney has simply been creatively bankrupt. It scares me because all of the press before and after RoS was about moving on from the "Skywalker saga / story" and on to greener pastures, yadda yadda. But if you gently caress up the story involving the characters that are the backbone of the entire franchise -- how are you going to pull a story out of thin air and have it be worth a poo poo?

It's like tee ball vs baseball -- everything was just right there set up on a platter and they hosed it up. Even Rian Johnson's film, which was much more original and interesting than the other two... even it had problems. It felt like he was being held back and had to play it too safe, so the film ended with ATATs marching toward a rebel base on a not-snow planet.

How is Lucasfilm under Kathleen Kennedy going to invent a new story that we care about and also do a good job with it? I have zero faith in their ability to do that at this point.

I think in a few years they'll end up paying an arm and a leg for Daisy Ridley to come back to show Rey's next big adventure or whatever. They might do away with the trilogy structure and turn this into a Dragon Ball Z type situation where there's a saga / story until it resolves and some new threat crops up. That wouldn't be as torturous as dealing with my namesake yet again.

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 8, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It still feels like a weird fever dream that Disney decided to kill off all the original main characters, and in the movie The Rise Of Skywalker specifically killed the last two members of the Skywalker bloodline, neither of whom has the name Skywalker anyway

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

2house2fly posted:

It still feels like a weird fever dream that Disney decided to kill off all the original main characters, and in the movie The Rise Of Skywalker specifically killed the last two members of the Skywalker bloodline, neither of whom has the name Skywalker anyway

Hey man, Luke was jaded as gently caress in TLJ. He definitely hit up some dive bars at the Bakura Outpost. Maybe he's got a couple of younglings out there...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

I don't know if Leia's death was in the original plan and Luke's death doesn't prevent him from being a character.

Making him a force ghost is a pretty good way of keeping him around without the story having to justify why he isn't solving every problem.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

galenanorth posted:

I mean the text of the movie doesn't state that he's a clone, it's literally Literally "somehow, palpatine returned"

Kinda like they knew what they were doing was shameful lmao

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

How is Lucasfilm under Kathleen Kennedy going to invent a new story that we care about and also do a good job with it? I have zero faith in their ability to do that at this point.

I think they can still pull it off on television.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Pretty good posted:

I mean the text of the movie doesn't state that he's a clone, it's literally Literally "somehow, palpatine returned"

lmao yea but in doing so they made it even more obvious that it was all a load of lazy bullshit storytelling.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bongo Bill posted:

I think they can still pull it off on television.

I'm kind of worried that they didn't know the Mandalorian was going to be as well received as it was and now that they do, season 2 is going to be crammed with fan-pandering bullshit and 500% more baby Yoda.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm kind of worried that they didn't know the Mandalorian was going to be as well received as it was and now that they do, season 2 is going to be crammed with fan-pandering bullshit and 500% more baby Yoda.

Hate to break it to you but the entire concept of a boba Fett show is fan pandering bullshit

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m ok with a Boba Fett return if he’s a villain on the Mandolorian.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Jewmanji posted:

Hate to break it to you but the entire concept of a boba Fett show is fan pandering bullshit

On paper, sure, but they somehow managed to make a watchable show so far.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pretty good posted:

It's incredible how openly ashamed they are about bringing back Palpatine. The movie refuses to offer any explanation, because it knows any explanation will be unsatisfactory, and Disney went to far as to tip its hand that he was returning 6 months in advance just so the moviegoing public would have time to make peace with the plot point.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

On paper, sure, but they somehow managed to make a watchable show so far.

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying it, just don’t pretend that they didn’t simply crank the fan service dial to 11 the moment they announced the show. It’s pure fan service, through and through. Season 2 couldn’t have more fan service in the same way that you can’t add 1 to infinity.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying it, just don’t pretend that they didn’t simply crank the fan service dial to 11 the moment they announced the show. It’s pure fan service, through and through. Season 2 couldn’t have more fan service in the same way that you can’t add 1 to infinity.

Oh god, it could have been way worse.

Fan service is also adding in a million cameos for no reason. Season 2 is already adding Ahsoka (and thus another Force user), it could also easily add in every character from Rebels and Clone Wars missing and then pop up locations and cameos from the Old Republic and have HK-47 show up as a sidekick while the original trilogy cast rotates guest appearances every episode.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jewmanji posted:

Just what the gently caress do you think Star Wars is? Or are you one of the people who loved all the new beige blob aliens and was glad to see zero existing aliens in the sequel trilogy?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
As far as fan service goes, for me least, there's a hell of a load of difference between scenes like this:

...where it actually serves as part of the plot.

And stuff like this...

...where it's just "HEY! REMEMBER THIS?!"

Not to say the Mandalorian didn't have a few moments like that (e.g. Salacious Crumb rotisserie) but aside from Dave Filoni's episode it never felt that egregious.

If you'd told me before that an episode centred around Jawas was one of the best I wouldn't have believed you.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Why? Jawas are almost as good as ewoks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

2house2fly posted:

The answer is clones. Oops, someone got their hands on Luke's severed hand - here's a new, younger set of Skywalker twins for Rey to train. Uh oh, whatever is left of the first order kept some Kylo hairs in cold storage in case of emergency, Ben Solo is back.

Or they could just do "the Force did it", bonus points if grown up Yodito was involved. Either way, they're not done with Skywalkers, because the franchise is dead without them.