Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

You should tweet tor about this, they should be able to hook you up.

Ah never mind. I just found the link: https://read.macmillan.com/promo/murderbotshortstorypreordergiveaway/

HC preorders only. I bought it for my Kindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

I'm willing to stand corrected on this.

I just always thought the "basically 2 to one ratio" and "a bit under 2 to one ratio" that's been baked in my head for as long as I can remember would be similarly common among Europeans, or at least the ones reading American hard sci-fi.

Celsius/Fahrenheit on the other hand I would never expect anyone to have a mental picture of, that poo poo's just hosed.

Fahrenheit is a lovely metric, which in contrast to Celsius have no good translation to Kelvin. Using it in sci-fi is just bad.
The issue here is really the Anglocentric world we live in which lets conservative countries like US and UK keep their archaic metrics due to a combination of popular culture and institutional inertia.
I am almost tempted to write a counter factional story where Napoleon conquered UK and US and forced the implementation of the SI system.

Ben Nevis posted:

I've read Three Hearts and Three Lions and found it to be pretty decent and not really libertarian or anything. It suffered a little bit from being "basic" but it sort of founded the genre, so of course you'll have seen some of it's tricks before. I thought it was worth reading.

If you read a book, enjoy it, then read about the author and discover some political view of the author that you dislikes, then my conclusion would be that the authors views are not really transferred to his writing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cardiac posted:

Fahrenheit is a lovely metric, which in contrast to Celsius have no good translation to Kelvin.

(5F - 160)/9 - 273 = K.

Really, though, you should be using Rankine in that situation because it's the absolute scale for Fahrenheit. 0°R = -459.67 °F.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a foolish pianist posted:

Also, that's actually a pretty decent movie.

Edge of tomorrow is very good imo, possibly the most video game movie ever made

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

(5F - 160)/9 - 273 = K.

Really, though, you should be using Rankine in that situation because it's the absolute scale for Fahrenheit. 0°R = -459.67 °F.

From my MD software suite:
"For those who want some proof that physicists are human, the proof is in the idiocy of all the different units which they use for measuring energy." (Richard Feynman)

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Black Leopard, Red Wolf is 99p in the UK Kindle store at the moment. I've been waiting for it to drop and just picked it up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xtanstic posted:

Ah never mind. I just found the link: https://read.macmillan.com/promo/murderbotshortstorypreordergiveaway/

HC preorders only. I bought it for my Kindle.

Tor tweeted that it worked for ebooks too, and my canadian friend got it through a kobo ebook purchase. Try tweeting tor! You deserve this sweet story!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cardiac posted:

Fahrenheit is a lovely metric, which in contrast to Celsius have no good translation to Kelvin. Using it in sci-fi is just bad.
The issue here is really the Anglocentric world we live in which lets conservative countries like US and UK keep their archaic metrics due to a combination of popular culture and institutional inertia.

Fahrenheit is a really good scale for describing weather temperatures in Europe and NA at least, where 0 and 100 are good endpoints for human outdoor temperature experience. Celsius is terrible at that (the typical weather temp range in Celsius is what, about -20 to 40?), but great if only care about phase transitions of water.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

sebmojo posted:

Edge of tomorrow is very good imo, possibly the most video game movie ever made

Really the only disappointing thing is that on there are hour-long looped video cuts on Youtube of Emily Blunt's war yoga scene, but not hour-long looped video cuts of Emily Blunt shooting Tom Cruise in the face.

thatmyfetish.gif

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Just want to note that another Tom Cruise movie, Oblivion is the best unofficial movie adaption of the PARANOIA RPG that I've ever encountered.
The OUTSIDE, Friend Computer, ludicrous technology, Teela O'Malley, Clones, etc.

weight chat: this is what kicked off weight chat discussion

quote:

I: WINTER STORM

The wind came across the bay like something living. It tore the surface so thoroughly to shreds that it was hard to tell where liquid ended and atmosphere began; it tried to raise waves that would have swamped the Bree like a chip, and blew them into impalpable spray before they had risen a foot. The spray alone reached Barlennan, crouched high on the Bree’s poop raft.

His ship had long since been hauled safely ashore. Barlennan was not particularly superstitious, but this close to the Rim of the World there was really no telling what could happen. Even his crew, an unimaginative lot by any reckoning, showed occasional signs of uneasiness. There was bad luck here, they muttered—whatever dwelt beyond the Rim and sent the fearful winter gales blasting thousands of miles into the world might resent being disturbed. At every accident the muttering broke out anew, and accidents were frequent. The fact that anyone is apt to make a misstep when he weighs about two and a quarter pounds instead of the five hundred and fifty or so to which he has been used all his life seemed obvious to the commander; but apparently an education, or at least the habit of logical thought, was needed to appreciate that.

Even Dondragmer, who should have known better . . . Barlennan’s long body tensed and he almost roared an order before he really took in what was going on two rafts away. The mate had picked this moment, apparently, to check the stays of one of the masts, and had taken advantage of nearweightlessness to rear almost his full length upward from the deck. It was still a fantastic sight to see him towering, balanced precariously on his six rearmost legs, though most of the Bree’s crew had become fairly used to such tricks; but that was not what impressed Barlennan.
Mission of Gravity, @ 1953.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The Murderbot novel is out and I'm reading it.

They killed ART! :saddowns:

You fucker. I got to the part where Murderbot finds ART's backup, and poo poo is building up to get real.

EDIT: Just got to "Okay, third mom" and I'm going to hate it if this turns into a sci-fi family drama.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 6, 2020

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Murderbot's author is doing an AMA on r/fantasy https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/geiwxa/hi_im_martha_wells_and_i_write_the_murderbot/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

a foolish pianist posted:

Fahrenheit is a really good scale for describing weather temperatures in Europe and NA at least, where 0 and 100 are good endpoints for human outdoor temperature experience. Celsius is terrible at that (the typical weather temp range in Celsius is what, about -20 to 40?), but great if only care about phase transitions of water.

Okay, so, this is not the first time I have seen this argument, and I have to ask: what in the heck do you need a hundred point scale for perceptual temperature? Like what is knowing that it's 54F outside instead of 55F doing for you?

Annual temperature range here is something like 2~24 ish C and frankly I'd be happy with fewer gradations, not more.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If nothing else it's nice having the generality of "It's in the 60s" or "It's in the 70s" instead of "It's between 15 and 20"

Kind of the same thing as the "a few inches" vs "10 centimetres" in that it's just nicer for speaking, and has honestly no downsides. There are a million downsides of Imperial measurement, but I've never once in my life asked "why are we still on Fahrenheit?"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Sorry for continuing the derails. For content, I finally gave up on Reality Dysfunction. I got to a scene where three hot chicks were all hanging off the main character's dick and realized I don't like reading anything Peter F. Hamilton has to say about women, ever again.

Proceeded to start The Last Policeman and read over half of it in a sitting. Somehow much happier even though the world is deeply depressing. :unsmith:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Annual temperature range here is something like 2~24 ish C and frankly I'd be happy with fewer gradations, not more.

Yah. Where I live, temperatures vary between about -20 and +30 degrees Celsius across most years; gently caress if I can perceive any meaningful difference between for example 14 and 15 degrees. Only time we need high precision measurement Is when checking the kids for fevers, and then we're talking about digital thermometers with one or two decimal places anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Sorry for continuing the derails. For content, I finally gave up on Reality Dysfunction. I got to a scene where three hot chicks were all hanging off the main character's dick and realized I don't like reading anything Peter F. Hamilton has to say about women, ever again.

I'm 2/3rds through the second book right now and I think you made the right call. It's just a slog right now and if the whole thing ends with "oh, god did it" he can gently caress right off. Might read some of his short stories after this but at least now I know why he's not a more recognizable name.

This was my goodreads review of Reality Dysfunction a couple weeks ago:

quote:

Sort of a strange novel. Very long. The first maybe third of the novel I thought I was reading hard(ish) sci-fi because everything in space was being described in kilometers. The story gets a little bit silly and there is a lot of magic involved. I'll be reading the sequels but I'm not sure how strongly I'd recommend it. It is very white male fantasy.

I picked this up because the author wrote Sonnie's Edge for the Netflix series love/death/robots. I am glad I did, but they don't really scratch the same itch.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just finished the new Murderbot book and now I want something else fun to read.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How on earth do y'all read so fast?

I'm 42 pages into Murderbot 5 and loving it, it's just as charming as ever.

I also got a used book haul!

- Lavie Tidhar's Central Station, which was described to me as "weird sci-fi slice of life with robots"
- Frank Chadwick's How Dark the World Becomes, because Ninurta posted a wonderful Baen owl-alien cover and I need to read that book, so I'm starting with this one
- James White's Beginning Operations, which is hospital drama in spaaace
- more arriving tomorrow!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

How on earth do y'all read so fast?
They are not reading 3 other books at the same time :haw:

quote:

- Lavie Tidhar's Central Station, which was described to me as "weird sci-fi slice of life with robots"
I really enjoyed this one.
It's basically a series of interconnected (some more than others) short stories set in and around Tel Aviv, which has become a space port.
I really hope Tidhar will one day write a full novel set in that universe.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Proceeded to start The Last Policeman and read over half of it in a sitting. Somehow much happier even though the world is deeply depressing. :unsmith:

Yes! These are great. I think I actually read the second book in one day (granted, I was lying on a beach for most of it).

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Murderbot the Novel was great, really nice to have such a big chunk of murderbot at once. I feel like the next book in the universe could switch characters at this point and go deeper on some other part of the world, but idk if it would be as good without murderbot’s very specific POV.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I would love to read about the murderbot secunit uprising that is being set up.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

freebooter posted:

Yes! These are great. I think I actually read the second book in one day (granted, I was lying on a beach for most of it).

Hell yeah, these definitely feel like beach books.

One thing I want to highlight about the series is that the author thought about his main character's gimmicks. He's tall, and he has a "I like this guy" or "I don't like this guy" thing going on. It never comes up unless it feels natural. I feel like every sci-fi author writes up a list of character traits and tries to check them off every chapter. This series' author seems much more interested in the world and the big mysterys.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
edit: wrong thread

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished All The Seth Dickinson Short Stories (or at least all the ones that are freely available online and listed on his website). As is usual with short story collections it was hit and miss, but a lot more hit than miss. Particular standouts:

- "Morrigan in Shadow" is, as mentioned earlier, Freespace with the serial numbers filed off and bodes well for the quality of Blue Planet; "Morrigan in Sunglare" is a prequel but doesn't wear its origins quite so blatantly on its sleeve
- "Kumara" and "Never Dreaming (In Four Burns)" both brought me to tears
- "Testimony Before an Emergency Session of the Naval Cephalapod Command" has been posted ITT before and is still fun as hell
- "Sekhmet Hunts the Dying Gnosis: A Computation" was the one outright miss in the set, it did nothing for me
- "Economies of Force" is probably the most "I sure hope we aren't looking back at this in 20 years and going 'well, that was prescient'" story of the bunch
- "The Traitor Baru Cormorant, Her Field-General, And Their Wounds" I for some reason thought was a new story, rather than the old story that got adapted into the final chapter of Traitor Baru; it's good, but if you've read Traitor you've already read this, and if you haven't it spoils the poo poo out of the book.

If I had to pick one as my favourite, it would probably be "Never Dreaming", but there's a lot of competition for that spot.

The other seven stories not mentioned here I enjoyed reading but didn't particularly leave a lasting impression on me or have any great emotional impact.

And now it's time for MURDERBOT

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

They are not reading 3 other books at the same time :haw:

I really enjoyed this one.
It's basically a series of interconnected (some more than others) short stories set in and around Tel Aviv, which has become a space port.
I really hope Tidhar will one day write a full novel set in that universe.

I laughed, thank you.

Beginning Operations is another fix-up novel set - James White wrote a bunch of sci-fi medical mysteries and stitched them together. Fortunately he went on to write novels in the series, I hope Tidhar does the same.

I just finished reading the introduction of Beginning Operations by Brian Stableford and it was really sweet to read such an admiring tribute for James White. I didn't know he was a pacifist, especially to the point of being a standout in the military sci-fi focused market in the US - all of his stuff reflected his anti-war stances.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

EDIT: no need to hash this out in this thread

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 7, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've got rather mixed feelings on Lavie Tidhar; his books usually have really neat premises but everything I've read of his (Osama, the Bookman trilogy) just fails to live up to the idea. Don't remember ever not being disappointed with a book of his.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 7, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

Yah. Where I live, temperatures vary between about -20 and +30 degrees Celsius across most years; gently caress if I can perceive any meaningful difference between for example 14 and 15 degrees. Only time we need high precision measurement Is when checking the kids for fevers, and then we're talking about digital thermometers with one or two decimal places anyway.

Especially given that you also have wind and humidity as factors.
The only time I actually care about the decimal of a degree is when running experiments on equipment where +/- 0.5 degrees actually matters. Incidentally I have never seen anything else than Kelvin being used in physical chemistry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

boooooooooooooks

A Companion to Wolves: Read this when I was a teenager, loved the wolves, didn't grok the rest. Then I read this review last week and wanted to try it and the sequels. Really interesting stuff in here.

Plague Town: zombie nonsense, bought because it was 3$ and sounded fun

Hammer's Slammers: got the whole set for around 25$ on ebay and like, cool. This is some of the earliest modern military sci-fi, the editions are handsome, and there's a foreward by Gene Wolfe in the first volume. Hell yeah.

Starfishers: I keep optimistically thinking I'll read my Glen Cook omnibuses and then I don't, but like, the covers are so pretty and the concepts so good. Will this be the year I finish either Black Company, Darkwar, or Starfishers? Who knows, but it's fun to keep trying.

I have one more booksplosion coming either tomorrow or next week, and then I go back to rest, dormant, reading, waiting until I'm ready to purchase books again.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just finished the new Murderbot book and now I want something else fun to read.

I just finished the Penric & Desdemona short stories and they are pretty great and lightweight.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So I wound up going back to the Murderbot novellas after Network Effect, because Wells’ writing is so moreish, and I’m having a chuckle at this section in Artificial Condition:

quote:

Picking up on my reaction, ART said, What does it want?
To kill all the humans, I answered.
I could feel ART metaphorically clutch its function. If there were no humans, there would be no crew to protect and no reason to do research and fill its databases. It said, That is irrational.
I know, I said, if the humans were dead, who would make the media? It was so outrageous, it sounded like something a human would say.

“Clutch its function” is such a great line.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 7, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Incidentally I have never seen anything else than Kelvin being used in physical chemistry.

Nor in physics, when I was at university. Only masochism would drive one to use anything else if any calculations were required.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Starfishers: I keep optimistically thinking I'll read my Glen Cook omnibuses and then I don't, but like, the covers are so pretty and the concepts so good. Will this be the year I finish either Black Company, Darkwar, or Starfishers? Who knows, but it's fun to keep trying.

Of the three, Darkwar is probably the easiest to finish; it starts off slow but when it kicks off it really kicks off.

I was really excited about Starfishers because I'd read Passage at Arms first, but I found it kind of a slog. Perhaps if I had more familiarity with the source material?

Black Company I had a blast with and each individual book is a pretty quick read; there's a lot of books, though. There seems to be some debate on whether it stays good to the end or not. I enjoyed it to the last and thought it had a very satisfying ending, but it's probably worth applying the Dune Rule: if you stop enjoying it, you probably aren't going to start enjoying it again, so stop.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Got bored, re-read the Cyphernomicon FAQ out of boredom, and ......it just reemphasized for me how loving terrible Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, @1999 is.
[RANT INCOMING]...feel free to skip everything in the heavily, I repeat, heavily spoiler-ized text, I just need to vent.

The WW2 sections and characters were insanely stupid, especially if you'd read anything about cryptography or codebreaking or ciphers beforehand. For example, everything about MAGIC circa WW2 and signals and what the Cryptonomicon WW2 characters did was debunked by
David Kahn's The Codebreakers: The Story of Secret Writing, which had been around for a while (roughly 30+ years) before Cryptonomicon got published. The "modern" sections of Cryptonomicon were just bad from the lawsuit-stalker-villain to the info-dumps to the mysterious Monk Enoch Root to the Gus Tarballs knockoff character (Jagged Alliance Deadly Games reference) to the Philippines land rush to the lawsuit-stalker-villain showdown to the "Neal Stephenson has no idea how to end this story" abrupt end of sentence non-ending.
And to make it all worse, the few bits of technology cleverness inside Cryptonomicon were directly copied from the Cyphernomicon FAQ. For just one example, check out sections 18.10.2, and 18.10.3 and then read the "FBI raid on the data haven server farm" bit in Cryptonomicon.

[RANT OVER]

Anyway, the Cyphernomicon FAQ holds up decades after being released.

Question for modern fantasy and modern urban fantasy fans.
High rez scans of the Voynich manuscript have been publicly available since 2004. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
Do any series or stories use the Voynich manuscript as a part of their mythos yet?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Revenger by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXW2IUQ/

Lilith's Brood (Xenogenesis Trilogy) by Octavia E Butler - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HALOMI/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

C.M. Kruger posted:

I just finished the Penric & Desdemona short stories and they are pretty great and lightweight.

The Penric & Desdemona novellas are some of Bujold's best work. Basically, it's the Chalion setting, a temple sorcerer dies unexpectedly, so her demon goes to the nearest available host - a younger son of a poor local noble. They fight crime have adventures.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

quantumfoam posted:

Got bored, re-read the Cyphernomicon FAQ out of boredom, and ......it just reemphasized for me how loving terrible Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, @1999 is.
[RANT INCOMING]...feel free to skip everything in the heavily, I repeat, heavily spoiler-ized text, I just need to vent.

The WW2 sections and characters were insanely stupid, especially if you'd read anything about cryptography or codebreaking or ciphers beforehand. For example, everything about MAGIC circa WW2 and signals and what the Cryptonomicon WW2 characters did was debunked by
David Kahn's The Codebreakers: The Story of Secret Writing, which had been around for a while (roughly 30+ years) before Cryptonomicon got published. The "modern" sections of Cryptonomicon were just bad from the lawsuit-stalker-villain to the info-dumps to the mysterious Monk Enoch Root to the Gus Tarballs knockoff character (Jagged Alliance Deadly Games reference) to the Philippines land rush to the lawsuit-stalker-villain showdown to the "Neal Stephenson has no idea how to end this story" abrupt end of sentence non-ending.
And to make it all worse, the few bits of technology cleverness inside Cryptonomicon were directly copied from the Cyphernomicon FAQ. For just one example, check out sections 18.10.2, and 18.10.3 and then read the "FBI raid on the data haven server farm" bit in Cryptonomicon.

[RANT OVER]

Anyway, the Cyphernomicon FAQ holds up decades after being released.

Question for modern fantasy and modern urban fantasy fans.
High rez scans of the Voynich manuscript have been publicly available since 2004. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
Do any series or stories use the Voynich manuscript as a part of their mythos yet?

Simmons has a reference to it in Illium/Olympos, but he's a bad person don't buy his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Of the three, Darkwar is probably the easiest to finish; it starts off slow but when it kicks off it really kicks off.

I was really excited about Starfishers because I'd read Passage at Arms first, but I found it kind of a slog. Perhaps if I had more familiarity with the source material?

Black Company I had a blast with and each individual book is a pretty quick read; there's a lot of books, though. There seems to be some debate on whether it stays good to the end or not. I enjoyed it to the last and thought it had a very satisfying ending, but it's probably worth applying the Dune Rule: if you stop enjoying it, you probably aren't going to start enjoying it again, so stop.

Darkwar starts brutally, and whoof. I love its premise but drat if it doesn't start by kicking you directly in the gut.

Starfishers: as I understand it, you read it first because Passage At Arms is better and tighter, being focused on submarine warfare in space. Starfishers meanwhile is an interrogation of the norse myths for the first volume, then it does its own weird thing for a while.

Black Company: I've read the first one several times and enjoyed it, but I haven't cracked the second yet. I distinctly remember sitting in a hotel cafeteria starting the second one and being confused when it was about angst boy and not the company itself. I'd like to continue it and see what angst boy was actually doing, but at this point I'd have to start over again.

Glen Cook is an author I really like and respect, but his stuff is also tough to keep reading due to how bleak it can be, so I've been easily distracted from him.

On a different note I've been mixing Murderbot with James White's Beginning Operations and yoooo I love this, I love star trek hospital in space, with weird tech and an aggressively optimistic view. And an openly pacifist main character! I don't think I've EVER seen one of those before!