Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BFT: Wow, Sakai is a creep for using Fumina's likeness in his model making
Also BFT: Introducing more and more Fumina plamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Argas posted:

Sakai simply didn't ask, maybe BFT is giving Fumina royalties so she doesn't have to goof around with Team Sekai any longer to pay the bills

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Argas posted:

In fairness, Sakai did it in a fictional setting where Fumina was a real human being. Bandai is doing it in real life where Fumina is a piece of intellectual property that they own.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Trying to support local business, found a shop here that doesn't fully rip you off sideways. Given that these kits are within 10-15 bux from eachother, and assuming I want all 3 for various reasons. Which kit to support it should I get first, second and third.

MG Full Armor Unicorn - Reason: It's dope, and It's like buying a Gunpla with enough parts to fully arm like 5 other suits.
MG 00Qan[T] Full Saber - Reason: I loving love the Quanta and the difference between the normal and full saber is like 10 bux so why not. If I ever get into painting/modding I kinda wanna make a double wing/shoulder-shield 00Q and a shoulder-shieldless one just wielding the GN Sword 5
Mg Jesta Cannon (Apparently a legit one, not one of those models that is (partially) bootleg) - Reason: It's like Warmachine is an MS, and it's a P-Bandai release so could be a good snipe.

Also likely picking up an MG Age1.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 30, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

Trying to support local business, found a shop here that doesn't fully rip you off sideways. Given that these kits are within 10-15 bux from eachother, and assuming I want all 3 for various reasons. Which kit to support it should I get first, second and third.

MG Full Armor Unicorn - Reason: It's dope, and It's like buying a Gunpla with enough parts to fully arm like 5 other suits.
MG 00Qan[T] Full Saber - Reason: I loving love the Quanta and the difference between the normal and full saber is like 10 bux so why not.
Mg Jesta Cannon (Apparently a legit one, not one of those models that is (partially) bootleg) - Reason: It's like Warmachine is an MS, and it's a P-Bandai release so could be a good snipe.

The Jesta's P-Bandai, so it's harder to get, and it's the best base kit. Definitely make it the priority.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

MG 00Qan[T] Full Saber - Reason: I loving love the Quanta and the difference between the normal and full saber is like 10 bux so why not.

Having built the base versions of all 3 of those I'd go Jesta, Qant, Unicorn FA.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I gotta say, the Full Saber kinda sucks. The sword is so wide it's almost impossible to pose the thing holding it

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Snagging up that Jesta and maybe just a normal quant down the line.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I’ve noticed with some colored plastic it has like a finish on it and sanding/cutting can remove it and leave the piece looking weird. I’m about to do the gold Thousand Sunny and really don’t want that to happen. Any tips?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Unmature posted:

I’ve noticed with some colored plastic it has like a finish on it and sanding/cutting can remove it and leave the piece looking weird. I’m about to do the gold Thousand Sunny and really don’t want that to happen. Any tips?

On special finish kits like that, there's not really a way to completely avoid it. Just try to minimize the cutting marks as much as possible. Cut the pieces off the sprue a little bit away from the piece itself. The do a second cut right flush with the piece to get the little bit of sprue off. That reduces stress on the piece when you cut it so there's less discoloration, and makes it easier to get a close clean cut. A brand new pair of sharp nippers can't hurt, especially if your current pair has built a few kits already.

If you have a gold marker that's the same shade, you might be able to minimize the appearance of the marks with that. But first test it out on a part you won't be able to see when the kit is finished.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gripweed posted:

On special finish kits like that, there's not really a way to completely avoid it. Just try to minimize the cutting marks as much as possible. Cut the pieces off the sprue a little bit away from the piece itself. The do a second cut right flush with the piece to get the little bit of sprue off. That reduces stress on the piece when you cut it so there's less discoloration, and makes it easier to get a close clean cut. A brand new pair of sharp nippers can't hurt, especially if your current pair has built a few kits already.

If you have a gold marker that's the same shade, you might be able to minimize the appearance of the marks with that. But first test it out on a part you won't be able to see when the kit is finished.

Hmm I might be able to find a gold sharpie somewhere. Maybe even being very light and careful with a yellow one could help too. Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unless they undergated the coated parts (NG Akatsuki a couple of others I don't remember off the top of my head have done this) special coating kits always look like rear end due to the nub marks and there's not a whole lot you can do about it besides try to touch it up with a marker or paint pen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Been fiddling with some of the kits, and I get what they were going for with the Heavyarms Ver. EW belt-fed chaingun, I do, I get they wanted to make it have a flexible belt feed from drum to gun, but this thing is maybe the worst designed model kit piece I've ever seen. I've glued the ends of it in place multiple times and every time they break off with the greatest of ease if put under even the slightest stress. Not having any way for the ends of the inner flexible wiring to properly "click" into the end pieces just leads to it popping out and all the belt feed bits flying off into who knows where. It's the worst, because outside of that and not having a specifically molded hand to hold the gun itself, the kit is fantastic. It's such a drat shame they flubbed that part.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Has anyone worked with photoetch parts before? I picked up some for the MG Barbatos, should I put these on before or after the top coat?

I've hand painted some details on the innerframe and put on some waterslides and I'm about to put on some gloss to seal it in before doing the panel lining. Should I glue on the metal stuff on new or after the final topcoat?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot:

https://imgur.com/a/3Cfp8zv

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Veotax posted:

Has anyone worked with photoetch parts before? I picked up some for the MG Barbatos, should I put these on before or after the top coat?

I've hand painted some details on the innerframe and put on some waterslides and I'm about to put on some gloss to seal it in before doing the panel lining. Should I glue on the metal stuff on new or after the final topcoat?

Traditionally speaking, photoetch parts go on in the prep stage and get painted over.

I would glue them on before the topcoat though, it's very difficult to get enough glue on to secure them firmly without overrun so you may need to do some cleanup.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

God, this is my favourite kind of vehicle that shows up in robo/mecha stuff all the time. Like, what could it even DO besides drilling two holes exactly the length and diameter of its drills? Bless it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Diet Poison posted:

God, this is my favourite kind of vehicle that shows up in robo/mecha stuff all the time. Like, what could it even DO besides drilling two holes exactly the length and diameter of its drills? Bless it.

I wouldn't want to be the monster it drills into and then runs over

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

In the show it's shown to be able to burrow through the ground. Don't think about it too hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
clearly the DRILL FINS twirl a wave of ground out of the way in a spiral pattern big enough for the mole robots to fit through, you fools

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

clearly the DRILL FINS twirl a wave of ground out of the way in a spiral pattern big enough for the mole robots to fit through, you fools

You're not even wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0oq7Hcz_-4

Skip to 49 seconds.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

TaurusOxford posted:

You're not even wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0oq7Hcz_-4

Skip to 49 seconds.

You will skip nothing and watch all of the great robot goodness that is GGG, god damnit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Rabiot is really nice, I'm looking forward to using it as a base for all the leftover 30MM stuff I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaYoIKPVX30

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Currently working on a Casval Custom Epyon

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 7, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is this the same one that says it’s up for preorder everywhere? Is it just a new printing of the one release years ago?

Bandai #01 RX-78-2 Gundam 1/144, Real Grade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KX5OXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.EXSEb5FYSVRZ

The one up for preorder: https://www.usagundamstore.com/prod...yxoC6dsQAvD_BwE

What I’m saying is should I buy this or is there a better RG RX-78-2

Edit: NVM they look different. I want to order it but I’m wary of ordering from USA Gundam right now because I still haven’t received my EVA Unit 01

Unmature fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 6, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Is this the same one that says it’s up for preorder everywhere? Is it just a new printing of the one release years ago?

Bandai #01 RX-78-2 Gundam 1/144, Real Grade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KX5OXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.EXSEb5FYSVRZ

Edit: NVM they look different. I want to order it but I’m wary of ordering from USA Gundam right now because I still haven’t received my EVA Unit 01

USAGS fucks up sometimes but has gotten better. Don’t hold the RG Eva against them, it’s a global shortage similar to the PG Unicorn at its release. I’m still waiting on mine from HLJ on a preorder from last fall.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Midjack posted:

USAGS fucks up sometimes but has gotten better. Don’t hold the RG Eva against them, it’s a global shortage similar to the PG Unicorn at its release. I’m still waiting on mine from HLJ on a preorder from last fall.
It seems to be a weird situation all around with COVID as well. I was lucky enough to get a RG Eva, but in the store I went to I had to get the set with the transport platform; They did not get the standalone models.

Likewise, I ordered a RG Crossbones from HLJ shortly before EMS stopped doing shipments to US. Last I checked it was still in a post office in Japan.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 6, 2020

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Unmature posted:

Looks like you're comparing an older RG with the upcoming HG Origin RX-78-2

Edit: there's only the one RG version, as far as I know. I haven't built it, but those early RGs don't have the best reputation (excepting the MKII, which I've heard is solid)

Napoleon Nelson fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 6, 2020

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I heard all the same things about the RG 78-2 but had no trouble at all with mine. Maybe I got lucky?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I put off building the RG Sinanju for so long as people kept on saying it was fragile and a hand grenade. I built it last year and had no problems with it whatsoever.

I guess you just have to be gentle with the things and if something doesn't go in easy don't try and force it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I didn't have a problem building the RG Sinanju (it was actually my first RG, and one of my first models period), I just had a lot of trouble posing it because the accessories don't want to stay on and the frame isn't strong enough to hold everything up.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Finished snapping together the RG Sazabi a few minutes ago. For some reason I had a really hard time following the instructions for some reason. I'm not quite sure why but it seemed like a lot of the illustrations weren't great or very accurate or maybe just were too small to have enough detail to pick out stuff like "oh this peg and this hole go together." Can't wait to get it detailed up and posed and on a stand and waiting for the RG Nu Gundam that's going to live right next to it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

1/144 on the left, 1/100 on the right. That's more of a difference than I was expecting.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Since I have so much time on my hands lately I decided to dust off my old Lupus Rex ,that was in my spare parts bin, and kitbash it with the MG Barbatos.

So far so good. Only real issue was some super glue leaking on one of the ankle joints so now it's stuck. I'm missing a bunch of parts so I'm gonna have to figure out what to use to replace them.

Before that I kitbashed an old 6th form, just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

mllaneza posted:

1/144 on the left, 1/100 on the right. That's more of a difference than I was expecting.

There's a bit of disparity between those two suits though as well. The Kampfer is 17.7m tall where the Stein is like 22.6m so the size difference is a little exaggerated.

To show the difference another way, the 1/100 MG f91 2.0 is half a cm shorter than the 1/144 RG Sazabi.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 7, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or in the other direction, a 1/144 Nu and a 1/100 F91 should be almost exactly the same height

E: f, b

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mllaneza posted:

is that a REALLY BIG robot on the shelf in the background above the western digital box?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Currently working on a Casval Custom Epyon

You know, I never really put it together that if you removed the red coloring and the huge head fins, the Epyon does have the classic gundam head.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain Invictus posted:

is that a REALLY BIG robot on the shelf in the background above the western digital box?

Good eyes !

There is in fact a ComicCon exclusive Cylon Warrior back there. Amongst other things that aren't robots/mobile suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, I thought I could see like, light grey bell-bottom leggings of some sort of giant zaku or a pacific rim figure or something.

never been a fan of the spindly cylons, always preferred the dopey clearly-guy-in-a-suit ones. :v: