Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's simultaneously crazy and amazing that patriotism in America basically means you hate th government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

abigserve posted:

It's simultaneously crazy and amazing that patriotism in America basically means you hate th government

But love it’s leader!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

Thanks vita-chat for reminding me to pop one of the Airborne immune booster pills I started stockpiling in March before this whole thing really took off

i just checked and there’s no vitamin d in them
But I eat eggs and toast p much every day since I started working from home

You know those don’t do anything, right? Even if they had some kind of effect, a “boosted” immune system is called an allergic reaction and you don’t want that.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
got into an argument with the inlaws about CoVid. We live in New Jersey. They refuse to admit that they themselves have a real risk of getting ill, their niece got it, they knew a peer that got it and DIED AT 52, AND family members work in hospitals.

I think the common strand here is that Conservatives, especially boomers that they themselves alone are the protagonists of reality. they have no obligation to others, their community, and anyone that isn't immediately connected to them. disgusting.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

This country went from helping defeat the Nazis and trashing Imperial Japan to not being able to loving sit inside for two months. Whenever I tell the flag wavers that they get VERY angry.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

numberoneposter posted:

i dont live in america :smug:

to be serious i live in the most south west corner of canada and we shut down hard in early april and properly. we live on an island and we aint got no tourism this year.

ignore my own set of circumstances. if its safe in your area would you not exploit that window? i have the imperial college covid-19 paper here. its not pretty, but what do you do? i think the term is "adaptive triggering of suppression strategies"

Do you live on loving pelee island? From what I understand there should be loads of alcohol to keep you sanitary and germ free.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

How am I supposed to tell apart Burt Sexual and Bart Sensual? Has this whole world gone topsy turvy?

Why do you think you need to?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ilmucche posted:

Do you live on loving pelee island? From what I understand there should be loads of alcohol to keep you sanitary and germ free.

Guessing one of the islands off Vancouver Island in BC.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

shut up netface posted:

got into an argument with the inlaws about CoVid. We live in New Jersey. They refuse to admit that they themselves have a real risk of getting ill, their niece got it, they knew a peer that got it and DIED AT 52, AND family members work in hospitals.

I think the common strand here is that Conservatives, especially boomers that they themselves alone are the protagonists of reality. they have no obligation to others, their community, and anyone that isn't immediately connected to them. disgusting.

I've also seen this and I'm going all Occam's razor on this now. I used to think it was just a difference of experience or perspective. But here it is: they're really, really loving stupid and mean. That's it! That's also why religiosity is so big with this cohort: if they didn't fear divine punishment, they would literally do whatever the gently caress they wanted to anyone (and they're afraid of everyone treating them like they'd like to treat everyone else without it.)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
CNN has a chyro that says the head of the cdc is under quarantine lol

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

abigserve posted:

Ambrose Bierce posted:

PATRIOT

-n.

One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerors.

PATRIOTISM

-n.

Combustible rubbish ready to the torch of any one ambitious to illuminate his name.

In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

A governmental agency released predictions for if Montreal opened up in the next few weeks and they estimate around 150 daily deaths in the city by June, and that number -excludes- the deaths in CHSLD's. (our long-term care homes for the elderly, which are going through an absolutely catastrophic storm of cases and deaths, both patients and staff)

Thankfully the "OPEN UP" people seem fewer here than in the US. The consensus seems to be this is a terrible idea, we can't open up so soon, wtf are you thinking, etc. It wasn't long ago that our premier started flaunting the idea of opening up schools by May 4th... that led to quite the reaction.

Elementary schools are somewhat opening up it seems but in the rest of Quebec, while it's getting more and more clear schools just cannot open up in Montreal anytime before september. High schools are closed and will not re-open before summer (that's Quebec-wide). Basically every day we hope the premier doesn't announce something stupid again and keeps poo poo CLOSED. Citizens organizing (with some deputies joining in) to pressure the Quebec government to not remove the police checkpoints between regions and keep them closed off from one another. (never thought I would type something like this)

Just got back from the groceries and it's about 50-50 mask/no mask. I've yet to encounter someone going all "muh rights" or anything like that, except the very first day of panic shopping back in mid-march­.

The general mood is a fairly resilient one, with the vast majority abiding by the restrictions. Thankfully, the Montreal "re-opening" got pushed back for the 3rd time to May 25th. I can only hope it gets pushed back again.

And goddamn it I want eggs. Everything else seemed fully stocked.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 10, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Blistex posted:

Guessing one of the islands off Vancouver Island in BC.

Ah probably. I consider that "the west" but southwest would be ontario because it's more south.

Country real wide, make things hard.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

is anyone ITT planning to fly within the next few months or directly know someone who is?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Canada's "active" and "recovered" cases are neck and neck at ~31k. Bing's saying ~75 new cases today, and 1300 recovered.

:v: time to absolutely pack ourselves into a garden centre or hardware store.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Blistex posted:

Canada's "active" and "recovered" cases are neck and neck at ~31k. Bing's saying ~75 new cases today, and 1300 recovered.

:v: time to absolutely pack ourselves into a garden centre or hardware store.

75 new cases in Canada cant be right.. Ontario alone said 350 or so today

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

is anyone ITT planning to fly within the next few months or directly know someone who is?

My wife and I had a korean roommate until recently but she just moved to Vancouver because she found a job there.

So we gave her a lift to the airport which was eerie as gently caress. The 3 of us were the only people we saw in the terminal besides staff at Air Canada ticket/luggage counters.
The airport parking was empty. We actually got a phone out to record a video inside the parking, we couldn't believe the only thing we could hear was birds.

Montreal International Airport. We only heard birds.

Needless to say, our goodbye's were fairly short. Roommate didn't have to wait in any line to go through.

I was worried on the way to the airport... until we got there, basically.

e: Also looking at the departure screens and seeing 3 loving flights. Should've taken pictures of that!

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 10, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Yes.

A friend is under contract to sell his house. He plans to drive a moving truck a 1000 miles, then fly back to pick up his car a few days later. He lacks the... ability to tow without problems. Safety first and all that jazz. I don't know what kind of blood magick voodoo he did to find a buyer, he listed about a week before this all poo poo started here in March. Listed it, 6.6mil unemployed the next week. He had to come down on his price about 4% to take the offer. Still overpriced.

Also one of my neighbors is doing the thing where she's talking about cheap flights here and there. Went to San Diego a few weeks ago, going somewhere again next weekend. Actually, there are plenty of idiots like that in my apartment complex.

I'm not going anywhere. Just hanging out with my dog and cat, watching the weeds grow.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I ask because I might roll the dice and buy a ticket for August. Just don't want to be a dipshit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I would if I'm allowed to wear my full-face respirator without ever having to take it off in the airport/plane, but I assume that isn't the case?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Isn't it a misery to wear a respirator for that long? I can wear mine for like 2 hours before it gets insanely humid inside and CO2 builds up

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

My idiot buddy and his wife bought a non-refundable trip to Hawaii from Nashville for June 1 - 7 on the logic that it was half the price it normally was and it looked like this was settling down. :downs:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Yes. I know someone who has tickets for a flight this upcoming Friday. I'm just like... good luck with that!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I used to,travel,a lot. Like twice a month. I’ve got two ff accounts with over a million miles. Thankful that slowed down and no travel is allowed now anyways per corporate.

I’ve also got roni cruise and airline credits which I fully expect to swallow the cost, as I’m done w that poo poo. There will be like two major airlines left after all said and done.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

I used to,travel,a lot. Like twice a month. I’ve got two ff accounts with over a million miles. Thankful that slowed down and no travel is allowed now anyways per corporate.

I’ve also got roni cruise and airline credits which I fully expect to swallow the cost, as I’m done w that poo poo. There will be like two major airlines left after all said and done.

My parents were scheduled for a cruise in early April, they cancelled and got a credit for another cruise, I don't remember when... might be in the fall.

They go on a cruise almost every year. I think my mom is terrified enough of the virus (as she is of literally everything) that they just won't go again. I can only hope.

Both in mid to late 60's, gently caress that sailing petri dish bullshit.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

In Alaska, the main regional carrier Ravn Air has collapsed, their assets have been seized and i think the state is now preparing to run them somehow. A lot of the rural communities now have limited access to medical care, basic supplies, mail etc.

Could be the rest of us next

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

Isn't it a misery to wear a respirator for that long? I can wear mine for like 2 hours before it gets insanely humid inside and CO2 builds up

I got one of the full face 3M masks with these Advanced P100 filters (you can buy them from Amazon without restriction right now): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHH94/

It never fogs up even when I spent a few hours biking in 70-degree weather, and those filters are super easy to breathe through, like nothing's there.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

75 new cases in Canada cant be right.. Ontario alone said 350 or so today

Bing!!!!

Checked another source and it said +1500 :(

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

My brother's long-term girlfriend is flying to Orlando soon for a PA dermatology clinical rotation and my brother will probably be visiting her for long weekends while she's there. They live in the Detroit area. That's about it.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Earwicker posted:

im guessing that's only true regionally as several of my friends in the UK have said the rules are barely being followed at all

From what I've seen personally and heard (via nextdoor and similar) there are a lot of people taking little notice here in the UK. Very few mask-wearers about outside, although that is slowly increasing, and loads of people having friends over for BBQs and whatever, with no obvious social distancing. A bunch of people having family visiting frequently from other households (not sitting outside), etc.

My 21-year-old niece has had several sets of friends invite her over for drinks etc, so it's not just "olds" ignoring the restrictions. And this is way before there was any hint of relaxing restrictions on Sunday.

On the plus side, most people are keeping well away from each other when walking/exercising, so that's something at least!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/1259273942021419008

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

drat, over here people are calling the cops if there's an hint that you're hosting people over.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
People in my residential neighborhood just walking around outside without masks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We are on a schedule to slowly reopen after two months of all non-essentila businesses being closed. Our infection rates have been pretty good for a country of our size and geographical position, so I'm excited to see if the second wave theory applies.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a coronavirus challenge amongst kids like the tide pod thing where you deliberately get the virus and try to survive it.

Well, actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSslPwV3Oc

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Shaocaholica posted:

People in my residential neighborhood just walking around outside without masks.

So Cal and same

It's a real disappointment. The worst is the joggers right by the house all drat day and the 2 little kids that bike all day up and down our street. They live 3 units down and I guess they are allowed nowhere else. Mom insisted the garden we are planting be right next to the 6 ft wall that separates us from the busy sidewalk right on the other side. So ? 10 ft from joggers, maybe 12. With all my precautions if it's as contagious as I think we are doomed.

Hope not, not sure tbh

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/jfkeeler/status/1259191903460814849?s=20

naem
May 29, 2011

are gas stations open? would it be possible to drive long distances right now? like across the country

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

naem posted:

are gas stations open? would it be possible to drive long distances right now? like across the country

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I really doubt you’re going to get the plague being 10’ away from joggers outdoors.