Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ooh and tie it all into a thread favorite

https://twitter.com/demomaven/status/1258566859122753541?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kitty ruined my retirement fund!

Does this person not know closed top litter boxes exist? And cat poo poo smells like death, who the hell keeps the box in (what is apparently) a living area.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

she has a gofundme but is only a fraction there

meanwhile the texas salon karen gets half a million for defying court orders and get out of jail free card for said defiance

https://www.gofundme.com/f/shelley-luther-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

quote:

Hello all!

Currently Shelley is in JAIL as of yesterday.

Lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the governor literally changed the law to pop her rear end out

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Does this person not know closed top litter boxes exist?

No.
I don't know much about owning cats but

quote:

And cat poo poo smells like death, who the hell keeps the box in (what is apparently) a living area.

that's...weeks worth of poo poo. Like huge disgusting massive amounts of cat poo poo. You can literally smell it on the OP when they walk into the room. Like even I, a person that has never and will never own a cat realizes, that's an absolutely disgusting display of laziness. Like I'm loving gagging when I first saw that it's so full.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1258614371716075521?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

7 Personal Finance Lessons from Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I've been playing with my kid and using it to impart some personal finance lessons.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons has been out for almost a month.

The game is a life simulation that takes place on a deserted island. You arrive and use the island’s colorful natural resources to create a brand new town and community. The game features a cast of friendly animal characters and gives players daily tasks to complete.

But playing Animal Crossing is more than just cathartic. It can also inspire some interesting conversations about economics and real world finances.

quote:

Your Mortgage Isn’t Everything

Tom Nook is the first character you meet in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. He helps you build your first house and gives you a mortgage to pay it off. Over time, you’ll add new rooms and extensions to your house that rack up even higher mortgage costs (albeit at a zero-percent interest rate). When all is said and done, it’s possible to sink millions of Bells into growing your small mansion.

quote:

But getting wrapped up in only paying down your debt isn’t fun. It’s important to travel, hang out with friends, and learn new skills. As you spend more time in the game, you’ll realize that building a bigger house isn’t everything.

quote:

Your mortgage is imaginary money. If you can keep your monthly income up with your monthly payments, then the actual cost of your mortgage doesn't matter.

quote:

Investing in the Stalk Market

Animal Crossing introduced a mock stock market in its newest version. Known as the Stalk Market, it can be a lucrative way to make extra Bells.

The idea is simple. You buy turnips from a town visitor named Daisy Mae every Sunday. Her turnip price fluctuates week to week, so there’s no telling what she’ll sell them for.

quote:

You can then potentially sell them for a profit at the Nook shop. But the price they’re willing to pay also varies. Timmy and Tommy give two prices for turnips daily; once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

If you sit on your turnips too long, they’ll rot and become worthless. So you have to strike while the iron’s hot. Unfortunately, it’s hard to know when the best time to buy and sell is. Turnip prices always fluctuate and the Nook boys may not be in the mood to pay a premium for your crop.

Like real stocks, it’s nearly impossible to time the market. But if you’re lucky, you can make a big profit when the market swings in your favor. If you’re not careful though, you stand to lose it all.

quote:

The stalk market teaches you to be smart. Get in and get out when you have a profit. Don't hold onto it hoping for greener pastures.

quote:

Budgeting Like a Nook

Nook Miles are a secondary currency in Animal Crossing New Horizons. Arguably, they’re more important than Bells.

But Nook Miles, like money, are hard to come by. Spending them all on plane tickets means that other areas of your financial life take a backseat.

Animal Crossing has done a great job creating a real life budgeting system within the game. Working hard to collect miles you spend on upgrades takes time. It’s important you spend your miles wisely!

quote:

Sell Your Old Stuff

Animal Crossing’s entire ecosystem is built on selling things you make and find. Often, you’ll find seemingly useless junk everywhere.

From trash you find in the ocean to nick nacks you can’t find a good place for in your house, stuff is abundant.

Selling this extra stuff can net you some Bells to pay down your mortgage or upgrade your lifestyle.

You’ve probably got a lot of old stuff in your garage, closets, or attic. Sort through it and see if you can sell any of it on eBay or Facebook Marketplace for some extra cash!

quote:

Hard Work Always Pays Off

Hard work and consistency pay off in the game. Daily chores and tasks can yield new items, goodies, and regular crafting supplies.

This routine is a cornerstone of the game’s mechanics. It is the best way to progress forward in building out your island.

quote:

You Can’t Win—And That’s Great

Finally, one of the most endearing parts of Animal Crossing is that you can’t ever win. The gameplay is infinite and there are always new surprises to find.

When you stop comparing yourself to your neighbors, you find happiness in what you already have. Enjoy the little things like a fresh peach or pear and don’t worry about the types of trees your neighbors have. Unless they’re money trees…

quote:

You can also take real life economic lessons from other video games. I played a virtual horse game online and learned how to buy and flip horses for millions in profit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/g0wh96/finding_personal_finance_lessons_in_animal/

My wife is a child. How can I best trick her? Talking to her directly like an adult is NOT an option.

Thanks in advance.

quote:

Does anyone have any Animal Crossing themed Personal Finance tracking sheets?

I'm in a partnership where we have one person that takes the lead on looking after our finances (me) and one partner that isn't interested whatsoever (my wife). That's fine, we all have different interests, and we work together well enough so it's not a problem).

Recently, we started playing Animal Crossing for the Switch. My wife probably hasn't played a video game for close to 10 years, and has just fallen in love with this game. One of her favourite things to do, bizarrely enough, is run around collecting bugs and fish, sell them at the general store, and then immediately run to the ATM to use those funds to pay down her home loan. It's quite adorable!

I figure this is also a change to get her interested in our own personal finances - for example, maybe creating a wall chart with a tree that has coins in it's branches (representing $1K) and money bags around the base (representing $10K), and we use that to visualise our home loan. As we pay the loan off, we colour in the coins / bags until the picture is complete. I realise the time horizon for paying off a home loan in real life is very different to in the game, so I'm sure there are even better examples.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/fsw6ox/does_anyone_have_any_animal_crossing_themed/

Animal Crossing is teaching a disturbing amount of adults about finances.

quote:

Videogame finances... Can I do this in real life?

I wasn't taught finances in school or by my parents, but in a game I play called "animal crossing: new leaf" you get a bank account for free and you can deposit money (a.k.a "bells") into it whenever you want.

Since the start of the game, at the end of each day I'd keep 1000bells in my wallet and deposit everything else, usually more than 50,000bells.

Every month they send me a letter telling me how much I've earned in interest this month. Now I've been playing for a couple of years and I have never touched the money I put in my bank account, so I have like 3,000,000+bells in it. I'm earning 18,000 in interest.

Would it be possible for me to do something similar to what I do in Animal Crossing in real life?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 9, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That last post has to be troll, right? How do you not know saving accounts exist? :psyduck:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HardDiskD posted:

That last post has to be troll, right? How do you not know saving accounts exist? :psyduck:

To be fair*, his post history seems to indicate that he is 18 and from Argentina. Maybe savings accounts are less popular in Argentina?

Still, at 18 I don't know how you think that a savings account only exists in video games.

*Using the broadest definition of "fair" possible.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

To be fair*, his post history seems to indicate that he is 18 and from Argentina. Maybe savings accounts are less popular in Argentina?

Still, at 18 I don't know how you think that a savings account only exists in video games.

*Using the broadest definition of "fair" possible.

lol, Argentina makes that a different story. The inflation there has probably left a lot of people distrustful of savings accounts.

BWM content - making "risk-free interest" by speculating in foreign currencies

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2016/05/02/high-interest-offshore-savings-account/

quote:

In today’s report, I am going to explain how I have recently made approximately 17% interest in a risk-free offshore savings account here in Georgia.

In this case, I had already set up a personal bank account, but I had also heard that the banks here offer high interest rates in the local currency, so I decided to go into the bank and talk to my banker. I told him I was ready to take some dollars and put them in the local currency to take advantage of the high interest.

I opened a one year term deposit that I can add money to. It’s like a term deposit in that you’re locked in for a year, but within a year you can add more money. The account came with a prorated interest rate of 10.5%, plus a 0.2% bonus for doing it online.

Even better, one of my team members who is less risk-averse than I am decided to invest their money for a three year period and will earn 14%.

Now, up to this point in the story, I have secured 10.7% interest. So where did the rest of my interest come from?

To fully understand this next step in the process, it’s important to note that banks here charge higher conversion rates for the dollar. It’s usually somewhere between 1.5% and 2%. However, you can easily find a place that will make the exchange for you where the spread is 0.2%. In that case, you could convert $2,000 and only pay $4 to do so.

The Colombian peso gained 10% in two months. It’s still way down against a year and a half ago, but it’s gained 10%. So has the Turkish lira.

Before I opened my term deposit account, I thought Georgia would sit at its low a little while longer. When I was here two years ago the exchange rate was at 1.7; back in February of this year, it was at 2.48, a 45% drop in value. I figured it probably wouldn’t go to 3%, but I imagined it would stay at that rate for a little while longer.

My mistake. I didn’t get in at the bottom with 2.48%; however, I did get in at about 2.37%. And I figured that, even at that rate, it would be a solid long term, and even mid-term, investment.

I was right.

The exchange rate is now at 2.22, which is an increase of 6.33% from when I bought in, making my total interest gained to this point over 17%.

What’s even better is that in the next nine months or so that I have left on my term deposit, that number could go even higher still. Even if it were to go down to just 2.1, my overall interest earned would be 22%.

And that’s not unreasonable conjecture.

In the southern hemisphere, Argentina has high interest rates on deposits, but there are a lot of negative factors that would keep me from truly suggesting Argentina as a good place to invest.

First, up until just recently, you had a nut job running that place and you couldn’t even take your money out. Second, inflation. Sure, interest rates of 22% sound great, but the official inflation rate is at 10% (and the street inflation rate is who-knows-what!).

Taking all that into consideration, 22% becomes pretty unattractive.

What possible risk could there be to this scheme?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 9, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The lesson they should be taking from AC is that the 1% Nook family is keeping them down and their next crafting item should be a guillotine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Midjack posted:

The lesson they should be taking from AC is that the 1% Nook family is keeping them down and their next crafting item should be a guillotine.

The whole game concept is that you were human trafficked onto the island and immediately saddled with a bunch of debt that you have to work to pay off. You can never go home and you can only spend your money at the company store!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I for one look forward to gamers getting radicalized after realizing how hard it is IRL to have money left over at the end of the month for saving, and how little they actually make off that saving.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

greazeball posted:

The whole game concept is that you were human trafficked onto the island and immediately saddled with a bunch of debt that you have to work to pay off. You can never go home and you can only spend your money at the company store!

There was an amazing Let's Play to that effect years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2666800

The images are long dead though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Runcible Cat posted:

There was an amazing Let's Play to that effect years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2666800

LP Archive has your back: https://lparchive.org/Animal-Crossing/

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Champagne at the bit

:perfect:

Still going strong on your posting career turnaround!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oh hell yeah! Thanks!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

:laffo: just what I needed, thanks!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm surprised this wasn't RobinHood

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if you haven't read this btw
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035535936921601?s=20

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035537727938561?s=20

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035542631088128?s=20
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035544615014403?s=20
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035547504881664?s=20
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035552877793280?s=20

Fhqwhgads posted:

"uh bye"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Fhqwhgads posted:

"oof haha sry bout that good luck"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Will they refund him or something given that their bug meant they were pretty much lying about this price to him?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OK, let's split the difference and call it an even 5 mil :v:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Will they refund him or something given that their bug meant they were pretty much lying about this price to him?

quote:

Customers will be made whole, Peterffy said. “We will rebate from our own funds to our customers who were locked in with a long position during the time the price was negative any losses they suffered below zero.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-08/oil-crash-busted-a-broker-s-computers-and-inflicted-huge-losses?srnd=premium

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain why he suddenly lost 9 million. He was buying contracts at what he thought were a penny a piece, but were actually $-30. Wouldn't that make his costs less? If the price going down encouraged him to buy more then why is the cost going negative costing him more?

Also weren't oil futures so cheap because it was costing more to transport and store that oil in the short term than it was worth? I'm not sure how owning thousands of futures contracts he can't exercise was somehow a good investment.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can someone explain why he suddenly lost 9 million. He was buying contracts at what he thought were a penny a piece, but were actually $-30. Wouldn't that make his costs less? If the price going down encouraged him to buy more then why is the cost going negative costing him more?

Also weren't oil futures so cheap because it was costing more to transport and store that oil in the short term than it was worth? I'm not sure how owning thousands of futures contracts he can't exercise was somehow a good investment.

The futures are agreements to take delivery of oil at a certain date, the $.01 price is different from an option where it is a right in the case of the option, but a responsibility in the case of the future. As futures prices went negative because too many financial buyers had bought futures, it became a liability to have agreed to take delivery as no storage could be found. So here he is, buying an obligation to take delivery for $.01, when he has no ability to take delivery and the cash settlement cost of getting out of this obligation to receive oil costs $30 per barrel.

Edit: and his broker charged him $.01 instead of negative $30 to enter the position.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Krispy Wafer posted:

The funny part is that there was storage capacity at the delivery point, but the people that own and operate it are in the business of moving oil. There should be limits on who can trade commodity futures to prevent this level of stupidity, but :capitalism:.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But wasn't he screwed regardless? Buying futures at $3 each when he can't take possession of them isn't going to net him a profit. He talked like the brokerage company screwed the futures he bought for friends and family, but those were when prices were still in the positive. Even if the broker reimburses him for everything bought while prices were negative, he still loses his investment.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The Invisible Hand of the Glorious Free Market claims another victim :allears:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Weatherman posted:

The Invisible Hand of the Glorious Free Market claims another victim :allears:

Darth Vader, famous economist

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Krispy Wafer posted:

But wasn't he screwed regardless? Buying futures at $3 each when he can't take possession of them isn't going to net him a profit. He talked like the brokerage company screwed the futures he bought for friends and family, but those were when prices were still in the positive. Even if the broker reimburses him for everything bought while prices were negative, he still loses his investment.

It seems like everyone is missing the point that a futures contract, in essence, trades like stocks. The price can move up or down. Some of them have leverage built-in, where a $1 movement in the underlying commodity price moves the futures contract some multiple of $1.

With a popular S&P500 futures contract, a 1 point movement in the index moves the futures contract $50. Not sure how the oil one works exactly.

He was speculating with borrowed money that the price of crude oil would quickly bounce back, netting a profit.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 10, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

It seems like everyone is missing the point that a futures contract, in essence, trades like stocks. The price can move up or down. Some of them have leverage built-in, where a $1 movement in the underlying commodity price moves the futures contract some multiple of $1.

With a popular S&P500 futures contract, a 1 point movement in the index moves the futures contract $50. Not sure how the oil one works exactly.

He was speculating with borrowed money that the price of crude oil would quickly bounce back, netting a profit.

Okay, I get it. He bought futures at...say, an average of a dollar a piece, thinking they'd bounce back and he could sell them, but instead they dropped to -$30. But that still assumes he could sell what, were in essence, worthless futures contracts. And with absolutely no time frame to see a turn around. Weren't prices crashing because that the last day the futures could be bought/sold?

He doesn't deserve to lose 9 million dollars, but he absolutely deserves to lose every penny he had in his brokerage account.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Inner Light posted:

The biggest difference is there is no physical thing when they trade futures on stocks. With oil or any other commodity, you must accept delivery at a certain place at a certain time. Cushing (the market for oil) was filling at about 1 million barrels a day and 3-4 weeks from 'full' at the time, meaning you couldn't take delivery. Oil got so negative because the paper traders wanted to get out (there was another day left to trade) and overwhelmed the physical buyers able to take it store it.

Oil prices are entirely dependent on location and where your pipelines tie into. My company got lucky to being locked in a smaller market that needs enough oil to keep running.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oil! posted:

The biggest difference is there is no physical thing when they trade futures on stocks. With oil or any other commodity, you must accept delivery at a certain place at a certain time.

I think we've gotten to the crux of the matter here. The ability to accept delivery depends on the broker. The popular broker this person was using, IB, does not allow physical delivery of commodity futures contracts and will forcibly close out your position before it's eligible to be delivered. This is probably why he owed the money, if the story is true. His position was forced to be sold at a negative value. Another possibility is the value of his positions dropped so much, he was issued what's called a 'margin call' since most futures are traded on margin (a loan from the broker) https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/margincall.asp

However he won't actually owe the full amount since IB is making people whole in some way as someone posted.

IB's futures delivery policy: https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1567&p=physical

That's my novice understanding, anyway. These types of stories are pretty common in the Stock Trading thread -- usually not happening to us though. Here's a nice one from Reddit:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 10, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

J. Paul Getty posted:

If you owe the bank $24 dollars, that's your problem; if you owe the bank $24 million, that's the bank's problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 10, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

J Paul Getty posted:

If you owe the bank $24 dollars, that's your problem; if you owe the bank $24 million, that's the bank's problem.
That's only true if you don't have $24 million in assets. The bank can float it and recoup. Now $24 billion is another story....

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

All you have to do to keep getting your paycheck is one Zoom conference per week. Can you do it?

quote:

For context, I work in a large international consulting company and have been with them for quite some years.

A few weeks ago I was on a conference call and for some reason I turned on my video. I was the only one out of 6 (internal but international) people with video on. The call was boring and I was not planning to say anything. So I decided to get one thing that I had in mind all day out of my system and started masturbating. I even stood up in front of my laptop and realized only after I finished off that my video was on all the time. I immediately hung up and left the call. You can imagine how mortified I was and still am.

After the first shock passed, I went back and checked the angle of the camera and I think that you could only see bellybutton upwards. Even when I was standing. But if one looked closely I am sure that you could notice my hand moving in a jerk off kind of way. Or even see the tip of my Penis.

It did bother me all day obviously, so that I reached out to 2 different individuals that were on the call asking if they noticed / saw anything. Saying something that my wife started fooling around in the home office because the kids where asleep at the same time for the first time in ages. But both coworkers denied that they saw anything.

But now I was “invited” next Tuesday to a hearing with the HR director to explain myself. The invite did not include a lot of context.

I don’t know who or what was communicated to HR, but want to seek advice what I should do? How should I prepare? What kind of story should I tell?

Thank you for your support!!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

All you have to do to keep getting your paycheck is one Zoom conference per week. Can you do it?

I feel like my answer depends on whether the HR meeting is held over Zoom

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Well, that depends, is my work okay with me jerking it on the call or are they a bunch of nazis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Source you are quote