Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

abrosheen posted:

I tried looking this up because I loved Rites of Passage. Is this book called Road to Redemption, in a series called Necromunda? If so it looks like he wrote multiple other books in that setting. Is this a read in order situation? I don't even know what Necromunda is.

Sorry, yeah Road to Redemption. Necromunda is like a sub-setting of 40k. It focuses on one hive world that has had its lore fleshed out with tons of factions etc, like the 40k setting itself but in miniature. His other books in that setting are unrelated, although he may have a short story that serves as a prequel? There is also a specific version of the tabletop set in Necromunda with its own figures and rules.

Speaking of Mike Brooks, his Ork POV novel I mentioned earlier in the thread was officially announced (along with a necron POV novel!). It's the first full length Ork POV novel from BL, and I think Brooks is a perfect author for it. He recently wrote the Ork short story Where Dere’s Da Warp Dere’s A Way and it was well done. The new book will have the same characters so I suggest you check it out if you are on the fence about whether him (or anybody really) can pull off a full length Ork novel. Ork language and other Ork things can get grating after a while, so there is a fine line to walk to keep it being readable. Here's the preview of the Ork, Necron, and a new Blackstone Fortress novel:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/06/aliens-among-us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Does anyone know if Thousand Sons are in both parts of War Zone Fenris or just the second?

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I just finished the Ravenor trilogy. I’ve read Eisenhorn, and loved it. Ravenor was alright. Pariah however I just cannot get into. I’m guessing I’ll go with a Storm of Iron. I also need to post this because I feel it’s important: Patience Kys is the dumbest name I’ve ever witnessed in a book that takes itself as serious as these have.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Modulo16 posted:

I just finished the Ravenor trilogy. I’ve read Eisenhorn, and loved it. Ravenor was alright. Pariah however I just cannot get into. I’m guessing I’ll go with a Storm of Iron. I also need to post this because I feel it’s important: Patience Kys is the dumbest name I’ve ever witnessed in a book that takes itself as serious as these have.

There's a short story in Magos that explains her weird name.

Pariah starts off slow, and the new perspective is a little jarring, but some absolutely wild stuff happens as it progresses.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Modulo16 posted:

Patience Kys is the dumbest name I’ve ever witnessed in a book that takes itself as serious as these have.

The Virtue name thing was a real deal up until maybe 90 years ago, and was a big thing in England, especially with orphans. There's a short story in Magos that goes into it. If you're looking for more Eisenhorn/Ravenor, etc material, I highly recommend picking it up, great change of pace from Pariah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not uncommon even today, but more from various African countries than it is in the west.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there any Salamanders books not by Nick Kyme?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Modulo16 posted:

I literally know someone called Patience. I think it's mostly a thing from French colonised African countries, maybe that's why it's so alien to me. Patience's brother is called Dieudonné (given by God).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hope and Faith are popular names in the USA still. Probably more that I’m not thinking of

The Magos short story does indeed explain a lot as mentioned

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

a short story i think

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Modulo16 posted:

All names are equally dumb when you dig down to what they mean in their original languages. Gregor Eisenhorn literally means Alert Ironhorn, which is dumb as hell. As is his protege Hewer *Great-hunger

*Closest I could come up with.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We're talking about a series featuring Corvus Corax, Ferrus Manus and Angron. The main bad guy is called Abaddon. Stupid names are extremely canon.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

peanut- posted:

We're talking about a series featuring Corvus Corax, Ferrus Manus and Angron. The main bad guy is called Abaddon. Stupid names are extremely canon.

Isn't Abaddon one of the hebrew names for satan or some other angel.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Guyver posted:

Isn't Abaddon one of the hebrew names for satan or some other angel.

He's the current President.

:rimshot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

D-Pad posted:

Sorry, yeah Road to Redemption. Necromunda is like a sub-setting of 40k. It focuses on one hive world that has had its lore fleshed out with tons of factions etc, like the 40k setting itself but in miniature. His other books in that setting are unrelated, although he may have a short story that serves as a prequel? There is also a specific version of the tabletop set in Necromunda with its own figures and rules.

Speaking of Mike Brooks, his Ork POV novel I mentioned earlier in the thread was officially announced (along with a necron POV novel!). It's the first full length Ork POV novel from BL, and I think Brooks is a perfect author for it. He recently wrote the Ork short story Where Dere’s Da Warp Dere’s A Way and it was well done. The new book will have the same characters so I suggest you check it out if you are on the fence about whether him (or anybody really) can pull off a full length Ork novel. Ork language and other Ork things can get grating after a while, so there is a fine line to walk to keep it being readable. Here's the preview of the Ork, Necron, and a new Blackstone Fortress novel:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/06/aliens-among-us/

What are other BL things that have Orks as the "protagonist"? Deff Skwadron is a classic, is Blood and Thunder any good?

Improbable Lobster posted:

a short story i think

wooo :(

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wish

That omnibus is the biggest regret purchase

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zudgemud posted:

Gregor Eisenhorn literally means Alert Ironhorn, which is cool as hell.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

peanut- posted:

John Grammaticus is the most bullshit name is this setting and we cannot continue unless you agree.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SardonicTyrant posted:

John Grammaticus is the most bullshit name is this setting and we cannot continue unless you agree.

It's still Ferrus Manus, sorry

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Iron Hands with his iron hands, primarch of the Iron Hands, is galaxy brain naming.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

LMAO wait until y'all get the emperor's name reveal in Saturnine

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

What are other BL things that have Orks as the "protagonist"? Deff Skwadron is a classic, is Blood and Thunder any good?

wooo :(

Engine of Mork and Evil Sun Rising are great.

A short story and novella about a Big Mek that builds a stompa and joins Face-Rippa's WAAAGH.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

D-Pad posted:

Spoil it, you cocktease

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
The dumbest names are Angron, who is angry, and Perturbaro, who is perturbed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

VanSandman posted:

Spoil it, you cocktease

:ssh:

X Æ A-12

:ssh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Galvanik posted:

Iron Hands with his iron hands, primarch of the Iron Hands, is galaxy brain naming.

that's why they're my big favourite

head58
Apr 1, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Spoil it, you cocktease

Sheev

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Biggus Dickus

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I laughed because it was basically the neolithic version of "Jim"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Does the crossover with the night lord written by ADB count?
Edit: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Core_(Short_Story)

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 13, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Immanentized posted:

I laughed because it was basically the neolithic version of "Jim"

Cave Jim

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Anyone else suddenly imagining a 40k version of the office? A minor admech planet that makes parchment for the church and it's barely competent administrators? No? Just me?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The whole 30k era Is silly

40k is better imho

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Let me see if I get this straight. The cabal are an ancient alien organization that wants Horus to win in a convoluted plan to kill Chaos. They introduce their big plan in Legion, it fails almost immediately by the next book, and the group dies after the Heresy.

What the hell was the point of introducing them if they contributed nothing to the setting?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SardonicTyrant posted:

Let me see if I get this straight. The cabal are an ancient alien organization that wants Horus to win in a convoluted plan to kill Chaos. They introduce their big plan in Legion, it fails almost immediately by the next book, and the group dies after the Heresy.

What the hell was the point of introducing them if they contributed nothing to the setting?

the horus heresy books weren't supposed to go on this long

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Were they just trying to close some plot holes from old lore?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They needed a reason for Alpha Legion to side with Horus but still be loyal...ish

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When is Saturnine supposed to be out for us peasants? I can't find it on amazon :(

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's a BBC reporter named Damian Grammaticus and he always makes me think of 40K. I wonder if this guy's named after him.

D-Pad posted:

Sir Richard of the Shadowed Cliffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Biplane posted:

When is Saturnine supposed to be out for us peasants? I can't find it on amazon :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/178999134X

July 7th