Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Something like 90% of the deaths of the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic happened in the second wave as well.

History is repeating itself because we're stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Indy posted:

My super duper missile can fly faster than your super missile. It also have a super duper shield... and ice cream.

It's like Flobot lyrics but dumber.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I've just been letting my hair (and beard) grow all this time who gives a gently caress lmao

Live fast, leave a hairy corpse

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

A hospital bed coffin, that get this, is also a ranch dressing fountain.

Sounds like something you would see at the heart attack grill

Wonder if those guys are just giving away corona

schmug
May 20, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Something like 90% of the deaths of the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic happened in the second wave as well.

History is repeating itself because we're stupid.

I know the internet makes you stupid, but ffs, you would think with how available information is to people now things would be better. But, as it turns out, people are just loving stupid in general.

fake edit: was it really 90%? that seems awfully high...

schmug
May 20, 2007

Found a pretty good write up. We are literally stupider than our predecessors

quote:

Barry said he is particularly concerned that cities and states are reopening while cases in their jurisdictions continue to rise.
"That did not happen in a single [U.S.] city that I know of in 1918," he said. "They would wait until the curve dramatically turned down before they would take any action to reopen. So they were considerably more conservative."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/1918-pandemic-flu-coronavirus-1.5566524

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
in 1918 it was the tail end of world war one. people were already used to a war economy, rationing, and doing what the government tells you for several years before the 1918 pandemic hit.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Indy posted:

My super duper missile can fly faster than your super missile. It also have a super duper shield... and ice cream.

Someone did the math and 17 times faster than current missiles would mean Washington to Moscow in 2 seconds... ie. the president is an idiot.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

schmug posted:

I know the internet makes you stupid, but ffs, you would think with how available information is to people now things would be better. But, as it turns out, people are just loving stupid in general.

fake edit: was it really 90%? that seems awfully high...

It seemed awfully high to the people at the time too. Because the average American cannot fathom thinking ahead more than two days, does not understand math, and does not understand how viral contagion works, nor do they care. They only care when everyone around them dies in droves, but still cannot connect their lack of proactive thought to consequences.

In essence, Americans are incomparably selfish. Seems to be a constant throughout history of whichever culture is dominant.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rutibex posted:

in 1918 it was the tail end of world war one. people were already used to a war economy, rationing, and doing what the government tells you for several years before the 1918 pandemic hit.

and then around 30-40 years later a whole generation of entitled assholes were born. so loving crazy how quickly a couple generations of knowledge can be lost...

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

redgubbinz posted:

I've just been letting my hair (and beard) grow all this time who gives a gently caress lmao

Same.

schmug
May 20, 2007

schmug posted:

and then around 30-40 years later a whole generation of entitled assholes were born. so loving crazy how quickly a couple generations of knowledge can be lost...

even now, and be being gen X, I can't seem to convey to my daughter how hosed up stuff is probably going to get. She seems to get it better than most her age, but gently caress me we are all going to die.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bronze Fonz posted:

Someone did the math and 17 times faster than current missiles would mean Washington to Moscow in 2 seconds... ie. the president is an idiot.

17 times faster than traditional cruise missiles, not ballistic missiles. The president is an idiot, but hypersonic cruise missiles have been in the pipeline for a while. The Pentagon probably hasn't been calling them super duper missiles on account of not publicly announcing classified weapons development.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The Pentagon probably hasn't been calling them super duper missiles on account of not publicly announcing classified weapons development it makes you sound like a literal child talking.

ftfy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rutibex posted:

Some clown online was talking about how he survived the '68 Hong Kong Flu which was no big deal even though it was way worse that COVID-19 and kids these days blah blah blah

I actually went and looked up the '68-69 H3N2 flu pandemic and even though it did kill an estimated 100,000 people in the US, 70% of those mortalities occurred during a 6 month outbreak in 1968 and the rest during a milder second wave in 1969:

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/192/2/233/856805

..... and the first few months of the initial outbreak were 'sporadic' and it wasn't until after the third month (pretty much where the US is now with COVID-19) that the poo poo really hit the fan. Saying that the '68 pandemic was worse than the current pandemic at this point in time is real dumb.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

redgubbinz posted:

Yeah. To be fair I’m working from home & taking care of the kids, wife handles grocery pickup on her way home from work. I haven’t left the house/yard for much of anything in a month but to take the kiddos to each grandma’s driveway and leave chalk drawings for Mother’s Day. I’ve had a full beard for years but typically kill it to short stubble 2x a year (fancy work events that are cancelled this year, obv) so its getting a chance to actually bush out and get to duck dynasty levels. I’m loving it and excited to watch it grow like a beautiful child

That said I will shave it in a hot second the moment I need to wear a mask with a seal. It’ll grow back anyway

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Some clown online was talking about how he survived the '68 Hong Kong Flu which was no big deal even though it was way worse that COVID-19 and kids these days blah blah blah

I actually went and looked up the '68-69 H3N2 flu pandemic and even though it did kill an estimated 100,000 people in the US, 70% of those mortalities occurred during a 6 month outbreak in 1968 and the rest during a milder second wave in 1969:

..... and the first few months of the initial outbreak were 'sporadic' and it wasn't until after the third month (pretty much where the US is now with COVID-19) that the poo poo really hit the fan. Saying that the '68 pandemic was worse than the current pandemic at this point in time is real dumb.

How are conservatives so daft that they can't see that society placing a greater value on human life as we progress is a good thing?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How are conservatives so daft that they can't see that society placing a greater value on human life as we progress is a good thing?

Hi, please take a seat. Listen, a lot of things happened since we've put you in cryogenic stasis, we have a lot to go through...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Number go down

Same reason they're against clean air and clean water

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My sweet, sweet angel.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

FYGM is the only factor to them. Any manner of inconvenience they have to endure is the greatest injustice in all of human history.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a stock portfolio valued at $2,000 that consists entirely of cruise line stocks, airlines, and McDonalds. As a capitalist and titan of industry it is in my best interests to re-open the economy no matter the cost.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Blistex posted:

FYGM is the only factor to them. Any manner of inconvenience they have to endure is the greatest injustice in all of human history.

See: people being called boomer then acting like they know what it’s like to be called the n word (by boomers.)

My mom wrote an article and sent it to the local paper about how she feels marginalized and made fun of for being a suburban white conservative in the southeastern United States. Unironically.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

See: people being called boomer then acting like they know what it’s like to be called the n word (by boomers.)

My mom wrote an article and sent it to the local paper about how she feels marginalized and made fun of for being a suburban white conservative in the southeastern United States. Unironically.

Wow your mom sucks

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
She is doing a surprisingly awesome job during covid, but her political and socioeconomic opinions are disgusting.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

jokes posted:

I have a stock portfolio valued at $2,000 that consists entirely of cruise line stocks, airlines, and McDonalds. As a capitalist and titan of industry it is in my best interests to re-open the economy no matter the cost.

This but (almost) unironically.

I should never have bought UAL...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I hope you make fun of her regularly

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Rolo posted:

Jesus Christ! I bet she's not invited for Xmas

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

tuyop posted:

A hair cut is a really dumb thing to die or cause someone else to die for.
This is the crux of the issue. Some of the people wanting to open up the businesses are the owners and workers, but far more are the people who want to be served. They want the pampering of a haircut. They want to sit at a table and have someone else bring them food. Soon they will want sportsball to start happening to entertain them, and the right to go watch in person and shout at the sportsballers. And two whole months of not being served has broken their brains because they are scared. They are scared of not being served. Of not being the top of their food chain. Of things being different and not in their control.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To me, it seems so obvious that those comments are made by somebody who had never even heard of the Hong Kong Flu until they googled it, then crafted some bullshit whiner story from info they gathered from wikipedia. That or lifted from some wingnut who did that exact same thing.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The cure cant be more harmful than the disease

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So apparently bats are carriers, but buts are also all asymptomatic. So the covid can run rampant through a bat population without any effect. Don't you see? We can replace people with bats and open up!

I'll send an invoice later today.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

So apparently bats are carriers, but buts are also all asymptomatic. So the covid can run rampant through a bat population without any effect. Don't you see? We can replace people with bats and open up!

Bats hang upside down so respiratory infections for them is like a UTI for dudes, it's an uphill battle for the virus

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wisconsin's Mt Olympus theme park is opening. (Coasters, go-karts,water park)

Anyone wanna go for a swim?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

shovelbum posted:

Bats hang upside down so respiratory infections for them is like a UTI for dudes, it's an uphill battle for the virus

Poz my neg bat-hole

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Harminoff posted:

I try not to think of the ramifications of exposing myself to a public pool/water park when there ISN'T a pandemic going on.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The worlds tiniest violin for America, and it’s playing a cover of the Undertaker’s intro music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6XZAK91r2w

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Harminoff posted:

lol they have always been considered slightly sketchy and dangerous so this is fitting

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Famethrowa posted:

lol they have always been considered slightly sketchy and dangerous so this is fitting

Their press release is great

quote:

WISCONSIN DELLS WATERPARK RESORT ANNOUNCES OVERNIGHT GUEST EXCLUSIVITY

Mt. Olympus Will Reopen May 26 for the Summer Season

WISCONSIN DELLS, Wis. (May 14, 2020) – One of the most well-known attractions in Wisconsin Dells, Wis., Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Resort, today announced it will be going to an “overnight guest exclusivity” policy when it reopens for the summer season on May 26. That means those staying at the resort, a complex that includes an outdoor water park and theme park, will no longer be sharing the amenities with day-trippers. Mt. Olympus is located along the Wisconsin Dells Parkway.

The resort is owned and operated by the Laskaris family, who said the decision was an easy one because it puts guest safety first.  “We know travelers will still be looking to social distance once they set out on family vacations this summer, and this will give our overnight guests more space to safely have fun,” said Nick Laskaris. The owners added it will also help shorten lines at the waterslides, go-kart tracks and roller coasters, allowing for distance between guests as they step up to experience their favorite rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Outrail posted:

Bats seem to cause a lot of bad poo poo. We arent we killing them all. We are good at making poo poo extinct so it would be easy?