Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That was definitely supposed to be Quarles in the commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Devian666 posted:

Not only that he says that other countries take a month off in August. Why the gently caress would I take a month off in August? It's the coldest month of the year here.

Do you have mountains? Sounds perfect to me!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Do you have mountains? Sounds perfect to me!

Ski fields everywhere. Pretty easy to access at weekends without taking a month off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

withak posted:

I mean we can naval gaze all day about the ~artistic intent~ of the commercial writer or whatever but that’s 100% how the actor decided to play it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Something something Mercedes Benz actually playing "Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz". To be fair, their audience is probably exactly that person.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Are you sure he wasn't suppose to be Damien Darhk?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Are you sure he wasn't suppose to be Damien Darhk?

Idk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This might be a slight reach for the BWM thread, but I present: BWM: Dedicating your science fiction novel to OJ Simpson

https://reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/gjnyhk/aita_for_being_mad_that_my_boyfriend_dedicated/

My boyfriend of 5 years has many great traits, but the one very weird quirk is that he’s convinced OJ didn’t do it. He’s seen every documentary and mini series and still thinks OJ is innocent. His explanation of who he thinks did it is probably even crazier than other OJ truthers, but he’s not a conspiracy theorist other than this so I mostly let it go. He spends a lot of time reading about and watching OJ related content and it’s just become a hobby that I ignored.

He recently self published a book, unrelated to OJ. It’s just science fiction. I read all his drafts and helped him edit. Perhaps narcissistically I thought I would be the person to whom he dedicated the book. It wasn’t until I ordered it that I opened and saw it was dedicated to loving OJ.

Now I know it’s his right to do whatever he wants but I wouldn’t have been upset if he dedicated it to his mom or something. But he’s never met OJ. He said he hoped the book would go big, people would buy it and be thrown off by the dedication (which talks about OJ being innocent) and this would “open the Pandora’s box” to the world.

I asked him why not just write a book about OJ then and he said because it would be harder to market given that he wasn’t involved in the case and isn’t in law. So his Hope was to write a science fiction book (seemed odd to me because he’s not usually a writer) that would “be the next viral novel” with the secret agenda of highlighting OJ. He also was hoping OJ himself would see it.

I’m aware OJ isn’t even in jail. My boyfriend acts like he is. He says even if OJ is “free” he’s not truly free because people only know him as “that man who killed his wife” and not as a great athlete.

He’s telling me none of this affects me so I’m in the wrong to be so offended. But come on....this just feels like delusion and it makes me angry that I helped him edit a book that turned out to be some OJ related secret plot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Strongly BWL

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I had a college professor who believed OJ didn't do it.

She posited the question to us if anyone thought he didn't do it. Not one person raised their hand.

She then said "Really? Not one of you think he didn't do it! Did y'all see how handicapped he is? See, I think he paid someone to take her out for him..."

Which isn't any better, and really BWM, but whatever...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I want to find the book.

Dude sounds like a visionary.

quote:

Ok so he believes OJ is guilty of the armed robbery and kidnapping but in his words “that’s what happens when a Phoenix is backed into a cage, it self immolates”

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Speaking of The Juice, GWM is the Goldman family getting the rights to OJ's book in a court settlement and changing the cover and title from this:

to this:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Elon Musk is on a BWM spree this month, but he has now interjected himself into a Twitter joke that J.K. Rowling made about Bitcoin and somehow lost an argument he was having against nobody.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/stat...al-banks-2020-5
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/stat...al-banks-2020-5
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...al-banks-2020-5
https://twitter.com/hodlonaut/status/1261427702583529472
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1261429085999296512
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1261394842988376064
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1260877073716883456
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1261340749401972736
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1261336450332688386
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1261120130433589254

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 16, 2020

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I want to find the book.

Dude sounds like a visionary.

Say what you will about OJ Simpson, but that man has lived a full life.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

potee posted:

Say what you will about OJ Simpson, but that man has lived a full life.

Unlike some of the people who crossed his path.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Unlike some of the people who crossed his path.

Yeah, they’ll certainly never be the head of a major corporation!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Partner has $55k in credit card debt. Please help.

quote:

Yesterday my bf (34M) and I (34F) (2 years) sat down and really talked finances. I had been thinking of buying a house (my name only), so figured it was good to do. I knew he had a lot of credit card debt, but I don't think I realized how much...

Some relevant things:

His mom is verrrrry bad with money. $15k of it is credit cards she convinced him to open together when he was 18 and is her debt. We had a conversation a few months ago when I found this part out. He told her he was going to turn off the cards.
Most of it was accrued when he was 18-23; his mom couldn't help with college and so a large amount of it was charged on credit cards
He's actually not bad with money now (I know that sounds like an oxymoron) but I think he's so underwater he doesn't know what to do. He does save for retirement. He wants to get it paid off.
As far as I can tell, based on our conversation yesterday, paying the minimums, he has very, very little left over each month ($700 not counting rent, groceries, etc. - we live in a high COL area).
We keep our finances separate (this is how I didn't realize how much debt he had...)
So here are my major questions:

My job is secure and likely not to be cut during all of the current stuff. His job, not so much. We have discussed that if he loses his job we may get married (courthouse) for health insurance reasons. Marriage isn't something either of us really care about, although we do plan to be married someday, so for us it isn't a big deal. IF we were married, would his debt impact me (we would still keep separate finances)?
What are his options? Is bankruptcy viable? How does that impact his shared cards w/ his mom?
Any other relevant advice you can give that I'm not thinking about?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

GWM but probably Bad at staying out of prison

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/glgll2/401k_question_mother_ended_employment_and_cannot/

quote:

401k Question- Mother ended employment and cannot access 401k
Retirement
Hopefully someone can help offer some insight to a problem my mother is having. My personal research and discussions with financial professionals has me very concerned.

My mother ended employment at a doctor’s office after a few decades. The employer offered a 401k plan and contributed 2% annually while my mother contributed on her own for several years. Statements were provided and employer contributions were classified as vested.

She left her position 6 weeks ago and is trying to roll over the amounts to a personal retirement account (she is over 65). The employer refuses to give the money or access to the 401k administrators. We talked to the accountant who mentioned the employer may have borrowed against the money and may not be able to produce it until October the doctor needs to do his taxes first before funds are available. The statements mentioned a major financial firm but in talking with the firm and accountant, she does not have an account as it is all under the doctors name and control. The account did commit to getting her the majority of her funds a few times but so far nothing has happened.

I fee pretty confident she should have immediate access to her contributions and vested funds, she should have an account as she received statements and something very shady appears to be going on. Any insight to if this is above board and some rare investment set up I’m unaware of? What actions should we take next? I need some help as I’m extremely concerned.

No, she cannot have the money yet. We used her 401k as collateral for a loan. Once we sort out our taxes maybe she can have her money.

quote:

Thanks for the insight.

I don’t have all the info but I had the plan name and EIN and nothing came up. Maybe it was user error but that is not a good sign.

So they did not report it in their taxes. Oh joy.

quote:

It’s supposed to be a major respected financial firm but she called and an account does not exist in her name. The accountant confirmed. However she did receive statements under the name of the firm but they looked like something I could build in Excel. The broker is unknown and they will not share that info.

As for access, the doctor said he has control of the funds and will decide when she gets them. The accountant said all funds are pooled, calculations are done periodically to determine each employee’s share and calcs will not be run until as late as October when the doctor’s taxes are completed. Until then they can not determine how much she has in the 401k (and the statements clearly said 401k). The accountant did say they would release 2018 funds as a favor but there has been no follow through.

Unfortunately all information is verbal - nothing written except the statements and check stubs showing contributions. The statements did not have an account number and look suspect. Unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to see until she left the job. And I agree I want to validate before accusing someone of something unethical or illegal. I’ve researched online and talked to an investments professional. Also, I work in corporate finance and have some visibility to how employer 401k programs work.

Okay, that sounds like a pooled 401k with an annual valuation which are rare but I think they still exist but why would it be revalued at tax time specifically and why would the plan not offer to let her pull the money equal to the value at the last valuation as a matter of course and how would that be a favor? Also...why would they put a brokerage that has never heard of them on their excel spreadsheet statements? Yikes. I would send that to the brokerage and then watch the fireworks follow.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You know, his mom putting his college fees on a credit card instead of student loans could actually be gwm since now they can be discharged if he declares bankruptcy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You know, his mom putting his college fees on a credit card instead of student loans could actually be gwm since now they can be discharged if he declares bankruptcy.

That was my thought as well. If that guy is worth marrying, they should hope he gets laid off and then they can declare bankruptcy *before* they tie the knot. Buy everything in her name until his credit recovers, then they'll be starting off on much better footing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do non-marriage partner benefits still exist or did those go away now that everyone can legally marry anyone they choose (outside of Kentucky).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

GWM but probably Bad at staying out of prison

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/glgll2/401k_question_mother_ended_employment_and_cannot/

No, she cannot have the money yet. We used her 401k as collateral for a loan. Once we sort out our taxes maybe she can have her money.

So they did not report it in their taxes. Oh joy.

Okay, that sounds like a pooled 401k with an annual valuation which are rare but I think they still exist but why would it be revalued at tax time specifically and why would the plan not offer to let her pull the money equal to the value at the last valuation as a matter of course and how would that be a favor? Also...why would they put a brokerage that has never heard of them on their excel spreadsheet statements? Yikes. I would send that to the brokerage and then watch the fireworks follow.

I personally know a doctor who stole from employee 401ks. The federal Department of Labor criminal investigators are up there with postal service investigators in terms of ability and power. That doctor is totally hosed if that story gets to the right authorities.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BigHead posted:

I personally know a doctor who stole from employee 401ks. The federal Department of Labor criminal investigators are up there with postal service investigators in terms of ability and power. That doctor is totally hosed if that story gets to the right authorities.

A couple years back I had a bad experience with a former employer. Long story short they deducted my 401k contributions from my salary and didn't actually transfer that money to an account.

I got strung along a LOT but once I called the DoL poo poo got sorted out right loving quick, it was hilarious.

edit: it was a small business. The back end was pretty much two people. I suspect that a lot of these stories boil down to that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cyrano4747 posted:

A couple years back I had a bad experience with a former employer. Long story short they deducted my 401k contributions from my salary and didn't actually transfer that money to an account.

I got strung along a LOT but once I called the DoL poo poo got sorted out right loving quick, it was hilarious.

edit: it was a small business. The back end was pretty much two people. I suspect that a lot of these stories boil down to that.

That is pretty crazy. I guess a lot of people don't care or think they will get caught.

My GF had her own business and there is a reason she had an accountant, lawyer, and payroll company. No way she is going to let some shady poo poo go down.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dave portnoy is a giant chode too

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1261104319513923586?s=21

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

There's something so fitting about his Twitter handle being stoolpresidente.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do non-marriage partner benefits still exist or did those go away now that everyone can legally marry anyone they choose (outside of Kentucky).

They still exist in Washington, but only for senior couples (where at least one partner is 62 years or older).

It turned out that the "you're effectively married but not married-married" approach was useful for people who were receiving survivor benefits from a previous marriage. There are quite a few widows who still receive their ex-spouse's pension benefits, but with a clause that says "if you ever get married to someone else, you're cut off." Domestic partnership let couples in that situation get things like hospital visitation and inheritance rights without having to give up their benefits.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thekarami/status/1261659104340140038?s=21

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I too spend 3.5 million on a home without doing a basic inspection.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
For $3.5m and a "nice" view of central park I'm surprised there's no janitor in there with them, using the bath tub to wash out their mop.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The bathtub IS Central Park

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Volmarias posted:

For $3.5m and a "nice" view of central park I'm surprised there's no janitor in there with them, using the bath tub to wash out their mop.

A nice view of Central Park for 3.5m I’m surprised they have a full bath

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ey, if you think my coffee tastes like bathwater, just wait until you taste my bathwater!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this is an interesting tweet with really annoying replies

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The piss tub is real.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

The piss tub is real.

Must be a Trump property :pisstape:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Speaking of building wonderful mares...

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1262419851206746112

https://t.co/TGSKssto1g

Check out slides 46-51. Art.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Don’t horses die by falling in ditches/breaking their legs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at min that horse is face planting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HORSE EQUITY