Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene
I have a feeling this coronavirus gimmick account may just be a giant loving retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Your Shoes posted:

I have a feeling this coronavirus gimmick account may just be a giant loving retard.

ooooo you said the r word in a snipe

that's like breaking a mirror with a black cat under a ladder on friday the 13th

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

dee eight posted:

ooooo you said the r word in a snipe

that's like breaking a mirror with a black cat under a ladder on friday the 13th

If you forget this ever happened I'll buy cat drugs from you

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Your Shoes posted:

If you forget this ever happened I'll buy cat drugs from you

like you got other options

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Can you verify any of those numbers or are they all hypothetical?

Also:

Why don't we do more to prevent child abuse?

Why can't we suspend mortgage and rent payments?

Why can't we do more to provide medication for people?

Why don't we do more to address domestic violence?

We can do more than one thing at a time.

To the majority of the people who use those talking points, there was no such thing as domestic violence, mental illness, or predatory renting practices before coronavirus. These are all brand new problems that only exist because lockdowns exist, so there is no need to provide any social safety net or care about the people around them UNTIL doing so mean inconveniencing their haircut schedule slightly.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Anecdotal, but I volunteer with Samaritans, a UK based suicide & mental health support hotline, and our call volume had a brief spike in the fortnight after lockdown, but quickly settled and is only slightly up in the main. It's not up to "oh poo poo everyone's about to kill themselves" level, it's up to "between Christmas and January 4th" level. Our main problem is a lot of our volunteers are old/infirm and have to self isolate, so we have fewer folks available to answer the phone, and we've got little gaps between shifts to allow for wipe-downs and social distancing, whereas previously we'd go straight from one shift to another. Plus the call handling system is a rickety piece of poo poo and keeps collapsing, with engineer response times being lengthened by the Coof.

Totally unrelated, but I caught The Coof fairly early - confirmed by swab, not one of your "I reckon I had it" fellas - and for want of anything better to do went to work. Five or six times now I've picked up people who were quite probable covid carriers, and then the next day woke up feeling slightly fevered, with total anosmia despite no stuffiness or runniness of my nose. Passes after a couple hours, but weird.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I don't know if this was brought up in here yet but torono is melting down this weekend because a ton of hipsters got together in trinity bellwoods park. The mayor of the city might have even been there, but I'm not sure if the pics I saw were photoshops (he is a gigantic moron, so I wouldn't be suprised)

https://twitter.com/epdevilla/status/1264329547245334529

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I have a few friends that live near there and they confirmed that it was absolutely bonkers packed. Some other parks were pretty bad too, but not nearly as bad as Trinity Bellwoods

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Good thing per capita people payed 28k to companies and got 1.3k in return.

Lol man our govs are scum.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

central dogma posted:

What are the most recent events covered in modern American history books? I'm morbidly curious, but I don't feel like spending $100+ on one.

mega late on this but in my experience in high school our US history books went up to more or less the current presidency (W at the time). the problem was the curriculum never even got close to that point, so it was irrelevant. we'd sink an immense amount of time into the colonial and revolutionary era and never make it past the civil war if we even made it that far.

then the next year you'd either move on to International History or European History or whatever the gently caress, and maybe a year after that wind up back on a second US history class, maybe nominally Western History, which would inexplicably begin again in the 1400s.

the furthest a class i took ever got was AP History in my junior year of high school, where we just barely made it to midway through WW2. i maintained like a C+, B- average in that class and the teacher rightfully loving hated me because i was a lovely student. but then the AP exam that year ended up being like, almost 80% on the Vietnam era through the Gulf War for some reason, and me and the one other studen are the only ones who got 5s or whatever while everybody else either failed or eaked out a 3.

literally the only reason we did that well is we both had chud dads who served in Vietnam and have been hearing every detail of it and the subsequent decades in US military history exhaustively repeated to us over and over our entire lives

i don't know how representative that is of the US history education as a whole but i went to a pretty good private school so i can't imagine it was much better elsewhere. maybe it's different now idk

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'm loving all the lolbertarians on my facebook feed comparing themselves to Jews in the Holocaust over being told to wear masks sometimes.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The Austrian president apologized today for staying in a restaurant past curfew or something like that.
Imagine that, a president apologizing.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

central dogma posted:

What are the most recent events covered in modern American history books? I'm morbidly curious, but I don't feel like spending $100+ on one.

Back when I was in high school (early 2000s) they only got as far as the 1950s civil rights movement and only AP history got to the 60s, 70s, and 80s. They spent a really long time on the American revolution, Indian wars, the civil war, westward expansion, and world wars. As you may imagine they really glossed over most of the inbetween and whitewashed the stuff they did bother to cover. ...And this was in a blue state, in a mostly Democrat district populated by yuppies and blue working class.

I was one of those folks who loved history but didn't get an honest shake of US history until college and after on my own time and dime. To the history teacher's credit he did offer electives that covered other periods and civilizations which I took. Looking back, I suspect the fault was mostly in the required curriculum the state mandated him to work with.

Corona related- my state's doing a weird partial lift of stay at home where less populated, rural counties are getting opened to the next phase of openings, and as you might expect all the tourist towns are now swarming with people from other counties and states.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I don't know about anyone else but my own mental health has deteriorated not because of the lockdowns, but because of other people's behavior during them. People refusing to wear masks, being selfish monsters, straight up assaulting others over being minorly inconvenienced, all of this poo poo is just so insanely depressing. I mean I'm an "essential" worker so I straight up have to actually deal with these noxious assholes, so that doesn't help, but I don't think you could blame an increase in suicides just on people being sad that they can't go outside. Some of those are going to be people who have had any kind of optimism for the future or faith in their fellow man completely obliterated because, whoops, turns out people are pure, selfish trash.

(I'm not in any danger of killing myself or anything, so don't worry about me.)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Good thing per capita people payed 28k to companies and got 1.3k in return.

Wait what's this 28k number derived from?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I have a few friends that live near there and they confirmed that it was absolutely bonkers packed. Some other parks were pretty bad too, but not nearly as bad as Trinity Bellwoods

Sauble and Wasaga Beach are going to be packed this summer, and Canada is going to give the US a run for it's money in the Super-Stupid-Spreader Olympics (per capita).

We love to point and laugh about how dumb the Americans have been during the pandemic, but our boomers are just as selfish, our teens just as inconsiderate, our hipsters/hippies just as willfully ignorant, and our olds just as clueless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

smoobles posted:

Wait what's this 28k number derived from?

CARES + Fed injection / taxpayers.

That figure is old and it's probably more by now, but it's just like 2008-2010 when only the poor will be effected.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
We’re all gonna die: all the numbers are just a guess here

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Crocoswine posted:

I don't know about anyone else but my own mental health has deteriorated not because of the lockdownselections, but because of other people's behavior during them.

- Me, circa November 9th, 2016 and 2018, soon to be 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CARES + Fed injection / taxpayers.

That figure is old and it's probably more by now, but it's just like 2008-2010 when only the poor will be effected.

I thought this time around Dems ensured the money goes to worker paychecks, maybe I'm wrong

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crocoswine posted:

I don't know about anyone else but my own mental health has deteriorated not because of the lockdowns, but because of other people's behavior during them. People refusing to wear masks, being selfish monsters, straight up assaulting others over being minorly inconvenienced, all of this poo poo is just so insanely depressing. I mean I'm an "essential" worker so I straight up have to actually deal with these noxious assholes, so that doesn't help, but I don't think you could blame an increase in suicides just on people being sad that they can't go outside. Some of those are going to be people who have had any kind of optimism for the future or faith in their fellow man completely obliterated because, whoops, turns out people are pure, selfish trash.

Yeah but you know what? It’s a persons choice to not participate in irrational behavior that doesn’t really protect them. Everybody was at each other’s next before this, people were “fighting” for rights already legally granted to them, racial equality, women’s reproductive rights, essentially freedoms and rights that are an inherent part of being a citizen. And a pandemic doesn’t suddenly mean a suspension of those rights. Any business can impose a dress code for their store, but the idea that the state can suspend an individuals right to make their own rational choices and not be forced into ritual that does nothing to protect them is absurd. We’re suddenly forced to accept irrational and unfounded truths and censored because “everyone agrees”. Everyone doesn’t loving agree, the loudest mouth do-gooder assholes motivate people with fear of loss of rights or liberty for non-compliance and believe that don’t have to listen to scientific facts. It’s not like society SHOULDNT have a reaction to this poo poo, it’s just like let’s take a rational look at this poo poo and see what would have an actual effect on a pandemic. Basically most people would need respirators and air storage to go out and underground hermetically sealed bunkers to have ANY impact on this poo poo. The “all in this together” people are the ones who stood to benefit from a substantial loss of life. The “we all agree on this” people are the one violently silencing people and censoring any opinions that differ from the state. The “don’t you dare ruin this quarantine for me” people are the ones who want to exploit whatever leverage they think the state has over its people so we don’t blame the people who need to be blamed for this poo poo. They are buying time and getting their game plan together to protect themselves against an unmanageable populace. Not saying people shouldn’t be weary or exercise caution, it’s just that none of this poo poo that is being imposed is actually designed to help anything. We might reduce the instances of the cold or the flu and generally be more sanitary but that’s it. The people who are telling us to do this poo poo have protections that far exceed that or the common person and they don’t care if it’s working or not, it’s not supposed to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

We’re suddenly forced to accept irrational and unfounded truths and censored because “everyone agrees”.

how exactly are you being "censored"? specifically what is it you want to say that you aren't allowed to say, and who is stopping you from saying it?

quote:

it’s just that none of this poo poo that is being imposed is actually designed to help anything. We might reduce the instances of the cold or the flu and generally be more sanitary but that’s it.

they are designed to slow the spread of the disease. if they reduce instances of the cold and flu and we are more sanitary in general this is also a good thing. im having trouble understanding your point or how these things aren't helpful.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Yeah but you know what? It’s a persons choice to not participate in irrational behavior that doesn’t really protect them. Everybody was at each other’s next before this, people were “fighting” for rights already legally granted to them, racial equality, women’s reproductive rights, essentially freedoms and rights that are an inherent part of being a citizen. And a pandemic doesn’t suddenly mean a suspension of those rights. Any business can impose a dress code for their store, but the idea that the state can suspend an individuals right to make their own rational choices and not be forced into ritual that does nothing to protect them is absurd. We’re suddenly forced to accept irrational and unfounded truths and censored because “everyone agrees”. Everyone doesn’t loving agree, the loudest mouth do-gooder assholes motivate people with fear of loss of rights or liberty for non-compliance and believe that don’t have to listen to scientific facts. It’s not like society SHOULDNT have a reaction to this poo poo, it’s just like let’s take a rational look at this poo poo and see what would have an actual effect on a pandemic. Basically most people would need respirators and air storage to go out and underground hermetically sealed bunkers to have ANY impact on this poo poo. The “all in this together” people are the ones who stood to benefit from a substantial loss of life. The “we all agree on this” people are the one violently silencing people and censoring any opinions that differ from the state. The “don’t you dare ruin this quarantine for me” people are the ones who want to exploit whatever leverage they think the state has over its people so we don’t blame the people who need to be blamed for this poo poo. They are buying time and getting their game plan together to protect themselves against an unmanageable populace. Not saying people shouldn’t be weary or exercise caution, it’s just that none of this poo poo that is being imposed is actually designed to help anything. We might reduce the instances of the cold or the flu and generally be more sanitary but that’s it. The people who are telling us to do this poo poo have protections that far exceed that or the common person and they don’t care if it’s working or not, it’s not supposed to.
Clam
It really doesn't seem like regular masks are ineffective and other isolating measures, I don't think the VOLUME and varying locations of people that would have to be lying to pull off that kind of con is happening.

So when you say, eh, it doesn't help it, it feels like an attack
On me
I stupidly smoked and am older, every rear end in a top hat that doesn't wear a mask endangers me afaik.

Our government is total bs but I don't think it's all a con

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Earwicker posted:

how exactly are you being "censored"? specifically what is it you want to say that you aren't allowed to say, and who is stopping you from saying it?

they are designed to slow the spread of the disease. if they reduce instances of the cold and flu and we are more sanitary in general this is also a good thing, im having trouble understanding your point or how these things aren't helpful.

Come on ear...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

coronavirus posted:

The last time I looked the death rate per million for Sweden was like 450 and USA with 310.

Hypothetically, if at the end of this the difference between massive stay at home orders versus sorta business as usual, the only difference is maybe an 30% higher rate, it is absolutely not clear if that prevented the most deaths overall and almost certainly caused more suffering.

Kinda depends on how the other end of the effects worked, yes? Did sacrificing an extra 30% of their population to Mammon preserve their economy and "way of life"?

No. https://www.ft.com/content/93105160-dcb4-4721-9e58-a7b262cd4b6e

If your business stays open the whole time but revenue is down 30% for months (like the guy in the story) then your business is just failing a little slower than in the shut down countries. To prevent economic damage we'd need to preserve consumer confidence. I'm not sure that's possible. Trump, and some other leaders, tried at first with their "everything is fine, everything is under control, this will be gone soon" and you don't really need another group scaremongering to have that messaging fail eventually. Nothing to worry about folks, go on with your lives, just ignore the weird refrigerator trucks parked outside the funeral homes, kindly continue spending money. Please pay no mind to the meat shortages caused by meat packing plants having to shut down for a few weeks because half their staff is out sick, have you tried the Beyond burger yet? Nana called you and told you 15 of her friends and 3 staff recently died of mysterious pneumonia and she's afraid to stay in the home? Well, you know how old people are, always making up silly stories and dying in massive numbers -- she probably just wants some attention, send her some flowers. What?

Not hyping or inflating the numbers won't be enough. Actively suppressing the numbers won't be enough. Economic damage was never avoidable.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
in other news, due to covid19 the international origami convention has folded

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Earwicker posted:

Clam caught a 12 hour probe for that wall of nonsense so you see factually his RIGHTS are being TRAMPLED by TYRANNICAL MODS.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm on my phone so

boothisman.gif

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Earwicker posted:

Youtube took down that plandemic video so I had to watch it on a less popular streaming service, QED.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Game Developers Conference unexpectedly shut down

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Clam caught a 12 hour probe for that wall of nonsense so you see factually his RIGHTS are being TRAMPLED by TYRANNICAL MODS.

Within five minutes. Big Mod has eyes everywhere, all the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The best part was the probation reason correcting him on using “weary” instead of “wary” which is a pet peeve of mine that drives me fuckin’ nuts.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

gently caress this hypothetical random number guessing game. when people just start making up numbers and laying them down like facts it makes you seem schizophrenic. I understand it makes you feel smart but can you guys keep it to a .txt or something.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The best part was the probation reason correcting him on using “weary” instead of “wary” which is a pet peeve of mine that drives me fuckin’ nuts.

jesus good on burt for catching that. I have no idea how anyone made it past the first sentence of that nonsense

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

gently caress this hypothetical random number guessing game. when people just start making up numbers and laying them down like facts it makes you seem schizophrenic. I understand it makes you feel smart but can you guys keep it to a .txt or something.

71% of doctors agree that this guy should calm down

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same. Wary rhymes with scary, and and means to be cautious about danger.

Though it's easy to confuse these days, being both wary and weary of Covid-19.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m enforcing capitalization next week.

(If accompanied by crazy text)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Pump your breaks dude.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Please make sure your manifestos use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Plant MONSTER. posted:

eh their reason for existing was paper-thin anyway