Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My absolute favorite thing about RoS was that the emperor’s message mentioned in the text crawl at the start was actually a loving Fortnite event where you actually get to hear the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

No Mods No Masters posted:

I would say holdo is also space hillary. So profound was rian's hillary awareness that he couldn't express it all in only one character

It's more that to her fans Hillary is a cypher for every white woman.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Holdo is more a generalized stand in for Dem leadership in the immediate post-2016 period when Hillary retreated from public life, a bunch of rear end in a top hat professional class weirdos whose only claim to power is a nebulous proximity to greatness, trying and failing to wrangle leadership of a fracturing organization.

Like I said, trying to find 1:1 equivalencies is a fool’s game, because General Leia Organa Clinton is the only real person in the sequel trilogy, with maybe han being vaguely Bill-ish as a consequence of proximity. Everyone else is a nonspecific representative of a real world archetype or movement, such as how Kylo is a sort of primal proto-school shooter who doesn’t line up with any specific person but represents traits and behaviors seen (correctly or otherwise) as universal to violent young American men who lash out against the world, or how Sheev is a personification of the Russiagate saga, a need to believe that the modern new problems facing the world are really just the same old villains doing the same old poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 27, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's worth noting that principal shooting for Last Jedi was wrapped by July 2016, so most post-election commentary anyone might take from it is largely projected.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDMTiamRRY

Legends of the Hidden Temple but star war is the ultimate millennial pandering. gently caress the blue banthas I’m a green gungans man

gently caress yes! Legends of the Hidden Jedi Temple is gonna own!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

General Dog posted:

It's worth noting that principal shooting for Last Jedi was wrapped by July 2016, so most post-election commentary anyone might take from it is largely projected.

It was also in post production for a year and a half, and it wouldn’t be the first time a film’s true plot and symbolism only took form in the edit bay.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8-dWSLDWI

This is actually a reallly interesting breakdown of how cut and paste these movies were. And it's really interesting the John WIlliams wrote 3 hours of music for RoS, so makes me think what he saw was very different than what it got hacked into.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I feel I should clarify that I’m not saying this stuff was a planned, deliberate reading of the text, but an emergent one; JJ, Rian, Kathleen Kennedy didn’t deliberately intend for these readings and comparisons, or for the films to be direct commentaries on American politics; otherwise, Holdo wouldn’t come off as so brutally incompetent, for one.

The point I’m making is that, quite to the contrary, these films were intended to be apolitical entertainment with vague sops to the en vogue social movements, but due to the way art works, the creators actual beliefs found their way into the final product anyway, and the result is a series of films that are, regardless of intent, a fascinating look into the internal logic of a liberal hegemony unable to come to terms with their loss of cultural and political control.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

One of my problems with the sequel trilogy is that all that subtext is accidental. Lucas was channeling real frustrations into the OT that gave people a cathartic sense of victory at the end of the movie, and that's missing from the sequels:

The Making of Star Wars posted:

In enlarging what became a nearly two-hundred-page rough draft, Lucas was continually aided by the transference of his Apocalypse Now ideas to the fantasy realm. Some of his notes scribbled on yellow legal pads are: “Theme: Aquilae is a small independent country like North Vietnam threatened by a neighbor or provincial rebellion, instigated by gangsters aided by empire. Fight to get rightful planet back. Half of system has been lost to gangsters … The empire is like America ten years from now, after gangsters assassinated the Emperor and were elevated to power in a rigged election … We are at a turning point: fascism or revolution.”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I go so far as to say that the sequel trilogy went out of its way to be about nothing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel I should clarify that I’m not saying this stuff was a planned, deliberate reading of the text, but an emergent one; JJ, Rian, Kathleen Kennedy didn’t deliberately intend for these readings and comparisons, or for the films to be direct commentaries on American politics; otherwise, Holdo wouldn’t come off as so brutally incompetent, for one.

The point I’m making is that, quite to the contrary, these films were intended to be apolitical entertainment with vague sops to the en vogue social movements, but due to the way art works, the creators actual beliefs found their way into the final product anyway, and the result is a series of films that are, regardless of intent, a fascinating look into the internal logic of a liberal hegemony unable to come to terms with their loss of cultural and political control.

But yeah, this is still true.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDMTiamRRY

Legends of the Hidden Temple but star war is the ultimate millennial pandering. gently caress the blue banthas I’m a green gungans man

I said it before and I’ll say it again: children deserve nothing nice.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Does Kylo really count as a school shooter if his teacher drew first?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lol that's the one, thanks

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My absolute favorite thing about RoS was that the emperor’s message mentioned in the text crawl at the start was actually a loving Fortnite event where you actually get to hear the message.

I'm pretty sure I saw it on twitter but the opening crawl really should have been

PALPATINE is talking poo poo on FORTNITE

EDIT: Also it is legitimately amazing to see Ahmed Best getting back in front of the camera in a Star Wars context. I hope Disney is paying him all the money, considering he's 100% going to get piled on again.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 27, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
you can say whatever you want about intentions, who's supposed to represent who, etc. i don't care until it comes to Snoke

that motherfucker was supposed to be Trump. It's obvious. The gaudy rear end throne room. Wearing gold, etc. Not literally Trump but his pure, unleashed id.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The movie literally came out like a month after the election, get a grip. Also he bears absolutely no resemblance to him in body or mind? Snoke is just a dumb ersatz Palpatine.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

The movie literally came out like a month after the election, get a grip. Also he bears absolutely no resemblance to him in body or mind? Snoke is just a dumb ersatz Palpatine.

It was a year after, but the point stands. Other than the ostentatious style there’s not much Trumpian about him. Despite the fact that he turns out to be a dupe, he’s far too imposing to be any sort of Trump analogue; it’s too flattering.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Snoke is basically a stand-in for the mythical “crony capitalist,” your koch brothers or rupert murdochs or petrochemical executives, who ~subverts the system~ by using their wealth to fund bad actors like Hux.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Snoke's gaudy displays of wealth were actually inspired by Hugh Hefner, but between designing Snoke and debuting him, Hefner was very quickly eclipsed as the most relevant example of that archetype.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why does Rise of Skywalker not introduce any mystery element regarding Palpatine? It seems that even if we knew he was going to be in the movie, it would give the first two acts a little more oomph if the characters (the good guys and maybe Kylo too) went through all of the MacGuffin bullshit not knowing what they’d find at the end. If it built to the reveal of Palpatine, it would at least give the audience something to anticipate, even if they already knew he was showing up at some point. The fact that he shows up onscreen in the first 5 minutes and largely explains his entire agenda is just a really baffling decision.

As it is, our protagonists are jumping through a bunch of hoops to gather information that we already know, and to get to a location and character that we’ve already seen.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 28, 2020

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Little Death posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8-dWSLDWI

This is actually a reallly interesting breakdown of how cut and paste these movies were. And it's really interesting the John WIlliams wrote 3 hours of music for RoS, so makes me think what he saw was very different than what it got hacked into.

Thanks for posting that. When I saw RoS in theaters, the music seemed to just sort of congeal into a generic mush of Star WarsTM music. I hadn't planned on watching it a second time just for the music, so it was cool to see someone else dive in and pick out some of the nonsensical spots where older leitmotifs showed up.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

Why does Rise of Skywalker not introduce any mystery element regarding Palpatine?

Some of it was changed in editing. According to a leaked John Williams cue sheet from a November edit of the film, the order of events was:

• Opening crawl
  • Rey training
  • Kylo gets the Wayfinder
  • Poe and Finn get the data on the iceteroid
  • *sigh* Somehow Palpatine Returned
  • Kylo finds Palpatine on Exegol

It still revealed him before the end of the first act, but at least it didn't do it in the first scene and then have all the other characters play catch-up.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/sv-vIrbMawg

What is going on with that second planet? Why are there two falcons? I hate this sequence so much.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Blood Boils posted:

Does Kylo really count as a school shooter if his teacher drew first?

Does he count as a school shooter if he's thirty?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Some of it was changed in editing. According to a leaked John Williams cue sheet from a November edit of the film, the order of events was:

• Opening crawl
  • Rey training
  • Kylo gets the Wayfinder
  • Poe and Finn get the data on the iceteroid
  • *sigh* Somehow Palpatine Returned
  • Kylo finds Palpatine on Exegol

It still revealed him before the end of the first act, but at least it didn't do it in the first scene and then have all the other characters play catch-up.

Yeah that much is pretty easy to guess just watching the final cut, but it’s still rear end-backwards for us to see Palpatine and Exogol before act 1 is even over.

Now, I’m not saying that that holding off on the Palpatine reveal would make it a good reveal, but it would at least make the whole thing feel like, you know... a movie.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 28, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kylo being thirty is a pablo-ism, the movies could scarcely code him as a teenager any more strongly. That said trying to pretend adam driver of all people is a teen is extremely funny to be sure

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kylo being thirty is a pablo-ism, the movies could scarcely code him as a teenager any more strongly. That said trying to pretend adam driver of all people is a teen is extremely funny to be sure

“What’s up, fellow padawans?”

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

https://youtu.be/sv-vIrbMawg

What is going on with that second planet? Why are there two falcons? I hate this sequence so much.

Highly appropriate time to look away from your piloting to talk to Chewie, Poe. 5 milliseconds later: Everybody dies.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

Yeah that much is pretty easy to guess just watching the final cut, but it’s still rear end-backwards for us to see Palpatine and Exogol before act 1 is even over.

Now, I’m not saying that that holding off on the Palpatine reveal would make it a good reveal, but it would at least make the whole thing feel like, you know... a movie.

I don't think they cared by the time they got to editing. They just wanted to be done with everything.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The first act could be edited in any sequence and it wouldnt matter lol

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are there other major blockbusters that are assembled that haphazardly? I haven’t seen more than a couple MCU movies and dont generally catch the biggest blockbusters of the year, but I’m curious if RoS is uniquely awful in this respect or if it’s just unusually bad for Star Wars.

The last big movie I saw that felt so tonally strange and terribly edited was Jurassic World, but there was already precedent for bad JP movies.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It has a compound problem- the editing of the first act is as breakneck and disorienting as you’d expect when 70 minutes of plot is crammed into a 40 minute window, but even if you had a three hour cut where the sequence of events is the same but everything is more filled out, the plot construction is still critically flawed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't know if transformers is a cause celebre in CD these days- please forgive me if it is, I'm not trying to cause a derail- to me the ratio of breakneck pace to stupidity felt transformers-like more than anything

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

They pull it off okay in TFA because Adam Driver is a good actor and they frame him as long and gangly anytime you see his entire body in a shot. The times we see him without the helmet he's suitably flushed and obviously feigning confidence to hide his insecurity, usually in a confrontation with a father figure. Seemed alright to me.

I guess for the other two they just said gently caress it.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 28, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought we were talking about him being coded as a teenager in the TLJ flashback, not in all of the movies. In the present movies I think he’s just a manchild.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jewmanji posted:

Are there other major blockbusters that are assembled that haphazardly? I haven’t seen more than a couple MCU movies and dont generally catch the biggest blockbusters of the year, but I’m curious if RoS is uniquely awful in this respect or if it’s just unusually bad for Star Wars.

The last big movie I saw that felt so tonally strange and terribly edited was Jurassic World, but there was already precedent for bad JP movies.

You don’t even have to go outside of Star Wars to find one that’s at least as perplexing. Solo is like 1/2 a lord and miller comedy and 1/2 a bog standard adventure movie from the middle of the script pile with the names scraped off and replaced with Star Wars names. And they just sort of shuffled the two movies like a deck of cards. Jokes are set up but there’s no punchline because we switch to the other movie before it happens. Scenes follow one another but there isn’t any real reason for why they happen in the order they do. And 70 percent of the movie looks like it was filmed on an iPhone 5 inside a dingy garage.

At least RoS has manic energy. Solo is just a poorly constructed slog.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 28, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

J_RBG posted:

The dead gently caress!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lol, couldn't put the message itself in the crawl, which is where you put a message that the audience has to read before watching star wars

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You don’t even have to go outside of Star Wars to find one that’s at least as perplexing. Solo is like 1/2 a lord and miller comedy and 1/2 a bog standard adventure movie from the middle of the script pile with the names scraped off and replaced with Star Wars names. And they just sort of shuffled the two movies like a deck of cards. Jokes are set up but there’s no punchline because we switch to the other movie before it happens. Scenes follow one another but there isn’t any real reason for why they happen in the order they do. And 70 percent of the movie looks like it was filmed on an iPhone 5 inside a dingy garage.

At least RoS has manic energy. Solo is just a poorly constructed slot.

Solo is disjointed and unfunny and boring, but there’s at least a reason (albeit a stupid, avoidable one) that it’s so Frankensteined together.

Rise of Skywalker was made by one writing team and one director who seemingly had the leeway to make the movie they wanted, but they just could not figure the drat thing out. The movie for sure is weighed down by a number of bad decisions from the two movies that preceded it, but it goes ahead and piles a lot of unforced errors on top of that.

That said, I would rather rewatch Skywalker than Solo, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

lol, couldn't put the message itself in the crawl, which is where you put a message that the audience has to read before watching star wars

The message itself is a big nothing, so that doesn’t really matter. The weird thing is that they even included that detail in the crawl, since the Resistance seemingly either missed the message or doubted its veracity, since they don’t realize he’s returned until Poe returns with the intel. Either way, the transmission is a plot point that’s barely mentioned outside of the scroll and could be excised completely without changing anything.