Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah that fortnite thing is not the secret key to the film it's just the sith eternal's social media guru telling sheev to say some spooky stuff on a website the kids are really into these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Darth Sidious
@Chancellor Sheve Palpatine

Lyin’ Leia Organa continues to deny military activity by Republic proxies in sovereign FO systems despite ample evidence to the contrary. Very sad! Not surprising coming from the daughter of a NOTORIOUS MURDERER!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

General Dog posted:

Rise of Skywalker was made by one writing team and one director who seemingly had the leeway to make the movie they wanted

I don't believe this for a second. They already gave a guy leeway to make the movie he wanted and it made people yell at them, no way they were doing it twice

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

General Dog posted:

I thought we were talking about him being coded as a teenager in the TLJ flashback, not in all of the movies. In the present movies I think he’s just a manchild.

Did they not use the deaging CGI on Driver for that TLJ flashback? Between the darkness of the scene and the fact that we only really get glimpses of Kylo's face it seems like they were banking on people being more focused on Luke.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did they not use the deaging CGI on Driver for that TLJ flashback? Between the darkness of the scene and the fact that we only really get glimpses of Kylo's face it seems like they were banking on people being more focused on Luke.

If they did I think it was pretty subtle. I think just in terms of how he looks the scene is fine. I prefer making the leap that he’s supposed to be 15 or whatever over them doing something more distracting like creepy CGI or casting a younger look-alike for the one scene.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Media has a long tradition of pretending 20-30 year olds are teenagers. Kylo Ren is just part of a storied heritage like Dawson's Creek and Power Rangers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

General Dog posted:

If they did I think it was pretty subtle. I think just in terms of how he looks the scene is fine. I prefer making the leap that he’s supposed to be 15 or whatever over them doing something more distracting like creepy CGI or casting a younger look-alike for the one scene.

they pretty much had to use adam driver for those flashbacks because using a younger actor would just further underline how hosed up it is that luke is considering murdering a child for thought crimes

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
There was nothing that could be done by the editing team to salvage ROS. The only way it would have been a decent conclusion to the trilogy is to not retread on old ground. Bringing the emperor back was just insulting to the fan base. They knew it too because they didn't even bother to try to justify his presence.

"Yea, gently caress it, maybe he's cloned? either this is a clone, or maybe the original one thirty years ago was a clone? maybe he lived through the explosion and vacuum of space... we don't really give a gently caress... here, eat your star wars you loving pricks" *plunges spoonfull of nostalgia into your already full mouth until you gag / vomit*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I don’t think anybody is saying the movie was ruined in the edit, just that the edit doesn’t do an already weak story any favors.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

Does Kylo really count as a school shooter if his teacher drew first?

2house2fly posted:

Does he count as a school shooter if he's thirty?

We should be very clear exactly what’s going on:

-The school is, more specifically, a paramilitary compound/training camp.

-College-age Ben Solo is flirting with leftist thought, so his instructor/handler (Luke) enacts a plan to quietly murder him.

-Ben escapes the assassination attempt, and convinces half the trainees to leave with him.

-The other half of the trainees now draw arms against these rebellious leftists, and a fierce battle ensues.

-Ben and the guys handily defeat their enemies, but Ben is left psychologically scarred by the experience. Abandoning his old identity, he becomes Kylo Ren - a Space-Soviet space crusader.

-

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

https://youtu.be/bz6PgdhhkUM

Maybe the worst setup for a central conflict in any movie I’ve seen in years. What more needs to be said?

One has to give credit to the editor who managed to find a reaction shot of Carrie Fisher in which she seems to be showing just as much contempt for the material as Oscar Isaac had delivering the line.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Dark science. Cloning. Secrets only the Sith knew."

Tell me more, random background character who mysteriously knows far more than any of the main characters

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vinylshadow posted:

"Dark science. Cloning. Secrets only the Sith knew."

Tell me more, random background character who mysteriously knows far more than any of the main characters

Inst that the funny junkie guy from Lost?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

He was also a secondary hobbit

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good posted:

He was also a secondary hobbit

"What about Palpatine?"
"You've already killed him."
"We've killed one, yes. What about Second Palpatine?"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He's in the movie because he won a soccer bet with JJ Abrams. His character is apparently a historian who helped Rey translate the ancient Jedi books and is an expert in occult languages. In one scene, he translates a transmission being sent in the Sith language.

Nobody thought to ask him about the dagger.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I find it kind of endearing that JJ Abrams seems to keep making friends with people he works with and finding excuses to get them bit parts in his next project

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I find it kind of endearing that JJ Abrams seems to keep making friends with people he works with and finding excuses to get them bit parts in his next project

Maybe they're the only people left willing to work on his projects with him.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDMTiamRRY

Legends of the Hidden Temple but star war is the ultimate millennial pandering. gently caress the blue banthas I’m a green gungans man

why the gently caress are they all dressed like han solo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

why the gently caress are they all dressed like han solo

Same reason Cassian and Poe have the exact same jacket three decades apart

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They got so much mileage out of Luke's award ceremony jacket. There was some nerd blog detailing how they skirted the line at galaxy's edge with a non-costume costume and it basically looked like that

But good for Ahmed for being able to show his face in more ways than one. Get some disney money dude

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ahmed looks good as a Jedi too :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDMTiamRRY

Legends of the Hidden Temple but star war is the ultimate millennial pandering. gently caress the blue banthas I’m a green gungans man

Uh, is it just me or does that starburst logo right at the beginning of the trailer look like someone bending over and showing off their butthole?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Always found it funny that disney has embraced that alliance logo but with a lightsaber as the jedi logo when it's such a new invention (wasnt in a movie until the last jedi)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

How many origins have they had for the Rebel Alliance symbol? By my count they've got:
  • Modified Jedi symbol
  • Starkiller's family crest
  • Sabine's signature
  • Saw's symbol in the Clone Wars
  • Apparently it was on a prequel-era Republic ship in a comic too.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I just spent 10 minutes trying to find out who designed it in real life but I'm bogged down in sites explaining your bullet points

I would think McQuarrie but I can't remember any in his work, so maybe Johnston or one of those other guys? At any rate I don't remember any in the first film except on the helmets, maybe shoulders

Just annoyed that you cant find who made an iconic film design even the official site refers you to a dennys placement

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Maybe it's just the Star Wars equivalent of that weird S symbol kids scrawl on their books in school all the time

or they co-opted a brand logo. The Rebellion, brought to you by Space Pepsi.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Gnome de plume posted:

Maybe it's just the Star Wars equivalent of that weird S symbol kids scrawl on their books in school all the time

or they co-opted a brand logo. The Rebellion, brought to you by Space Pepsi.

The cool S should have been Snoke's logo

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

I just spent 10 minutes trying to find out who designed it in real life but I'm bogged down in sites explaining your bullet points

I would think McQuarrie but I can't remember any in his work, so maybe Johnston or one of those other guys? At any rate I don't remember any in the first film except on the helmets, maybe shoulders

Just annoyed that you cant find who made an iconic film design even the official site refers you to a dennys placement

It was probably costume designer John Mollo. His early sketches don't have that logo exactly, but they do have emblems with a similar vibe.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Are those real sketches from the actual costume designer of a major Hollywood movie?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Robot Style posted:

It was probably costume designer John Mollo. His early sketches don't have that logo exactly, but they do have emblems with a similar vibe.

Lol that’s gotta be the Johnny five aces guy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Papercut posted:

Are those real sketches from the actual costume designer of a major Hollywood movie?

His job is to make clothes that look good on screen, which is itself an extremely skill intensive discipline. I think he can be forgiven somewhat for drawing like rear end.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I love the sassy poses.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hood over helmet flashlight eyes vader has major anakin energy lol

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Papercut posted:

It wasn't major at the time - it had about a fifth of the budget of the first Superman movie.

His illustrations for Empire were a little more refined:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shocked I've never seen all of these before

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Robot Style posted:

It wasn't major at the time - it had about a fifth of the budget of the first Superman movie.

Though it should be noted that Superman was like the most expensive movie ever made at that point.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drat I've always loved the jut-jaw-teardrop death star gunner helmet.

OctoberCountry posted:

"What about Palpatine?"
"You've already killed him."
"We've killed one, yes. What about Second Palpatine?"
lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Pretty good posted:

drat I've always loved the jut-jaw-teardrop death star gunner helmet.

Hands-free snacking while I power up the death ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

His job is to make clothes that look good on screen, which is itself an extremely skill intensive discipline. I think he can be forgiven somewhat for drawing like rear end.

The drawings aren't even that bad. The grasp of anatomy is mostly fine although clearly stylized, the detail on the clothing (which is the most important thing here for the purpose) is good even, the coloring is obviously super rushed colored pencil or whatever but when texture is important it gets that across.

Like these aren't the highly polished and detailed McQuarrie paintings that were also used to help pitch the movie, they're just quick sketches to help plan the costumes.