Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

Finished the router extension wing for my table saw. Now just need to make a fence for it.

I presume that stop button is exactly at knee-height

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm digging the shop furniture posts, bmJ.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Agreed, that's a sweet set up and I love the legs!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hadlock posted:

It will be when the table is sunk into the floor joists

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

bEatmstrJ posted:

Finished the router extension wing for my table saw. Now just need to make a fence for it.

That’s a good job - where did you get the slot hardware and the longer fence rail?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

Nice, I got the same router plate in the mail yesterday. Did you use the Kreg plate levelers with it?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Rotten Cookies posted:

It will be when the table is sunk into the floor joists

I should use some of those leftover joists to make a fence.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

That’s a good job - where did you get the slot hardware and the longer fence rail?

T-Track is PowerTec from Amazon. The fence rail is actually stock. It's a 36" tablesaw but they only give you cast iron up to about 20" or so and the rail just extends beyond that.

Poisonlizard posted:

Nice, I got the same router plate in the mail yesterday. Did you use the Kreg plate levelers with it?

I did, but only because I didn't know they weren't required. Apparently its just so you don't have to cut a rabbet, but I would have been perfectly fine with that. I guess it winds up being a cleaner cutout, but honestly it's probably a lot easier to install in a rabbet instead. Probably gives you more wiggle-room for error too I would think.

Though there is something satisfying about making a perfectly sized cutout.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 31, 2020

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Did someone say shop furniture projects?

Finished my mobile mitre saw stand. Biggest project to date and very happy with it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah mobile tool stands rule. Nicely done!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Slash posted:

Did someone say shop furniture projects?

Finished my mobile mitre saw stand. Biggest project to date and very happy with it.

Nice! That's very similar to the design i'm looking at for my miter saw. Did you follow a plan for this one?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

bEatmstrJ posted:

Nice! That's very similar to the design i'm looking at for my miter saw. Did you follow a plan for this one?

Yes it was from a chap on Youtube. His channel is called Fix This Build That. His plans are very good and there is also a build video.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Slash posted:

Yes it was from a chap on Youtube. His channel is called Fix This Build That. His plans are very good and there is also a build video.

That's the same plan I was going to use. Let me know if there's anything you would change. Probably gonna put this together after I build a workbench.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

bEatmstrJ posted:

That's the same plan I was going to use. Let me know if there's anything you would change. Probably gonna put this together after I build a workbench.

I used pocket screws to construct the wings so that there wouldn’t be any screwheads on the top surface. That’s the only change I made.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Purchased a new home and my partner wanted some floating shelves. I have absolutely no experience making anything apart from electronics projects so we got some quotes from a few local woodworking guys. They came in around $300-500 and after expressing some sticker shock (poo poo idk how much things cost) one of them suggested buying some tools and making it myself (helpfully and not sarcastically lol).

So a few hours of YouTube videos and spending probably $1000 at Lowes on tools, I spent the next several weekends making floating shelves, planter boxes, and a bookshelf I'm really happy with. My wife wants to get into this as well because now we have a project backlog 20 items deep and it takes me a weekend to do the simplest thing :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
From "no experience" to that stuff in several weekends? That's amazing work -- you clearly have a knack for it!

But as for this

First Time Caller posted:

it takes me a weekend to do the simplest thing :v:

let me tell you how long drat near every. single. one. of my projects takes. Unless I'm turning, which I think is best done in a single shot, it's going to take loving ages.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Trabant posted:

From "no experience" to that stuff in several weekends? That's amazing work -- you clearly have a knack for it!

But as for this

let me tell you how long drat near every. single. one. of my projects takes. Unless I'm turning, which I think is best done in a single shot, it's going to take loving ages.

I look at it this way: It takes me 4 hours to make a proper loaf of bread. Why would it surprise me that it takes that long to progress on more permanent projects?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Every saturday I have all day free I wake up and think about just how far I'm going to get on a project, then the sun starts to go down and I think well at least I finished this jig so I can get right to it tomorrow.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bobua posted:

Every saturday I have all day free I wake up and think about just how far I'm going to get on a project, then the sun starts to go down and I think well at least I finished this jig so I can get right to it tomorrow.

*next morning*
"No rush, since I got all the prep work done yesterday"
*sun sets*

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bobua posted:

Fifteen Ninety percent concentrated power of jigs

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Router fence for the new router table.

Also made a storage cart for sheet goods and scraps

Next up is the workbench/outfeed table

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I need that sheet/scrap cart in a real bad way.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

bobua posted:

https://youtu.be/AbSehcT19u0

Every. Single. Time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm in the middle of building a darkroom and part of that included restoring this enlarging easel.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Three projects in one frame.
Three 10x3x2 planter boxes made of pressure treated lumber and galvanized corrugated iron roofing, 300sqft of artificial turf, and a big rad cedar playhouse and swingset from Costco.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I have been working on a Miter station/storage wall. It is fenceless with T tracks and stop blocks so the full 3ft depth (this saw is a monster) can be utilized if need be. Still a laundry list to do but figured I'd show some progress shots.

The inner cabinet areas will have 6 drawers each for a total of 12 drawers.

The right side was angled to allow for a bit more breathing room at the lathe and I plan to have the grinder in the back corner. I am going to do a piano hinged door around the opening.

You can see in those pictures the surface directly around the saw are separate pieces. I did these as inserts that can be removed as this saw can go 70 degrees in both directions.

The dust collection is tied into my shop system with a catch all in the back and run underneath with some printed couplings. It uses a push/pull cable to the front for easy access to the blast gate.

The tops are 6ft on the left and 4ft on the right but that does not limit it.

It was positioned to allow a full 10ft board on the left leaving a bit over 9ft on the right.

Things I still need to do are put the T tracks in the removable pieces, make the 12 drawers, door for right opening, build shroud for back of saw to mitigate dust, upper cabinets, tool wall, and properly attach push/pull cable.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I needed a lamp. So I made a lamp.

Walnut and dark stain danish oil. Some specialty diffuser acrylic for the panels, I had it from some other project, I forget what.

We got new porch furniture recently so Mrs. Bad and I have been sitting out on the porch most nights to chat and drink wine after the kids go to bed. Had to borrow a night light from the kids when we tried to play cards the other night, so this should fix that.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
That is a very nice lamp! Just for scale how big are the posts?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Half inch. If I recall, the diffuser panels are 2.5”x7”.

It was all very design-as-you-go, I’m afraid of id sat down to actually plan ahead, that’s all I would have done. Would have been a killer flawless lamp with all sorts of features like rgb bluetooth le controlled lighting and a companion app and it’d tweet when it gets dark out and whatever else you can dream of. But I skipped the design phase, and so in return, I got an actual functional lamp. :v:

e: Measured, the whole thing is 3.5” across and 10” tall.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That is a nice little lamp.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Automatic cat feeder; uses an IoT relay with wifi (Shelly) to feed the moggy on a schedule or via phone shortcut.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Finished the grim determination. And most of the sanding. (It rained last night and all the wood swelled, more sanding is required.)

Also a shout-out to the town board of health who forced me to move it literally 10 feet, directly into the embankment and making the built roughly 100% harder.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s way nicer than mine. Jealous

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I built some monkeybars for my kid to play on this weekend.

Planning on expanding it and adding like a fort and a swing later this summer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Finished the grim determination. And most of the sanding. (It rained last night and all the wood swelled, more sanding is required.)

Very nice coop! How many birbs are you going to have in there?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm no coop expert but that is the nicest one I've ever seen.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elder Postsman posted:

Planning on expanding it and adding like a fort and a swing later this summer.

For a moment I thought this was the chicken coop poster, and thought "wow, those chickens are very well taken care of"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Call for a DIY IK
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930843

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Very nice coop! How many birbs are you going to have in there?

We have 6 currently, going up to 8.

The town I live in had some chicken wars recently and brought in like a chicken marshall to straighten it all out. She recommended I not exceed 8 for the time being, which is fine for us for now. We just wanted some chickens, don't need a chicken farm. (The rules for chickens are tied to setbacks, and the coop is technically next to a wetlands even though it's literally just like a 25 foot across valley.)

canyoneer posted:

For a moment I thought this was the chicken coop poster, and thought "wow, those chickens are very well taken care of"

Coop already has a swing. :whatup:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Theme to lockdown I finally made a tabletop arcade machine. It's something I've been putting off preparing to make for a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's awesome. Retropie/Mame?