Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I always assumed that the Two Rivers Bow was a legacy of Manetheren that simply stuck in the region because Two Rivers folk are stubborn as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gnoman posted:

I always assumed that the Two Rivers Bow was a legacy of Manetheren that simply stuck in the region because Two Rivers folk are stubborn as hell.

yeah, most likely. they used to be the centerpiece of an ancient nation that was known for whooping rear end. more than swords or axes they're going to hold onto the bow still, because it can be used for purposes other than just war. it's a pretty neat little detail that's always fun when it's brought up, because i can imagine the thing would be able to explode a trolloc's head.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I always thought it was a riff on the english longbow, since the two rivers seemed very quaint English farming land-y

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's the Doylist explanation. We're doing Watsonian.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ok then, bandits aren't found in the two rivers because they dont like having arrow holes punched through three people at once by their massive longbows, also the two rivers folk hunt rabbits with their giant clubs of longbows when they run out of arrows

Uh I kinda wrote this backwards but those are the reasons the longbows still exist

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 2, 2020

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always thought it was a riff on the english longbow, since the two rivers seemed very quaint English farming land-y

Going by my extremely shaky knowledge of history there used to be a law in England saying that people(or at least some % of people) had to train with longbows. Two Rivers folks just do it for funsies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, most likely. they used to be the centerpiece of an ancient nation that was known for whooping rear end. more than swords or axes they're going to hold onto the bow still, because it can be used for purposes other than just war. it's a pretty neat little detail that's always fun when it's brought up, because i can imagine the thing would be able to explode a trolloc's head.

Also, historically, a long bow *is* probably a superior weapon vs even a fairly sophisticated crossbow, it just takes a lot of additional training to use well. If you've already sunk cost in the training, no point in switching.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What else are they gonna do? Their biggest day of the year is getting drunk and running around a maypole.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, historically, a long bow *is* probably a superior weapon vs even a fairly sophisticated crossbow, it just takes a lot of additional training to use well. If you've already sunk cost in the training, no point in switching.

Yeah, the history nerds on Youtube have done a lot of tests and a longbow is better IF you have the training to use one and are in a suitable environment (hard to use indoors, on a ship or with overhanging branches). But if you need to you can just round up a bunch of random folks, give em crossbows, and have "good enough" levels of soldier by the time you've marched to the battlefield. The machine itself is more complicated/expensive, but the person doesn't have to be as a result.

I like Tod's Workshop for that sort of thing. When he does comparisons he's willing to look at the actual tools and say stuff like "well in the test this one was clearly better, but we have evidence of these being used instead. Let's discuss why they may have chosen to do so, because people back then were more primitive in technology but they weren't stupid."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 2, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's probably one of the most distinct things that drives home the idea of the two rivers and surrounding areas actually being the last remnants of an ancient land, because it's one thing to go on about it and say 'by golly these people are tough like old tree roots' but it's another thing entirely for someone like mat to go 'oh, yeah, a good two rivers bow needs to literally be a few hands taller than the person drawing it, what's this weak poo poo in other nations' at which point it'll all start clicking into place

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s been said before but Mat proving a quarter staff is better than a sword is a top moment in the books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s been said before but Mat proving a quarter staff is better than a sword is a top moment in the books.

Yes but more so the Warder being like 'hell yes I want to see this happen hey everyone gather around to watch these two get wrecked'

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
gotta wonder why they didnt teach the warders to use quarterstaves

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Whoever heard of a knight fighting with a quarter staff?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

awesmoe posted:

gotta wonder why they didnt teach the warders to use quarterstaves

They don't have Heron marked quarterstaves. Also, I'm betting that warder who was all gung ho about Mat kicking some rear end knew how to use one.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
im just saying that if the warden trainer is willing to take a bet on rando farmer with qs vs 2x v.good warden trainees w/ swords, EITHER warden training should be literally farming or they should be arming them with quarterstaves

seaborgium posted:

They don't have Heron marked quarterstaves.
lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey dude if you want to roll into the White Tower and try tell them to use staves instead of swords you just be my guest

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That being said the imagery of Galad going into a dive-roll and catching his sword and coming up ready to fight is dope af

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I remember the guy's lecture afterward it wasn't that the quarterstaff was superior but that it was quite usable and they underestimated it. Don't assume someone has to have a sword to be a threat to you.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"who was the greatest swordsman of all time!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, and Mat capitalised on it. He didn't give them a chance to be dangerous because he just straight wasted them. Partly because he was literally dying of hunger and didn't have time to waste

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I also suspect Jordan was putting in an Easter egg for HEMA and reenactment nerds (iirc, Jordan was in that community), because historically swords were basically fancy sidearms that didn't take part in battle too often because of their limited reach, high expense, and next to zero usefulness against armor.

A staff, or spear, would pretty easily destroy a guy with a sword.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Reach is everything.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I always wondered how long a sword could last in a battle hitting shields and armor until it changes from something that effortlessly glides through a grown man’s leg to a blunt metal stick with a sharp point.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

I always wondered how long a sword could last in a battle hitting shields and armor until it changes from something that effortlessly glides through a grown man’s leg to a blunt metal stick with a sharp point.

most swords did not have particularly sharp edges. if they did, my understanding is that one side was edged.

i think poking people was generally the way to go.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Swords mostly didn't get used for that by most armies -- a sword is the ancient equivalent of a pistol, nice to have on your hip but not the first recourse -- and the armies that did go big into swords generally used them as stabbing weapons (hello Mr. Roman Gladius!).

As for the reason warders didn't walk around with quarterstaves: you try walking around the halls of the White Tower with a seven foot long stick day in and day out and see how long it takes you to get tired of it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

As for the reason warders didn't walk around with quarterstaves: you try walking around the halls of the White Tower with a seven foot long stick day in and day out and see how long it takes you to get tired of it.

all you ever hear about the white tower is that its made for zillions of people and now its empty (aside from all the assassins and corpses). There's plenty of opportunity for a young man to swing his staff around

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i think popular media has really put forward this idea of regular people just kinda casually hewing through things by whipping around a sword as long as their arm even though it'd take something much bigger than that to even have the weight to accomplish such a thing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes, but think how cool they’d be holding an Ashandarei.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Did everyone in this thread recently watch a terrible youtube video about medieval 'facts' or something?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

Did everyone in this thread recently watch a terrible youtube video about medieval 'facts' or something?

No, reach is everything in larping, that's my experience. :haw:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mossyfisk posted:

*tugs collar*

Just one? No, I didn't just watch *a* video

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You don't need much weight to cut through bone in the kitchen tbh. Raw bone is pretty soft which is why dogs can eat them but not cooked. I can't imagine any type of sword would have trouble aside from fencing... which may not have an edge? You'd sharpen after each use ofc.

Maybe it's just because I use japanese waterstones :anime: but I also don't think swords from around there are made to primarily stab.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You don't need much weight to cut through bone in the kitchen tbh. Raw bone is pretty soft which is why dogs can eat them but not cooked. I can't imagine any type of sword would have trouble aside from fencing... which may not have an edge? You'd sharpen after each use ofc.

Maybe it's just because I use japanese waterstones :anime: but I also don't think swords from around there are made to primarily stab.

Japanese swords have an edge geometry closer to a kitchen knife than western swords did, because Japanese swords were designed to cut people and cloth/bamboo armor. Western swords needed blunter edges because they were designed to survive and not break or chip against people wearing metal armor.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And then magical artifact swords are created in WoT that do both ... (ok, they're super rare, and not even many of the Warders have them)

Who wears heavy/metal armor in Randland anyway? Seanchan have some kind of plate, though I don't remember if it's supposed to be metal, I think Shienarans are supposed to wear some kind of heavy stuff?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 3, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Whitecloaks do don’t they?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Who wears heavy/metal armor in Randland anyway? Seanchan have some kind of plate, though I don't remember if it's supposed to be metal, I think Shienarans are supposed to wear some kind of heavy stuff?
Breastplates and helmets seem to be the norm in Randland. It's what the Cairhienan and Tairens were wearing when they went to war in Fires of Heaven. The Legion of the Dragon wore heavy coats over breastplates. Whitecloaks are described as wearing chain and breastplates.

The Seanchan wore lamellar armor to go with their samurai aesthetic.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

Is it consensual if prophecy says you’re gonna bone?

Nothing is consensual in WoT because the pattern is a random number generator within very narrow constraints that doesn't actually allow for free will.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Much like your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Much like your posting

The post wasn't the beginning. There is no beginning to the bad posts. But it was a beginning.