Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Unlucky7 posted:

I am not sure what you are trying to say?

The model is way too orange. It's not even slightly red compared to everything else including its own box art and pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Yes but C5 or C6?

C6 has a few more parts than the C5 but they're the same basic robot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I liked my EVA Unit-02 so much I got a Unit-00 from the same line. This time I took a picture of the weird arm sprue and thought I'd share.

That's both arms cast in blue and white plastic, plus white rubber (note the flexible bit being lifted by the file), and a little grey in the shoulder sockets. You cut the whole assembly off of the sprue, then pull both arms off of the blue X piece. You pull the blue plugs out of the wrists - there is no shower of blood as you might expect from an Eva - with pliers, they're in tight. All of this is in service to casting the blue blades as part of the arm. Working on EVAs really does do funny things to your head.

The recessed areas around the upper arms and on the lower arms will be filled in with black pieces. On the one hand, this pose looks exactly like the classic slumped shoulders and dangling arms Eva pose. On the other hand, this is an HG kit with zero arm articulation at the elbow. Other than the elbow issue, this is at least as detailed a kit as your average HG. The torso articulation is very nice and emphasizes the not-quite human nature of the EVA units.

Next unit, the RG EVA-01 that finally showed up !

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Does this one not count?

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3700/

It's supposedly an all Okawara redesign.

That's the Origin kit I was thinking was on its way. Didn't realize it was out yet.

I'm all over that Okawara redesign. He likes the chunky bot look rather than the slimthicc style.
Didn't he also design the 40th anniversary one that looked like a Ferrari?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Southern California Gundam Model Competition will be an online event 6-8 NOV it appears: http://thosegundamguys.org/scgmc-vercov/

This is the show that Gamera Baenre started in 2011. It was initially Gundam and other mecha but has expanded to include general science fiction and anime, both plastic and resin.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's the Origin kit I was thinking was on its way. Didn't realize it was out yet.

I'm all over that Okawara redesign. He likes the chunky bot look rather than the slimthicc style.
Didn't he also design the 40th anniversary one that looked like a Ferrari?

No, that was Ken Okuyama.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I liked my EVA Unit-02 so much I got a Unit-00 from the same line. This time I took a picture of the weird arm sprue and thought I'd share.

That's both arms cast in blue and white plastic, plus white rubber (note the flexible bit being lifted by the file), and a little grey in the shoulder sockets. You cut the whole assembly off of the sprue, then pull both arms off of the blue X piece. You pull the blue plugs out of the wrists - there is no shower of blood as you might expect from an Eva - with pliers, they're in tight. All of this is in service to casting the blue blades as part of the arm. Working on EVAs really does do funny things to your head.

The recessed areas around the upper arms and on the lower arms will be filled in with black pieces. On the one hand, this pose looks exactly like the classic slumped shoulders and dangling arms Eva pose. On the other hand, this is an HG kit with zero arm articulation at the elbow. Other than the elbow issue, this is at least as detailed a kit as your average HG. The torso articulation is very nice and emphasizes the not-quite human nature of the EVA units.

This actually looks a lot like the multicolor sprue in the RG Eva, used for the horn, eye moulding, and bicep. Neat that it shows up in the HG too!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Believe it or not, but the elbows do have (slight) articulation. It's a little stiff and there's not a huge degree of movement, but it's there. I don't have the instructions handy but I believe it's pointed out in there.

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
I can't get enough of the Zoids Gojulas cannon. This time built as a shoulder mounted cannon for the 1/12 Threezero Votoms Scopedog toy. VOPAAC -VOtoms Portable Anti Armor Cannon. Parts to bash this together came from the Zoids Gojulas cannon set, Mega Size 1/48 Zaku kit, HG custom build giant gatling kit, N-scale railroad trestle, and brass dowels.

full album - https://imgur.com/gallery/RZSglfw

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

Goddamn, that sprue looks like a helluva thing. The multicolor parts in the RG kit are all pretty small, and only two colors each.

I started my RG kit a couple days ago and just.. god :drat:

The level of detail and articulation is ridiculous here. Parts move like you would expect from muscles and bones. You can actually get the sense that this is a living thing from putting it together.

As an unexpected bonus, most of the parts are a softer plastic than most gunpla. Makes it much, much easier to cut parts out without tool marks or stress marks. I think the only hard plastic parts I've come across so far were for the transport platform, and the red/clear bits. Everything else is kinda soft and flexy.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

that scopedog is dope af

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bees on Wheat posted:

Goddamn, that sprue looks like a helluva thing. The multicolor parts in the RG kit are all pretty small, and only two colors each.

The level of detail and articulation is ridiculous here. Parts move like you would expect from muscles and bones. You can actually get the sense that this is a living thing from putting it together.

As an unexpected bonus, most of the parts are a softer plastic than most gunpla. Makes it much, much easier to cut parts out without tool marks or stress marks. I think the only hard plastic parts I've come across so far were for the transport platform, and the red/clear bits. Everything else is kinda soft and flexy.

After that description, I wouldn't have blinked if you'd ended your last sentence with "... and disquietingly warm."

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Phy posted:

After that description, I wouldn't have blinked if you'd ended your last sentence with "... and disquietingly warm."

Hang on, let me try connecting the umbilical cable..

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So the first SD kit I've owned since about 1996 showed up today, and I gotta say I don't normally like SD kits (or at least, I didn't back then) but the CS SD kits are actually pretty neat.

Plus it helps that its a model I like.

Here he is with his bigger buddy, while the Avalanche Exia looks on probably with disapproval.

Weirdly enough, I didnlt get one of those wire sections for the back blade in the HG version of the kit. Anyone happen to know where I could get a replacement, or what gauge wire it is?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Anyone who's pre-ordered on HLJ before:
I've got 3 pre-ordered kits that say 'June release'. Will they eventually give a more specific date, or will I just get an email when it's released.

I guess I shouldn't be worrying too much cause I can't get them shipped anyways, but my Eva 01 order getting dropped has made me antsy.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
In my experience, they don't. You're better off using other sites such as the manufacturer's own for more accurate dates. And even then, it pays to check in on say, a weekly basis to see if release dates have changed.

Personally, I use the Bandai site for Bandai stuff.
https://bandai-hobby.net/schedule/202006/ (this should be the link for this month. I see 2 Eva releases on the 20th)

And for everything else I use this.
https://myfigurecollection.net/ (Go to databases->calendar and filter for figures to get the model kits. BIG WARNING, the place also lists 18+ items so be mindful where you click.)

And while I'm on the subject of HLJ, if an item goes straight from pre-order to out of stock/discontinued, don't be too alarmed. As long as you've pre-ordered, you should still get yours ready for shipping in a day or 2.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

Moai Ou posted:

Believe it or not, but the elbows do have (slight) articulation. It's a little stiff and there's not a huge degree of movement, but it's there. I don't have the instructions handy but I believe it's pointed out in there.

Can confirm the elbows flex. Firm but constant pressure, so you don't break any of the internal jointing.

Just don't paint them. The rubber sleeves hold up to paint and primer perfectly well, but the second you bend the joint it'll push things far enough to tear your paint.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Mephiston posted:

So the first SD kit I've owned since about 1996 showed up today, and I gotta say I don't normally like SD kits (or at least, I didn't back then) but the CS SD kits are actually pretty neat.

Plus it helps that its a model I like.

Here he is with his bigger buddy, while the Avalanche Exia looks on probably with disapproval.

Weirdly enough, I didnlt get one of those wire sections for the back blade in the HG version of the kit. Anyone happen to know where I could get a replacement, or what gauge wire it is?

That is fantastic. I might get that to replace the Barbatos that went MIA in my last move.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

maninthesuit posted:

In my experience, they don't. You're better off using other sites such as the manufacturer's own for more accurate dates. And even then, it pays to check in on say, a weekly basis to see if release dates have changed.

Personally, I use the Bandai site for Bandai stuff.
https://bandai-hobby.net/schedule/202006/ (this should be the link for this month. I see 2 Eva releases on the 20th)
For Bandai items in particular, they only list the month of release on announcement. The exact date gets confirmed and added somewhere around the end of the previous month. So June release dates weren't available until the end of May.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

RG Nu Gundam HWS and HWS expansion up on PB today.

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1268321407861002240?s=19

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still have my Ver Ka HWS, lmao

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are Ver Ka models really that much better than the equivalent base models? I am not sure if I ‘get’ it, but then it may be a little better in person than in pictures

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Are Ver Ka models really that much better than the equivalent base models? I am not sure if I ‘get’ it, but then it may be a little better in person than in pictures

They're not an upgrade, just a redesign by Katoki. Whether it's better than the equivalent non-Ver. Ka depends entirely on the model itself.

The original MG Nu Gundam is a lot older than the Ver. Ka so in engineering terms the VK is better.
Conversely the VK Unicorn came out first and the non-VK MG is the exact same model but they fixed a few problems with it so unless you want all the decals ever, the non-VK is actually objectively better.

Design-wise it's all a matter of taste. I see a lot of Japanese modelers on twitter who prefer the proportions of the janky original run Gunpla for some reason.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 4, 2020

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Uh, guys. I think I have a problem.

oof.

I dunno if its kosher or not to suggest places to get kits, but my local guy in Melbourne, Australia is pretty awesome. I would like to send business his way cause he's a small store owner that bends over backwards to get kits, so let me know if it's cool to name drop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mephiston posted:

Uh, guys. I think I have a problem.

oof.

I dunno if its kosher or not to suggest places to get kits, but my local guy in Melbourne, Australia is pretty awesome. I would like to send business his way cause he's a small store owner that bends over backwards to get kits, so let me know if it's cool to name drop.

You name this person and their store right loving goddamn now so I can make terrible shopping decisions in the future :shepspends:.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Is that Gundams Plus?

I keep meaning to go out there whenever I'm down there but always miss out.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Puddin posted:

Is that Gundams Plus?

I keep meaning to go out there whenever I'm down there but always miss out.

Yep, Gundams Plus.
Here's its facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GundamsPlus/
It's worth checking out cause he does a huge pic dump whenever he gets deliveries, and you can pick from them.

Darryl (the store owner) lives in my area, so he delivers kits to me on the way home from the store, and he's approximately twelve thousand times better than Metro Hobbies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mephiston posted:

Yep, Gundams Plus.
It's worth checking out cause he does a huge pic dump whenever he gets deliveries, and you can pick from them.

Darryl (the store owner) lives in my area, so he delivers kits to me on the way home from the store, and he's approximately twelve thousand times better than Metro Hobbies.

Metro Hobbies actually had some pretty great stock towards the end of its life, and it was great just for convenience if nothing else. Hearns Hobbie's is also well worth a visit, as they get P-Bandai stuff in sometimes, even if you'll have to pay out through the nose to get them.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Mephiston posted:

Yep, Gundams Plus.

I'll definitely make an effort to go down there next time I'm down. Metro Hobbies is such a nothing store, here's 75 copies of random gunpla that nobody asked for.

Hearns seemed to have gone down hill a bit as well. Their collection was a bit lacking the last few times I've visited. I overheard the owner talking poo poo about Daryl the last time I was there too. I gathered he used to work there and left to open Gundams Plus and he was salty about it.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Most of the retail staff of Metro are good enough folk, but the owner is a twat. Took them 3 weeks to get back to me via email (they werent taking phone calls) when they didnt send me the NG Vayette I ordered from them. Got a SD Lupus Rex out of it though, even though I still had to pay the difference. That took a few more weeks to resolve.

I know the owner of Metro also owns I think Frontline, and probably Hearns. I don't wanna talk poo poo about them, but yeah, never going to Metro again, particularly when GP will deliver to my drat door.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Metro Hobbies actually had some pretty great stock towards the end of its life, and it was great just for convenience if nothing else. Hearns Hobbie's is also well worth a visit, as they get P-Bandai stuff in sometimes, even if you'll have to pay out through the nose to get them.

Hearn's seem to be getting a whole lot more P-Bandai lately, but yeah it's marked up insanely. It's like they're paying the same reseller cost any of us would and then tacking on their own considerable margin.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

Ver Ka models aren't better per se, but they do seem to push the limits of what the medium can do. I've seen that a lot of them struggle to support the proportions that end up on them (see the Wing KA that cannot for the life of it support the buster rifle, or the MG Nu where the fin funnels cannot stay together as a single unit in the wing setup). But they also tend to have a bunch of cool details you wouldn't find on the regular kits on the frame etc, and the do come with a millions stickers and decals so thats a bonus.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a robot!
https://imgur.com/a/9BCM9qs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty8nZwkAWyE

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Because of the perspective in that video it looks like you have one teeny tiny hand. XD That's a great robot overall. The tail sword is both rad and silly as hell.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Bees on Wheat posted:

It is an amazing kit isn't it? I just have to do the accessories and decals.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I've decided to continue to procrastinate on doing the waterslides for my Hi-Nu and started on the RG Eva, I've only done the chest so far but I am loving this build.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

d3lness posted:

Because of the perspective in that video it looks like you have one teeny tiny hand. XD That's a great robot overall.

Please do not make fun of my hosed-up gremlin hand

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RillAkBea posted:

Design-wise it's all a matter of taste. I see a lot of Japanese modelers on twitter who prefer the proportions of the janky original run Gunpla for some reason.

I like some Katokis, but I also feel like he sucks a lot of the personality out of other people's designs. His suits always feel like "This is a machine that just happens to have a head and limbs". Which is a valid way of depicting real robots, to be sure, it's just not one I find very fun sometimes.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I'm building a MG Barbatos right now and it loving rules so far. I'd like to get another MG when I'm done but I don't really know how to judge if the kit would be good or not. Any suggestions or things to look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone know if those HG Sakura Wars kits are any good?