Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I cannot believe that someone who isn't very good at writing would get hired to write a book. Something that has never happened in the history of publishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kurt Vonnegut couldn't even put his stories in order and publishers gave him opportunity after opportunity.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kurt Vonnegut was a goddamn genius and hometown hero. And he said black lives matter

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

yeah I'll laugh at anyone who shits on Meltzer but I ain't got time for Vonnegut hate

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Didnt Dave write a Vince bio in the 90s or an outline but not publish it because it would kill his WWF relationship?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

dunno, but there is this from the 9/17/2018 WON:

quote:

For years, executives at Harper Collins would contact me once a year trying to convince me to do the definitive work on Vince McMahon. It took a number of years, but eventually they stopped asking.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I just got an email reminder for the Sempervive/Filthy Tom UFC post-show tonight. I cringed.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Imagine paying for a twitch sub for that content.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1269330140984512512

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Croc posted:

Imagine paying for a twitch sub for that content.

It's a free show.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you didnt get the vonnegut joke youre a fake vonnegut girl sorry

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Super No Vacancy posted:

if you didnt get the vonnegut joke youre a fake vonnegut girl sorry

so it goes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Top reply was an ALL LIVES MATTER picture and it was only because people replied to it saying they were initially fooled that made me click it and see that Twitter had cut off the bottom half explaining that only counted when Black Lives Matter. Twitter can't use loving thumbnails?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Twitter can't do anything right, really

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
It's not that Dave is a BAD writer so much as the vast, vast majority is part of a largely self-edited mess of text that he throws together in the middle of the night. When he has an editor and his stuff is well-edited, like it was at Yahoo Sports, it's still recognizably his style. And I say that as someone who constantly felt paranoid that Deadspin readers would notice the parts that were, to my eyes, obviously inserted by David Roth.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think Dave’s a good writer, but he writes a 40,000 word newsletter every week, so his main focus is normally to cram is much news in as possible. When he has the time to take his time and write, like his obituaries, he’s really good.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

His Ann Calvello obit is his best piece of writing ever IMO.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Kerry Von Erich obituary is my favorite

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Kerry is good Baba is good too

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Dave isn't writing the great american novel but he's mostly just a dude who needs an editor and well, that's how a book is made. or a movie or whatever. I forget what goofy thing it was that kicked this off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best Meltzer obits are the ones where oddly enough he knows exactly how to tell the story out of chronological order. His prose might not be the best but the way he winds through a person's story is fantastic.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Almost all of Meltzer's roller derby stuff is an amazing read and just captures that time period so well

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
it wasnt until highspots posted the dave, naylor, and hero sitdown where i found out roller derby is also fake

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

it wasnt until highspots posted the dave, naylor, and hero sitdown where i found out roller derby is also fake
old school derby was fake. the modern version isn’t and is also one of the coolest and most inclusive sports out there

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I remember watching Roller Games on ESPN Classic as a kid like 20 years ago and getting a kick out of how obviously fake it was, down to the evil authority figure 25 years before Mr. McMahon. Still pretty fun to watch, though.

And yeah the current stuff is legit and also fun to check out. Go Naptown Roller Derby~

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor Jim Valley.

WOL Producer: Alright Jim thanks, good show.
Jim Valley: Not really, that was a crappy show, you just get that sometimes :shrug:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Jerusalem posted:

Top reply was an ALL LIVES MATTER picture and it was only because people replied to it saying they were initially fooled that made me click it and see that Twitter had cut off the bottom half explaining that only counted when Black Lives Matter. Twitter can't use loving thumbnails?

:thejoke:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Poor Jim Valley.

Jim Valley: Not really, that was a crappy show, you just get that sometimes :shrug:

He's right, that does happen sometimes and its a healthy attitude not to get too hung up about it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone who put out a newsletter for work with no editor, oftentimes in 3-4 days, and only 4-6 pages, it's really embarrassing to re-read the articles, there's so many typos and grammatical mistakes. And only like 100 people read it but still there are 100 people out there who think I'm a garbage writer.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Poor Jim Valley.

They didn't edit that out?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

They didn't edit that out?

The Jim Valley shows generally include a bit more of the producer talk stuff left in, I assume Bryan either edits it out on his ones or the recording on his end already mostly does it for him, since you only rarely hear producer talk, one memorable time being the producer complaining that he couldn't stand Ryan (from Cumberland, Maryland).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

hunnert car pileup posted:

I remember watching Roller Games on ESPN Classic as a kid like 20 years ago and getting a kick out of how obviously fake it was, down to the evil authority figure 25 years before Mr. McMahon. Still pretty fun to watch, though.

And yeah the current stuff is legit and also fun to check out. Go Naptown Roller Derby~

Oh poo poo, I went to a Naptown Roller Derby match for the first time last year. It wasn't my thing, tbh, but I had fun anyway because of how much fun the crowd was having.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

jesus WEP posted:

old school derby was fake. the modern version isn’t and is also one of the coolest and most inclusive sports out there

real roller derby is genuinely one of the most boring and lovely sports I've ever seen in person. but the atmosphere seems cool

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

the secret to enjoying twitter seems to be around 1000 blocks. I added a couple on that tweet. Don't be rude to children.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"They're really into bad finishes"

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Anyone catching the new Talkin’ Shop episodes? Sounds like they’re gonna have a big tell-all podcast about their experience in WWE on July 18. This last episode already had Karl going off about it so I can’t wait to hear them let loose.

Also, Karl dealing with his kid’s “rage issues”

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Der-Wreck posted:

Anyone catching the new Talkin’ Shop episodes? Sounds like they’re gonna have a big tell-all podcast about their experience in WWE on July 18. This last episode already had Karl going off about it so I can’t wait to hear them let loose.

Also, Karl dealing with his kid’s “rage issues”

Yeah I believe it's Patreon-only. And I love Karl mentioning "HHH, who we thought was our friend at the time..."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Low Desert Punk posted:

real roller derby is genuinely one of the most boring and lovely sports I've ever seen in person. but the atmosphere seems cool

It turns out sometimes a the rules for a worked sport don't lead to fun action in a shoot sport. Much like tag-team MMA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

coconono posted:

the secret to enjoying twitter seems to be

For me the secret appears to be not having an account!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Suplex Liberace posted:

Kerry is good Baba is good too

kerry's is even better if you see the reader letters about him in the weeks after where dave goes off in replies on how in death we should remember him as kerry adkisson because being von erich is what killed him