Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well specifically the future devil guaranteed it lol but the author is making it as horrific as possible beforehand lol

God this manga is so loving good. Captain Kishibe owns. I liked the dolls assessing his devils as really weak then all being owned lol

E: Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EmmyOk posted:

I already lived in dread for Aki especially after him saving Angel. Thi is too much... pls

Him getting murked is going to break my heart.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The future devil thinks Aki's death is gonna be interesting enough that he gives him his power for essentially free, and Fujimoto is almost certainly going to deliver.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fabricated posted:

The future devil thinks Aki's death is gonna be interesting enough that he gives him his power for essentially free, and Fujimoto is almost certainly going to deliver.

Smash cut to the future devil laying on a bed kicking its legs back and forth as it watches Power & Denji getting into hijinks through Aki's eyes. "This contract delivers!"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jerkface posted:

Smash cut to the future devil laying on a bed kicking its legs back and forth as it watches Power & Denji getting into hijinks through Aki's eyes. "This contract delivers!"

drat I hadn’t even considered that!! Hell yeah.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

The future devil candid-camera'ing through Aki's eyes watching as Power strives to earn a Nobel prize through increasingly sillier means would loving rule.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Double-posting but I think my favorite chapter so far has been either the most recent one or chapter 57. The recent one because, while a relative breather compared with what's most likely coming ahead, it was just such a nice little thing on its own.

Chapter 57 because there's no way to describe the full force of the chapter without getting whiplash going from silly to downright horrifying.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's a bummer that Quanxi was killed, she had a nice team-up moment there and her abilities were rad as hell before we saw her transform, and I would have liked to see what else she could do when fully devil'd out. Here's hoping that Makima is making her own suicide squad, since wee know that beheading isn't a definite kill for a Denji or Quanxi-type devil.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wark Say posted:

Double-posting but I think my favorite chapter so far has been either the most recent one or chapter 57. The recent one because, while a relative breather compared with what's most likely coming ahead, it was just such a nice little thing on its own.

Chapter 57 because there's no way to describe the full force of the chapter without getting whiplash going from silly to downright horrifying.

Denji had never encountered a home-cooked meal before Aki due to being homeless, so him and Power trying their hardest to cook for Aki was a very nice bit of character building. For as violent and brutal as this manga is, it really does a good job being...warm? I think that’s the word I’d use for it?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

Him getting murked is going to break my heart.

Fujimoto: “Okay so this future devil says he’s gonna die horrifically, I’ve shown that sensitive truly kind people get hosed up the worst, multiple characters have had this happen or said this, everything about this guy is making it clear he’ll die and badly”

My treacherous heart: “mayhaps...aki will live happily ever after :kiddo:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aki will die but Angel will resurrect him like Pochita did for Denji.

And then later he will die again.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Unlike Denji Aki’s already an angel :angel:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Denji had never encountered a home-cooked meal before Aki due to being homeless, so him and Power trying their hardest to cook for Aki was a very nice bit of character building. For as violent and brutal as this manga is, it really does a good job being...warm? I think that’s the word I’d use for it?

"Denji's blood IS warm!" - Power, probably

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I kind of like a lot of the speed scans' translations, I've noticed. I loved Denji's "it's some vegetables and stuff I kept stir frying" line, it's subtle and funny. Dunno if it's necessarily accurate, but it seems to capture his tone quite nicely. Compared to the official's "it's that stir fry stuff" or whatever

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I kind of like a lot of the speed scans' translations, I've noticed. I loved Denji's "it's some vegetables and stuff I kept stir frying" line, it's subtle and funny. Dunno if it's necessarily accurate, but it seems to capture his tone quite nicely. Compared to the official's "it's that stir fry stuff" or whatever

There's been a few bits where fan translations have felt a little better (fan translation potty mouth fits better with Chainsaw Man than a lot of manga) but there's one bit that especially stands out to me where the official translations changed things.

In the Reze arc, there's a scene of Denji reading "Balls" and saying it's all he can read, with him later being unable to read "Big rear end". That's kind of weird with him reading the menu and flipping through comics frequently. Not impossible (the menu could have pictures) but odd.

Meanwhile, in Japanese, instead of "Balls", we get “金玉", while "Big rear end" is still in English. Instead of lacking basic day-to-day literacy, Denji just can't read kanji. It's still not good, but it means he can still function in society, with most manga (with its convenient reading guides) being perfectly manageable. The "Big rear end" bit, meanwhile, shows that Reze is multi-lingual, an early hint that there's more going on with her than the surface layer covers. (It also means Reze is going to bit less effort into being crude, just saying something in the same language she's using in general, instead of going out of her way to make it so Denji will have to ask what she's doing.)

It's tricky to bring across directly without the sort of clunkiness people only tend to accept only in fan translations, but losing those details does change Denji's characterization in the arc in a way I don't think works as well.

Official stuff is fine, and there's other bits where fan translations just make things more confusing, but I figured it was worth bringing up a bit where translation lost something that I never would have noticed if I hadn't read fan versions and the original Japanese.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
aki will die a horrific death years after the manga ends, entirely unrelated to devils.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Inflammatory posted:

aki will die a horrific death years after the manga ends, entirely unrelated to devils.
"Local Hokkaido youth dies of freak kitchen accident. Adopted son and daughter unharmed but perplexed"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that will probably be the actual sad thing about Aki's inevitable death will be that given how Fujimoto doesn't tend to go for obvious emotional beats- Denji and Power will react to it how they normally react to the deaths of their comrades: a mixture of indifference/mild annoyance.

Basically Denji and Power will likely be "Hey rear end in a top hat! I kinda liked that guy, he cooked for us!"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

They'll react that way initially but then we'll get scattered moments throughout the following chapters of them habitually turning to Aki to get something from him, or sitting waiting for food only to realize he's not cooking, etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’m almost tempted to try fire punch again but it got way too :wtc: for me way too fast.

Aki will live till 88 then fall in a giant novelty blender

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The thing that will probably be the actual sad thing about Aki's inevitable death will be that given how Fujimoto doesn't tend to go for obvious emotional beats- Denji and Power will react to it how they normally react to the deaths of their comrades: a mixture of indifference/mild annoyance.

Basically Denji and Power will likely be "Hey rear end in a top hat! I kinda liked that guy, he cooked for us!"

Power maybe.
But Denji has been reflecting on himself and his influence on the world a lot. It's even in this most recent chapter where he says "You're welcome" after a brief moment of weighing his response to what Aki said.
I think if Aki dies he's going to be confused about what he's feeling and he's going kill the killer so badly he'll still be alive.

He does have a heart you know.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I feel like Aki dying and the door opening are related. Denji will feel profound loss and go full nihilism

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I feel like Aki dying and the door opening are related. Denji will feel profound loss and go full nihilism

That's what I've been thinking as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Denji will open the door for another reason and end up being the person who kills Aki.

Future Devil said it'd be horrible and a chainsaw isn't a great way to go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I mean literally 2 chapters ago Denji was thinking about how if he actually knew the people dying around him he'd be way more messed up about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean literally 2 chapters ago Denji was thinking about how if he actually knew the people dying around him he'd be way more messed up about it.

To play devil's advocate, he also thought that he'd never get over the heartbreak from Reze leaving him about a panel before Makima mentioned the Enoshima trip.

I mean, I think he would feel pretty bad about Aki dying, but Denji's assessments of his future behavior have been wrong before.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Or Denji will open the door for another reason and end up being the person who kills Aki.

Future Devil said it'd be horrible and a chainsaw isn't a great way to go.

That would make sense as well. He opens the door and slaughters Aki....

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

Power maybe.
But Denji has been reflecting on himself and his influence on the world a lot. It's even in this most recent chapter where he says "You're welcome" after a brief moment of weighing his response to what Aki said.
I think if Aki dies he's going to be confused about what he's feeling and he's going kill the killer so badly he'll still be alive.

He does have a heart you know.

his heart is a chainsaw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought power from the gun devil might be in there. When Porchita first shows up he has bullet wounds and we know the gun devil powers people up

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
then pieces of the gun devil should be attracted to denji

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Pieces of the bomb devil certainly were!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfgames posted:

then pieces of the gun devil should be attracted to denji

It's also odd to assume that Denji's strength comes from gun devil fragments when Poochita's been shown to have been a pretty big deal in Hell without any. Denji's not anywhere near the original cap, so assuming he needs a gun devil boost to do what he's done is odd.

The attraction thing is even more of a killer for the "MAKIMA IS THE GUN DEVIL" theories, of course. She's shown picking up a cluster in the same bit we hear they attach to each other without them sticking to her fingers.

(She also wants to kill it, and from the way things went in the Katana Devil arc, the feeling's mutual. Some people just want the most predictable twist imaginable where the hero's shady boss is the big villain.)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
THE FUTURE IS WORST

Ch.73 speedscans
https://imgur.com/a/pZv4ggl

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I'm extremely anxious now!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man the Future Devil is such a dick.

Makima continues to be Makima. :allears:

I'm on the edge of my seat here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulderman posted:

I'm extremely anxious now!

I've got faith in Denji.

As ill supported as that may sometimes appear.

So, uh...

We were pretty sure Poochita threw down with Gun before joining with Denji. But now we know that he won. Holy poo poo. No wonder everyone's trying to grab Denji's heart.

This also explains why Makima's been cautious about the Gun Devil, and why everyone's been so apocalyptic in talk. Her current plan could kick off WWIII. And even Makima has reason to play that one careful.

That's some good reveals!

Edit: This also explains Reze.

I thought it was a bit odd that one of the Gun Devil's top allies was working for the Soviets as a loyal agent, but with them controlling Gun's main body, it makes sense they'd have some of its minions under control too.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 12, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Jesus Christ

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love Denji's questioning of Makima when he is told that the Gun Devil can't die.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
didn't they say chainsaw was the executioner in hell? it wouldn't surprise me if he killed gun. but i'm more curious why chainsaw is on earth, unless a primal devil got him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Wonder what Beam's last words meant before he sacrificed himself to save Denji in Hell then