Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

JEEVES420 posted:

That was me too :) so simple and cheap, such a vast improvement. Hang the key fobs from the blast gates and never forget to open/close again.

They're awesome! We use them at one of our stores for the Open sign hanging from the top of the 10 foot window. Now our employees don't need to risk life and limb climbing on lobby chairs to stretch out and flip the rocker switch on the side of the sign.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My Fluke 87v reads 2 or 3ohm when the leads are shorted (no decimals). I tried cleaning the leads but no luck. It also reads 2 or 3 ohm high when measuring resistance.
Any recommendations on where to send it for repair? I looked online and Fluke wants like just $150 to calibrate it. If I had spent $500 on it in the first place I might consider it but I got it used, so it's a $160 tool in my mind.

It's highly unusual for them to go out of cal by that amount in my experience. I've got 3x Fluke 87s: 2x 87IIIs, and 1 87V, and none of them have ever been officially calibrated, but all are accurate to <0.1 ohms.
I'd wager something has failed in the meter... is the battery fresh? Any cal lab is going to be $100 minimum, plus shipping. I'd be inclined to send it to Fluke. If the meter has failed internally, they might just replace it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I say sent it into Fluke too. The probes on my 87V test at 0.2 ohms. I suppose that you could use Relative mode in the meantime?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I have no need for these in the foreseeable future but I'm curious if anyone's tried these Bora sawhorses (video starts at right timestamp):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60lkKqCguqw&t=52s

I think that One Day I'll have a small space to do my dumb projects in, and I'm wondering whether these + a small Paulk workbench top would make for a decent, semi-collapsable work surface.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

I have no need for these in the foreseeable future but I'm curious if anyone's tried these Bora sawhorses (video starts at right timestamp):

I think that One Day I'll have a small space to do my dumb projects in, and I'm wondering whether these + a small Paulk workbench top would make for a decent, semi-collapsable work surface.

Those are cool but I think for $140 I’d rather have 7 of these indestructible little guys:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EBCO-24-in-W-x-29-in-H-Steel-Saw-Horse-1-000-lb-Capacity/3073379

I had no idea tactical woodworking vests were a thing until that video. Now I’m not sure if I need one or not?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I recently got a shop apron and I absolutely love it

Especially now that it's summertime and a shop hoodie is no longer practical

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sharkytm posted:

It's highly unusual for them to go out of cal by that amount in my experience. I've got 3x Fluke 87s: 2x 87IIIs, and 1 87V, and none of them have ever been officially calibrated, but all are accurate to <0.1 ohms.
I'd wager something has failed in the meter... is the battery fresh? Any cal lab is going to be $100 minimum, plus shipping. I'd be inclined to send it to Fluke. If the meter has failed internally, they might just replace it.
Fresh battery, yeah. :(

kid sinister posted:

I say sent it into Fluke too. The probes on my 87V test at 0.2 ohms. I suppose that you could use Relative mode in the meantime?

I've got other multimeters so it's not like I'm without options. I'm curious though if relative mode is even accurate at this point. I guess it's time to dig out a bunch of resistors and start dumping test results into a spreadsheet.

Since we're on the topic, anyone have any recommendations for a cheap precise bench top multimeter? That's what I was really after, but I just happened to stumble upon this 87v so I snagged it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Check the fuses, your meter has one for the v/ohm/f setting

also fluke has a calibration manual on their website if you wanna try diy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MRC48B posted:

Check the fuses, your meter has one for the v/ohm/f setting

Fuses were good. But I just tested them using the meter self test and got some odd results...

There are 4 pins in the connectors for each lead. When I touch either of the top two pins with my lead, I get the expected result of 1.002k ohms in the mA jack, and .8 ohm in the A jack with the lead plugged into the V/ohm jack.

Interestingly, if I do the same thing except touch the BOTTOM pins in the mA or A jack, I get a flashing "LEAD" error. But that appears to be by design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWYzAYsLGCU&t=112s

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

If it's the calibration manual I've seen it tells you how to hook it up to the calibration unit.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/8xv_____cmeng0100.pdf

Sorry, you are right, you do need a precision current or voltage source, and precision resistance to do a full calibration.

still possible, but that 150 is seeming like a better deal if that is really the issue.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sockser posted:

I recently got a shop apron and I absolutely love it

Especially now that it's summertime and a shop hoodie is no longer practical

Brand? I've been thinking about getting one. If I'm going to spend all my time in the shop reorganizing tools and never making anything, I might as well play artisan dress up.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just want to build this glorified shed without spending more on tools than materials and beer

Do not speak such heresy in the tools thread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Fresh battery, yeah. :(

I've got other multimeters so it's not like I'm without options. I'm curious though if relative mode is even accurate at this point. I guess it's time to dig out a bunch of resistors and start dumping test results into a spreadsheet.

Since we're on the topic, anyone have any recommendations for a cheap precise bench top multimeter? That's what I was really after, but I just happened to stumble upon this 87v so I snagged it.

Cheap and Precise don't exactly go hand in hand. There are plenty of old HP meters with a non-backlit LCDs or dim VFDs for $150 or less, but they'll all need calibration (unless you really luck out). Fluke made a couple of decent ones, maybe a Keithley if you can snag one on eBay.
HP 3478A (5.5 digit)
HP/Aglient 34401A or 33405A (5.5 digit)
Fluke 8800A (5.5)
Lots of more expensive options if you need 6.5 digit... or higher.

some dude on EEVBlog posted:

If I translate "quality bench meter that will last a long time" by Keysight, Fluke, Keithley...,
you have basically three options:
A) New or near new. The darlings of the forum with a nice UI are the Keysight 34461A/34465A. 6.5digit, $1000-1400. Fluke's 8846A also a strong contender. Go up in price to a 7.5 (or 8.5) digit. Some 4.5 and 5.5 digit are available from these brands but they are less common. The 6.5digit seem to be the core of the market for brand bench DMMs.
B) Slightly older technology, used. You can buy a (still produced) "industry standard" HP/Agilent/Keysight 34401A for $250-400 on EBay and get a great meter. Those are very common second-hand, so you can find really nice ones at very good prices.
C) Old technology. E.g. HP3456A $100-200 on EBay.

::edit:: Forgot to mention- Benchtop meters, especially higher-end ones, are unforgiving of mistakes and have some weird limitations. They aren't meant to be used in the field and abused. They'll be fused, but if you gently caress them up, they'll go up in smoke. Most of them also don't measure high currents, and some of them need significant warmup periods to reach their stated accuracies.

If you wanna dump your 87v, post it here, someone will probably buy it. I've already got one or I'd be interested. I actually like my 87IIIs because they default to DC current instead of AC like the 87V. I have to swap the V back to DC constantly, as I don't work on AC voltages at all. I've also got an 88, which I like a lot. 0.1% DC Voltage accuracy instead of .05%, but it's a good meter.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 9, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Erwin posted:

Brand? I've been thinking about getting one. If I'm going to spend all my time in the shop reorganizing tools and never making anything, I might as well play artisan dress up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7WDS5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got
Has a snap buckle in the back rather than needing to tie it which is quite nice, padded shoulders, two hammer loops, two hip pockets
The breast pocket is a little fucky but it works well enough for holding a pencil

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
drat the Ryobi 18v+ impact driver and the impact wrench are scary powerful the first time coming from 12v systems. Was amazing to have whizzing off the nuts when doing wheel swaps though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

Cheap and Precise don't exactly go hand in hand. There are plenty of old HP meters with a non-backlit LCDs or dim VFDs for $150 or less, but they'll all need calibration (unless you really luck out). Fluke made a couple of decent ones, maybe a Keithley if you can snag one on eBay.
HP 3478A (5.5 digit)
HP/Aglient 34401A or 33405A (5.5 digit)
Fluke 8800A (5.5)
Lots of more expensive options if you need 6.5 digit... or higher.

::edit:: Forgot to mention- Benchtop meters, especially higher-end ones, are unforgiving of mistakes and have some weird limitations. They aren't meant to be used in the field and abused. They'll be fused, but if you gently caress them up, they'll go up in smoke. Most of them also don't measure high currents, and some of them need significant warmup periods to reach their stated accuracies.

If you wanna dump your 87v, post it here, someone will probably buy it. I've already got one or I'd be interested. I actually like my 87IIIs because they default to DC current instead of AC like the 87V. I have to swap the V back to DC constantly, as I don't work on AC voltages at all. I've also got an 88, which I like a lot. 0.1% DC Voltage accuracy instead of .05%, but it's a good meter.

I should say that by precise I mean like 2 decimal places. I think I've stumbled upon the HP 3478A before.
I've watched EEV blog tear into a 3457A before I'm sure.

Thanks for the recommendation.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

MrOnBicycle posted:

drat the Ryobi 18v+ impact driver and the impact wrench are scary powerful the first time coming from 12v systems. Was amazing to have whizzing off the nuts when doing wheel swaps though.

I bought one of the older non brushless impact wrenches in about 2012/2013 and it's served its purpose countless times. Cuts down a tyre change to about 5 mins including jacking up and down.

I got one of their smaller impact drivers a couple years ago in the brushless variety and it's fantastic. Makes short work when I'm doing fastened joinery or putting together a Flatpack or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hexigrammus posted:

Do not speak such heresy in the tools thread.

Sorry that should have been in the beer thread

Speaking of Ryobi impacts I've got the 3 speed wrench and it comes with a 1/2" to hex adapter, do they really expect you to drive screws with this thing? Because I will, if that's an option.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I’ve had a HF plug in impact wrench for a couple years. I realized just how pathetic it was after I got a ridgid 1/2 cordless. Night and day. I’ll probably just donate the old one to goodwill to free up its space in the tool box.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Trabant posted:

I bought a pair of similarly designed sawhorses a couple years ago:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-42-4-in-W-x-28-8-in-H-Steel-Sawhorse-and-Jobsite-Table-1100-lb-Capacity-TB-C550/205870368

They work well, but admittedly I've only moved them around a couple times and mostly used them as table legs to rest my chopsaw on.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I bought a cheap die grinder from HF, should it leak air all the time, even if it isn't running? It does work pretty well when there is pressure but it uses a ton of air. Claims 3CFM on the box which is ridiculously optimistic or mine is using a lot more air than is normal. I was thinking about trying something else. What's a quality air tool brand that isn't super expensive? Looks like I can get IR or snapon for around $40-50 used

This is the one I got: https://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html

e: I guess it probably wasn't supposed to leak all the time because I got a slightly more expensive one and it does not.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 9, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sorry that should have been in the beer thread

Speaking of Ryobi impacts I've got the 3 speed wrench and it comes with a 1/2" to hex adapter, do they really expect you to drive screws with this thing? Because I will, if that's an option.

Sure, why not?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My M12 stuff came in today and man are they some solid built tools. Like much nicer than I expected. Can't wait to give them a test drive, time to find a project.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I am pretty sure that the M12 Fuel Impact Driver is stronger than the Ryobi 18V.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

deimos posted:

I am pretty sure that the M12 Fuel Impact Driver is stronger than the Ryobi 18V.

Ryobi 1,600 in lbs
M12 fuel 1,300 in. lbs

M18 fuel is 1,600 in lbs

Ryobi has always been pretty decent home user stuff. I'm sure there's other factors at play as well, but I'd take the Milwaukee on up time vs overheating and battery life.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Need to remember with Ryobi they usually have at least 2 or 3 different versions of every tool from garbage tier brushed motor models using tech 5 years out of date to brushless models that're equivalent to mid-range models from the "pro" manufacturers. Sometimes they even sneak through tools more powerful than the Milwaukee equivalents.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dad bought a Ryobi plug-in drill in the early 90's and it built several decks, pergolas, and hung drywall in an entire house, and several other projects as well. It's still going as far as I know.

I had the set of blue NiCd Ryobi tools. Despite the short battery life, the drill and driver and sawzall handled a number of my own projects. I even drilled out some rusted solid through many Northeast winters tie rod ends.

I've got a current model Ryobi compound miter saw. It cuts straight and feels as solid as anything. It's completely accurate in most cases, but gets a little wobbly at full extension - but if you're doing a compound miter cut 18" out, you'd probably be better off with a table saw.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

taqueso posted:

I bought a cheap die grinder from HF, should it leak air all the time, even if it isn't running? It does work pretty well when there is pressure but it uses a ton of air. Claims 3CFM on the box which is ridiculously optimistic or mine is using a lot more air than is normal. I was thinking about trying something else. What's a quality air tool brand that isn't super expensive? Looks like I can get IR or snapon for around $40-50 used

This is the one I got: https://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html

e: I guess it probably wasn't supposed to leak all the time because I got a slightly more expensive one and it does not.

No, it shouldn't, but my experience with cheap air tools is that not working at all is usually more of a concern than any leaks.

Not sure if this might be part of your air volume issue, but compressor manufacturers lie through their teeth about their compressors. This video was an aha moment for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjSm_ieRkE

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

My dad bought a Ryobi plug-in drill in the early 90's and it built several decks, pergolas, and hung drywall in an entire house, and several other projects as well. It's still going as far as I know.

I had the set of blue NiCd Ryobi tools. Despite the short battery life, the drill and driver and sawzall handled a number of my own projects. I even drilled out some rusted solid through many Northeast winters tie rod ends.

I've got a current model Ryobi compound miter saw. It cuts straight and feels as solid as anything. It's completely accurate in most cases, but gets a little wobbly at full extension - but if you're doing a compound miter cut 18" out, you'd probably be better off with a table saw.

If your Ryobi tools are the ones with the post on the battery (not the sliding batteries) they'll take the new lithium batteries and seem like brand-new tools.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm slowly working on replacing my leftover ni-cad post batteries with lithium. I needed a Recip saw so I got the recip and 2 battery kit so I can kick 2 more nicads to the curb.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

wandler20 posted:

My M12 stuff came in today and man are they some solid built tools. Like much nicer than I expected. Can't wait to give them a test drive, time to find a project.

I highly recommend the m12 jigsaw if you are in the market.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If your Ryobi tools are the ones with the post on the battery (not the sliding batteries) they'll take the new lithium batteries and seem like brand-new tools.

I ended up selling them and buying a Black and Decker set, as it was cheaper than buying new lithium batteries, and they were much lighter and smaller. Those lasted about 4 years until I burned out the Black and Decker drill while drilling 2" hole saw holes through a 2x6. Exploded on like the 3rd hole. That made me angry so I bought 18v Milwaukee Fuel drill/driver combo. I got the set on eBay for over $100 cheaper than Home Depot, but oddly was sent in a Home Depot box. Then I was putting together Ikea and realized that the 18v drill was too heavy and powerful for that poo poo even with the lowest torque setting. But I was so impressed with the build quality and feel of Milwaukee, I bought the 12v brushed Milwaukee screwdriver and 3rd party batteries. Thank you for reading my drill history.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hubis posted:

I highly recommend the m12 jigsaw if you are in the market.

It looks really nice but I have a 20v Dewalt that works great and made using a jigsaw a breeze compared to the lovely old Craftsman one I had.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Thank you for reading my drill history.

Enchanting, a cordless rollercoaster from start to finish. A+

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've been using a corded drill for years.

I justttt got my first set. Never had an impact driver, but goddamn this thing is awesome. The drill rules too.
Big thumbs up on the Makita 18v set. Came with 2 batteries too.

I built some steps, re-did some shop shelves, and set up some other random poo poo.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-xsr01pt-18v-circular-saw-kit

Pretty great deal here if you are in the Makita family. It's 4 batteries and a saw/charger for $250.

I'm so torn on whether to get this. I don't love my current circ saw, but I have no experience with the rear-handle saws and don't know if I'd like it.

socketwrencher posted:

It really depends on your needs. If you're cutting a lot of sheet goods freehand it's easier to cut straight with a rear handle saw, it's more stable. The added power with 36v helps with 3/4" plywood especially. If you bevel cut or rip 2x material with any regularity, the 7.25" blade is better than the 6.5" on the 18v.

Don't know if your current circ saw is an 18v Makita, but I love that saw due to its light weight and ease of use. I'm mostly cutting 2x4s, 2x6s and 1x trim though. For 2x12 stringers and plywood/MDF, I'm not sure the corded Skil Mag77 can be beat.

So I did end up getting this. It came the other day, had a chance to use it today. The new saw absolutely glides like butter through plywood. The difference in power is very noticeable. Also stops on a dime when you release the trigger.

It's a bit too heavy to use for crosscutting 2x4's though. It can be done, but the old (smaller) one is better at that for me. (It's also entirely possible I just need more practice, but it's hard to hold the speed square and use the big one at the same time. Probably if I was a pro I would forgo the speed square and just get better at cutting straight, then this would be better.)

Good tool to have in the arsenal, and getting 4 batteries and the dual charger... no regrets at all.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Home Depot is doing that same deal right now, I haven't had any problems with my current Ryobi saw but I really need more Makita batteries and another charger and $250 would usually just get you those batteries. Guess I'm getting another circular saw.

Anyone have experience using open-ended ratcheting wrenches? The concept sounds super useful but online reviews seem to indicate they're super weak defeating the purpose, I'm wondering if that's a universal truth or just brand dependent.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those are cool but I think for $140 I’d rather have 7 of these indestructible little guys:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EBCO-24-in-W-x-29-in-H-Steel-Saw-Horse-1-000-lb-Capacity/3073379

I had no idea tactical woodworking vests were a thing until that video. Now I’m not sure if I need one or not?

Good point, although those seem to lack the "insert 2x4 for additional stability" capability. That's kind of what I'm thinking might be the killer feature for me if I use them for a collapsible bench.

Nevets posted:

I bought a pair of similarly designed sawhorses a couple years ago:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-42-4-in-W-x-28-8-in-H-Steel-Sawhorse-and-Jobsite-Table-1100-lb-Capacity-TB-C550/205870368

They work well, but admittedly I've only moved them around a couple times and mostly used them as table legs to rest my chopsaw on.

Nice -- and so much cheaper than the Bora!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

Good point, although those seem to lack the "insert 2x4 for additional stability" capability. That's kind of what I'm thinking might be the killer feature for me if I use them for a collapsible bench.

You can still screw a 2x to the top (there are already holes drilled) and then screw another 2x into the endgrain of the 2xs you just screwed to the top and do p. much the same thing

Source: I have done this many times when I needed a temporary work surface and laying a piece of ply between 2 horses was too flimsy.