Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Sorry, but in no way would i cyberstalk the gently caress out of my neighbors to determine what profession they have, get a bunch of ammo and whatnot, before just saying "hi neighbor of two years, how are you? I'm good too. How about that 'rona! Oh, can we talk about this wall?"

Skipping a friendly "hello" and jumping right to an attorney ensures everyone will be using an attorney.

Imagine having a project you've been meaning to work on, maybe you're going to fix it up next year. In the meantime, a neighbor who moved in 2 years ago and never bothered to say hello sends a threatening legal letter thing telling you to do it. This would make me upset when I wouldn't have been over a conversation and maybe a beer.

1.) The neighbor in question is by default always using an attorney.

2.) Just because you consult an attorney about how to do this doesn't mean that they immediately fire up the nasty letter generator. You go get advice, then you approach the neighbor as you suggested. But informed, rather than blindly.

I too would like to live in a world where this kind of thing isn't necessary and prudent. But that is not where we live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I'm not going to haul off and sue him or anything.

I really just want to know if I give up my rights to have him pay to fix the wall if I do nothing for 10 years. The wall can collapse into the back of my yard for another 5 years or so before I even tackle the garage. I just want to make sure the guy who owns the wall, whose property is being held up from collapsing onto my lot, pays to fix his own poo poo eventually.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I guess my world view doesn't consist of consulting with attorneys by default for pretty much anything, housing or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've owned homes for almost 20 years and the worst I had was a neighbor who's tree fell on my fence, he said he'd fix it, didn't in a few months so I did and it cost me $50 and no stress, which was just fine with me.

sorry for derail, sally forth

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Key features: Must be able to disable all sound. Exhaust to the outside. Microwaving is also nice but not beeping is key.

Why the !?@$& does every microwave beep incessantly when it's done? gently caress you, I'm not going to forget where my food is, and I don't need a robot telling me what to do

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epitope posted:

Why the !?@$& does every microwavething beep incessantly when it's done? gently caress you, I'm not going to forget where my food is, and I don't need a robot telling me what to do

This is true of all electronic gadgets. The only devices I want beeping at me are life safety devices. iPhones are the worst at this with their inability to disable most of their beeping while maintaining a ringer on the phone. Also: Instant pots, instant pot air fryer lids, etc.

Mute should be the default, or if you need an ADA compliant method and initial setup that speaks it out with how to turn it off forever. gently caress beeping.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Dave posted:

Just refied down from a 30 year at 4.8 to a 15 year 3.1 and will ultimately save $30k. Just opened a bottle of red.

Similarly, closing Friday and going from a 4.75 30yr to a 2.875 30yr. We were only one year in on this mortgage so it doesn’t really set us back. The $250/mo lower mortgage payment we’re gonna plow right back in to principal. Between that and throwing in an extra payment every year since we run on a 4 week budget cycle, we could theoretically have this paid off in 18 years and save over $120k in interest. :hellyeah:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

devmd01 posted:

Similarly, closing Friday and going from a 4.75 30yr to a 2.875 30yr. We were only one year in on this mortgage so it doesn’t really set us back. The $250/mo lower mortgage payment we’re gonna plow right back in to principal. Between that and throwing in an extra payment every year since we run on a 4 week budget cycle, we could theoretically have this paid off in 18 years and save over $120k in interest. :hellyeah:

Where’d you get that rate and how many points, or VA?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

pmchem posted:

Where’d you get that rate and how many points, or VA?

I just got a VA purchase loan at 2.75%, interest rates have been insanely low lately.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I’d like to refi as well since I bought last year at 4.5 for a 30 year, but I don’t have that chunk of cash on hand for closing. Is it typical/possible to roll those costs into the loan?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I’d like to refi as well since I bought last year at 4.5 for a 30 year, but I don’t have that chunk of cash on hand for closing. Is it typical/possible to roll those costs into the loan?

Yeah, that's what I did. It's typically ~1% of the loan amount, not like a full down payment. The only cash we had to send was the new escrow balance (and you get your old escrow balance back within a month). We went from a 4.75% 30yr to 3.375% 25yr after 6 years on the loan. We also got out of PMI because the value has gone up, so it's a pretty sizeable savings.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Just did the same thing myself about 6-8 weeks ago. They can just roll closing costs into the loan. If the numbers make sense definitely do it!

I refinanced from %4.5 to 3.2 and will save about $50k over the cost of my loan on a 30 year mortgage. If I'd known numbers were going to drop under 3 I may have even waited a bit longer. I dont know how they possibly get any lower.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

This is true of all electronic gadgets. The only devices I want beeping at me are life safety devices. iPhones are the worst at this with their inability to disable most of their beeping while maintaining a ringer on the phone. Also: Instant pots, instant pot air fryer lids, etc.

Mute should be the default, or if you need an ADA compliant method and initial setup that speaks it out with how to turn it off forever. gently caress beeping.

Agreed. One day at my old house I went ham removing piezo buzzers from the Verizon ONT BBU, Waffle Iron, etc.
much happier after that :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

Agreed. One day at my old house I went ham removing piezo buzzers from the Verizon ONT BBU, Waffle Iron, etc.
much happier after that :)

I rewired my Verizon ONT bbu into bypass. Now it's a massive empty box as a wall wart. Gave the lead battery to autozone.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

in her opinion one homeowner cant break off a section to fix it on their lot without causing damage to the rest of the wall.

She's almost definitely right, and there are engineers that specialize specifically in retaining walls. That's gonna be one hell of a bill. Somebody back in the day must have REALLY wanted their lot just a bit more level.

Now repairing/replacing is gonna be a pain, and removing it would come with a whole new set of drainage issues.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The wall spans the entire block,

Does the neighbor in question own the entire wall, or just the section of it adjacent to your property? If the ownership of the wall is divided among several of the properties on the other side of the block, it seems like they'd all need to agree & split the cost of replacing/repairing it. That might explain how it's gotten so bad, there hasn't a point been where all the owners had both the desire and the funds to fix it at the same time.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

falz posted:

I guess my world view doesn't consist of consulting with attorneys by default for pretty much anything, housing or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've owned homes for almost 20 years and the worst I had was a neighbor who's tree fell on my fence, he said he'd fix it, didn't in a few months so I did and it cost me $50 and no stress, which was just fine with me.

sorry for derail, sally forth
Not sure how much it varies by state--but if that was a healthy tree that fell on your fence--guess what. That is your tree now! In NC, unless the neighbor has previously complained about a perilous tree, if a tree falls during a storm, it is no longer a tree and the person who's property it was on is only responsible for the portion on their yard. (Which kind of makes sense--if I head over to your yard to clean up that fallen tree and either hurt myself or cause more damage--who homeowner's insurance pays out?) It is the same law regarding branches overhanging onto your property. You are welcome to prune and pick any fruit you'd like without getting anyone's permission.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Epitope posted:

Why the !?@$& does every microwave beep incessantly when it's done? gently caress you, I'm not going to forget where my food is, and I don't need a robot telling me what to do

I've got a Toshiba (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V72BZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it has an option to mute all sounds, just hold the "8" button for like 3 seconds.

The irony? To confirm all sounds are disabled...it lets out one, very long, very loud, beep.

Of course, I only have to hear that if I, say, lose power or unplug the microwave and have to turn the sounds back off again since it will reset to the default.

But in an ideal world, I could customize all the sounds on the microwave to my exact wants:
1) Button presses silent. I can see how it's useful to the visually impaired, but I can see on the screen that I hit a button.
2) Beep when the microwave is done, but only ONE single beep, low level of loudness, and lasts for maybe two seconds.
3) However, if it's between the hours of, let's say, 11 PM to 9 AM, that beep is disabled.

I once rented a house with a built-in microwave in the wall that, no lie, had FIVE beeps when it finished, about 1 second each, with a second of silence between them, except the last beep lasted like 3 to 4 seconds.

And, on top of that, if you didn't open the door, it would do another long beep every minute until you did. No way to turn it off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I once rented a house with a built-in microwave in the wall that, no lie, had FIVE beeps when it finished, about 1 second each, with a second of silence between them, except the last beep lasted like 3 to 4 seconds.

And, on top of that, if you didn't open the door, it would do another long beep every minute until you did. No way to turn it off.

Ah so we have the same microwave.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a rental with a nicer Bosch dishwasher that was super quiet, could barely hear it when it was on. When it would finish, it would beep for several seconds, on repeat, every 15 or 30 minutes. You could hear it throughout the house. I can't even imagine how insane that would make me now that we run the drat dishwasher so much with kids.

That rental microwave sounds awful; I would fantasize about drilling and filling with expanding foam everywhere I could until I could finally give it the office space fax machine treatment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

I had a rental with a nicer Bosch dishwasher that was super quiet, could barely hear it when it was on. When it would finish, it would beep for several seconds, on repeat, every 15 or 30 minutes. You could hear it throughout the house. I can't even imagine how insane that would make me now that we run the drat dishwasher so much with kids.

I bet that is configurable to disable. Mine doesn't do that and I have it set to just turn off after 1 minute of "idle time". I'm not even clear why anyone would care for the other settings of "20 minutes" or "never." It blinks when not running, that's it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mine just quietly runs a fan and then opens the door a bit to let the moisture out.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Anyone have thoughts on a good room air purifier? Wirecutter recommends a Coway model, but there are so many out there that may or may not be good and it's hard to find actual reviews not on Amazon.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Question about cleaning the grout from my bathroom tile floor - you can see in the picture the bottom part is quite dirty, whereas the upper part is how it should look when clean (that's behind the door so I'm never stepping on it). I tried cleaning it using some online guides that mentioned vinegar and other things, along with a specific type of scrub brush, but I didn't make much progress. What recommendations do you have for products?

here's one from home depot that has pretty good reviews https://www.homedepot.com/p/TECH-128-oz-Grout-Cleaner-17001/205446894

or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Aqua-Mix-1-Qt-Heavy-Duty-Tile-and-Grout-Cleaner-010382-4/300176036

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 9, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Anyone have thoughts on a good room air purifier? Wirecutter recommends a Coway model, but there are so many out there that may or may not be good and it's hard to find actual reviews not on Amazon.

we have a couple of those Coways; i'm happy with them, though if you have it set to the automatic quality detection it'll rev up and get fairly noisy if you have one near or in your kitchen and you've just cooked something smokey and then try to watch a movie

but you can easily turn that off, and they really are effective, i'd recommend them. haven't had to swap out a charcoal odor filters yet either - they're not expensive and seem to last p well

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Question about cleaning the grout from my bathroom tile floor - you can see in the picture the bottom part is quite dirty, whereas the upper part is how it should look when clean (that's behind the door so I'm never stepping on it). I tried cleaning it using some online guides that mentioned vinegar and other things, along with a specific type of scrub brush, but I didn't make much progress. What recommendations do you have for products?

What else have you tried besides vinegar? Generally, using acids like vinegar on grout is a bad idea, because it will eventually eat it away or weaken it. The internet 'mommy bloggers' are loving stupid about vinegar, thinking it's some time of magical cleaner that doesn't contain 'harmful chemicals', where almost anything else will work far better.

Anyway, for light grout, your best bets are probably hydrogen peroxide and bleach/oxyclean. I'd start with hydrogen peroxide and move to bleach if it isn't able to get it done. The commercial products you listed are just a small amount of sodium hydroxide (lye, drain cleaner), soap and water. You could make your own version of this for pennies if you wanted to try it, but trisodium phosphate would be a safer choice with the same effect. TSP/lye would be better on dark grouts where you are worried about bleach lightening the color.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Doesn't TSP attack grout as well? I've been told it's good for cleaning up stray grout after tiling which suggests it'll eat away at the stuff in your floor if you clean with it...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Steam wand/mop?

actionjackson posted:

here's one from home depot that has pretty good reviews https://www.homedepot.com/p/TECH-128-oz-Grout-Cleaner-17001/205446894

or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Aqua-Mix-1-Qt-Heavy-Duty-Tile-and-Grout-Cleaner-010382-4/300176036

Steam wand/mop?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

What else have you tried besides vinegar? Generally, using acids like vinegar on grout is a bad idea, because it will eventually eat it away or weaken it. The internet 'mommy bloggers' are loving stupid about vinegar, thinking it's some time of magical cleaner that doesn't contain 'harmful chemicals', where almost anything else will work far better.

Anyway, for light grout, your best bets are probably hydrogen peroxide and bleach/oxyclean. I'd start with hydrogen peroxide and move to bleach if it isn't able to get it done. The commercial products you listed are just a small amount of sodium hydroxide (lye, drain cleaner), soap and water. You could make your own version of this for pennies if you wanted to try it, but trisodium phosphate would be a safer choice with the same effect. TSP/lye would be better on dark grouts where you are worried about bleach lightening the color.

Actually I think it was hydrogen peroxide, not vinegar. But even Bob Vila says use vinegar? https://www.bobvila.com/articles/cleaning-grout/

I think I will try oxiclean. thanks.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

fralbjabar posted:

Doesn't TSP attack grout as well? I've been told it's good for cleaning up stray grout after tiling which suggests it'll eat away at the stuff in your floor if you clean with it...

I've haven't heard of that, and I can't think of what the mechanism would be. I have heard of using vinegar for that, and for wiping off the grout haze if you didn't do a good job with the sponge.

I've mostly just used bleach, which works really well without tons of scrubbing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Bleach works great as a cleaner, we generally don't use it because it, well, bleaches fabrics.

I've had an issue lately where I get a chemical burny feeling in my lungs from some type of common spray toxin based cleaner. At first we thought it was just whatever Clorox we happened to buy 6 months ago, and 409 didn't do it, but whatever type of 409 we bought this time is definitely doing it. Likely back to vinegar for us, it's what we used when we had the bird. :(

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I jumped on the air purifier bandwagon after reading a bunch of articles about all of their benefits and havent look back.

We use a couple of different models in our house and have been happy with the operating costs and performance of all of them.

In our bigger rooms we use a Winix model that we got from Costco, ours is a bit older than this one, but same basic model:
https://www.costco.com/winix-c545-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wifi-with-plasmawave-technology.product.100500281.html

In our bedrooms and smaller rooms we use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WJDQMN

They are a big help in cutting down on dust. They seem to help my wife with her allergies a bit. Beyond that I cant say for certain that they are some health godsend but our air feels better. I dont know if thats all placebo effect in my mind or not.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I jumped on the air purifier bandwagon after reading a bunch of articles about all of their benefits and havent look back.

We use a couple of different models in our house and have been happy with the operating costs and performance of all of them.

In our bigger rooms we use a Winix model that we got from Costco, ours is a bit older than this one, but same basic model:
https://www.costco.com/winix-c545-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wifi-with-plasmawave-technology.product.100500281.html

In our bedrooms and smaller rooms we use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WJDQMN

They are a big help in cutting down on dust. They seem to help my wife with her allergies a bit. Beyond that I cant say for certain that they are some health godsend but our air feels better. I dont know if thats all placebo effect in my mind or not.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we have a couple of those Coways; i'm happy with them, though if you have it set to the automatic quality detection it'll rev up and get fairly noisy if you have one near or in your kitchen and you've just cooked something smokey and then try to watch a movie

but you can easily turn that off, and they really are effective, i'd recommend them. haven't had to swap out a charcoal odor filters yet either - they're not expensive and seem to last p well
Thank you both, this is very helpful. I'm mainly looking to cut down on the amount of dust, which is a lower bar to clear than dealing with allergies, but I figure I may as well go all the way if I'm going to do anything at all.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just had an electrician in to get a second quote on replacing and upgrading my service panel. Dude comes to my door with no mask on, then acts real annoyed when I ask if he has one. I just received the official quote and his email says the permit is optional. Lmao, nope nope nope

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pretty sure the permit is required

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sirotan posted:

I just had an electrician in to get a second quote on replacing and upgrading my service panel. Dude comes to my door with no mask on, then acts real annoyed when I ask if he has one. I just received the official quote and his email says the permit is optional. Lmao, nope nope nope
I mean, you can choose to do work legally or not. He's not wrong.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This guy definitely has insurance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spoke with a lawyer today about my retaining wall woes.

Basically I can ignore it for as long as I want. I dont have to take any action within a set amount of years or lose out on making my neighbor fix the wall. So when it comes time to do something about it I can go talk to him.

Onto the next thing now.

Who here has chipped up concrete sidewalks around their house and fixed the grading? I feel like I have a big project in front of me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Who here has chipped up concrete sidewalks around their house and fixed the grading? I feel like I have a big project in front of me.

Assuming you're talking about poured concrete and not pavers, I've done it in two ways.

1. With a chisel attachment for an SDS drill
2. With a pneumatic needle on an excavator

I would not recommend option 1 for anything but the smallest jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Spoke with a lawyer today about my retaining wall woes.

Basically I can ignore it for as long as I want. I dont have to take any action within a set amount of years or lose out on making my neighbor fix the wall. So when it comes time to do something about it I can go talk to him.

Onto the next thing now.

If you get a chance to bring it up before it's officially "a thing" he might be proactive about it anyway.