Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Looking at that cover and all I can see is Magnus sporting a fabulous man purse about to sprinkle some glitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

a lovely king posted:

Personally I never enjoyed McNeill's Original Characters from the Heresy. The stealithiest Raven Guard. The kindest Salamander. The grimmest and harshest Iron Hands. The only one I liked and actually remembered when their next book rolled around every few years was the deaf Morlock constantly shouting WHAT at everyone.

He does acknowledge in the postscript to Sons of the Selenar that it would be tempting to have a happily ever after for his characters but it doesn't fit with what needs to happen.

D-Pad posted:

Read Rites of Passage next! So good.

Already read it and it was part of why I picked up Road to Redemption. I liked how Mike continues to show representation with a non-hetero protagonist and nonbinary supporting character in RtR.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
After seeing recommendations I decided to read Fire Caste, my first Fehervari novel, and it’s possibly my favorite of the dozens of 40k books I’ve read. Definitely an Imperial Guard-focused book. It was maybe a little self-indulgent when one of the characters actually utters the words “heart of darkness” but hell, the author earned it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I cannot get over how good the Siege Of Terra maps/illustrations are.

I'm sure none of these are new to the people ITT but these are the highest-res versions I've found.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 10, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I always wondered why the traitors had to take the space port instead of landing wherever they wanted, but I guess the palace is so built up that there's nowhere else to land.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I always wondered why the traitors had to take the space port instead of landing wherever they wanted, but I guess the palace is so built up that there's nowhere else to land.

The drawings don’t really do justice to the scale. It’s supposed to be continent spanning.

Meaning even if the traitors landed in the palace they may still be 500km away from where they want to be.

The spaceport is relatively at the front door so to speak

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Noblesse Obliged posted:

The drawings don’t really do justice to the scale. It’s supposed to be continent spanning.

Meaning even if the traitors landed in the palace they may still be 500km away from where they want to be.

The spaceport is relatively at the front door so to speak

Subcontinent. India is the suburbs. The Himalayas are the palace.
Yes, all of them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And you can't land your largest ships on the world itself, their born in the void and will die in the void.

So with your larger ships stuck in space you end up having to send down smaller ships to make planetfall. But with the Lionsgate, again the scale is not done any justice, even the Vengeful spirit can dock and pump out traitors like a funnel right to the front door.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VanSandman posted:

Yes, all of them.
It used to be that the palace was Great Britain, now a huge mountain after the seas boiled away. Oh well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

It used to be that the palace was Great Britain, now a huge mountain after the seas boiled away. Oh well.

That's infinitely lamer than the Himalayas.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

The enemy shall break themselves upon the eternal walls of....chalk?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Now the area that would be the UK is just a giant prison

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not all changes are bad.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Yes, all of them.

It's mentioned many different times throughout the lore it is continent size. It's never been described in the best detail, but the best, most recent we have is from the Custodes codex:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/c1zzxs/the_xinjiang_province_future_home_to_the_emperor

That does move things around a bit from what some lore has said, but overall the size matches what the lore has described for a while now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

D-Pad posted:

It's mentioned many different times throughout the lore it is continent size. It's never been described in the best detail, but the best, most recent we have is from the Custodes codex:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/c1zzxs/the_xinjiang_province_future_home_to_the_emperor

That does move things around a bit from what some lore has said, but overall the size matches what the lore has described for a while now.

thats not as big as i assumed it would be. i always assumed the whole palace complex was like most of mainland asia.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Biplane posted:

That's infinitely lamer than the Himalayas.

At least we brits still have ork-speak, right? Right?

ROIGHT?!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats not as big as i assumed it would be. i always assumed the whole palace complex was like most of mainland asia.

That'd be ridiculous.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

That'd be ridiculous.

It's 40k. Everything is ridiculous.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The scale and logistics in 40k have always been poo poo.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Regiments of 2000 guys totally makes sense in a planetary invasion context, don't worry about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Angry Lobster posted:

The scale and logistics in 40k have always been poo poo.

It's heroic scale logistics

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The answer to "how does this work" in 40K is "in the most over the top, wasteful and horrible way possible", anything more and you're talking about midichlorians

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's heroic scale logistics

lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Biplane posted:

Regiments of 2000 guys totally makes sense in a planetary invasion context, don't worry about it.

40k planets are also subject to a level of political centralization completely incomprehensible to the lived experience of the modern world.

If the world is literally a single factory with a single control point then, yeah: landing a couple thousand guys (or a couple dozen Spess Mehreens) right there might do it.

Of course, it's left as an exercise for the reader to figure out why such a form of industrial organization would be undertaken, or why such a control point wouldn't be, like, underground and impossible to reach.

E: Although, having tried more than once to read "hard sf" interpretations of futuretech military action I'll take Trafalgar-IIINNNN-SPPPAAACCEE/Sharpe's Las-Rifles 100% of the time.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 11, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Schadenboner posted:

Of course, it's left as an exercise for the reader to figure out why such a form of industrial organization would be undertaken, or why such a control point wouldn't be, like, underground and impossible to reach.

The Mechanicus got hold of some archaeotek action movies around m.27 and mistook them for documentaries.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Yeah I always think of this quote:

"I have at my command an entire battle group of the Imperial Guard. Fifty regiments, including specialized drop troops, stealthers, mechanized formations, armored companies, combat engineers and mobile artillery. Over half a million fighting men and thirty thousand tanks and artillery pieces are mine to command. Emperor show mercy to the fool that stands against me, for I shall not."

As if that's supposed to be impressive when wars here in our history will routinely have 1 million or more soldiers deployed to a single operation in a single front.

Lot's of Sci-fi settings do that though, Battletech often has 12 mechs fighting over the fate of an entire world.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There was like three million men fighting the battle of stalingrad, just that one city.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I figure they're using something like how when Europeans say "Million" they actually mean "French Million" which is like three or four dozen?

:shrug:

E: It actually reminds me of Barbara Tuchman's comment that medieval numbers are used to convey a rhetorical not a mathematical meaning (when it comes to contemporary news reports, not like what Hey Guns does with pay records)?

E2: Or Douglas Adam's "Space Is Big. Really, Really Big" thing?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 11, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SerCypher posted:

Lot's of Sci-fi settings do that though, Battletech often has 12 mechs fighting over the fate of an entire world.
Battletech is different because they meticulously work out exactly what mechs were involved in a fight and who was piloting them, and then what exactly the relevant infrastructure is that you need to hold or the world becomes unsurvivable or whatever. It's also way less advanced technologically than 40k, so while 12 mechs is a significant threat to Planet Rando that's because Rando has no atmosphere and a population of 20k living in domed cities with only one power generator to keep the air scrubbers running because it's a shoestring budget mining town kind of planet.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, Battletech had a "We don't exactly say it but if you read certain things and put them together a large chunk of the total human race died after the fall of the Star League"

Most planets were barely habitable without League tech and the Ryan Ice Cartel flying ice asteroids about.

The scale is just so much smaller than 40K.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In the last couple of years they have flat out said it. Looking at the Amaris Coup era sourcebooks the sheer scale of units involved is mind blowing compared to "modern" ones.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Khizan posted:

It's 40k. Everything is ridiculous.

40k universe makes more sense and is more humane than current western capitalist hell states

It’s amazing. 40k is not nearly as nihilist as say Donald trump

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

euphronius posted:

40k universe makes more sense and is more humane than current western capitalist hell states

I dunno, they certainly both agree on the gold aesthetic.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Certainly 40k Earth is more egalitarian on racial issues.

Neither white, nor black; but sickly, splotchy grey where everyone is equally wretched.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 12, 2020

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

euphronius posted:

goons.txt

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Biplane posted:

Even the better writers do this, I was rereading a Ravenor book the other day and I got to a point where something very bad happens to a whole hive city, the next line is "Thousands died."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The earlier Ghost books are pretty bad with it, like I mentally edit in a few zeroes at the end of nearly every number on rereads.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Even the better writers do this, I was rereading a Ravenor book the other day and I got to a point where something very bad happens to a whole hive city, the next line is "Thousands died."

Hundreds of thousands is still thousands.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This scene should be more like Billions. I mean he could have said "Dozens died", and that would be technically correct too, but still jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Multiple deaths occurred - the technically correct description.