Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

C. Your inability to conceive of text as anything other than product and your certainty that I must be suggesting other methods of conceptualizing information in order to "steal from authors" is indicative of my point

You keep saying this. You do grasp that to authors, their work is a product, right? Harping on this point just makes it look like you're trying to use the sanctity of art as a smokescreen to get free books.

I understand that may not be your intention, but I can also understand why some are accusing you of prioritizing access to text over the authors' ability to earn a living via their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

ulvir posted:

I guess next step is to claim that second hand stores and flea markets are theft too

All this slippery slope stuff is pathetic. If you want to defend the Internet Archive at least have the courage to defend what they're actually doing and what these writers are upset about. They decided to turn their purported library into book Napster, where if someone ever purchased a secondhand book, the .epub was available for all without restrictions. Its functionally equivalent to Pirate Bay with the slightest gloss of 'someone once bought the book'.

Actual libraries buy licenses with various DRM restrictions that attempt to replicate the usual library experience [14 days per copy, limited number of copies, etc.]. Publishers did not sue libraries because this is not theft, it is in fact the opposite of theft, which is a consensual exchange that publishers agreed to. In fact the IA also operated this way without any complaint until they decided to open their "Emergency Library" without lending restrictions. Similarly, no one will sue a secondhand store because those sales are legal and there is no legal basis to sue.

No one likes DRM kludges because they are wholly artificial and appear heavy-handed. And yet they are how writers ultimately get paid. I am not sure what alternative is being proposed except the vague sense that there are enough non-thieves to make writing overall still financially possible, like with artists and Napster. Maybe! But pretending this is a moral basis for stealing is laughable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ornamented Death posted:

You keep saying this. You do grasp that to authors, their work is a product, right?

VVVVVV

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the problem is that the IA is an invaluable tool for researchers and anyone interested in learning about more or less anything which is being destroyed by hack writers who produce nothing of value and whose works are not even read in significant numbers by the users of the IA. so now you cant read the pdf of the zombie star wars novel, yes, but also of print and rare books become completely inaccessible

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the "but libraries pay for it" argument is also nonsensical at any kind of scale. if a library buys an n.k. jemison book for $18, of which she receives about 1.80, and 200 people read it, her profit per read amortizes to effectively zero anyway. its a completely hollow moral argument

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Copernic posted:

Actual libraries buy licenses with various DRM restrictions that attempt to replicate the usual library experience [14 days per copy, limited number of copies, etc.]. Publishers did not sue libraries because this is not theft, it is in fact the opposite of theft, which is a consensual exchange that publishers agreed to. In fact the IA also operated this way without any complaint until they decided to open their "Emergency Library" without lending restrictions. Similarly, no one will sue a secondhand store because those sales are legal and there is no legal basis to sue.

If publishers didn't sue libraries because its all perfectly legal why did Movie companies sue video rental stores for doing the same thing in the 80s and game companies sue game rental stores in the 90s for doing the same thing?

The fact you think libraries are protected because they do it "right" is naive. The only reason they exist is because they were a foundation of western culture before capitalism was.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Copernic posted:

All this slippery slope stuff is pathetic. If you want to defend the Internet Archive at least have the courage to defend what they're actually doing and what these writers are upset about. They decided to turn their purported library into book Napster, where if someone ever purchased a secondhand book, the .epub was available for all without restrictions. Its functionally equivalent to Pirate Bay with the slightest gloss of 'someone once bought the book'.

No one likes DRM kludges because they are wholly artificial and appear heavy-handed. And yet they are how writers ultimately get paid. I am not sure what alternative is being proposed except the vague sense that there are enough non-thieves to make writing overall still financially possible, like with artists and Napster. Maybe! But pretending this is a moral basis for stealing is laughable.

show me on this doll where IA hurt the poor self-published hacks

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
P1.) Art has a meaning to all of society and responsibilities beyond those of a "mere" consumer product.
P2.) Artists have a right to make a living!
P3.) How about we combine those two things?
P1. P2.) Wow, calm down!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mrenda posted:

P1.) Art has a meaning to all of society and responsibilities beyond those of a "mere" consumer product.
P1. P2.) Wow, calm down!

WHO ARE YOU ARGUING WITH

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Copernic posted:

Similarly, no one will sue a secondhand store because those sales are legal and there is no legal basis to sue.

they could if they would. publishers loving hate libraries and second-hand bookstores. the academic publishing industry is the greatest example of this. there's a reason that every single textbook now comes with a one-time use code for online access and why new editions are released every single year that do nothing but change the page numbers and homework questions to make them incompatible with next year's classes

publishers dont go after these businesses *in court* because they have no *legal* grounds to do so, but they are and have been doing absolutely everything they can to shut them down anyway.

Mrenda posted:

agreed, which is why we should abolish copyright and return to the patronage system

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

WHO ARE YOU ARGUING WITH

And with one sentence your entire existence on this sacred forums is summed up. Everything's a loving argument to you and if you can't find a way to attack you're lost.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mrenda posted:

And with one sentence your entire existence on this sacred forums is summed up. Everything's a loving argument to you and if you can't find a way to attack you're lost.

calm down bud

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
With all due respect, Mrenda, please shut up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

agreed, which is why we should abolish copyright and return to the patronage system

There has probably legitimately been no greater boon to the arts than patreon's modernization of the patronage system, dead serious

There are so many things that were not commercially viable under the publisher/advertising system of revenue including

Watch this

You are gonna love this

BOOM

https://www.patreon.com/nkjemisin

BOOM

https://digital.hbs.edu/platform-rctom/submission/the-death-of-the-starving-artist-patronage-via-patreon/

NK Jemisin literally makes more from patrons than she does from her publisher

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 12, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There has probably legitimately been no greater boon to the arts than patreon's modernization of the patronage system, dead serious

Agreed.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
there's a good paper to be written about how the modern nerd's idea of "canon" is completely inseparable from and dependent upon international copyright law, which in turn is extensively shaped by the lobbying and litigious activities of Disney

Mel Mudkiper posted:

agreed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

there's a good paper to be written about how the modern nerd's idea of "canon" is completely inseparable from and dependent upon international copyright law, which in turn is extensively shaped by the lobbying and litigious activities of Disney

I was actually thinking about this the other day when people are like "The new movies ruined Luke" or "the old movies ruined Vader" when talking about Star Wars as if they are not obligated to consider the prequels and sequels when enjoying the original films.

Like they don't seem to understand they can just, like, ignore that the stuff they don't like even exists.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

also since people might have skipped over it because it was an edit but NK Jemisin literally has a patreon because her publishing contract wasnt enough for her to live off of and this was years before IA started doing its book thing and to this day she makes more from patreon than from her publisher

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like they don't seem to understand they can just, like, ignore that the stuff they don't like even exists.

ah, now we have discovered headcanon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ah, now we have discovered headcanon

I was reflecting the other day about how the most complete edition of the Tain Bo Cualinge was written by various monks over a period of decades and how straight up a character dies and then is alive again two chapters later because they dude writing that part forgot what the other monk wrote and was using a different oral version of the story for his part

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I do wish that IA had done the radical step of directly financially linking the authors labor to the authors pocketbook because I crave publisher death, but that feels like I am quibbling about an overall good thing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
medieval lit in general is a good example of a completely alternative way of conceiving of fiction. like in arthurian stuff there's a broad consensus about certain things that happen (he gets a sword, mordred turns bad, arthur dies) but how and when those things happen are in total flux and no author gives a poo poo about agreeing with any other. even central "plot points" like the lancelot adultery are progressive developments rather than "original" canon

its a much healthier and more artstically productive way of large-scale storytelling rather than the modern idea of everything having to agree (else we have "plot holes") which leads to horrific nightmares like whatever DC just did to un-reboot the new 52 and reconcile every single plot point, no matter how niche or obscure

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I do wish that IA had done the radical step of directly financially linking the authors labor to the authors pocketbook because I crave publisher death, but that feels like I am quibbling about an overall good thing.

I mean, I think the big thing is that IA was explicitly free and non-profit. They weren't acting as a new form of commercial distribution, they were acting as an archive, which is the role of a library.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

its a much healthier and more artstically productive way of large-scale storytelling rather than the modern idea of everything having to agree (else we have "plot holes") which leads to horrific nightmares like whatever DC just did to un-reboot the new 52 and reconcile every single plot point, no matter how niche or obscure

100% agree and its one of the reasons why the stranglehold of copyright on characters that are, for all intents and purposes, in the public domain has created this weird bastard culture.

Batman, Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, etc. are all explicitly in the realm of the public domain as it was intended to be used and the fact its still held under publisher/studio control is toxic to our civilization

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I think the big thing is that IA was explicitly free and non-profit. They weren't acting as a new form of commercial distribution, they were acting as an archive, which is the role of a library.

for sure. I just wouldn't mind a quick donate here patron button linked to the entries.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Batman, Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, etc. are all explicitly in the realm of the public domain as it was intended to be used and the fact its still held under publisher/studio control is toxic to our civilization
It's hilarious to go back and read the absolutely psychotic arguments around this in '98 warning that "Rhapsody in Blue" was about to be buried in the mouldering crypt of the public domain with loving Beethoven's 9th.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

for sure. I just wouldn't mind a quick donate here patron button linked to the entries.

I get it, but I think the concern was that by making it a financial transaction in any way it was undermining their claim to act as a repository not as a distributor

nut
Jul 30, 2019

It’s a real tough one because the guy behind IA looks like a big epic fail and the lawyers of publishers are probably cool and wear cool suits and I think we’d be friends and talk about the other guys lame tweets also tell ur friends to spend money on things they enjoy if they can and that it is cool if people who can’t afford it get to have the experience too imo

nut
Jul 30, 2019

What kind of loser doesn’t wanna buy more things to stack up literally every day they are fiscally capable

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought all the books in the internet archive library were DRM copies if they were still under copyright anyway - the only thing the national emergency library did was remove waitlists - they were still protected files that would expire in two weeks and not trivially copyable

anyway the internet archive is right and capitalism kills art

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

In an ideal world, good writers would be provided a lifetime monthly salary by the state, with their works available to anyone as a physical copy bought for the cost of printing+shipping or available at libraries. Digital copies would, of course, be completely free. Bad writers would get sent somewhere they would be of more use to society, e.g. the rice paddies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

In an ideal world, good writers would be provided a lifetime monthly salary by the state

Then we'd have this sub-forum full of "oh you read salaried writers? Well I read books that are fun!" smugberting.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Then we'd have this sub-forum full of "oh you read salaried writers? Well I read books that are fun!" smugberting.

no we wouldn't because writers like brandon sanderson would be in the rice paddies

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

no we wouldn't because writers like brandon sanderson would be in the rice paddies

I have no idea who that is.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

also since people might have skipped over it because it was an edit but NK Jemisin literally has a patreon because her publishing contract wasnt enough for her to live off of and this was years before IA started doing its book thing and to this day she makes more from patreon than from her publisher

If you scroll down to the next paragraph though

Disrupting how creators make money comes with challenges, however. Patreon claims it provides creators with stability – an effective replacement for salary. However, a 2018 Graphtreon study shows that only 1,393 of creators on the platform (<2%) actually earn the 2017 minimum wage of $1,160 a month. The Patreon model works best for those who already have an established fanbase [4, 5]. Patreon’s discovery tools are not robust, so there is currently no meaningful way to build a following on the platform. This has led to some content creators arguing the Patreon isn’t actually an ideal solution to helping creators stabilize income–it’s simply a fancy payment processing platform that supports already-successful artists. [6]

I would 100% love to live in a world where art was not a commercial product but I would 110% love to live in a world where artists are able to eat, and if those two ideals fall into conflict then I know what I'm backing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

wizzardstaff posted:

I would 100% love to live in a world where art was not a commercial product but I would 110% love to live in a world where artists are able to eat, and if those two ideals fall into conflict then I know what I'm backing.

the whole point of mel's post is that they are already in conflict because publishers pay their writers a pittance

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

wizzardstaff posted:

If you scroll down to the next paragraph though

Disrupting how creators make money comes with challenges, however. Patreon claims it provides creators with stability – an effective replacement for salary. However, a 2018 Graphtreon study shows that only 1,393 of creators on the platform (<2%) actually earn the 2017 minimum wage of $1,160 a month. The Patreon model works best for those who already have an established fanbase [4, 5]. Patreon’s discovery tools are not robust, so there is currently no meaningful way to build a following on the platform. This has led to some content creators arguing the Patreon isn’t actually an ideal solution to helping creators stabilize income–it’s simply a fancy payment processing platform that supports already-successful artists. [6]

That article's stupid because nobody makes a living on art without Patreon either; there's not enough money in it, period. If someone actually expects the best-case scenario that Patreon's marketing capitalizes on (being famous and popular enough to quit the day job), that's their own problem.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 12, 2020

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tinaun posted:

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought all the books in the internet archive library were DRM copies if they were still under copyright anyway - the only thing the national emergency library did was remove waitlists - they were still protected files that would expire in two weeks and not trivially copyable

anyway the internet archive is right and capitalism kills art

Yeah I am pretty sure that you are correct.

Additionally if someone wanted to strip out that DRM then they could do that. But hell, it's extremely simple to strip out DRM from purchased ebooks in general so it wouldn't be the internet archive's fault.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

the "but libraries pay for it" argument is also nonsensical at any kind of scale. if a library buys an n.k. jemison book for $18, of which she receives about 1.80, and 200 people read it, her profit per read amortizes to effectively zero anyway. its a completely hollow moral argument

I'm not sure how it works with books but with journal subscriptions institutions like libraries tended to pay a lot more than individual subscribers, especially for society-based publications, as a way to account for this. With the 3 or 4 big corporate publishers vacuuming up most small journals in recent years the pricing has gotten even more predatory of course.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was actually thinking about this the other day when people are like "The new movies ruined Luke" or "the old movies ruined Vader" when talking about Star Wars as if they are not obligated to consider the prequels and sequels when enjoying the original films.

I don't understand why people don't realize that Disney throwing out the Star Wars EU because they can means that people consuming the media can do the same with "canon" works. Read and consume what you like; no one is under no obligation to give a poo poo about things that anger them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Samadhi posted:

I don't understand why people don't realize that Disney throwing out the Star Wars EU because they can means that people consuming the media can do the same with "canon" works. Read and consume what you like; no one is under no obligation to give a poo poo about things that anger them.

Bingo