Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That's ol' Petey for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ok some characters do poo poo on him for this stuff not that long after, so I guess it’s not thaaat far gone but still ...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they like dragons with lots of power, use people like pawns, and have a ton of influence, maybe some Shadowrun novels?
I'll throw in The Dragon Griaule again, if only because I've never seen it (or Lucius Shepard in general) discussed here and I think it's a shame.

e: Oh, wait, that's still the same request, isn't it? Sorry.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 12, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tildes posted:

Has anyone read the Great North Road by Peter Hamilton? I am like 2/3 of the way through and the creepy male writer fantasy sex stuff seems to have really ramped up.

Like, I actually like the book on a high level, this stuff very very much excepted. But wtf?

Forget it, Jake, it's Hamiltown.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

tildes posted:

Has anyone read the Great North Road by Peter Hamilton? I am like 2/3 of the way through and the creepy male writer fantasy sex stuff seems to have really ramped up.

Like, I actually like the book on a high level, this stuff very very much excepted. But wtf?

Every Peter F Hamilton book is like this, some more than others. The SF world is amazing, the ideas are incredible, the adventure/mystery is exciting, there's average middle aged men having sex with hot young women, and the ending is Deus ex machina.

I used to love them and reread them once every few years, but I recently got rid of my collection because I was tired of the creepy sex and terrible endings. Great North Road is probably the only one I still have because it's on Kindle instead of paper.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hamilton’s been garbage for a long while - Mindstar Rising is so pro-Thatcher I threw the book across the room several times. Kept reading to see if it was a setup or just one characters opinion, but nope. Throw him in the same pit as her.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
^^ also this- it’s so hard to tell what is just supposed to be a character’s opinion which we the reader are supposed to reject, and what he just legitimately believes.

Urcher posted:

The SF world is amazing, the ideas are incredible, the adventure/mystery is exciting, there's average middle aged men having sex with hot young women, and the ending is Deus ex machina.

OK, having now finished Great North Road, this is an incredibly accurate summary. I really wish he would cut the creepy sex stuff, and that the ending lived up to the promise of the first part of the book.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Similarly, I gave up on the Reality Dysfunction half way through, after posting about the sex stuff ITT. The Commonwealth series wasn't quite as bad IIRC.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
If he has a book with minimal creepy sex stuff I think I’d probably be interested in that?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funny to have Peter F. Hamilton come up in the thread again, I'm still trudging through A Naked God which is the third book of the night's dawn trilogy.

I'm upset I'm still reading it instead of better books (still haven't cracked open the new murderbot), I'm just forcing myself to finish it out of spite. I don't think I read books out of spite that often. All the creepy white guy sex stuff is true.

The book bores me to sleep, often.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

tildes posted:

If he has a book with minimal creepy sex stuff I think I’d probably be interested in that?

Broken dragon.
Which is really good space marine action and insurgent thriller.
It is just the ending which is kinda ehhh.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's taken me a long time to be willing to give up on a book, but like you said, it stops you from reading the poo poo you actually will enjoy. I'm much happier for it, even if I do occasionally see the half-read book and feel a twinge of unfinished business.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

The mail came today! :toot:

Put this under books I never expected to exist they seem so surreal, and translated by Le Guin to boot!

I really enjoyed Kalpa Imperial, it's a great collection. Also at one point during the final story it made me laugh so hard I started crying, which was not something I had expected going in.

edit: I'm going to reread it now, I need that kind of joy in my life again.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Cardiac posted:

Broken dragon.

Fallen Dragon. And uh, do you remember how it ends? That book is Hamilton’s creepiest from the standpoint of sex stuff. Spoilers, obviously, but the main character is a chubby virgin teenager at the start, falls in love with a ringer his dad hires to shape him up, breaks up with her when he finds out and joins the private space marines. Decades of real time later he figures out how to travel back in time, and does so to pretend to still be 17 and apologize and win back the girl he fell in love with because he slept with her a few times as a kid.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

I'll throw in The Dragon Griaule again, if only because I've never seen it (or Lucius Shepard in general) discussed here and I think it's a shame.

e: Oh, wait, that's still the same request, isn't it? Sorry.

I don't know if I ever responded to this rec so I'll assure you: I own the Dragon Griaule and I need to read it. I don't think it's the kind of thing my brother would want but hell, I'll mention it to him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hamilton should be restricted to writing the fluff for RPGs, under strong editorial control. The Night's Dawn stuff is okay pulpy space adventure, but bolt a good RPG system onto it and you've got a great game setting.

Come to think of it, I should pitch a space wargame proposal to my publisher later this year. Combat wasps may be the coolest part of the setting.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Octavia Butler is going to be published in the Library of America: https://www.loa.org/news-and-views/1678-forthcoming-spring-2021

The article implies it won't be the only one, too.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Velius posted:

Fallen Dragon. And uh, do you remember how it ends? That book is Hamilton’s creepiest from the standpoint of sex stuff. Spoilers, obviously, but the main character is a chubby virgin teenager at the start, falls in love with a ringer his dad hires to shape him up, breaks up with her when he finds out and joins the private space marines. Decades of real time later he figures out how to travel back in time, and does so to pretend to still be 17 and apologize and win back the girl he fell in love with because he slept with her a few times as a kid.

Which is pretty much why I said the ending is kinda ehhh.
Also says a lot about Hamilton’s work when this is one of his less bad in this regard.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’m blocked for being a Bernie Bro and a Russian Bot, so why is everyone talking about Chonk Wendigo?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nobody is? The past couple pages have been about Peter Hamilton.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I suspect navyjack meant on Twitter.

Wander over to the general discussion thread to find out.

Or don't, its kind of a shitshow.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

navyjack posted:

I’m blocked for being a Bernie Bro and a Russian Bot, so why is everyone talking about Chonk Wendigo?

Wendig attracted an army of right-wing haters because he's an SJW who RUINED STAR WARS FOREVER; he also pissed off a lot of Bernie bros who hated his shilling (and cringy mommy fixation) for Warren. A lot of people hate him regardless of politics because he's cringy in general. Then he openly criticized the Internet Archive's unlimited lending program, which has now been shut down. He had nothing to do with the lawsuit and no power to affect it in any way, but he's responsible for it and must die.

Long story short: imagine an army of anime avatars who believe they have a god-given right to never pay for books, already hate Wendig, and are immune to the most basic forms of logic. They want a pound of flesh for IA shutting down and it's going to be his because they say so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Care to explain? I'm avoiding twitter for now due to it giving me too much stress.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

StonecutterJoe posted:

Wendig attracted an army of right-wing haters because he's an SJW who RUINED STAR WARS FOREVER; he also pissed off a lot of Bernie bros who hated his shilling (and cringy mommy fixation) for Warren. A lot of people hate him regardless of politics because he's cringy in general. Then he openly criticized the Internet Archive's unlimited lending program, which has now been shut down. He had nothing to do with the lawsuit and no power to affect it in any way, but he's responsible for it and must die.

Long story short: imagine an army of anime avatars who believe they have a god-given right to never pay for books, already hate Wendig, and are immune to the most basic forms of logic. They want a pound of flesh for IA shutting down and it's going to be his because they say so.

Oh. It’s about the IA thing, that makes sense. Thanks for the rundown.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dhalgren by Samuel R Delany - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE2JK7G/

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UM5BUU/
Same world as Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6HYNGE/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mewse posted:

Funny to have Peter F. Hamilton come up in the thread again, I'm still trudging through A Naked God which is the third book of the night's dawn trilogy.

I'm upset I'm still reading it instead of better books (still haven't cracked open the new murderbot), I'm just forcing myself to finish it out of spite. I don't think I read books out of spite that often. All the creepy white guy sex stuff is true.

The book bores me to sleep, often.

let us know what you think of the ending. :roflolmao:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a Dune question. I'm about 1/3 into the first book.

So the plot as I understand it, Leto was in charge of his home planet and fiefdom, and the emperor commanded him to go take over Arrakis and its vital and lucrative spice. The Harkonnens were in charge for a long time and were pissed about being pushed out and falling out of favor, so they schemed a coup/assassination. OK, yes. But apparently the emperor himself is in on the plot because of ... reasons? He could have left the Harkonnens in place the whole time but wanted this rigmarole for some reason.

So what I'm asking is: do I pretty much have it right up to this point, and I should keep going? Or have I misunderstood something about the politics up to this point that I should have straightened out before I continue?

Thanks!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Huxley posted:

So the plot as I understand it, Leto was in charge of his home planet and fiefdom, and the emperor commanded him to go take over Arrakis and its vital and lucrative spice. The Harkonnens were in charge for a long time and were pissed about being pushed out and falling out of favor, so they schemed a coup/assassination. OK, yes. But apparently the emperor himself is in on the plot because of ... reasons? He could have left the Harkonnens in place the whole time but wanted this rigmarole for some reason.

So what I'm asking is: do I pretty much have it right up to this point, and I should keep going? Or have I misunderstood something about the politics up to this point that I should have straightened out before I continue?

Thanks!

Pretty much. Shaddam IV fears Duke Leto's popularity in the Landsraad and is helping the Harkonnens so he can eliminate a potential rival. The Harkonnens and Atreides have had a blood feud going back for generations, so any chance the Harkonnens have to take out the Atreides they're going to go for. The Atreides aren't completely unaware of the dangers involved, but control of Arakkis is so valuable that they're willing to take the gamble regardless.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the emperor is wary of Leto because he's a popular leader, beloved by the Landsraad, who could in time conceivably put together a coalition of Houses strong enough to pose a threat to his rule. so Leto has to be bumped off before it comes to that. also, House Atreides troops are nearly on the level of the Sardaukar.

"The Padishah Emperor turned against House Atreides because the Duke's Warmasters Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho had trained a fighting force -- a small fighting force -- to within a hair as good as the Sardaukar. Some of them were even better. And the Duke was in a position to enlarge his force, to make it every bit as strong as the Emperor's."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks. I'm really enjoying it so far, but felt like something was going over my head.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Broken dragon.

The ending is that the main character, a middle aged man, goes back in time to assume the body and life of his teenage self and gets together with his teenage girlfriend without telling her that he is now a middle aged man in a young body. The creepy sex isn't detailed, but the conclusion encourages the reader to consider the creepy sex that is likely to be happening in the immediate aftermath.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

Pretty much. Shaddam IV fears Duke Leto's popularity in the Landsraad and is helping the Harkonnens so he can eliminate a potential rival. The Harkonnens and Atreides have had a blood feud going back for generations, so any chance the Harkonnens have to take out the Atreides they're going to go for. The Atreides aren't completely unaware of the dangers involved, but control of Arakkis is so valuable that they're willing to take the gamble regardless.

On top of which, Leto aspires to the Imperial throne himself, which is why he never married Jessica - he was hoping to take advantage of an advantageous marriage. But Shaddam can't act directly against him, because Leto wasn't doing anything strictly treasonous.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Huxley posted:

Thanks!

"Plans within plans within plans" scheming is a big thing in the Frank Herbert written Dune stories. Especially in the Dune book you're reading right now, Dune 1965, where I think every major named character name-drops "plans within plans with plans" scheming. This gets better/worse in the Frank Herbert written Dune sequels, every faction will have multi-layered plans that get slowly revealed over the story.

So: Yes, go on, you appear to be on the right track.

Can't say how the Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson Dune stories go re: "Plans within plans within plans" scheming. I have vague memories of everything in them being hastily rebadged Star Wars Expanded Universe content and unsubtle to the point where Hanna-Barbara cartoons like Scooby Doo Mysteries and nursery rhymes felt like Thomas Pynchon in comparison..but that's just my opinion.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The near-past KJA-affected Dune books were pretty basic, mostly straight expansion of the stated backstory from the first book. The distant-past ones were a deeply cynical take on the Dune universe, which is honestly a bit impressive.

Neither was in any way well-written, although I did kind of like the twist that the "cowardice" that sparked the Harkonnen-Atredes vendetta was Ancestor Harkonnen objecting to Ancestor Atredes's plan to glass any planet with the robo-enemy on it without trying to rescue the human slaves first.

mewse
May 2, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

let us know what you think of the ending. :roflolmao:

I finished it finally. Spoilering discussion of the ending of The Reality Dysfunction

It's literally deus ex machina, which I expected. It was nice to have him finally wrap up all the plot lines though.

My biggest complaint is I feel like this possession thing should have been solved in the first book. It's a magic problem with a magic bullet solution and he stretched it into a drat trilogy with plot lines like Al Capone coming back to life, or Sexy Marie Skibbow trying to take control of a space station or Sexy Marie Skibbow's dad going insane, none of which I gave a poo poo about. I think I kept reading because there was no resolution at the end of the first book, but I didn't expect them to be so drat long.

I spent 2 months reading these books and now I'm four books behind on my yearly reading challenge, THANK YOU PETER F HAMILTON

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mewse posted:

I finished it finally. Spoilering discussion of the ending of The Reality Dysfunction

It's literally deus ex machina, which I expected. It was nice to have him finally wrap up all the plot lines though.

My biggest complaint is I feel like this possession thing should have been solved in the first book. It's a magic problem with a magic bullet solution and he stretched it into a drat trilogy with plot lines like Al Capone coming back to life, or Sexy Marie Skibbow trying to take control of a space station or Sexy Marie Skibbow's dad going insane, none of which I gave a poo poo about. I think I kept reading because there was no resolution at the end of the first book, but I didn't expect them to be so drat long.

I spent 2 months reading these books and now I'm four books behind on my yearly reading challenge, THANK YOU PETER F HAMILTON

It was kind of impressive to me that it was a literal god-machine floating in space.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9WRHNH
YA

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9WRHNH
YA

That's a terrific book. Some people may have skipped it because it was a YA title, or because it's about a young Kitsune woman who gets herself into, and out of a lot of trouble, and winds up solving a bigger problem along the way. Like she ends up impersonating a junior officer on a warship for stretch. There's some cool stuff with spaceship tech, good character scenes as she tries to fit in as a junior officer, the slowly unraveling mystery, and the fear of discovery. It's really only YA because it's about a young person still growing into themselves. This is a solid novel with a lot of cool stuff in it, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Urcher posted:

The ending is that the main character, a middle aged man, goes back in time to assume the body and life of his teenage self and gets together with his teenage girlfriend without telling her that he is now a middle aged man in a young body. The creepy sex isn’t detailed, but the conclusion encourages the reader to consider the creepy sex that is likely to be happening in the immediate aftermath.

gently caress, I read that rec and went “yeah! I remember that one! really solid action scenes, cool worldbuilding, I liked the whole occupation setup” and I guess my brain had completely lanced out any memory of the ending. Yeah, Fallen Dragon doesn’t Hamilton quite as bad until it Hamiltons very hard at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I haven't read his larest series but his absolute rock bottom sex weird was mr bovey, though there are so many, I dread to think how he will explain them to his children when they are old enough to read his books. He toned it down towards the end of his commonwealth saga. I hope he stopped writing with one hand after that.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 14, 2020