Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

The earlier Ghost books are pretty bad with it, like I mentally edit in a few zeroes at the end of nearly every number on rereads.

If wonder if you counted every nameless tanith soldier that dies or is mentioned to have died in those books, if you'd reach a point when more people have died than are supposedly in the regiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Even the better writers do this, I was rereading a Ravenor book the other day and I got to a point where something very bad happens to a whole hive city, the next line is "Thousands died."

One of the things I appreciated a lot about Helsreach was that even a "minor" city hab is still countless lives before you even factor in the defensive forces and guys who are flown in to assist.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
"Hello space marines? We had an ork rok with quite a few orks slam full tilt into our hive. We have multiple causalities, please send help"

There was one book that did numbers kinda well when it mentioned that an ork held space hulk slamming into the ground would likely release a billion or so still functional orks and that this would indeed be an issue.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 12, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Not to fully commit to my iron hands posting gimmick but The Voice of Mars has an ork invasion via Rok on a knight world that brings up how even if millions of orks die in the crash there's still billions more inside

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The trick with 40k casualty reports is to mentally add in "who matter" to any mention of numbers.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hey uh
off topic
but are battletech books interesting and fun or nah? I seem to remember whole shelves of them at a half price books once and it made me think of the let’s rewrite battletech lp and how much I used to like reading that

Edit: about numbers chat- I’m half way through The Emperor’s Legion and the mob at the palace gates number in the thousands and there are 6,000 custodes and ... hmph

wolfs fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 13, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

wolfs posted:

hey uh
off topic
but are battletech books interesting and fun or nah? I seem to remember whole shelves of them at a half price books once and it made me think of the let’s rewrite battletech lp and how much I used to like reading that

Edit: about numbers chat- I’m half way through The Emperor’s Legion and the mob at the palace gates number in the thousands and there are 6,000 custodes and ... hmph

As I recall there were some authors that got started on BT books end went on to do better stuff, but generally they were poorly edited and hacky.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

wolfs posted:

hey uh
off topic

As with the 40k books (or any multi-authored shared setting) some are terrible, most are kinda average, a couple are really good. Wolves on the Border is probably the best of the lot.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Even the better writers do this, I was rereading a Ravenor book the other day and I got to a point where something very bad happens to a whole hive city, the next line is "Thousands died."

One imagines that there are hives and then there are hives, in the same way that the smallest city in the world has a population of 23 people. A failed and decaying hive dedicated to producing something for which the Imperium no longer has much demand and where all but a few zones have become uninhabitable may undergo a catastrophic depopulation and get down to the thousands.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 13, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

BL keeps coming up with better ways to make me spend money. The two special editions have different bonus short stories.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/13/warhammer-40000-preview-beyond-the-boxgw-homepage-post-2/

Those covers are sweet too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SerCypher posted:

If wonder if you counted every nameless tanith soldier that dies or is mentioned to have died in those books, if you'd reach a point when more people have died than are supposedly in the regiment.

At least the Ghosts are explicitly reinforced at several points during the seriew

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

At least the Ghosts are explicitly reinforced at several points during the seriew

You want tight continuity look elsewhere than GG, a series in which a minor continuity error midway through became a major plot point in the later novels.

Also early on in the series he kills a named soldier off and then accidentally brought them back in a later book, and when he realised he worked the miraculous survival into their character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bonin is a good character though so it was worth falling to his supposed death off of a battle pyramid.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Abnett is more interested in telling war stories IN SPACE than meticulous continuity and tbh I'm happy with that approach. It's pulp war sci-fi.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I got the Hams 4 Kidz books on a lark. I’m halfway through the first one, currently reading the Jokaero POV chapter. It’s fun, and I’m excited for the Ork book with green pages!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I got about halfway through the first one and put it down somewhere and just sort of... forgot about it. I dunno why, since I was enjoying it even if it was written for 10 year olds.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1272053924762136583?s=20

So an increased orbit of around 2 and a half miles further out in the year 40,000.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm at book 5 of reading the whole Horus Heresy series, and I am really enjoying it.

Particularly this theme of like, 'Good Religion vs Bad Religion' and 'Good Art vs Destructive Passion'.

Often military sci-fi books are written by grognard conservative grumps, and they tend to view art and religion with a bit of a sneer. So it's fun seeing a military sci-fi book try to tackle like, what is great about art, and it's value. At one point Fulgrim gives a definition for what abstract art is, "They are recreations of reality formed according to the artist's metaphysical value judgements." It's such a good description that I wonder if the author stole it from something.

I also like how the little remembrancer conclaves on the various ships turn into little hippie towns that everyone wants to hang out in. Especially the one on Horus's ship. Like of course plopping 200 artists together on a ship without much supervision is going to lead to some shenanigans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1272053924762136583?s=20

So an increased orbit of around 2 and a half miles further out in the year 40,000.

drat Grey Knights messing around with greenskin tellyporta techiology.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat Grey Knights messing around with greenskin tellyporta techiology.

I think Titan has explicitly been removed not just from its orbit, but the entire physical universe in 40k. I think it's literally parked in the warp, presumably as a 'gently caress you' to Chaos.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Titan has explicitly been removed not just from its orbit, but the entire physical universe in 40k. I think it's literally parked in the warp, presumably as a 'gently caress you' to Chaos.

Nah that happened during the Horus Heresy, it's back out now, it was done to protect the moon and slow down time locally while the Grey Knights were built into the full chapter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean it's not beyond the Imperium's power. Didn't they somehow move the entire solar system closer to galactic central to better serve as the capital? Not to mention how they quietly relocated Ullanor and renamed it Armageddon.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean it's not beyond the Imperium's power. Didn't they somehow move the entire solar system closer to galactic central to better serve as the capital? Not to mention how they quietly relocated Ullanor and renamed it Armageddon.
The Sol system not being where it's supposed to be in real life has been a thing for a long time. As far as I know, the Imperium didn't move it. But Ullanor was moved because it was an Ork attack moon with its own teleportation system.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Sol system not being where it's supposed to be in real life has been a thing for a long time. As far as I know, the Imperium didn't move it. But Ullanor was moved because it was an Ork attack moon with its own teleportation system.

Wasn't there a theory that the system encountered in the first Horus Heresy book was the actual Sol system?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is beyond them when the guy who did it didn't just die, but had his soul utterly consumed by the Golden Throne (Malcador). I mean the entire point of the Imperium is they've declined and can't do the things they used to do.

The Mechanicum didn't want to destroy Ullanor like the Imperium wanted, so they used the Ork Tellyporta stuff to move it and apparently learn the Ork tech secrets, and covered it all up. They didn't actually figure any of the tech out, they just made more problems for the Imperium, because the Orks are still drawn to their homeworld.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 14, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1789991935/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its up for preorder and expanded.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Is that just a reprint of the uplifting primer?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
And the munitorum manual, with some other stuff in there too it seems.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

And the munitorum manual, with some other stuff in there too it seems.

I went and looked in my garage, since I remembered I had a copy of the primer. I guess I actually had the infantryman's handbook instead.

I wonder if someone would actually buy it for Amazon's used price of 471 for a hardcover. I'll take 450.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Plucky Brit posted:

Wasn't there a theory that the system encountered in the first Horus Heresy book was the actual Sol system?

It probably was.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

Its a fan theory but GW is internally consistent that Terra is our Earth with ruins, names and civilizations, artifacts and even people (perpetuals) existing in universe

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SerCypher posted:

I went and looked in my garage, since I remembered I had a copy of the primer. I guess I actually had the infantryman's handbook instead.

I wonder if someone would actually buy it for Amazon's used price of 471 for a hardcover. I'll take 450.
That is likely a relic of some bot-driven price setting. I doubt it will ever sell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That could also be a trick stores do to avoid paying restocking fees. You mark an out of stock item up to something absurd, and then you don't have to pay Amazon to list it again if it ever comes back into stock. (You just set the price back where it belongs. )

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

That is likely a relic of some bot-driven price setting. I doubt it will ever sell.

Dang, there goes my riches :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think one of the Ravenor books has one of the characters run into a Soviet action figure of Yuri Gagarin in an antique shop.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Of course the disapointingly mundane answer to "Terra being in the wrong place" is "Early GW hosed up".

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Demiurge4 posted:

I think one of the Ravenor books has one of the characters run into a Soviet action figure of Yuri Gagarin in an antique shop.

It was a model of a space probe in Pariah.
Now Abnett could have used the same trick twice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a strong case to be made that our Earth, Dark Future, Chainsaw Warrior, Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and then AoS all take place in the same universe.

Dark Future and Chainsaw Warrior featured Chaos on Earth, and 40k has definite roots here.

WHFB actually takes place after 40k, given than 1) the Storm of Chaos relics were 40k wargear and 2) Slaanesh already exists. And there's a direct path from WHFB to AoS.

I've seen it floated around that WHFB takes place on a tiny world somewhere in 40k, but it makes much more sense if it's the last world of 40k.

I could probably do a clickbait article or bad YouTube about it, but honestly that's my whole theory.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Demiurge4 posted:

Close - they were three Soviet toy rockets. But their survival only requires that our Earth existed at some point in the 40k timeline; it doesn't need it to have become Holy Terra.

Mind you, I think it would be insanely dumb if HT wasn't Earth, given that the lore is full of references to only slightly altered Earth names, cultures and religions, and that the solar system matches the Sol system to a T.

I haven't read the Horus Heresy snippet being alluded to, but the only way I can see it making any sense would be if DAOT humanity had used their godlike tech to build a clone of the Sol system, perhaps after some catastrophe befell the original. And it would still be a huge stretch to describe that as "making any sense".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Deptfordx posted:

Of course the disapointingly mundane answer to "Terra being in the wrong place" is "Early GW hosed up".

Why go with the boring but probably correct answer when you can make up super convoluted explanations like all nerds like to do?