Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

re: the wiki
isn't there an offiically run japanese wiki database? I feel like I remember oda mentioning it in a SBS before, that they try to keep it up to date so that new readers dont have to fill their bookshelves with 60 volumes of old material if they jump in at a new arc, they can just reference the database for full summaries and character info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm guessing the Japanese one is better than the English language wiki, because if he was using info from that the story would be hosed.

The English One Piece wiki has several stylistic quirks that annoy me, but the substantive information seems to be generally correct.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The English wiki's insistence on using anime screenshots irks me in many ways.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The English wiki's insistence on using anime screenshots irks me in many ways.

it is always cool to look at the image history (or toggle the character images) and see just how much worse the anime looks than its corresponding panel

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

See as someone who's worked in animation I would normally be quick to defend that by saying they've got to draw these characters a hundred billion times and it's naturally going to look a bit sloppy or simplified if they ever want to get the episodes done, but

there's really not a lot of animation in the anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Libra posted:

See as someone who's worked in animation I would normally be quick to defend that by saying they've got to draw these characters a hundred billion times and it's naturally going to look a bit sloppy or simplified if they ever want to get the episodes done, but

I think it got a little better in that aspect ever since the new director took over but yeah, still not great (and I’ll be surprised if the current hiatus winds up improving the pacing one bit).

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Libra posted:

I mean I get it because this thing is probably under poo poo conditions on a tight time limit but its just

bad

its bad

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
constant panning still scenes bad?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was kind of expecting them to get crushed at some point, particularly the samurai, and as much as Luffy can hit harder now after the prison training, it definitely feels like he needs another power up like awakening to power through. What is anyone meant to do about Kaido throwing a giant fireball at them, or Big Mom's sun? If Luffy can turn them to rubber and bounce them back, then maybe...

I feel like Luffy will learn Awakening and whatever else is the endgame potential for his Devil Fruit before encountering Blackbeard, if only to highlight Luffy's strength after having all of his abilities taken away and having to rely on his fists and Haki alone against Blackbeard's overwhelming advantage. Essentially, "can Luffy still win even with one hand tied behind his back?"

And it will be spectacular. Just imagining Blackbeard coming at him with a fist full of earthquakes and whatever other Devil Fruit abilities he's stolen by then, and Luffy just going no. I could very well see Kaidou dying and Blackbeard swooping in to steal his Oni/Dragon Devil Fruit ability to complete the Paramecia/Logia/Zoan trifecta or having dozens upon dozens of different Devil Fruits absorbed and turning into some crazy Tetsuo-esque abomination.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 15, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

constant panning still scenes bad?

Oh, you're lucky to get pans.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Libra posted:

honestly i think a big issue was around fishman island the character designs got really ugly in the anime. the new art direction really helps with the mediocre stills.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
what I hate is, knowing what the One Piece anime is like and knowing why it is that way, watching other anime recommended to me that suffer from the same issues

a show that isn't even based on a manga but has the same awful pacing issues as One Piece anime? what the gently caress is this garbage

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

what I hate is, knowing what the One Piece anime is like and knowing why it is that way, watching other anime recommended to me that suffer from the same issues

a show that isn't even based on a manga but has the same awful pacing issues as One Piece anime? what the gently caress is this garbage

Out of morbid curiosity, what series are you referring to there?

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Every time someone says they don't like OP, but what they don't like are things that are added by the anime because it's bad, makes me annoyed

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Strelok604 posted:

Every time someone says they don't like OP, but what they don't like are things that are added by the anime because it's bad, makes me annoyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO5ozktCSE0

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Strelok604 posted:

Stay out of the anime thread then because hoo loving boy lmao

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Having Hody and his crew almost taken away by slavers is still the dumbest loving idea. Just have 12 more scenes of blinking if that's what you're going to do when you go write out some insert filler.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel bad for the poor writers who have been grasping at straws for padding ever since like, freaking Thriller Bark? Is that when the filler arcs ended? The One Piece anime is definitely a relic of its time at some point, I think the idea of any shonen at this point not just being in seasons is outdated as hell at this point.

Shame, I had some really good times with that show. It had so much going for it...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

The English One Piece wiki has several stylistic quirks that annoy me, but the substantive information seems to be generally correct.

Yeah I'm probably being unfair, those stylistic irritants make all those anime wikis blend together for me, and thinking on it its primarily the Hunter x Hunter and MHA wikis that I remember the blatant factual errors from.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Last Celebration posted:

I feel bad for the poor writers who have been grasping at straws for padding ever since like, freaking Thriller Bark? Is that when the filler arcs ended? The One Piece anime is definitely a relic of its time at some point, I think the idea of any shonen at this point not just being in seasons is outdated as hell at this point.

Shame, I had some really good times with that show. It had so much going for it...
It's a blessing/curse for the anime. There's not hundreds of episodes of useless filler like Naruto or Bleach had but every episode is like 10 minutes of content and the rest is filler. The point where I stopped watching the Anime regularly was Marineford's arc where it was just minutes and minutes every episode of people looking shocked and marines running around.

In the perfect world, One Piece's fillers would be stuff like, 20 episodes of side-characters before going back to the main story because most of them are so fleshed out between cover arcs and all that. Watching Law and his crew on an island pre time skip could've been a lot of fun, take advantage of the fact that Oda's done so good at building what feels like a MASSIVE world where the planet doesn't revolve around the main character. Every single one of the Supernovas had high bounties too so they had to be up to something

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's really weird how Pirate Warriors 4 "translates" One Piece as Gold Roger's lost treasure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gold Roger's Lost Treasure: Pirate Warriors 4

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gyges posted:

Having Hody and his crew almost taken away by slavers is still the dumbest loving idea. Just have 12 more scenes of blinking if that's what you're going to do when you go write out some insert filler.

is there a clip of this? or what episode is it in

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pirate Warrior's 4: The Legend of Roger's Gold

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

It's a blessing/curse for the anime. There's not hundreds of episodes of useless filler like Naruto or Bleach had but every episode is like 10 minutes of content and the rest is filler. The point where I stopped watching the Anime regularly was Marineford's arc where it was just minutes and minutes every episode of people looking shocked and marines running around.

In the perfect world, One Piece's fillers would be stuff like, 20 episodes of side-characters before going back to the main story because most of them are so fleshed out between cover arcs and all that. Watching Law and his crew on an island pre time skip could've been a lot of fun, take advantage of the fact that Oda's done so good at building what feels like a MASSIVE world where the planet doesn't revolve around the main character. Every single one of the Supernovas had high bounties too so they had to be up to something

In spite of the filler I still maintain the Naruto anime was actually better than the manga in many aspects. I also remember actually kind of enjoying some of One Piece’s filler arcs (such as Chopperman, Boss Luffy, and the one where they were stuck inside a marine base) and would honestly prefer they did more stuff like that over the current setup.

There’s also the fact that ever since Enies Lobby, every episode doesn’t really start until like 3-4 minutes in (there’s an overly long OP, a brief synopsis of the main premise of the series/current arc, and finally a recap of the previous episode). Of course Enies Lobby also had possibly the worst filler in the series (the stretch of episodes that were basically just a recap of each characters story up until then complete with them replaying the exact same opening and ending scenes over and over again).

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Larryb posted:

In spite of the filler I still maintain the Naruto anime was actually better than the manga in many aspects. I also remember actually kind of enjoying some of One Piece’s filler arcs (such as Chopperman, Boss Luffy, and the one where they were stuck inside a marine base) and would honestly prefer they did more stuff like that over the current setup.

There’s also the fact that ever since Enies Lobby, every episode doesn’t really start until like 3-4 minutes in (there’s an overly long OP, a brief synopsis of the main premise of the series/current arc, and finally a recap of the previous episode). Of course Enies Lobby also had possibly the worst filler in the series (the stretch of episodes that were basically just a recap of each characters story up until then complete with them replaying the exact same opening and ending scenes over and over again).

I've been watching the anime here and there, just got past Thriller Bark, and there are some episodes it's 6 minutes in before the episode title card.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Larryb posted:

Honestly I prefer filler like that because then I can skip the episode.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I knew it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yeah, when he was defeated and the shades came off but no face shot was shown, it was known! it's the demasking of the villain. *sniff* at his lowest, at his defeat, the face falls off. *wild hand gestures* then we come face to face with the real villain, the real person. *sniff* my god, at his lowest, all is laid bare, his true inner self is exposed and so on and so on. and what do we see? more shades. he has, i claim, internalized the shades, internalized the cool. *pinches nostrils* remove the shades, and you remove the person, thereby removing the dream.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think in another SBS discussing Doflamingo's design, Oda just casually referred to the shades as his eyes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm still mad that Doflamingo's eyes weren't revealed to be cute like the awakened zoans in Impel Down.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Doffy has Pekoms' eyes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

A Bug posted:

Doffy has Perona's eyes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
On the topic of filler, it feels like Wano would be perfectly made to stretch out in places in the anime. Oda is flying through things right now, so I could see some of the fights being expanded. Did they expand much of the fight during the wedding and subsequent chase during the Big Mom arc on the anime?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

is there a clip of this? or what episode is it in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOSQrydZIY

Havoc904 posted:

On the topic of filler, it feels like Wano would be perfectly made to stretch out in places in the anime. Oda is flying through things right now, so I could see some of the fights being expanded. Did they expand much of the fight during the wedding and subsequent chase during the Big Mom arc on the anime?

They steadfastly refuse to expand on things that could easily be expanded on, instead opting to expand on things that can't be expanded on. It seems like the writers hired for the anime are only allowed to gently caress around with things, and are explicitly bared from anything that could be an improvement on a scene. Only the music and voice actors are allowed to do that.

Better to draw out a beat down, drive a joke into the ground, or jiggle some titties than use any level of competence.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Havoc904 posted:

No dude most of the anime actually saps the energy out of the scenes with the slow pacing instead. Like you have the wedding invasion plan in action and in the anime it's just people standing around 90% of the time watching and talking about what's going on. When in the Manga it's a huge panic because your brain fills in the tiny gaps between panels instead of "animations" which run for minutes at a time.

One pace fixes a bunch of this but it gets jarring at times because of the needed cuts.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Voxx posted:

No dude most of the anime actually saps the energy out of the scenes with the slow pacing instead. Like you have the wedding invasion plan in action and in the anime it's just people standing around 90% of the time watching and talking about what's going on. When in the Manga it's a huge panic because your brain fills in the tiny gaps between panels instead of "animations" which run for minutes at a time.

One pace fixes a bunch of this but it gets jarring at times because of the needed cuts.

I tried to watch the Luffy vs Katakuri fight and it was just such a slog to watch in the anime.

I had no idea about One Pace though. Thanks for that. Maybe that'll make the show watchable again. I haven't watched it in about a decade.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 16, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Lpzie posted:

:zizek:

Lacan Piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Thoren posted:

I tried to watch the Luffy vs Katakuri fight and it was just such a slog to watch in the anime.

I had no idea about One Pace though. Thanks for that. Maybe that'll make the show watchable again. I haven't watched it in about a decade.

At least the ending was cool