Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Three wolf moon shirt but it's three Rei clones against the Black Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*checks Rei figures*

Plugsuit, plugsuit, white swimsuit, funko, school swimsuit, black plugsuit, black plugsuit, plugsuit, regular school uniform...

Radio Eva and Original Color

...dammit, that looks really good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beefstew posted:

I would only buy an Evangelion figure if it was Toast Rei. If it exists, please let me know.

I think that's the one variation I haven't ever seen.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

Uniqlo’s Evangelion shirts are up on their site: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ut-graphic-tees/evangelion

Copped the MAGI and suit plug timer shirts

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My wife and I had never seen anything Evangelion before, so we binged it on Netflix over the past couple days. Just finished End of Eva.

Hell yeah

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Congratulations. :golfclap:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How disgusting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Congratulations!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm so hosed up...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
wark

I'm just gonna pretend that's the sound a penguin makes

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Congrad u a tions

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Congratulations :toot:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Had a down weekend and finally got around to watching the Netflix edition of the TV series and EoE. I'd never seen either before and barely had any idea what they were about.

:stare:

EoE was a fascinating piece of work but wow it was so depressing. It shits all over Shinji, who is now not just a broken person but an actively repugnant one. It really blew me away that he tries to kill Asuka TWICE in varying states of (un?)reality. His character is completely unresolved, he's just a bad, pathetic person who didn't grow at all. It's also such a left turn from his relationship to Asuka in the TV series which didn't have so many hideously dark tones. Misato goes from a struggling, sometimes failing protagonist to "I'll bang you if you robot" out of what feels like nowhere. Rei is just a completely soulless plot device. I gotta say I dug the original 25-26 ending, since all the characters get some kind of resolution. I honestly wish I'd just capped it at Congratulations! and walked away.

Also...is it just me or are there a ton of plot holes? If episode 1 is the third angel attack, the show never explains what the second angel was, given that the first is presumably Adam / Lilith. Or why there's a Tokyo-3 built specifically to withstand the attacks. The show starts talking about S2 drives somewhere, keeps referring to them as critically important, and never explains what they are.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Adam, the thing at the South Pole and later on Gendo’s hand, was the first Angel. Lilith, the white blob in the NERV basement, was the second Angel.

S2 drives are the power sources of the attacking Angels. When Eva 01 eats one it doesn’t need to be plugged in to run anymore.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 15, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Red Crown posted:

Also...is it just me or are there a ton of plot holes? If episode 1 is the third angel attack, the show never explains what the second angel was, given that the first is presumably Adam / Lilith. Or why there's a Tokyo-3 built specifically to withstand the attacks. The show starts talking about S2 drives somewhere, keeps referring to them as critically important, and never explains what they are.

This really drove the cult of worship that grew around Eva in the late 90s/early00s. People posting 10k's of words about possible meaning and symbolism and rampant speculation including whether EoE was either a true ending or a sideways ending etc.

NGE was set up to fail from the beginning as a tax dodge scheme so the studio exes told the creator to do whatever he wanted and when a severely depressed artist is given free range to express themselves you can get some truly stunning work as a result.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Red Crown posted:

Had a down weekend and finally got around to watching the Netflix edition of the TV series and EoE. I'd never seen either before and barely had any idea what they were about.

EoE was a fascinating piece of work but wow it was so depressing. It shits all over Shinji, who is now not just a broken person but an actively repugnant one. It really blew me away that he tries to kill Asuka TWICE in varying states of (un?)reality. His character is completely unresolved, he's just a bad, pathetic person who didn't grow at all. It's also such a left turn from his relationship to Asuka in the TV series which didn't have so many hideously dark tones. Misato goes from a struggling, sometimes failing protagonist to "I'll bang you if you robot" out of what feels like nowhere. Rei is just a completely soulless plot device. I gotta say I dug the original 25-26 ending, since all the characters get some kind of resolution. I honestly wish I'd just capped it at Congratulations! and walked away.

I felt like Shinji did grow as a person. He learned the pain of other people and the risk of being hurt is better than a false idealized simulated reality that has no boundary between you and someone else . As Agent Smith says "Humans rejected a perfect world because they kept trying to wake up"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qs3GlNZMhY

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Red Crown posted:

You need to read between the lines for a lot of plot details stuff like that (that at end doesn't really matter too much).

The things you mentioned in your post are all touched on the show though, you just may not have seen them.

quote:

It shits all over Shinji, who is now not just a broken person but an actively repugnant one. It really blew me away that he tries to kill Asuka TWICE in varying states of (un?)reality.

I disagree, since EoE and the last 2 episodes happen at the same time, I think it shows Shinji's actual growth as a character. In the show he mostly goes with the flow, doesn't really know what he wants. He just kind of accepts the world around him and asks no questions. He's hurt all the time, thinks no one understands him constantly or they just see him as a kid. When Asuka finally comes into the picture, Shinji finally has someone he can relate to with the eva experiences. The thing is, everyone plays it cool on the surface, but they're deeply hurting inside.

When Shinji finally confronts Asuka in EoE, its like a whole release of their true feelings that they bottled up.

quote:

His character is completely unresolved, he's just a bad, pathetic person who didn't grow at all. It's also such a left turn from his relationship to Asuka in the TV series which didn't have so many hideously dark tones

I personally don't think this is true. If anything, Shinji does grow and realizes a bunch of things during human instrumentality/third impact. Shinji is still a kid in the show and he deals with all his traumas in the the last two episodes/EoE. You know like a bunch of hosed up poo poo has happened, most of the adults told Shinji to suck it up and just get in the robot anyway even though he gets hurt physically and emotionally inside the eva. The dark tone stuff, idk it was kinda lingering beneath the surface between Shinji and Asuka. Asuka's whole backstory is also incredibly dark too.

I think once Shinji has the breakthrough in Episode 25 that he does want to continue living and seeing other people even though he might get hurt is huge growth. He's probably hated himself since his mom died and his dad abandoned him to work at Nerv.

quote:

Misato goes from a struggling, sometimes failing protagonist to "I'll bang you if you robot" out of what feels like nowhere.

Misato actually puts on the moves a few times in the show with Shinji. She doesn't really know how to talk to people since she is also traumatized by 2nd impact, but the only thing she does know is sex. She gets into sex with Kaji because she wants to be grown up and looked as a woman (which is also what Asuka wants too with Kaji iirc). After episode 24, when Shinji is grieving about Rei, she tries to start something sexually with Shinji. But he rejects her.

quote:

Rei is just a completely soulless plot device

disagree

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Misato actually puts on the moves a few times in the show with Shinji.
Yeah.
Their first interaction is a cheesecake photo with, essentially, LOOK TITTIES.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
EoE is a film that I strongly recommend revisiting when you feel up for it, it's definitely brutal but there is an underyling optimism to be found that I came to consider very affirming and therefore more meaningful by the end of it all. It is the culmination of the notion that even if painful, we should not reject connections with other people and life in general, and that even though there won't be a magic make everything better button to hit it's still worth trying for rather than the easy but ultimately unfulfilling solutions presented by instrumentality (and any other number of negative/destructive stand ins you could insert in its place).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nate RFB posted:

EoE is a film that I strongly recommend revisiting when you feel up for it, it's definitely brutal but there is an underyling optimism to be found that I came to consider very affirming and therefore more meaningful by the end of it all. It is the culmination of the notion that even if painful, we should not reject connections with other people and life in general, and that even though there won't be a magic make everything better button to hit it's still worth trying for rather than the easy but ultimately unfulfilling solutions presented by instrumentality (and any other number of negative/destructive stand ins you could insert in its place).
The climactic scene in instrumentality between Shinji and Rei/Kaworu where he learns his most important truth is absolutely beautiful. I loving love that music, too.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

EoE is incredible on second watch after the shock wears off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pentyne posted:

NGE was set up to fail from the beginning as a tax dodge scheme so the studio exes told the creator to do whatever he wanted and when a severely depressed artist is given free range to express themselves you can get some truly stunning work as a result.
Can you give more details on how NGE is the plot of The Producers IRL?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

The climactic scene in instrumentality between Shinji and Rei/Kaworu where he learns his most important truth is absolutely beautiful. I loving love that music, too.

Man i haven't seen it for a year or two but just thinking about this scene gives me goosebumps/makes the hairs on my neck rise. The whole second half of the movie is maybe my favourite 40~ minutes of.... anything ever.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I can't watch the last 20 minutes of EoE without tearing up at something along the way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BB2K posted:

Man i haven't seen it for a year or two but just thinking about this scene gives me goosebumps/makes the hairs on my neck rise. The whole second half of the movie is maybe my favourite 40~ minutes of.... anything ever.
I mean, the solo violin just makes my heart ache, but the part right after his rejection of instrumentality with the orchestra stirring with the brass and the EVA howling when it bursts out of the eyeball is incredible.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I still get a bit teary at the scene with the sandbox, and I can’t even really articulate why.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nessus posted:

I feel like that's fandom apocrypha since as Anno told it recently, he wasn't tied down to Gainax at the time he wanted to make Eva, and only had it produced there for old time's sake (the company was founded by him and his friends in the mid-80s).

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-30/hideaki-anno-details-his-falling-out-with-gainax/.154892

There was a tax scandal in 1999 and various other cases of financial mismanagement and exploitation though, which ultimately motivated his split from Gainax and moving into more managerial roles himself to avoid those issues happening to him and his staff again.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Nessus posted:

What little I know comes from reading the Notenki Memoirs, but Gainax the Animation Studio was basically being held afloat financially by Gainax The Quasi-Adult PC game developer and General Products, Gainax's Garage Kit and model manufacturing operation. These many wings of the company were being managed by geeks that had little knowledge of Japanese financial law and accounting, and they at best didn't know how to manage the finances and taxes of a company that size or at worst intentionally defrauded the Japanese Government. Either way it ended in a high profile audit during Evangelion's run and the rest, as they say, is history.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
quote =/= edit. sorry.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I can't watch the last 20 minutes of EoE without tearing up at something along the way.

same here but tbf i tear up at like every (good) movie these days

but just thinking about EoE again makes me want to rewatch everything

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Console Role Player posted:

What little I know comes from reading the Notenki Memoirs, but Gainax the Animation Studio was basically being held afloat financially by Gainax The Quasi-Adult PC game developer and General Products, Gainax's Garage Kit and model manufacturing operation. These many wings of the company were being managed by geeks that had little knowledge of Japanese financial law and accounting, and they at best didn't know how to manage the finances and taxes of a company that size or at worst intentionally defrauded the Japanese Government. Either way it ended in a high profile audit during Evangelion's run and the rest, as they say, is history.

Thank god because Evangelion fuckin rules.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Console Role Player posted:

I did know about the tax fraud, I just thought that was run of the mill, Wesley Snipes "never pay taxes again, and see what happens" kind of stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I still get a bit teary at the scene with the sandbox, and I can’t even really articulate why.

The abject sense of loneliness from Shinji having been essentially abandoned there I imagine.

But it's okay, if you look in the background Unit 01 is watching him.....

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

BL Stream is starting Neon Genesis Evangelion tonight at 8 pm Eastern.

https://cytu.be/r/Erg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAJfElpc-I

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nessus posted:

I did know about the tax fraud, I just thought that was run of the mill, Wesley Snipes "never pay taxes again, and see what happens" kind of stuff.

Tbf to Snipes, the government was probably also very concerned about his rising fame as a black movie star.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know if GU is a thing outside of Japan, but they started an Eva Collab yesterday

https://www.gu-japan.com/jp/feature/evacollab/men/sp/

I picked up the Tokyo 3 hooded sweatshirt and a couple other shirts, they rule but are a little oversized so I'll probably exchange them

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Beefstew posted:

I would only buy an Evangelion figure if it was Toast Rei. If it exists, please let me know.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Those aren't real, are they? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i would be shocked if you can't just get, like, attachable anime figure toast

failing that it can't be that hard to make some from greenstuff or whatever