Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

"Defund the police" and "abolish the police" are about a million miles from becoming uncontroversial mainstream accepted ideas. The entire genre of detective detectoring stories is not going to disappear overnight because the Extremely Online Left has a new slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

"Defund the police" and "abolish the police" are about a million miles from becoming uncontroversial mainstream accepted ideas. The entire genre of detective detectoring stories is not going to disappear overnight because the Extremely Online Left has a new slogan.

I remember some years ago a retired police detective was being extremely annoying at the local pub so I told everyone he was a retired police detective and none of the regulars would talk to him at all after that so he stopped coming in. I don't think a lot of online left goes to my local pub.

tl;dr: "gently caress the police" wasn't an online left song.

e: I'm not saying the fact that the vast majority of people has absolutely loathed all police for decades matters in the least vis-à-vis Terry Pratchett filmatisations because it doesn't, but also consider this: no John, you are the on-line.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 16, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the other hand, as little as I'm able to strictly define the Extremely Online Left, they're who shows are being marketed to these days, and even remotely fantasy shows especially so.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The American TV season just gone, in primetime, CBS had at least one cop show every night of the week (except Monday, when they change it up with two courtroom dramas). Tuesday and Friday are wall-to-wall cop shows. Fox has wall-to-wall cop shows on Monday and another cop show on Friday. NBC has the undisputed copwashing world champion Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which has been renewed and is arguably the most popular comedy in the USA right now.

Across the pond, in the last BAFTA TV Awards, three out of four nominees for Best Drama and one nominee for Best Miniseries were police/espionage shows of some sort and cop shows are still an easy and reliable way to do event TV. They're everywhere. Call me back when they all go the way of LivePD. I'll not hold my breath.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'd love less cop shows. Where is my fantasy Holby city?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
ACASB
All Coppers Are Suspicious Bastards.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I was surprised at the praise for the Going Postal adaptation in this thread. Personally I only really liked the adaptation of Hogfather as an adaptation. Going Postal works, but the changes it makes and the casting of Moist in particular make it feel a bit hollow.

Not at all close to the total butcher’s job The Watch has suffered though, which is a shame because I think I might enjoy a police procedural in a fantasy city.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't love any of the adaptations, but I'm always happy to see the world bought to life on screen in some way. Hogfather was my least favourite, but it's also one of my least favourite books.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Has anyone seen the old animated adaptions from the early 90's? I remember the Wyrd Sisters one but I don't remember if it was any good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Testekill posted:

Has anyone seen the old animated adaptions from the early 90's? I remember the Wyrd Sisters one but I don't remember if it was any good.

They did 2, Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music (which is a very odd choice). Soul Music was better than Wyrd Sisters, mainly on account of a cracking soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIgE23LHgPQ

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Testekill posted:

Again I wouldn't call them good or bad, just cool and worth watching.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Serperoth posted:

Or there could be things with Thud!, although the very much racial tension in that would need to be very carefully handled.

Or digging in to the Goblin stuff from UA and Snuff.

I'd like to see some play given to the golems. They're buying themselves out of slavery, but you';d have to have an extremely delicate touch on the metaphor.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I don't know why nobody's ever adapted The Truth. It's a good standalone, but still solidly in the A-M setting. Plus, it's got a great Pulp Fiction riff with Mr. Tulip and Mr. Pin.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Give me Monstrous Regiment.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Testekill posted:

:hmmyes:

e:

freelop posted:

Night Watch was the first thing I thought of when I heard of the CHAZ

I’ve unseriously toyed with the idea of asking a Seattle goon if they can get a hard-boiled egg in the cap hill zone, but I can’t think of a way to explain why without sounding even more like an alarmingly weird dumbass than I typically do. so I’m venting about it here instead, where someone reading this has a nonzero chance of recognizing that reference and chuckling inwardly, maybe

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 18, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Testekill posted:

See, now I'm trying to figure out who's terrifying enough to play Jackrum.

But yes, 110% do it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Testekill posted:

Oof, I've had them around for years, but somehow never watched them. I've seen a clip though and that had actually very good and natural sounding voice acting. The animation is very Russian, as in CDi Zelda Russian.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Testekill posted:

I 100% agree, but I don't know how you could cast it right without giving the whole game away or making a significant error.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that one just doesn't work in a medium where real life people represent a role. Like not even considering contemporary reception tends to equalize an actor's and their role's identity, just on a level where you can register "huh, a female actor is playing the male corporal" it doesn't work. Visually you could do it as an animated movie but then you run into trouble with the voice cast.

e: you know what though, work around limitations: Monstrous Regiment, the animated movie, in the style of 60s/70s Eastern Bloc stop motion. No voiced characters, just body language and a single narrator to tell the story.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 18, 2020

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I always thought Discworld would translate very well into a stop motion animation production - like the Laika Studios stuff. It mixes the grotesqueries and grubbiness of Ankh Morpork. The Box Trolls had a great aesthetic, even if the plot wasn't the strongest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oof, I've had them around for years, but somehow never watched them. I've seen a clip though and that had actually very good and natural sounding voice acting. The animation is very Russian, as in CDi Zelda Russian.

The animation was done by long venerated British animation studio Cosgrove Hall, home of Duckula, Danger Mouse, Superted, Wind in the Willows, etc, etc, as well as the stop-motion adaptation of Truckers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like the recent Netflix movie Klaus had an animation style that Discworld would slot very nicely into.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I 100% agree, but I don't know how you could cast it right without giving the whole game away or making a significant error.

The whole game is pretty much given away at the start of the story. The fact that they're terrible at passing for men is a big part of the story.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Lifeline Theatre did an adaption in Chicago back in 2014.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/ct-monstrous-regiment-review-story.html

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I honesty can’t remember anything about Monstrous Regiment.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Vimes' Watch is basically a watch that had been almost entirely defunded/abolished and then rebuilt from the ground up under strict moral principles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Vimes' Watch is basically a watch that had been almost entirely defunded/abolished and then rebuilt from the ground up under strict moral principles.

Vimes becomes a good cop without dying.

It's called fantasy literature for a good reason :mmmhmm:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The whole game is pretty much given away at the start of the story. The fact that they're terrible at passing for men is a big part of the story.

Yeah, but if you only cast lady actors - as you should for the story - you'll give it away the second the cast is announced.

OR you only cast non-binary actors. It gives away the general secret, but doesn't necessarily tell you who is playing what.

Also, Asia Kate Dillon has been my choice to play Polly for a while now, so I'm just expanding on that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Yeah, but if you only cast lady actors - as you should for the story - you'll give it away the second the cast is announced.

OR you only cast non-binary actors. It gives away the general secret, but doesn't necessarily tell you who is playing what.

But the point of the novel is not that that it's a big secret that the regiment is women only. The title of the book alone gives the "secret" away.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 19, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Just have an all female theater company. Problem solved

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

But the point of the novel is not that that it's a big secret that the regiment is women only. The title of the book alone gives the "secret" away.

the cover too

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

spoilers are a problem only for anal people

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the book the only ones who doesn't realize that they're women is the borogravian men because they can't comprehend the concept of female soldiers. Everyone else realize it right away.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

See, now I'm trying to figure out who's terrifying enough to play Jackrum.

Oh, that's easy, Ann Dowd aka Aunt Lydia from the Handmaid's Tale adaptation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

If you're into your history and know the quote, sure.

It's also not made obvious that Jackrum is a woman until much later than the rest of the squad.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

u brexit ukip it posted:

Oh, that's easy, Ann Dowd aka Aunt Lydia from the Handmaid's Tale adaptation.

I would have thought that the woman who played the principal in Matilda would've been great as Jackrum.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also plain more funny if there's at least some ambiguity around everyone. The constant reveals of more and more characters as women are funny. You keep thinking, okay, he might be... or he might be... nope they're both. But he surely isn't... yeah he is. Okay but not him yes him. But surely not *everyone* YES EVERYONE

If you go into it knowing everyone's a woman you'll sit there ticking the boxes. Oh okay this is when they reveal her, this is when they reveal her, and I guess here comes the big twist. Boring. Or, at least, can still be fun but any production company should probably avoid making it the default mode of reception for the audience.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Not everyone is going to see the title and go "I must just quickly run to Google to check out whether that's a reference to anything". It's obvious that the book is going to be about a woman in the army, but the blurb is very carefully written and the cover art is very carefully drawn, and on first reading, it's not necessarily obvious just how far Terry's going to go with the idea:

quote:

Polly Perks had to become a boy in a hurry. Cutting off her hair and wearing trousers was easy. Learning to fart and belch in public and walk like an ape took more time...

And now she's enlisted in the army, and searching for her lost brother. But there's a war on. There's always a war on. And Polly and her fellow recruits are suddenly in the thick of it, without any training, and the enemy is hunting them.

All they have on their side is the most artful sergeant in the army and a vampire with a lust for coffee. Well... they have the Secret. And as they take the war to the heart of the enemy, they have to use all the resources of... the Monstrous Regiment.

Taken at face value, the "monstrous" part of the regiment could refer specifically to the presence of the likes of Maladict and Carborundum and Wazzer, as initially presented.

I said a while ago ITT that I'm happy with the books being fundamentally un-adaptable to live-action TV or film, and this is one of the reasons why this one in particular is fundamentally un-adaptable; while the overwhelmingly dominant mode of live-action film/TV is naturalistic realism at all costs, it's all but impossible to replicate the effect of the reveals. You'd stand a lot better chance of doing it on radio, or with animation, because you can get away with a lot more there.

Like, imagine if you could do it live-action, but cast two or three or four actors for each part, start everyone off being played with hugely macho male actors while the Regiment is making its best effort to replicate what they think is expected of them, and then gradually start changing the casting over, getting less macho/male/masculine each time, as the story unfolds. (If I'm in charge, you also then swap the macho male cast back in for the infiltrating-the-castle-dressed-as-washerwomen sequence...)

Then you'd really have something worth watching, but it'd also be such a wild risk that nobody would ever go for it.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 19, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's also plain more funny if there's at least some ambiguity around everyone. The constant reveals of more and more characters as women are funny. You keep thinking, okay, he might be... or he might be... nope they're both. But he surely isn't... yeah he is. Okay but not him yes him. But surely not *everyone* YES EVERYONE

If you go into it knowing everyone's a woman you'll sit there ticking the boxes. Oh okay this is when they reveal her, this is when they reveal her, and I guess here comes the big twist. Boring. Or, at least, can still be fun but any production company should probably avoid making it the default mode of reception for the audience.

how do you think that it would be marketed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I know how it would be marketed and that that's one of the reasons it's unfilmable, but I also know how I'd want it to be marketed.