Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Luffy why are you losing to Kaido henchman left and right? You lost consciousness against Apoo. Are you sure you trained for this?? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

apoo has a very strong fruit and is explicitly introduced as being on the same level of infamy as luffy

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Keep in mind that bounties aren't literally Power Levels - lots of characters do things and become more powerful in ways that don't necessarily raise their bounty. Doffy's bounty was lower than Luffy's when they fought! Totally normal for one of the supernovas to be kind of a Big Deal.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Not to mention that on Wano he’s be largely off the WG’s radar. Also, narratively speaking I think it would be a huge waste of his character(or ANY of the Supernovas, for that matter) if he was a pushover.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bleck posted:

Keep in mind that bounties aren't literally Power Levels - lots of characters do things and become more powerful in ways that don't necessarily raise their bounty. Doffy's bounty was lower than Luffy's when they fought! Totally normal for one of the supernovas to be kind of a Big Deal.

The Supernovas are explicitly some of the strongest, craftiest or most successful pirates of the worst generation.
Its not about the bounty, but about the infamy that title brings.

Kind of like the shichibukai, they may not have had the highest bounties before getting recruited but they were strong enough to be noticed and given the position.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The real life pirate he's named after was a pretty big deal in his time.

Not quite a King of the Pirates, but certainly a fancy prince or a duke of some kind.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Supernovas are explicitly some of the strongest, craftiest or most successful pirates of the worst generation.
Its not about the bounty, but about the infamy that title brings.

Kind of like the shichibukai, they may not have had the highest bounties before getting recruited but they were strong enough to be noticed and given the position.

Basically, and keep in mind that any given Shichibukai could have potentially gotten stronger between getting the title and meeting Luffy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

scratchmen apoo more like scratch him from the story please. apoo

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Grouchio posted:

Luffy why are you losing to Kaido henchman left and right? You lost consciousness against Apoo. Are you sure you trained for this?? :psyduck:

Apoo is a high ranking member of a yonko’s crew, why would he be weak

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like a reminder there is no up from here. This is one of the strongest pirate crews on the planet, almost certainly the most vicious, and....that's that. There is no mega-secret hyper-level pirate above this. The World Government is more numerous than this, but not more powerful. Blackbeard looks more endgame, but we've also seen him get his rear end punked by tons of things before. This is pretty much the ceiling of what is possible in their world. If Luffy wasn't having trouble here One Piece would be irrelevant, he would be the Pirate King.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also it's not like luffy was seriously hurt, he got sucker punched by an attack he couldn't brace for.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Prediction: Whoever ends up fighting Apoo will totally school him by dancing along to his music to dodge the attacks. If it’s not Brook himself, he’ll definitely be the one who gets beat up figuring it out before he helps someone else do the tango.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brook is actually immune to Apoo, because skeletons don't have ears.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Brook is actually immune to Apoo, because skeletons don't have ears.

have we gone this long without oda pulling a krillin vs bacterian gag

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzd2UZAxCs

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is it better or worse that they stopped doing EDs?

Worse, because you get less music.

There were some pretty good EDs too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVfXTBO9II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPdJyLnXuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM9E1NCRdgM

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mulva posted:

Like a reminder there is no up from here. This is one of the strongest pirate crews on the planet, almost certainly the most vicious, and....that's that. There is no mega-secret hyper-level pirate above this. The World Government is more numerous than this, but not more powerful. Blackbeard looks more endgame, but we've also seen him get his rear end punked by tons of things before. This is pretty much the ceiling of what is possible in their world. If Luffy wasn't having trouble here One Piece would be irrelevant, he would be the Pirate King.

Opponents we still have that still need beating, that are possibly stronger than Kaido('s crew) (not counting Big Mom or CP0, since they're on Wano and may be included in this arc):
- Blackbeard
- Akainu
- Kizaru? I could see him not "needing" to be beaten
- Shanks
- Emu? we don't really know if he's a strong fighter, but he's definitely framed as a major antagonist.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Opponents we still have that still need beating, that are possibly stronger than Kaido('s crew) (not counting Big Mom or CP0, since they're on Wano and may be included in this arc):
- Blackbeard
- Akainu
- Shanks
- Emu? we don't really know if he's a strong fighter, but he's definitely framed as a major antagonist.

- The Big Hat

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

- Blackbeard
- Akainu
- Shanks

Kizaru is a subordinate of Akainu, and CP0 works for Imu even more than the Marines do. On the other hand, Zoro still needs to beat Mihawk, who should be stronger than Shanks and doesn't work for anyone anymore, 1-on-1.

Though Shanks, Akainu, or Mihawk shouldn't actually be stronger than Kaidou individually. "If it's one-on-one, always bet on Kaidou," after all. Blackbeard will probably surpass Kaidou by the time he fights Luffy, though, and since Imu's very existence is a secret, it wouldn't be widely known if he was stronger than Kaidou.

So there's 7 main groups left to beat: the four Emperor crews, the Marines (who have a bunch of powerful new super-robots now), the core of the World Government (including CP0), and Mihawk (who is just one guy, but Zoro will have to fight him 1-on-1). Other, weaker antagonistic factions are the Kidd Pirates (after the alliance against Kaidou is over), Weevil and his mother, Crocodile and his new crew, and I guess Urouge (I assume he's searching for One Piece too). So that's 11 total, though I don't expect the Straw Hats to actually fight all of the weaker factions (it's likely the Marines have already captured Weevil, for instance).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 18, 2020

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I miss when the OP's and Ed's were all happy vibes and felt appropriate to the show.

I really did not like when they started putting in generic pop songs for all the OP's past Kokoro no Chizu. We Go, Fight Together and Over the Top are the only ones that have been any good beyond that ( I hate Share the World, despite Share the Urouge being one of the best things ever created).

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
We still haven’t even seen green bull yet and weevil seems to be already handled

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Asuron posted:

I miss when the OP's and Ed's were all happy vibes and felt appropriate to the show.

I really did not like when they started putting in generic pop songs for all the OP's past Kokoro no Chizu. We Go, Fight Together and Over the Top are the only ones that have been any good beyond that ( I hate Share the World, despite Share the Urouge being one of the best things ever created).

brand new world, jungle p, and hope all rule

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

brand new world, jungle p, and hope all rule

Maybe Brand New World, but the other two?

Nahhh, no way.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wanna give some Mihawk appreciation here, just a phenomenal character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like it's especially weird they stopped doing EDs right at the point where they were starting to catch up and drag things out.

You'd think that having the ED in there would be a good guaranteed minute and a half.

But alas, that would require licensing two songs.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I hate Share the World

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

'We Are' and 'We Go' are my favs. The Wano one is also really good, but they need to stop putting episode spoilers in the openings.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We Are, Believe (extremely 90s dance music), Hikari E, Share the World, We Go, and Wake Up are all good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Wake Up is my contender for the worst opening right next to Hands Up and Super Powers. All generic, poppy songs that you could chuck on any other show and no one would bat an eye because of how bland/uninspired they are.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Believe was so good that I didn't mind it being the OP for what felt like 700 episodes

e: the original English eurobeat version is also very good

Fawf fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 19, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Believe is the only One Piece OP that I can actually believe was an actual song independent of the show, like some incredibly cracked-out 90s DJ would put it on after the five-hour La Bouche set.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My favourite One Piece opening is the one where the lyrics go “Yay!” over characters doing a sieg heil.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Map of the Heart and Hard Knock Days are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgdADA691o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwCDFIuT6AY

And Hope by Namie Amuro was perfect for Whole Cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo52vQyAR6w

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

My favourite One Piece opening is the one where the lyrics go “Yay!” over characters doing a sieg heil.

Opening 12: Kaze wo Shigashite, from the Impel Down and Marineford arcs.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
New Chapter

Break next week

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Really loved the Luffy / Ulti fight. Some fantastic momentum work by Oda and great choices of "camera angles". Who says One Piece doesn't have good fights??

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Do you think X Drake was able to infiltrate their ranks so easily because Kaidou wanted to complete his dinosaur collection?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
RIP Ulti. Got 5 pages of a fight scene and died.

Good chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Libra posted:

Do you think X Drake was able to infiltrate their ranks so easily because Kaidou wanted to complete his dinosaur collection?

I want to say it's just a thematic coincidence like most of Big Mom's crew having food/cooking based devil fruits.