Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This is so screwed up that I can't wait for the next chapter! The best/worst feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Schneider Heim posted:

This is so screwed up that I can't wait for the next chapter! The best/worst feeling
I both adore and despise that feeling.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
welp, poo poo's hosed :cry:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akiyama should give a dramatic speech about how he'll change fate through the power of determination

that's the future devil's favorite joke

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NickRoweFillea posted:

Him getting murked is going to break my heart.

IT’S EVEN WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 73 Official

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
The future sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_nT6ojWzxo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/christinelove/status/1272225769159380993?s=21

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

Makima's smiling a little at the start of the meeting, but when Aki says he's staying on, that smile vanishes. It's not replaced with a frown, either. It's a pure, dead stare, with none of her usual "I love it when a plan comes together" grin to it. (The smile that probably contributed to Madoka quitting when it showed up after he mentioned she was getting the special unit to herself, and that left again after he quit.)

Considering she said earlier he should try to live so she can use him on the Gun Devil operation, but just now she said it was fine if he ditched, and that her instruction to Aki were "Seriously, focus on staying alive.", I don't think he's an intentional sacrifice this time out, even if Makima knows what's likely coming down the pipe.

Power, on the other hand, might be. If Makima's parallels to Master are going to play out to the end, then she might be a way to make Denji feel guilt, or whatever else the finishing touch is. (Odd with how he clearly felt a bit of it already when killing the dolls, but if it's a different process, there could be a different requirement).

That said... I feel like some estimates of Makima's planning assume that everything that happened in the manga so far was exactly her plan, and I don't think the evidence matches up. One thing that sticks with me is the time she was shot in the head.

Not, to be clear, that Makima getting shot in the head was the problem per se. She definitely could have planned for that. The issue is her talking about ordering a bento before lunch. Something that would work perfectly if she knew something was going down, since the meeting would be cancelled, but something that didn't work with the timing for her getting shot.

She also loses Denji at the bar, and responded to the Hell Devil play like it's a change, rather than like it was part of the initial plan.

I think Makima's listening it is less "she hears everyone everywhere" and more "she can hear anyone (almost) anywhere". She knows enough to seem omniscient, but it's an act as much as it's a reality.

And finally

I wonder if Makima does want to kill the Gun Devil. I doubt her superiors would be on board if she was, explaining her moves to centralize as much power as she can get without putting her superiors in the loop, and making the offer to Denji. (The slaughtering foreign assets is explained well enough with the other reveals this chapter.)

If Makima's long term gameplan involves stealing everyone's nukes, she's going to want as much help in her corner as she can get, because she's guaranteed a lot of enemies.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 15, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Huh.

Makima's smiling a little at the start of the meeting, but when Aki says he's staying on, that smile vanishes. It's not replaced with a frown, either. It's a pure, dead stare, with none of her usual "I love it when a plan comes together" grin to it. (The smile that probably contributed to Madoka quitting when it showed up on

Considering she said earlier he should try to live so she can use him on the Gun Devil operation, but just now she said it was fine if he ditched, and that her instruction to Aki were "Seriously, focus on staying alive.", I don't think he's an intentional sacrifice this time out, even if Makima knows what's likely coming down the pipe.

Power, on the other hand, might be. If Makima's parallels to Master are going to play out to the end, then she might be a way to make Denji feel guilt, or whatever else the finishing touch is. (Odd with how he clearly felt a bit of it already when killing the dolls, but if it's a different process, there could be a different requirement).

There's also the very weird close up on here folded hands. Like she's just slightly clenching them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Someone animated part of Jane Fell Asleep In Church today.

Chainsaw Man's been getting a lot of really good fanart. It's pretty impressive for a series without an anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Someone animated part of Jane Fell Asleep In Church today.

Chainsaw Man's been getting a lot of really good fanart. It's pretty impressive for a series without an anime.
Seriously, click on that link or hell...

https://twitter.com/abeben1219/status/1272507023368679425?s=20

See it here if you can. It's fan-drat-tastic.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I miss Bomb Devil 😭

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Thoren posted:

I miss Bomb Devil 😭

Bomb devil is alive and well in hell. It's the host we will never see again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Bomb devil is alive and well in hell. It's the host we will never see again.

Given what Denji's walked off, I assume Reze is still around. She's just... indisposed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
At what point then does the devil consider the host dead and gently caress off back to hell? Are they just trapped forever in the human world?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think devils have any control over their trips to or from hell. die in one and they pop up in the other, infinitely. they don't get to decide what constitutes death, same as anyone else.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

At what point then does the devil consider the host dead and gently caress off back to hell? Are they just trapped forever in the human world?

For hybrids I guess when the brain is destroyed?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

For hybrids I guess when the brain is destroyed?

Reze's head has exploded.

I think Makima meant it when she said Denji can't be killed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess the only thing that would permanently kill them is destroying every piece of their body? Though they only regenerate with blood so just keeping any pieces away from blood would eventually kill them when it rots away.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Denji is too wholesome to die.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Makima is best ????
https://imgur.com/a/aHaIqqN

chapter 74 speedscans

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Using mind control to get people to accept contracts feels like cheating.
Anyway I guess Makima actually is a devil/fiend then? I don't understand how her powers are so broad if she only has the abilities of one devil though. I think it's been said devils can't make contracts with other devils but maybe she found a loophole.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think this is going to go well.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Aki, you poor bastard :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There we go.

Was wondering when the other shoe would drop. Makima had done a lot so far that's sketchy, but nothing outright evil.

Now?

Now we've got it.

We've also gotten a few more answers beside that, even if we've still got a lot of questions.

Makima's contracts with other devils say she isn't a fiend, and probably isn't a devil. But she's definitely not human. (My money's on hybrid. She reacts to movies like Denji, and it probably means she can make both kinds of contract. Gaming the system like that is 100 percent Makima's style)

And even if her endgame's the same as the rest of public safety, it's pretty clear why Kishibe wants her dead and gone.

Ignorance is bliss, Chainsaw. But I have a feeling that you're not going to be able to keep it.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 19, 2020

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Aki no! Please just take your boyfriend and get the gently caress out of there!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Don't worry I am sure one of these characters will live to old age and die a peaceful death.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

So I'm guessing the big thing that's going to turn up later is that Denji is immune to Makima's mind control because of reasons

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thoren posted:

Don't worry I am sure one of these characters will live to old age and die a peaceful death.

My money's on Makima.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HerraS posted:

So I'm guessing the big thing that's going to turn up later is that Denji is immune to Makima's mind control because of reasons

I wouldn't be surprised if that powers is pretty conditional, even aside from Denji being immune. Kishibe and Himeno definitely haven't acted like they're on team Makima, and she's used other methods most of the time we've seen her manipulating people. She doesn't even whammy Aki until he pretty much says he wants to contract with her.

Also... Makima's not exactly a free agent, judging by how she talks about her bosses (who she isn't entirely fond of.) It's pretty likely she's the "truly necessary evil" kept on a tight leash by the state that she talked about when bringing the bag of eyeballs in.

...I wonder when the Angel Devil bit happened. Considering he wasn't kept as a boxed up Devil prior, Makima could have been doing that bit of shadiness during the events of the manga.

Denji, Denji, Denji. You're in dirtier business than you could ever know, aren't you?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Makima is the human devil. Humans are capable of the worst things.

Or she's the lawyer devil, please don't make contracts with her.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Every week I'm just left wishing it was the next week so I can read the next chapter. Just so good.

Now those unique eyes come into play. Previously my thoughts were that Makima may have been contracted with / embodied the fear of the state or civilisation. With her relationship with Denji almost like that of Gilgamesh & Enkidu. Her use of vermin having an obvious parallel to informers and spies and her literally crushing those who oppose her from miles away. Still beholden to those in charge but just as ready to turn upon them should things change.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, I've been on the Makima bad side since Reze but beyond that...Makima doesn't need a dog without fangs.

Maybe a devil of love? Or something to do with manipulating affection to gain control? Assuming that making AKi and Denji fall for her had any purpose beyond general manipulation.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 19, 2020

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I'm thinking that it wasn't a coincidence that the Angel began to recall his past just as Aki was put under the whammy, maybe Makima can only have a limited number of "orders" in place, and released the Angel from one so as to put Aki under another

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure what she's the devil of, but it could make sense if mind control is her only power. If she knows about most devils, she can control others into making contracts with them to use their powers. That way she gets to "use" the power of any devil she wants. Maybe it even works on animals? So she could force a rat to tell her what it's seen.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i saw someone say 'authority devil' and that would make a lot of sense too

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Why'd you start liking Makima?

...Huh? Why was it...?

THIS ISN'T THE FIRST TIME SHE'S DONE IT TO HIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah this whole situation is throwing off red flags

Who / what is Makima actually waiting for? We might not find out for a while; since there is a lapse in memory component to all of this